Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What road do you choose?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What road do you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 12:40 PM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
What road do you choose?

What road do you choose?
Do you always have a defined destination, or do you take delight in meandering?
What about surface ?
Paved and smooth ?
Dirt, sand or gravel ?
How about ice & snow ?
Flat or hilly?

Old 05-02-19, 12:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
The road less traveled, of course.

BTW, wasn’t Lewis Carroll high all the time?
Old 05-02-19, 12:51 PM
julius rensch

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................
You are so right eja_bottecchia...Carroll was always in Top Cog....
always also taking the High Road, while we plodded along the Low Road...

Julius in Northwood
Old 05-02-19, 12:52 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Because of my age, I plan out each ride and often ride routes with which I’m familiar. I usually let my wife know which route I’m taking - just in case. If I’m on paved routes, I ride my 1980 Pro Miyata, and on mixed surfaces/gravel, I take my newer C’dale CAADX. I suppose I have a collection of maybe 15 routes (with variations) that I’m comfortable with. I don’t ride in Winter - I’m a fair weather rider.
Old 05-02-19, 12:56 PM
julius rensch

Originally Posted by ddeand
Because of my age, I plan out each ride and often ride routes with which I’m familiar. I usually let my wife know which route I’m taking - just in case. If I’m on paved routes, I ride my 1980 Pro Miyata, and on mixed surfaces/gravel, I take my newer C’dale CAADX. I suppose I have a collection of maybe 15 routes (with variations) that I’m comfortable with. I don’t ride in Winter - I’m a fair weather rider.
Bravo ddeand..practical, safe and fun...what more is there?

Julius in Ohio
Old 05-02-19, 03:40 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Most roads in my county are paved (and pot holed), Country roads are lightly traveled, so that's what I use.KB
Old 05-02-19, 03:46 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
What have you got?

Old 05-02-19, 03:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old 05-02-19, 03:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by julius rensch
.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .................
You are so right eja_bottecchia...Carroll was always in Top Cog....
always also taking the High Road, while we plodded along the Low Road...

Julius in Northwood
Someone has to travel the low road.

There is a potentially unsavory side to Lewis’ high road, however.

Read Morton H. Cohen’s “Lewis Carroll: A Biography” (1995); and Donald Thomas biography of Carroll (can’t remember the title off hand).
Old 05-02-19, 08:19 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by julius rensch
Bravo ddeand..practical, safe and fun...what more is there?

Julius in Ohio
He never once stated or implied fun.
That leaves practical and safe.
What more is there to practical and safe?
Uhh, just everything.
Old 05-03-19, 02:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've gone into a whole lot of detail about the roads we ride here ... complete with photos!

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-ca...like-ride.html
Old 05-03-19, 03:45 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been cycling locally in Maryland, DC, PA and VA for 40 years so I don't tend to do a lot of "just exploring" anymore. Every now and then I will do a "just see where the handlebars take me" ride from my house but usually I either head out from home on the bike, or throw the bike on the car, and do a particular route that strikes my fancy that morning.

My favorite routes maximize safety, scenery and challenge. There are some roads I just will not ride on - I may bike 4,-5,000 miles per year on the roads around here but I drive my car about 5 times as much and there are bad stretches that seem to attract bad drivers.

I like biking by stuff to see: rivers, streams, views from hills, scenic old towns, etc. My favorite roads have a mix of all of those - and the combination of being near water and being on top of hills (not much around here really qualifies as "mountains"!) adds the challenging aspect - a decent amount of climbing. But, some of my favorite rides are along the Chesapeake Bay in Southern MD, where the climbing is just short steep stingers and no hilltop views - but amazing views of boats and water.

Most of my riding is road, with a few stretches of gravel or crushed limestone trails thrown in. Most of my rides are solo, but a few times a month I get the urge to ride in a sea of Lycra and do Potomac Pedalers group rides or charity rides. At least half of my rides are "throw the bike on the car" rides vs. just start out from home - I get bored seeing the same stuff more than once a month or so, and every now and then I get the urge to ride car-free and get on one of the many rail trails around here.

That's one of the beauties of cycling - pretty much no matter what you enjoy, it will be good for you...
Old 05-03-19, 04:18 AM
JenJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Quiet trails with some shades here and there, great if with a couple of cycling buddies or my cousins. I rather take bumpy gravels over the roads with traffics.
Old 05-03-19, 05:08 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
[size+=2]Because of my age, I plan out each ride and often ride routes with which I’m familiar. I usually let my wife know which route I’m taking - just in case. If I’m on paved routes, I ride my 1980 Pro Miyata, and on mixed surfaces/gravel, I take my newer C’dale CAADX. I suppose I have a collection of maybe 15 routes (with variations) that I’m comfortable with. I don’t ride in Winter - I’m a fair weather rider.
I'd say that has less to do with age and more to do with decisiveness, or prudence. I always plan my route but that's because my ride has less to do with competitiveness and more to do with distance. I'd have to ride at least 6 miles from home to get to my closest MIPs. After that I can choose to ride freely or just enjoy the sights.

Fast riding on our heavily congested roads only invites the likelihood of injury since I have to watch out for all the distracted motorist on the road. I don't expect any drivers to do the right thing by yielding, and I'm generally correct in that assumption. Females may be as good at driving as males but the most certainly aren't' as precise at following the rules.

Walking home from the gym I nearly got hit as one women didn't stop her car until she was smack in the middle of the cross walk.

I gestured to her where the crosswalk line begins, but I doubt if she even say me with the triple-decker burger she was eating blocking her view. Californians practically live in their cars so that means drive part-time when you're dinning.
Old 05-03-19, 05:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What road do you choose?
Originally Posted by Machka
I've gone into a whole lot of detail about the roads we ride here ... complete with photos!

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-ca...like-ride.html
Just this morning I noted that @Machka had bumped that thread today, started in 2014. Back then I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural. I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):

• Enchanted
...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders...
  • Exurban (no residences, no commercial buildings)
  • Residential: Urban (dense, multi-unit dwellings), Suburban (single unattached homes)
  • Light commercial (storefronts close to the sidewalk, street parking)
  • Heavy commercial (shopping malls, driveway accesses, parking lots)
  • Industrial: (dreary vistas, rough roads, debris-strewn)
But,
… almost every road is a good road if you ride it early enough in the day.
PS: It just occured to me, though I don't ride in the downtown proper, I should probably add a category of "Downtown," as typified by the urban canyons and narrow, often-crowded streets of Manhattan, or the Financial District of Boston.

Downtown riding would, IMO rank just ahead of "heavy commercial."
The de facto poet laureate of the Metro Boston thread posted:
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Metro Bostonians have mastered a lot of the same roads. We all have very individual, favorite routes. I bet we could compile a list of favorite sections of roads where the sun, shade, swoops and turns fly by just right.

From this forum, we could rate roads with traffic and without, swoops, trails, water fountains, hill climbs, stops, historical, flora, fauna, mysterious tourists and places where they sell fig newtons.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-03-19 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 05:19 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Yes. As was Poe. It does not diminish the quality of their work.
Writing is one of those wonderful few jobs that can benefit from being high...

I also ride the road less traveled. Ther's not as much traffic.
Old 05-03-19, 05:31 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Nah, that was Rick Derringer:

Old 05-03-19, 06:07 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd

I hope you're not implying you need to be high to be a good writer? Then again, I suppose that depends on the type of writing you do. If you're going to write about your internal demons, then I guess being high is the best way to meet them.
Old 05-03-19, 07:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
@julius rensch
What road do you choose?
Do you always have a defined destination, or do you take delight in meandering?
I mostly commute to work and back home, so my destinations are usually defined, and I have various routes I know are safe. Sometimes I may take a different street or two for additional variety, or jump from one route to another where they cross. However, on my weekend rides I will pick a destination and plan a route to get there; sometimes I will stray from it as I explore an interesting street or path, and sometimes I change the destination.
What about surface ?
Paved and smooth ?
Dirt, sand or gravel ?
Mostly paved roads and hard-packed dirt, sometimes gravel. Two of my bikes are road bikes with relatively narrow 700c wheels (700x28 and 700x35). My MTB-based commuter has 26x1.85(inch) smoothies for the road, which work on dort and loose gravel, but not loose sand or snow.
How about ice & snow ?
I put studded, treaded snow tires on the mountain bike for winter commuting.
Flat or hilly?
I'm in Colorado Springs, so it's mostly very hilly. When I visit my family in Chicago I cannot get over how flat it is there, and I grew up there.

my rides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bgvideo62/playlists
Old 05-03-19, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
All of the above (except ice and snow).
Old 05-03-19, 07:36 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I do a lot of both. Most of my riding is still commuting, but I usually get out for at least one ride on the weekends. I always take the same route in to work, but so far, I've got about 5 different routes home, depending mostly on how I feel, and whether I feel like going through the fast rollers, doing some hill climbing, or just cruising.

My weekend rides, I usually just pick a direction, and start pedalling. I'll go through neighborhoods, get myself thoroughly lost several times (often running into poorly marked dead ends), and love every minute of it. Sometimes, I'll hop on the local MUP, and just see where it goes (I've still got one direction I haven't explored more than about 5 miles).

So...all of the above?
Old 05-03-19, 07:37 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'd say that has less to do with age and more to do with decisiveness, or prudence.
While I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, I maybe should add a bit more info. At 71, I am also taking blood thinners due to a pulmonary embolism last year. My doctor stressed that I really need to guard against internal bleeding if I crash and encouraged me to ride with others as much as possible. I decided to stop mountain biking (where I defintely crashed a few times each season) and have stuck with road and gravel riding. Surprisingly to me, as I’ve aged, I’ve become more prudent and decisive and have chosen to err on the side of covering my bases while still enjoying being on my bike. I’m really fortunate that I live in an area (Twin Cities, Minnesota) that has a ton of great, long trails and some wonderful gravel riding.
Old 05-03-19, 08:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I have a regular ride , although not set in stone , I ride into Ventura from my house on the east end of Santa Paula . I usually visit the beach or the harbor and then back again. This gives me a 35 mile or so ride . For now there are orchards between the cities so it is nice. I always let my wife know where I am. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-03-19, 08:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd

Poe really wasn't. That was a bit of successful character assassination when an author he had been feuding with got the opportunity to write his obituary.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-03-19, 09:09 AM
88Tempo

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I like to make up my mind after I have been riding for a bit. My wife on the other hand always wants to know what bike, where I'm going and how long I'll be gone. So I usually set a route before heading out the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.