Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TT position on group rides

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

TT position on group rides

Old 12-01-20, 11:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
What if it's a rider who you know is smooth, experienced in a group, and has good judgement?
I asked riders with TT or Tri bars sit in the back. I don't like that their shifters are up on the aerobars and brakes on the bullhorns. They have to move their hands to an unstable position to shift. I don't mind clip-ons and use them myself, so I know well what the dangers are.
Old 12-01-20, 11:42 AM
Bah Humbug
runner

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6535 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I asked riders with TT or Tri bars sit in the back. I don't like that their shifters are up on the aerobars and brakes on the bullhorns. They have to move their hands to an unstable position to shift. I don't mind clip-ons and use them myself, so I know well what the dangers are.
Di2 renders that last bit moot.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-01-20, 11:54 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 122 Posts
One more try at this. TT Bars whether they are equipped with brake levers or not, do not mix well in a pack riding environment. The handling characteristics are totally different and a reaction to a sudden change in the group by a pothole, puncture, wheel rub or other unforeseen issues will exasperate the problem. There is a reason it is rare for Aerobars are permitted in an organized group ride or event. But to each their own so if it is the consensus in the group to allow TT Bars then that's up to them and enjoy your outing.
Old 12-01-20, 11:56 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 135 Posts
What if it's a rider who you know is smooth, experienced in a group, and has good judgement?
I would say, “Hey man, I know you’re a super strong rider, but when you’re on your bars you’re a touch more wobbly than I’m used to from you and it’s freaking me out. Could you maybe just use the drops?” And they would say, “No worries Bill, wasn’t my intention to screw you up.”
Old 12-01-20, 12:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Di2 renders that last bit moot.
Good point.
Old 12-01-20, 12:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I asked riders with TT or Tri bars sit in the back. I don't like that their shifters are up on the aerobars and brakes on the bullhorns.
TT bikes can have shifters on both the extensions and base bars.

They have to move their hands to an unstable position to shift.
Where do you draw the line? For example, if someone shows up on downtube shifters, do they also need to stay in the back?

Originally Posted by billridesbikes View Post
I would say, ďHey man, I know youíre a super strong rider, but when youíre on your bars youíre a touch more wobbly than Iím used to from you and itís freaking me out.
What if they're not wobbly?
Old 12-01-20, 12:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 1,564 Times in 791 Posts
I would think that riders who would show up with downtube shifters have probably been riding long enough that they can shift safely in a group.
Old 12-01-20, 12:53 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I would think that riders who would show up with downtube shifters have probably been riding long enough that they can shift safely in a group.
Well, they might only have downtube shifters because the bike was convenient to pick up on the cheap. And how does this situation differ from a person who happens to be on a TT bike, but who is a skilled and safety-conscious group rider, aside from differences in the arm motion demanded from the particular shifter placement?

(For what it's worth, I've shown up to a number of group rides on a bike with downtube shifters, and have never been questioned about it.)
Old 12-01-20, 12:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 1,564 Times in 791 Posts
In theory, there's none. Probably my bias against triathletes who show up to race rides with big engines and no bike handling skills. (I used to be one of those guys before I learned how to ride a bike properly.)
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-01-20, 01:01 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 775 Posts
Thanks. The only time I've shown up without downtube shifters, I've been on a fix gear. (Actually not true, My Mooney had SunTour Command shifters for a few years until I reverted back to DTs. But little group riding over those years.)
Old 12-01-20, 01:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 551 Posts
In theory, there's none. Probably my bias against triathletes who show up to race rides with big engines and no bike handling skills. (I used to be one of those guys before I learned how to ride a bike properly.)
Not that you're wrong, but I think that's called "profiling."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-01-20, 01:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 148 Posts
Yeah, I've done it in front only, and only periodically. I've seen a couple of others do it as well. I do love that position when riding solo though.
Old 12-01-20, 02:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I'll just leave everyone to manage their own group rides. How 'bout that? Just what I'd need, someone in the group who'd argue with me. Thinking back, I don't think that's ever happened. There have been email exchanges after the ride, and I did lose a rider from one of those. If you want's their own rules, start your own ride. I don't publish rules. I decide in the moment how it's going to be. I do give a pre-ride in which I outline general expectations. Sometimes those are followed, sometimes not. If your group grows, you're doing it right. If not, not. It's tricky.

Back in my "youth," I could run the paceline and make sure everything was working well. Haven't done a group ride since March, but the last few years, we've been off the back and ask how it went when we get in.
Old 12-01-20, 02:36 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 68 Posts
You could be sitting on that bike backwards and I'd still be focused on the bike... so many things to distract one from your forearms on the bar position.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 12-01-20, 02:37 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 165 Posts
Even the best of riders have accidents. There are crashes that occur that not the fault of the riders, but something beyond their control.
Old 12-01-20, 02:39 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©ģ, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 7675 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,129 Posts
Where do you draw the line? For example, if someone shows up on downtube shifters, do they also need to stay in the back?
I did a ride with downtube shifters, and they did ask me to roll near the back. Every time I shifted, they thought I was pointing out a hazard.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-01-20, 04:41 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked 1,330 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I did a ride with downtube shifters, and they did ask me to roll near the back. Every time I shifted, they thought I was pointing out a hazard.
Really?!? Most of the group rides I've been on in the last 5 years were with C&V riders.

i think the best answer lies in answering 2 questions. How fast a group? How tight a pack or paceline?

Fast and tight - everyone needs to be attentive and immediately ready to adjust speed.
Slower and loose - enjoy the scenery
Old 12-01-20, 04:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3390 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 445 Posts
Around here, I don't think anyone would have an issue with it if you were on the front or off the back. Anywhere in the group, and you should be able to cover your brakes.
No problem here.. coaster brakes work just fine.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-01-20, 04:52 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I have clip-on aerobars on my Specialized Roubaix. I ride a lot of solo long-distance stuff and there is just a massive advantage to being lower, supported, and comfortable on aerobars.

With that being said, I generally try and not use them on group rides. I'll ride in the drops mostly, with ample control of shifting and brakes.

The one exception - with groups I regularly ride with - is if we're putting the hurt on for a 10km stretch or something, averaging 38-45kph ... then when I'm at the front pushing 45kph and holding fast on the aerobars no one seems to mind. Again, this is on good, straight roads with lots of visibility.

I'm also pretty stable and comfortable on bars, to the point where I can climb out of the saddle in them ... I can also sprint fully tucked with no arms on the drops (Think Naruto style?)

TLR It all comes down to your handling ability, the comfort of your group and the conditions around you.
Old 12-01-20, 06:05 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I guess you wouldn't want to reach for a water bottle either.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-01-20, 06:21 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: Felt AR, Longteng LTK 118 with Chinese carbon everything.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood View Post

I'm also pretty stable and comfortable on bars, to the point where I can climb out of the saddle in them ... I can also sprint fully tucked with no arms on the drops (Think Naruto style?)

Why?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 12-01-20, 06:37 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post

Why?
For ****s and giggles ... mostly to make people laugh.
Old 12-01-20, 07:29 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 113 Posts
Well, they might only have downtube shifters because the bike was convenient to pick up on the cheap. And how does this situation differ from a person who happens to be on a TT bike, but who is a skilled and safety-conscious group rider, aside from differences in the arm motion demanded from the particular shifter placement?

(For what it's worth, I've shown up to a number of group rides on a bike with downtube shifters, and have never been questioned about it.)
IMHO, thereís a big difference between being able to access the brakes and accessing your shifters.

If you canít break timely and appropriately in the middle of a pace line, youíre a hazard to the group.

if you canít shift, itís only an issue for your own efficiency.

and seriously, if you canít shift a down tube shifter in a group, you have bigger issues.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 12-01-20, 07:53 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood View Post
For ****s and giggles ... mostly to make people laugh.
In a "Here, hold my beer" kind of way?
Old 12-01-20, 08:03 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
IMHO, thereís a big difference between being able to access the brakes and accessing your shifters.
I wasn't talking about using downtube shifters versus being on the aerobars. I was responding to Carbonfiberboy's concern about people shifting bar-end shifters on a time-trial bike while riding the base bars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.