Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone put a 52v pack on top bar of mtb?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 07:35 PM
Glem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 2003 intense uzzi slx and putting a bbshd kit. Basically installed everything but I made a template for the yet to be received battery and now realize it's only going to be an inch or so from the front tire.

Wish I could upload pics here but I'm new, has anyone installed a 52v21ah (big) battery pack onto the top of top bar?

Has rear suspension so a back rack wouldn't work well I wouldn't think and would rather not have it over the back wheel.

Any ideas or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-21, 10:29 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I use a seat bag for 52V, 4 or 6 amp batteries with my BBS02. Your battery will be too large for anything but a really large seat bag as utilized by bike packers.
Old 01-18-21, 10:47 PM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I use a seat bag for 52V, 4 or 6 amp batteries with my BBS02. Your battery will be too large for anything but a really large seat bag as utilized by bike packers.
Thanks, yeah I think I'll just mount it to the top of the top tube. Be like a gas tank on a dirt bike, I didn't know about those seat bags might be a good option.
Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by Glem; 01-18-21 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 11:13 AM
2old

Another possibility that some use (not for me though) is a backpack with a quick release for the electric connector. I built a bike for my daughter with a top tube mounted battery, and the system works well for road riding.
Old 01-19-21, 11:28 AM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah the top mount looks clean there. One thing I'm going to try first, I've rotated the motor so it's at around the 4 o'clock position relative to the bottom bracket.

This will let me slide the motor down almost 4 inches, I'll make the nuts that secure the motor to the bottom bracket very tight and hopefully it doesnt rotate under torque. If it does end up wanting to do that I'll mount to the top of top bar.

Thank you 2old I'll keep this thread updated.
Old 01-19-21, 11:31 AM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Oh and looking at it the torque is applied clockwise on the crank isnt it? So in my mind it wouldn't have to be rotated up to rest against the bottom of the down tube would it to be braced there would it?

Maybe I have it backwards.
Old 01-19-21, 03:25 PM
2old

Won't your ground clearance be compromised? Also, Luna (maybe California e bike) has a stabilizer bar that might help keep he motor from moving.
Old 01-19-21, 07:03 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Glem
Oh and looking at it the torque is applied clockwise on the crank isnt it? So in my mind it wouldn't have to be rotated up to rest against the bottom of the down tube would it to be braced there would it?

Maybe I have it backwards.
Yes, the motor wants to rotate opposite to the normal pedaling direction. It will want to push up against the downtube. I highly recommend getting a stabilizer bar. I needed one for my BBS02. What about using a frame bag? That's the most common for large packs. It can be a little tricky with full suspension, but there's usually room.
Old 01-19-21, 07:27 PM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Won't your ground clearance be compromised? Also, Luna (maybe California e bike) has a stabilizer bar that might help keep he motor from moving.
I still have 9 inches when sitting on it should be enough, thanks for the heads up on the stabilizer bar.

Originally Posted by gsa103
Yes, the motor wants to rotate opposite to the normal pedaling direction. It will want to push up against the downtube. I highly recommend getting a stabilizer bar. I needed one for my BBS02. What about using a frame bag? That's the most common for large packs. It can be a little tricky with full suspension, but there's usually room.
Was a brainfart moment newton's law does apply haha. Yeah I'll look into that stabilizer bar but the battery will only fit on top of the top tube or below the bottom tube. It's too big for between upper and lower tubes if that's what you're thinking.

it's a 2003 intense uzzi slx for reference.
Old 01-21-21, 02:42 AM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Battery came and I've put it under lower bar and went for my first ride. I bought some 2ft long 200lb tensile strength zip ties for a temp mount used 6 of them it's very solid for temp mount. I'll keep it like this for a few weeks and see if the motor tries to rotate. I really snugged up the steel nut tight and don't see it moving.

If it seems to be staying put I'll put some nutzerts into the frame.

Might go for the Luna stabilizer can it be used in any position I want? Or made for bracing in the motor against frame position?

Will cost double the price of the stabilizer to ship it to me in Canada. So 15$ will turn into 50 pretty fast. Thanks for the help all I appreciate it. I'll post a pic once I'm able.
Old 01-21-21, 10:13 AM
2old

Sounds like your bottom bracket is 73 mm, and you weren't able to use the "jam" nut in which case I think the motor probably will loosen eventually (some have used LockTite effectively though). The system with a 68 mm BB, where there's room for the second nut, has stayed tight on my bike for almost six years. The Luna arm seems designed for an installation in which the motor is braced against the down tube, but may be adapted to others depending where other attachment points may be. BTW, I think you'll be much happier with the way the bike handles with the battery in its present location than on the top tube.
Old 01-21-21, 11:21 AM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like your bottom bracket is 73 mm, and you weren't able to use the "jam" nut in which case I think the motor probably will loosen eventually (some have used LockTite effectively though). The system with a 68 mm BB, where there's room for the second nut, has stayed tight on my bike for almost six years. The Luna arm seems designed for an installation in which the motor is braced against the down tube, but may be adapted to others depending where other attachment points may be. BTW, I think you'll be much happier with the way the bike handles with the battery in its present location than on the top tube.
Mine is 68mm and am able to use the jam nut so yeah that should help. And agreed that's a good reason to keep the weight low. Really loving this thing I knew I would. Thanks again for the valuable advice 2old.👍

Last edited by Glem; 01-21-21 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 12:02 PM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here we go, put a 42t lekkie on this am (not pictured) again just a temp zip tie battery mount for a couple weeks to see if the motor shifts before I install with nutzerts.

You can now see why battery mounting was a bit tricky

Old 01-22-21, 12:29 PM
2old

My 52V down tube mounted battery uses a Luna magnetic mount system (sleeve and individual magnets screwed into water bottle cage mounts) which is augmented with a toe strap. You might adapt your "dolphin" pack in a similar manner with zip ties to add extra security. Should be able to ensure excellent stability.
Old 01-22-21, 12:49 PM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My 52V down tube mounted battery uses a Luna magnetic mount system (sleeve and individual magnets screwed into water bottle cage mounts) which is augmented with a toe strap. You might adapt your "dolphin" pack in a similar manner with zip ties to add extra security. Should be able to ensure excellent stability.
Dolphin pack will not fit where the water bottle goes so I'll install some nutzerts/rivnuts in the frame to hang it off of and yeah will probably keep a zip tie or two to add stability. 👍
Old 01-22-21, 01:13 PM
2old

I wasn't clear, but meant under where it is now, but with "water bottle" "zerks" with magnets attached and "channel" adhered to bottom of dolphin pack. Still not clear though. You're on the right track IMO.
Old 01-30-21, 05:06 PM
Glem

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
All solid now, mounted with the rivnuts and heavy duty zip ties for support.

What a forest machine.