Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are people are super weird when asked for serial numbers?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 05:11 PM
zachleft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

I've been looking for a vintage cannondale, and as many of you know the frame size and year are usually featured in the serial number found on the older frames.

I've definitely run into a few people who were definitely selling stolen bikes based on their responses, but it just seems in general that a lot of people get weird when you ask for something as simple as a serial number.

I don't know if I merely underestimated how many stolen bikes there are out there or if people are stupid enough to think that giving me the serial number on their bike is somehow going to give me access to their credit card info. Because that's sure what it feels like.
Old 01-20-21, 05:29 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
It's not you. I got the same type of responses when contacting sellers on CL and ebay. Obviously, there really are a lot of hot bikes out there. Unfortunately, most cop shops don't want to be bothered when you report one stolen, even if you're providing the S/N. And my experience contacting the local cop shop to find out if a bike is stolen is a total joke. I was told if I want it, buy it. Period. They obviously have more important issues to deal with.
Old 01-20-21, 05:42 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
If a guy on craigslist would not give me a serial number, I would make a post on craiglist in his town telling people not to do business with him and explain why.
I have not had that problem on EBAY. I would complain to ebay if I had.
Old 01-20-21, 05:53 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I wouldn't give you the serial number on any of my bikes, just as I wouldn't give you my social security number. I don't know you. And I don't know how you might use the information.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-20-21, 05:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I wouldn't give you the serial number on any of my bikes, just as I wouldn't give you my social security number. I don't know you. And I don't know how you might use the information.
Can I at least have your credit card number and your mothers maiden name?

I don't know if I would give out serial number if I sold a bike to someone I didn't already know. However I would have an excellent description and pictures of the bike and be quite honest about it and would probably go back and forth with someone if they were serious and probably give it up after a bit. Then again I am terrible at selling bikes, I occasionally sell to friends and that is rare.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-20-21, 06:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Maybe the issue is that a rightful owner of a bike, has nowhere to register their serial number, or didn't do this when they bought the bike XX years ago? So a prospective 'buyer' comes along, asks for the seller's ser#, and then goes and files that number with the police as that of their stolen bike and they 'found' an attempt to sell it online.. etc etc
Old 01-20-21, 06:35 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Serial

If a seller wont allow me to run the Serial# in advance against the bike registry websites, I'm not buying it whatever the price.
Last thing I want to be doing is face-to-face and declining a bike registered as stolen.

Barry
Old 01-20-21, 07:08 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Seller doesn't know the serial number, doesn't know how to find it or doesn't care enough to search for it?
Old 01-20-21, 07:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I've only sold a half dozen bikes on CL through the years and never had anyone ask for the serial #. I've bought 3 or 4 on ebay and never thought to ask for the #. When I've advertised bikes for sale I've given most of the info anyone would need. Never had to get into a back and forth and I wouldn't have much patience for it. That said, these are bikes worth less than $1000. $5000 or $10000 bikes might warrant more scrutiny by both parties.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-20-21, 07:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry22
If a seller wont allow me to run the Serial# in advance against the bike registry websites, I'm not buying it.
So be it. I've flipped fifty bikes or so over the last several years and never been asked for the serial. Maybe that's surprising. I usually write a ton of info and build detail in my listings, so I never really get any bike-relatated questions to begin with. Maybe, "what tires will fit?"
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-20-21, 07:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Over the years hundreds of pictures of serial numbers, or posts including serial numbers, have been posted on Bike Forums.

Old 01-20-21, 07:25 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
So be it. I've flipped fifty bikes or so over the last several years and never been asked for the serial. Maybe that's surprising. I usually write a ton of info and build detail in my listings, so I never really get any bike-relatated questions to begin with. Maybe, "what tires will fit?"
I've only asked for S/n's when the seller didn't provide all the relevant information and I thought by running the number I could learn it on my own. Sounds like you know how to sell a bike. Good on you!
Old 01-20-21, 07:34 PM
zachleft

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
The only reason I ask for the serial number is because they fail to list the frame size in their listings (which frustratingly is a lot of the time) and the vintage cannondale frames literally have that information in the serial number. And I explain that in my request for it. Sometimes I'll get ignored, or they say they looked but can't find it (despite me telling them exactly where it is).

Most recently, there was a cannondale black lightning on facebook, no frame size listed. After responding immediately to me inquiring into the availability, I asked him if I could get the serial# and told him it'll contain the frame size. He took a full day to respond to me and shoots back "I'm pretty sure it's a 56cm", just completely glossing over the serial#. Like he's listing it from his main facebook account, I'm fairly certain it's not stolen, but still weird about the serial number.

In regards to newer bikes I won't bother to ask since most of the time the frame size is on a sticker so the seller usually includes it in the listing.

Last edited by zachleft; 01-20-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 12:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Craigslist Displays It

The serial number is a data field when you create a listing. It's my habit to enter the serial number there when I sell. Why not? It usually helps to verify the production year in my description.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-21-21, 07:11 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Why are you weird when people ask you for a serial number?
Old 01-21-21, 08:19 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
It may not be stolen bikes. Some people will just not know what you are talking about and equal that with you asking for private information. Sellers that don't provide enough information, also are too lazy to look up the SN.

I don't buy used bikes. But once I helped my MIL to buy a car in the up to $5K range. I assume none of the cars were stolen. But the responses I got when I just asked some reasonable questions. Like if the timing belt maintenance was done, of if they have the title (i.e. paid off). Some ignored me, some just told me to "f... off!". Some cars turned out to not have registration anymore and I was told I could do a test drive on a road nearby that "for sure never has cops". i just translate that experience into bike sellers.
Old 01-21-21, 09:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe the issue is that a rightful owner of a bike, has nowhere to register their serial number, or didn't do this when they bought the bike XX years ago? So a prospective 'buyer' comes along, asks for the seller's ser#, and then goes and files that number with the police as that of their stolen bike and they 'found' an attempt to sell it online.. etc etc
This was my thought.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-21-21, 01:30 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I think there's probably an inflation adjusted dollar figure of the level of reasonableness for this serial number topic.

I'd say $3000 for a bike or more.

Under that, it's either cheaper enough or older enough that somebody likely didn't keep the original documentation for it that has your "proof of purchase" that matches you as the actual owner. Given that local police are almost worthless on petty theft and serial #'s, I don't really see the point at low price points or older models.

If you didn't keep the original documentation for proof of purchase and would have to find a s/n on a frame on an older bike, it might be scratched up or unreadable.

Or, YOU bought it used from the original owner but didn't receive any original documentation. You now have a bike with a s/n that doesn't connect you to it.

I work in pharma. We have s/n on everything so you know that device ID GL291AP001 was replaced with the numerically identical item and not a duplicate with a misplaced label. Nothing to do with "theft". It's also usually how you decode the options or size for an item.

I don't find it unreasonable for somebody to not be able or unwilling to give it OR somebody to ask for it.

Just make a personal decision on what it's worth to you based on the seller and the price range.
Old 01-22-21, 09:07 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Just thinking out-loud a bit here. Could it be possible that some bold scammer could ask for and get the S/N and then use it to file a theft report? From there, this crook could then "magically" find his stolen bike advertised for sale and enlist the help of police to "recover" it. Yes, the seller would have some evidence to support his position that he is being scammed (e.g. emails from the scammer); however such evidence could reasonably be claimed to have been faked. The scammer would have to be bold and convincing, though, and it would take a bit of planning to establish evidence of ownership. Watch for people taking selfies of themselves with bikes.