Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter gravel cycling - Weather question

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 09:08 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I live in a place that has 4 proper seasons (Czech Republic) and I really try riding consistently all year. Spring, summer, fall I tend to ride around 3-4 days a week (2-4 hours per ride) and in winter probably twice a week (2 hours per ride). Anyone in here who has lived somewhere with nice, warmer weather all year long? A place that really has no winters? If so, how is that? Cuz I do miss my more frequent riding and longer rides during my winter. Harder to do in winter as some days just too cold or snow/ice on roads/trails in woods. I often wonder how life would be to live somewhere with that type of climate. I could go outside throughout the year apart from rain, lets say. I've only lived my life (47 yrs) in places with 4 seasons so I'm totally clueless to places with 1 or 2 seasons. Just sometimes contemplate a move, but who knows.
Old 01-20-21, 07:21 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
I live in a place that has 4 proper seasons (Czech Republic) sometimes contemplate a move, but who knows.
You know we’re nuts when we think about moving to accommodate cycling!
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 01-21-21, 04:20 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Here in the California Bay Area its pretty temperate most of the year. It gets hot for a few weeks during the summer and it rains a few weeks during the winter. But in general most of the year seems to be between 65 to 85 degrees F.

Cold during the winter is below about 55 degrees F just so you know how spoiled we are here and what "winter" is like around here. Last weekend it was 70 degrees F and I just wore my summer kit.
Old 01-22-21, 09:26 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Noonievut
You know we’re nuts when we think about moving to accommodate cycling!
haha
Old 01-22-21, 09:27 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by KJ43
Here in the California Bay Area its pretty temperate most of the year. It gets hot for a few weeks during the summer and it rains a few weeks during the winter. But in general most of the year seems to be between 65 to 85 degrees F.

Cold during the winter is below about 55 degrees F just so you know how spoiled we are here and what "winter" is like around here. Last weekend it was 70 degrees F and I just wore my summer kit.
wow, how is that life? living somewhere with more or less totally perfect weather all year long??
Old 01-22-21, 09:31 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
wow, how is that life? living somewhere with more or less totally perfect weather all year long??
Haha. It's pretty good in general except for the cost of living. The Bay Area where I live is ridiculous, but the Bay and being near to the Pacific Ocean contribute to the climate here. There are areas in California that are more reasonable to live costwise. It's always pluses and minuses...hehe.
Old 01-22-21, 09:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
eaglesandcycling do you know the axiom, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence”? Remember, in warm climates there are more insects which can kill you!

On a serious note, do you have a fat bike? Those are awesome for winter riding in terms of all condition capability. They’re probably not helpful if you want to be out riding longer and cold is the limiting factor, but you can get out more often because conditions are not a problem, and you can get excellent workout pushing a fatbike in the snow.
Old 01-24-21, 12:35 AM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
It's not just weather. Further north you get the long summer days where it doesn't get dark until late, so you have more flexible time or time for longer rides while it is light out. Further south you go the less you get that. A little extra daylight in the winter and less in the summer. So at the equator you get 12/12 hrs of each throughout the year. Probably not a liner change as you mover north.