Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What happened to Titanium bikes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 12:47 PM
MK313

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe not the right forum for this, but I'm not really sure what is, so please move as appropriate. Whatever happened to Titanium bikes. Several years ago, they were the hottest things going, but now I rarely hear about them being built any more.
Old 08-05-10, 12:54 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't Scandium is the king now, I hear. Also steel is cool again
Old 08-05-10, 01:30 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Carbon.
Old 08-05-10, 01:33 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Carbon.
But Ti was supposed to be better than Carbon, no?
Old 08-05-10, 01:35 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Isn't Scandium is the king now, I hear. Also steel is cool again
Scandium is just an alloying agent with aluminum that allows for better welding.

To answer MK313's question: It's still around. And still expensive. Here's my two (both made in my own state)

I even commuted home last night on the Moots.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-05-10, 01:37 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

It is. The cockroaches will be riding Ti bikes while snacking on the carbon ones after the Apocalypse
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-05-10, 02:14 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It's still around. And still expensive.
if you're willing to join the dark side (bikesdirect.com), Titanium is not that expensive anymore.

here's my BD.com titanium pony that i commute with every (non-rain) day. titanium frame, full ultegra everything, and decent mavic wheels for 2,000 bucks. i'd call that fairly affordable, or at least not egregiously expensive. there's even a lower end model of my bike that's only 1,700 bucks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Steely Dan; 08-05-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 02:14 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kent and Kate Erickson gave me a tour of their Ti framebuilding shop when I visited Steamboat. Now I'm Ti-curious.
Old 08-05-10, 02:22 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Depends what you mean by better. For the same money you can get a lighter, stiffer carbon frame. Cheaper Titanium frames can be flexy unless you use oversized tubes which of course makes them heavier. Still pretty light but not as light as carbon.

A friend of mine rides an older carbon/Ti frame. For all the worries about carbon durability it was one of the Ti tubes on his frame that cracked (right around one of the bottle cage mounts). It was replaced under warranty with a better frame.
Old 08-05-10, 02:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Maybe yes, maybe no. But that wasn't the question!
Old 08-05-10, 02:50 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
if you're willing to join the dark side (bikesdirect.com), Titanium is not that expensive anymore.

here's my BD.com titanium pony that i commute with every (non-rain) day. titanium frame, full ultegra everything, and decent mavic wheels for 2,000 bucks. i'd call that fairly affordable, or at least not egregiously expensive.
Mine was only about $1000 more. And it was made within 30 miles of my front door and I got to put it all together...Neener. Neener

Old 08-05-10, 04:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The raw material Titanium Metal is expensive.. and has to be welded in a special inert gas filled Jig to keep Oxygen away from the weld

OTOH if you Knock the bottom out of the labor costs by having a carbon fiber composite frame made in China
they can be made pretty cheaply.
Old 08-05-10, 05:22 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I was at the Serotta factory last week and they are still making Ti, but it seems that they do a lot of carbon these days as well. The one question that I had I never had a chance to ask: What %age of the frames are carbon vs. Ti, vs. Steel. They do make some carbon/ti frames too, so maybe the best of both. Their frames are VERY expensive.

And yes, they did show the special welding jig. They also make all their own fittings, shells, cable stops etc...

And anybody interested can visit on Fridays at 11am in Saratoga Springs, NY. Go in July so you can see the races (horses, not bikes) too. Nice town.

Last edited by zacster; 08-05-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 05:31 PM
csimons

Bikes: 2009 Windsor Wellington

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nice pad!
Old 08-05-10, 06:24 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Carbon has certainly eclipsed Ti in road bike frames due to the lower materials and labor costs. Until they figure out how to attach racks (with reasonable weight capacity ratings) to carbon frames, they're not likely to become mainstream for commuter bikes. All the metals will likely remain the material of choice in commuter bikes for the foreseeable future.

The nice thing about Ti for a commuter bike is it's pretty much indestructible, and it doesn't require paint. The scratches, wear and tear commuter bikes see in bike racks just buffs right out with a Scotchbrite pad. Good as new.

For this reason, earlier this year I picked up a '96 Litespeed Classic. It doesn't have rack mounts, but the purpose of this bike is to see if Ti lives up to its reputation for ride and durability, before I pony up for a custom-made Ti commuter.

This is the first build-up, using components borrowed from my steel roadie.

I've been using it to commute on the middle two days of my four-day work week (and for weekend rides). I haul in my stuff with a racked bike on Monday, use a racked bike to haul it all home on Thursday, then ride the Litespeed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It's been working out real well.

I'm liking the frame a lot, as much for the classic parallel 73° geometry as for the feel of Ti. I haven't decided if I like Ti or steel better, but since I commute year 'round, I wouldn't want to subject a custom steel frame to the road salt, so in the commuting role, Ti will be the choice for me.

If you're looking for an off-the-rack Ti bike for commuting, Lynskey's $1,400 Cooper CX frame looks like a good platform to build from.
Old 08-05-10, 07:27 PM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Didn't Ti sort of come into play in a big way when the old USSR broke up and Russia hit the market with a bunch that they had stock piled?
Old 08-06-10, 02:06 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The raw material Titanium Metal is expensive.. and has to be welded in a special inert gas filled Jig to keep Oxygen away from the weld
That's true of pretty much every type of metal. Oxygen messes up welds, that's why every type of arc welding uses a shielding gas. Both Aluminium and Titanium pretty much have to be welded using a TIG set-up with Argon as a shielding gas, while steel can get away with cheaper alternatives, however, I have yet to see a steel (or any welded frame) that wasn't Tigged together.
Old 08-06-10, 05:53 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
ti

Ti is still around and a great choice if you want a lifetime frame. I've got a ti and a steel Eddy Merckx, both with in the same size and geometry and nearly identical components. They handle the same but the ti frame rides smoother and is my choice for long rides. It is perhaps 1 lb. lighter than the steel frame. The main advantages to ti frames, in my book, are that they won't rust and you don't have to worry about scratching or chipping the paint. Of course, you can always paint a ti frame but that sort of defeats some of its key advantages. Part of the reason why ti frames are lighter is because you don't have to paint them, and paint adds weight to frame. I generally take my ti bike when traveling because it is so easy to scratch and chip paint when loading and unloading bikes.

If I were going to invest all the money it takes to buy a custom frame these days, I would seriously consider ti. Assuming that you have your size and geometry needs dialed in, a ti frame should last your lifetime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Merckx AX 1.jpg (93.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by tarwheel; 08-06-10 at 05:54 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-06-10, 06:34 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
A friend of mine rides an older carbon/Ti frame. For all the worries about carbon durability it was one of the Ti tubes on his frame that cracked (right around one of the bottle cage mounts). It was replaced under warranty with a better frame.
My LBS owner is concerned about the durability of carbon and he says many of the other shop owners he knows are as well. He is afraid that carbon frames are going to be a big problem for the industry as they age because, according to him, they are starting to see a high failure rate in older frames. He will still gladly sell you a carbon bike though, or one with a carbon fork as he did to me. I don't suppose he has a choice in the matter since that is where the demand is and especially so for the high end, semi custom bikes that are his main business. All his new personal bikes are Ti though and if I ever did decide to have a custom bike built I'd go that way too. For now aluminum and steel are fine for me.

Ken
Old 08-06-10, 06:45 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by khutch
My LBS owner is concerned about the durability of carbon and he says many of the other shop owners he knows are as well. He is afraid that carbon frames are going to be a big problem for the industry as they age because, according to him, they are starting to see a high failure rate in older frames. He will still gladly sell you a carbon bike though, or one with a carbon fork as he did to me. I don't suppose he has a choice in the matter since that is where the demand is and especially so for the high end, semi custom bikes that are his main business. All his new personal bikes are Ti though and if I ever did decide to have a custom bike built I'd go that way too. For now aluminum and steel are fine for me.

Ken
This is the dirty little secret in the bike industry.
Old 08-06-10, 07:29 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
This is the dirty little secret in the bike industry.
Planned obsolescence baby! 10-20 years you HAVE to buy a new bike.

But then many that buy high end carbon don't keep a bike that long anyway, they tend to flip them for the latest greatest thing, and on the second hand market warranty is a moot point.
Old 08-06-10, 08:10 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious why titanium bikes are so frequently equipped with carbon forks. I don't want to fan the carbon durability flames, but it seems like a "lifetime" frame should have a fork to match... Is it strictly a cost issue or does ride quality come into the equation?
Old 08-06-10, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious why titanium bikes are so frequently equipped with carbon forks. I don't want to fan the carbon durability flames, but it seems like a "lifetime" frame should have a fork to match... Is it strictly a cost issue or does ride quality come into the equation?
Mostly cost, I'd suspect. A titanium fork from Dean is $500 (and is ugly as sin) while a good carbon fork can be had for around $300 (and it's purtier). Weight can be a factor too. Titanium is denser than aluminum so a complete titanium fork would be rather heavy while carbon is extremely lightweight.

Old 08-06-10, 10:12 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got the cross version of that bike. Got it second hand off eBay with Cane Creek wheelset,plus complete second CC wheelset with studded tires,and BB7 disc brakes. It's my current nice weather commuter,and once I settle on tires(w/appropriate width fenders) and gearing,it'll prolly be my all weather commuter.

Is nice. Is very nice. I like.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-06-10, 10:26 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tatanium welding is much more difficult than steel or al because it is so hungry for contaminents including Nitrogen and hydrogen. Not only does the arc have to be shielded by argon but also the back side of the weld. The shielding has to be maintained till the metal has cooled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.