Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

LBS screwed me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

LBS screwed me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 01:44 PM
ME.Alex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS screwed me?

Hi guys,

I took my bike to a local shop to get the rim changed. I had banged it up pretty good (see attachment).

I went today to pick it up. The guy had mentionned that he didn't end up replacing the dim. He was able to hammer it back into shape and true it.

So I get the bike and inspect it real quick before loading it into the car...... The tire is almost dead! the read is worn to **** and the sire is coming apart at the seams. I don't remember my tire being so ****ed up.

I get back in and I tell em they may have put back on the wrong tire. They deny it fervently.

I cant prove anything at that point so I come back home.

I look closer, and I think they may have switched cassette & derailer too... same model name, but i'm really not certain. But the thing is I'm not sure if it's paranoia or what. The cassette is suntour, everything else is shimano............

But these are lowend parts.. Why would they want them?

The tire is gone. It needs replacement soon. everything else 'seems' ok.But I can;t be sure. the holder for

I have some pictures I took real quick but theyre not bridght and detailed enough to tell anything.

The problem is, i don't know if I remember the tire being messed up or not. I'll show you what pictures I had and what it looks like today

My question is, is this kind of thing common? And if so, do I have any recourse?

First three are before pics

Last ones are from today.Tire is unraveling and the tread is completely bald.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0183.jpg (99.9 KB, 139 views)
IMG_0187.jpg (96.0 KB, 74 views)
IMG_0172.jpg (93.7 KB, 90 views)
IMG_0001.jpg (98.2 KB, 88 views)
IMG_0002.jpg (97.0 KB, 62 views)
IMG_0006.jpg (89.4 KB, 65 views)
IMG_0009.jpg (96.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 03-21-06, 01:45 PM
ME.Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dammit, it didnt keep order.

Pic 2, 3, 4 are Before

the rest are today
Old 03-21-06, 01:56 PM
Marlin523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all let me say this is not a common problem. If you don't have a good feeling about the bike shop, you need to find another one. Most shops count on return business. If the shop you've dealt with has been in business awhile and has a good reputation, I don't really know what to tell you other than talking with the owner. If the shop is not "established," I would suck it up and take your business elsewhere.
Old 03-21-06, 02:01 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
How many miles do you have on the chain and cassette? If they have quite a few miles on them you will probably be able to tell if someone swapped out the cassette since you will start getting some bad shifts and chain skipping. For the derailleur check to see if there is a new imprint on the cable. If there is then the derailleur may have been replaced. If not then it is probably the same derailleur.
Old 03-21-06, 02:09 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
With all due respect...

I read the thread twice. What I took from it was:

I think I am getting screwed.

I cannot remember if my tire was messed up, but the one on the bike now, is.

I cannot remember what components were on my bike, but I think they switched them.

I am lost here....

First off, again with all due respect, if you had brought in a Dura Ace, Record, Chorus, Ultegra bike, it MIGHT be worth it if the people were dishonest. BTW...it makes no sense for this to happen since many of us in shops pay extremely discounted prices for superior equipment.

Your question is a good one....they were low end parts...why would they want them?

Also, I find it unusual that a rider would not know what's on the bike.
Old 03-21-06, 02:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
With all due respect...

I cannot remember what components were on my bike, but I think they switched them.

I am lost here....

First off, again with all due respect, if you had brought in a Dura Ace, Record, Chorus, Ultegra bike, it MIGHT be worth it if the people were dishonest. BTW...it makes no sense for this to happen since many of us in shops pay extremely discounted prices for superior equipment.

Your question is a good one....they were low end parts...why would they want them?

+++1

Very strange post.
Old 03-21-06, 02:24 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My LBS experience was even worse. I took my Madone in for a wheel true and new chain and those guys replaced it with a Sora-equiped 1000. But it wasn't until the next weekend's ride that I noticed the difference, and I couldn't really prove it. I don't give them my business anymore.

Stupid Trek dealer.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 03-21-06, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
My LBS experience was even worse. I took my Madone in for a wheel true and new chain and those guys replaced it with a Sora-equiped 1000. But it wasn't until the next weekend's ride that I noticed the difference, and I couldn't really prove it. I don't give them my business anymore.

Stupid Trek dealer.

Please tell me you frogot to put the in this!
Old 03-21-06, 02:43 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Delta brake. Classic!

In the before pics, the tire looks a little old anyhow. It could be that the old and dry rubber started to flake a bit when they took the tire off, and that's why it looks worse. But since I don't know YOUR bike, I would go with your wits. Keep in mind that some parts look a bit different once they are cleaned up a bit.
Old 03-21-06, 02:46 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I guess I did, 1955.

Okay, on a more serious note...

Did you take the 'before pictures' just before bringing the bike in? Or are those from some time ago? It's hard to tell for sure, but the gum sidewall of the rear tire does look a little worse in pictures 1, 5, 6 and 7. But (as mentioned) just taking the tire on and off and bringing it up to the proper pressure probably causes a tire of this age/condition to get considerably worse (drier). Even if a 'swap' did happen, I'm sure it was an honest mistake. Why would a shop steal your nearly spent $10 tire? And the derailleur and cassette make even less sense. Why would they have extra vintage stuff around (of the same make/model) and want to swap them for yours? I'm guessing you just haven't had a reason to look closely at the wear and tear on these parts until now. If you are this paranoid, maybe you'll want to learn to do your own wrenching?

Old 03-21-06, 02:49 PM
ME.Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the bike for a grand total of 3 weeks last summer. Ever. I am brand new to biking so I didn't know the first thing. I didnt buy the bike, so I have no idea what was on it.

If you look at picture 3-4 and compare with 6-7, it is clearly different looking. Sidewall is different, and definitely much smoother. Here's the problem, because I don't know the bike well, and the 3-4 pics are pretty bad (****tier camera), i'm not sure whether the tire was changed or if it was always like this. I do remember seeing a tire in this condition before, but I dunno if it was on this bike to begin with. May have been on a friend's bike. Or not. It was just too long ago since I last looked at the bike.

AFAIK the tires on this thing are original. Is it 'normal' to get ridiculous wear on the rear time while the front tire looks new? I know most of the weight is on the rear, but still.

And from the tread it doesn't at all look like the same tire.

The parts are cheap stuff. Unless they had al old bike and couldn't find parts for it, or had bum parts, I see no reason why they'd swap stuff out.

I really should have taken some decent pictures.

But the consensus is that this is exceedingly rare/never happens?

Sorry to hear about that DTRAIN.

I'm starting to think that we should invest in engine stamping gear and stamp our initials on each and every part.

Old 03-21-06, 02:55 PM
curt in denver

Bikes: Giant Ocr limited (carbon) Redline Conquest (cross)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to believe any of these places are in business. My LBS is great.
Old 03-21-06, 02:55 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ME.Alex
AFAIK the tires on this thing are original. Is it 'normal' to get ridiculous wear on the rear time while the front tire looks new? I know most of the weight is on the rear, but still.
Not out of the question especially with old tires that may be dry rotted. I did in a set of brand new Kenda Koncept tires in 500 miles on my first road bike. The rear wore through the tread and the front was in OK but not great shape. So yes it could happen.

For the price of a tire vs the bridges you will (or already have) burn I wouldn't worry about it. I also doubt they took any components off your bike.

Also if those are tubular tires it is REALLY unlikely that they changed it but they may have had to remove the tire to fix the rim which may have taken a little work if the glue wasn't giving up...this could cause some damage to the appearance of the tire. Do you know if that is a tubular (no inner tube) or clincher tire setup?
Old 03-21-06, 02:57 PM
ME.Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I'm just worried if they did anything else to it. I guess it's possible that removing and remounting cracked it. These are ancient tires. And the pictures are from at least 7-8 months ago. They've taken winter temps at almost full pressure too so who knows what that may have done

I don't generally like letting people do stuff for me. Car or computer stuff, i'll gladly do myself. But I don't know how to true a wheel so thats why I had a shop do it. I'm probably just paranoid. I can't shake the feeling though.

Sirro,

Thanks, I really love these brakes. It's too bad I can't find pads for em. Once they're worn, it's over for these brakes.
Old 03-21-06, 03:00 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about that DTRAIN.

I'm starting to think that we should invest in engine stamping gear and stamp our initials on each and every part.
Good Idea! I don't want those guys stealing my Sora deraillers or hubs.

Listen, it's very unlikely that anything fishy happened here. And it looks like you were about due for new tires anyway. Dried out sidewalls can suffer quite a bit when they are removed and re-installed. Then they probably put more air in than you'd been using as well. Get some new tires and get out riding.

Old 03-21-06, 03:09 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
This seems to be a recurring theme around here. There was another thread which had like the exact same post content.

1) brought bike into shop for fix
2) got bike back
3) components seemed swap out but not sure
4) profit??

Better make damn sure you have proof and are certain someone ripped you off before you do anything crazy.
Old 03-21-06, 03:33 PM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, you need to allow for a part of human psychology here. People will seriously look at and examine something coming from a shop and notice things they didn't notice before. You aren't sure the tire was swapped and you aren't sure the cassette was swapped either. You got the bike used. It could be as simple as you just really took a close look at the bike for the first time because that's what we do when we get something back from the repair shop.

You can imagine how many people notice little nicks on their cars after getting them back from the shop. That's why shops catering to old pharts (who are nuts on noticing things due to nothing else to do) note each little scratch and nick on a car when it comes in and then DEMAND that the old phart sign the chart.

You've learned a lesson to know your bike. Nobody can swap anything on my bike just because I know it. I think it highly unlikely that you were cheated in any way, but if you know your bike, you'll avoid this bad feeliing you have now.
Old 03-21-06, 03:56 PM
ME.Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best advice yet.

Thanks dude.

Case closed, then. I'll pick up a couple good tires, and be on my way.

27x.25 GT2 Kevlar any good?
Old 03-21-06, 04:18 PM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ME.Alex, your tires are probably worth $5 at most, if you were to sell them on ebay. Your cassette and derailleur is also probably worth $5.

If they did ruin it/switch them out (highly unlikely), your total loss would be $10 or less.
Old 03-21-06, 04:44 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ME.Alex, I believe that if I worked at your LBS I'd decline to serve you.
Old 03-21-06, 05:27 PM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all due respect...

I am lost here....

That's what I got out of it. Think of it this way, your parts are not exactly high value. This means two things-it's super unlikely someone at the shop took the stuff, and it's equally unlikely that they took the parts for use on some other bike. First, it's not worth their time to do a swap, second it's ridiculously stupid for business.
There's also that whole issue of you not even knowing what parts you had on there to begin with...I tend to be a little more cautious when accusing someone of wrongdoing than some of the members on here.
Smoke less weed, maybe?
Old 03-21-06, 05:50 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, hold on to that brake when the pads go. That stuff is bike museum gold!
Old 03-21-06, 05:51 PM
tippy

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,

I took my bike to a local shop to get the rim changed. I had banged it up pretty good (see attachment).

I went today to pick it up. The guy had mentionned that he didn't end up replacing the dim. He was able to hammer it back into shape and true it.

So I get the bike and inspect it real quick before loading it into the car...... The tire is almost dead! the read is worn to **** and the sire is coming apart at the seams. I don't remember my tire being so ****ed up.

I get back in and I tell em they may have put back on the wrong tire. They deny it fervently.

I cant prove anything at that point so I come back home.

I look closer, and I think they may have switched cassette & derailer too... same model name, but i'm really not certain. But the thing is I'm not sure if it's paranoia or what. The cassette is suntour, everything else is shimano............

But these are lowend parts.. Why would they want them?

The tire is gone. It needs replacement soon. everything else 'seems' ok.But I can;t be sure. the holder for

I have some pictures I took real quick but theyre not bridght and detailed enough to tell anything.

The problem is, i don't know if I remember the tire being messed up or not. I'll show you what pictures I had and what it looks like today

My question is, is this kind of thing common? And if so, do I have any recourse?

First three are before pics

Last ones are from today.Tire is unraveling and the tread is completely bald.
The last time I took my bike in for repairs, they wrote the details of my equipment on the work order (ie rim brand style, hub brand style, cassette brand style, bag rack, 2 bottle holders, etc). When the tune up/repair was complete, I just used the work order to compare hardware.
Of course, they were super reputable and probably didn't need the work order effort but then again, that's how they became reputable in the first place.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old 03-21-06, 06:40 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I don't think that's the least bit unusual. For sure the vast majority of cyclists have only a minimal knowledge of their bikes, probably not much more than the brand name, and sometimes not even that.
Old 03-21-06, 06:52 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I have to admit it looks like a different tire in the 'before' picture IMG_0172.jpg, where it seems to have a smooth yellow sidewall, and in the 'after' picture IMG_0001.jpg where it seems to have a corduroy-like diagonally textured beige sidewall. Does the front tire have a smooth yellow sidewall?

Edit: even if they did switch the tire by mistake, it would be too much work to bother switching anything else.

Last edited by cooker; 03-21-06 at 07:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.