Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Knee Pain, Cleat Allignment.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 08:09 AM
pacemaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started to have some pain on the outside of my knee just below the joint. It seems like the pain stems from improper cleat allignment as I only feel it when I'm riding. What is the general concensus on how the cleats should be alligned? eg straight, slightly turned in etc. Also what is the correct knee position when pedaling. I've heard they should almost scrape the top tube on the down stroke, any truth to this? Thanks for your input.
Old 02-22-06, 08:27 AM
Singlespeedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your pain soundl like an IT band issue. The Ilotibial band is a component of your leg muscles that attaches the tib/fib to the hip. (It is not a muscle) Pain here can be a good indicator that your saddle is too high, or that you may have a leg length discrepancy.

You cleats should be aligned with your feet, not the bike. When I set up cleats for a client I have them do a bunch of rigamarole to get placement as close to right as possible. Have a friend watch you as you take ten or so paces towards them (or walk towards a mirror) It is important to let your feet do what they will, don't try to point them straight or anything. If your natural inclination is to point your toes slightly out, this will affect cleat alignment. Another test is to sit ona counte and let your feet dangle while keeping your knees at a 90 degree bend. Again you are looking for what the natural inclination of your feet are, and you should set up your cleats to reflect this. If your toes want to point outboard, line up the cleats a bit inboard.

Are your arches high or low? And if they are high, do they collapse at all? If so, ou may be a candidate for cleat wedging to stabilize the foot through the pedal stroke.
Old 02-22-06, 08:57 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
What he said. Really, there are so many variables, there is no rule on correct position, it depends on your body. I fought this for a long time and ended up using pedal extenders to get enough toe-out and so my size 49 heels wouldn't hit the chainstays. Everyone isn't symmetrical. A friend points his left knee way out in the middle of his stroke and it works fine. When people tried to convince him to keep it close to the bike, that's when the pain started. See a fit expert if you can.
Old 02-22-06, 09:23 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
OK, you caught my attention with this part (Connie Carpenter suggested the same thing in the book she co-wrote with Davis Phinney)

Originally Posted by Singlespeedster
Another test is to sit ona counte and let your feet dangle while keeping your knees at a 90 degree bend. Again you are looking for what the natural inclination of your feet are, and you should set up your cleats to reflect this. If your toes want to point outboard, line up the cleats a bit inboard.
You REALLY caught me with this. What do you suggest for high - and i mean ridiculously high - arches, that haven't collapsed? wedges? how do they stabilize the foot?

Are your arches high or low? And if they are high, do they collapse at all? If so, ou may be a candidate for cleat wedging to stabilize the foot through the pedal stroke.
Old 02-22-06, 09:33 AM
Singlespeedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto

You REALLY caught me with this. What do you suggest for high - and i mean ridiculously high - arches, that haven't collapsed? wedges? how do they stabilize the foot?
The best thing for really high arches is an orthotic or footbed that provides ample arch support, especially for those running Sidi shoes. (Sidis are extremely well made shoes that fit great, but offer very little arch support.

When a high arch isn't supported correctly, it can cause wicked foot pain on the tendons below the metatarsals, and can contribute to symptoms of forefoot varus.

Forefoot varus refers to the tendency (in approximately 87% of people) of the foot to tilt up to the inside, when looking at teh foot from the front. In exaggeration, imagine standing on a flat surface and having your smallest toe planted on the floor and your big toe hanging in the air. As you pedal this will cause your knees to rock back and forth, causing pain. Also if the bike fit has been set up static, but the foot rolls more under load, then the seatpost height will not be correct, causing the afore mentioned Ilotibial band friction sydrome.
Old 02-22-06, 09:34 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
There are these aluminum "box thingies" with pedal spindles that a bike fitter puts on your bike. He puts cleats for these boxes on your shoes and has you pedal. Two rods protrude out from the boxes. The bike fitter watches these then adjusts the boxes to line up the rods again. This process is repeated until the cleat is aligned.

Rotational
Alignment
Devices

Also check out the "Get orthotics!" thread.
Old 02-22-06, 09:48 AM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
you just described how my brother walks. his arches are even worse than mine. so high, in fact, that erays of his feet have been presented in various medical conferences

i do sometimes have the roll, but have managed to avoid major knee issues. for some reason my left knee acts up, and has never felt as 'solid' as the right, but it's never kept me off the bike.

Forefoot varus refers to the tendency (in approximately 87% of people) of the foot to tilt up to the inside, when looking at teh foot from the front. In exaggeration, imagine standing on a flat surface and having your smallest toe planted on the floor and your big toe hanging in the air. .
Old 02-22-06, 11:25 AM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You need to align your cleats so your knees do not wobble or twist during your pedalling motion. Different people will prefer different cleat positions. Some people need to tilt (wedge) their cleats to be comfortable. If you're having trouble setting up your cleats, paying a professional to do it can save you a lot of time and potential injury. Find someone who really knows what they are doing, not some high school kid at the local bike shop.
Old 02-22-06, 11:38 AM
Singlespeedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Find someone who really knows what they are doing, not some high school kid at the local bike shop.

I have high school kids working for me that I have sent to see Andy Pruitt to get clinicked on this knowledge. That said, it is important to make sure the person setting up your cleats knows what they are doing, regardless of their age or schooling.
Old 02-22-06, 11:54 AM
mpearson76

Bikes: Klein q-pro carbon, Record, Ksyrium SSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I required orthotics, wedges, and rotational float to finally solve my vexing problem, of which IT band pain was a part. For the IT issue, I actually needed valgus wedging (tilt the outside of the foot upward--less common) because the outside of my foot extending too far stressed the IT (pushing down on the pedal with your leg extended and the outside of the foot angled too far down will force the knee outward). In addition, I had my feet placed all wrong because my it band and hip muscles were too tight, which pulled my knees outward. Lots of stretching the hips, glutes, and IT helped a ton. It was really hard to diagnose the problem precisely though, until I got a professional fitting.
Old 02-22-06, 04:29 PM
Angus

Bikes: C'dale tandem, Specialized Roubaix,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big John,
You mention that you use pedal extenders. I'm interested in those as well, but the Knee Savers won't work with my Shimano SPD pedals. Do you use clipless? If so, what kind?
Thanks.
Old 02-22-06, 04:42 PM
pacemaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Single... I did the counter check and my left foot was naturally canted in more than my right, but my cleats are alligned the same on each foot; this may explain the problem. I have also been using SPD type pedals and have exp more lateral "give" than with my old Looks, which had no give at all. I think the "give" in the pedals is another source of the problem and I am plannig to go back to my Looks. I also recenltly raised my seat...hmmm, guess I'll be looking into seat position as well. Anyway, much obliged.
Old 02-22-06, 06:05 PM
BlueBikeRider
Out Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have an IT Band issue, but am not sure. Everyone mentions knee pain and the position of it as a sign. I don't have knee pain, but do feel this awful crunching on the upper outside of my kneecap. If I put my hand on it, it feel like tendon, ligament?? something, sliding very roughly over something else. It happens on the upstroke when pedaling.

My ankles (and therefore knees) tend to roll inward as I ride (or run for that matter). Will better cleat alignment and maybe a wedge help me out??
Old 02-22-06, 06:08 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You sound like a guy who needs float. Ever tried Speedplay pedals?
Old 02-22-06, 06:13 PM
BlueBikeRider
Out Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should ask. The box just showed up this afternoon! That's why I was asking about cleat positioning. Wanted to make sure I do it right when I put them on.

P.S. Note the avatar...not a guy
Old 02-22-06, 06:22 PM
Singlespeedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBikeRider
I think I have an IT Band issue, but am not sure. Everyone mentions knee pain and the position of it as a sign. I don't have knee pain, but do feel this awful crunching on the upper outside of my kneecap. If I put my hand on it, it feel like tendon, ligament?? something, sliding very roughly over something else. It happens on the upstroke when pedaling.

My ankles (and therefore knees) tend to roll inward as I ride (or run for that matter). Will better cleat alignment and maybe a wedge help me out??
Wedge wedge wedge!

That uncomfortable crunching sounds like it is your IT band sliding around over the femur. Stabilizing the foot through the pedal stroke should help.
Old 02-22-06, 07:32 PM
BlueBikeRider
Out Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put my new speedplay pedals on the bike. It already feels much better. My foot feels much more stable. I'll do a few rides and if it still feel off, I'll get some wedges.

With the new setup, will the IT Band gradually stop that awful crunching? Anything else I can do to help things get back to a natural state?

Thanks for the help. Didn't mean to takeover a section of the thread, but I was about to post the same question.
Old 02-22-06, 08:41 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBikeRider
Funny you should ask. The box just showed up this afternoon! That's why I was asking about cleat positioning. Wanted to make sure I do it right when I put them on.

P.S. Note the avatar...not a guy
Sorry, didn't mean you were a guy, just "sounded like".... and I use guy in the unisex sense.

The Speedplays will take a little getting use to, usually a couple of rides. It helps to lubricate the cleats, at least until they're broken in. My wife and I both use X-1's. I also like Speedplays because they are the quickest to engage and release.

I've always had more luck with a high saddle position to relieve knee pain, as long as the legs don't go completely straight and the hips should not rock back and fourth. I'm not the expert though.

Al

Last edited by Al1943; 02-22-06 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 08:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Angus
Big John,
You mention that you use pedal extenders. I'm interested in those as well, but the Knee Savers won't work with my Shimano SPD pedals. Do you use clipless? If so, what kind?
Thanks.
I know what you mean, you need wrench flats on the pedals, you can't use the 8mm allen. I use the cheaper SPD pedals, mtb style, and have used Looks with the extenders, too. I can't use clipless without the extenders.
Old 02-22-06, 09:16 PM
LA_Rider

Bikes: Cannondale R5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn’t matter what pedals you use.

Your ITB will only get worse if you don’t do something to counter act the negative impact cycling has on it.

I’m currently in Physical Therapy for ITB syndrome.
Old 02-23-06, 06:19 AM
BlueBikeRider
Out Riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943

Sorry, didn't mean you were a guy, just "sounded like".... and I use guy in the unisex sense.

The Speedplays will take a little getting use to, usually a couple of rides. It helps to lubricate the cleats, at least until they're broken in. My wife and I both use X-1's. I also like Speedplays because they are the quickest to engage and release.

I've always had more luck with a high saddle position to relieve knee pain, as long as the legs don't go completely straight and the hips should not rock back and fourth. I'm not the expert though.

Al
No worries. I use "guys" as a general term too.

I'm looking forward to doing some more riding with the speedplays and seeing how my knees react. I'm taking my bike back in to the shp this weekend to have the fit adjusted. I've switched out a lot of parts since having it done last. Again, hope that helps.
Old 02-23-06, 09:47 AM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
My wife and I both use X-1's. I also like Speedplays because they are the quickest to engage and release.
+1 on the Speedplays. Been using them now for going on two years and they are wonderful.

Steve
Old 03-12-06, 09:58 AM
Medpilot
BOATS AND HOES!

Bikes: Madone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LA_Rider
It doesn’t matter what pedals you use.

Your ITB will only get worse if you don’t do something to counter act the negative impact cycling has on it.

I’m currently in Physical Therapy for ITB syndrome.
After reading this webpage https://www.thestretchinghandbook.com.../knee-pain.htm

I would agree with what LA_Rider wrote
Old 03-12-06, 05:51 PM
curt in denver

Bikes: Giant Ocr limited (carbon) Redline Conquest (cross)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another +1 for Speedplay.
Old 03-12-06, 09:35 PM
grasshutmedia
Float. Hammer. Jog.

Bikes: Trek: Pilot 2.1, 6500 Peugeot: Corbier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thank all here for the advice on cleat position. I "toe in" a bit so that was good to read about.

My question: What about forward/back cleat position? Are there any guidelines to keep in mind?

Thanks.