Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike obsession..... why do I want another bike??!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 10:24 AM
briscoelab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I need help. My cycling obsession is getting out of hand. I'm already working on putting my Allez Elite back together as a bad weather racing bike.... I know this fall/winter I'm gonna have to break down and build a cross bike so I can do gravel road races and other cross type fun things.

But now, I'm becoming obsessed with the urge to get a MTB. I used to have POS schwin with a lame ass suspension fork when I was an undergrad. I used it to play around at the MTB park back in Bloomington quite often.... it was a blast. I gave it to my Dad a while back to try and get him riding a little. Now, with a great set of local trails so close to where I'm going to grad school.... and a desire to get out and get dirty. I just can't shake the idea of getting yet another bike. Please help me... or I'm going to give in to the dark side.
Old 05-10-06, 10:30 AM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hear ya. it's okay to give in. for some reason, i'm considering buying a cervelo r3, and i have absolutely no need whatsoever for another bike. it's not a passion, it's an addiction

smoke
Old 05-10-06, 10:51 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Dude you and me both. My wife just got a new job and a BIG raise and all I can think about is what bike am I going to spend some of that cash on.

Should I get a MTB? Cyclocross? Fixie? My LBS has 4 or 5 bikes I am drooling over...Cannondale Prophet 600, Stumpjumper Disc, Specialized Langster and Tricross and Epic and.....
Old 05-10-06, 10:52 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife says I have replaced being an alcholic with an obsession over bicycling and building them in particular. I currently have 6 road bikes, 1 mt. & 1 coffee shop comfort bike. Currently building a full suspension Mt. They all get used but not as much as some would need to justify keeping them all.

It is cheaper than being a drunk and helps you stay fit. And yes you can skip the remarks about being an alcholic in the past tenths. Your allways one even if you do not drink. Also it is really hard to type with a broken finger.
Old 05-10-06, 11:18 AM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do we have to go through this again?
the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, where n is the number you currently own.
Old 05-10-06, 11:20 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
My wife says I have replaced being an alcholic with an obsession over bicycling and building them in particular.
I hope your wife says this appreciatively. It sounds to me like a significant trade-up.
Old 05-10-06, 11:59 AM
curt in denver

Bikes: Giant Ocr limited (carbon) Redline Conquest (cross)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need a cross bike........................................ Just trying to help.
Old 05-10-06, 12:25 PM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curt in denver
You need a cross bike........................................ Just trying to help.
I KNOW! But, I think I can make myself hold off till this fall to get one. I don't have a huge use for one at the moment.... esp if I end up getting a MTB to play with this summer. The bike shop has an Orange Poprad that is just calling my name though.....

Maybe I should just get a cross bike and ride the trails with that
Old 05-10-06, 12:32 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by briscoelab
Maybe I should just get a cross bike and ride the trails with that
I was thinking that but one of my buddies at the LBS is trying to talk me out of it. Still floundering on the choice.
Old 05-13-06, 03:40 PM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh.... Fiance is out of town this weekend.... SO... I of course went to the bike shop to test out some bikes I was gonna try some MTBs and some cross bikes. Ended up testing out a Stumpjumper... WOW! That bike a sweet! The Fox racing fork is really nice. I've never been on a nice MTB before... They told me to take it out and "run over stuff with it" to quote one of the guys there. So, I took it out for a good while and started jumping some curbs... running over railroad tracks (not at road crossing )... went down some stairs. It was SWEET to say the least. I came back in with a huge grin on my face. I was gonna try a Rockhopper Comp, since it's a little cheaper... but alas, none instock in my size.

Then I went on to the cross bikes. They have a 55cm Lemond Poprad... I'm obsessed with the orange color. I keep kicking myself in the @ss for not getting a Sarthe last year. The Poprad rode SO smooth. Obviously it isn't as stiff and my Tarmac... but it's every bit as smooth. Steel is real!

Now I know what I have to do.... get both! I just have to figure out how to pay for it.... since a MTB and cross bike for me == MTB and cross bike for the little lady as well But, the shop can get just the Poprad frameset! So... that helps a TON. We have more than enough road parts laying around to just about put two of them together.

Oh yea... I picked her up a set of Speedplay Zeros that's she's been eyeing for a while. Maybe that will help smooth over the news that we need 4 new bikes
Old 05-13-06, 04:38 PM
AP1EKWAN
NOT the unsub

Bikes: 2nd job killed them, but they're coming back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already been there man. Just like some people here, I've got a road bike and a mountain. Main reason is when I ride my road bike at night, I can't see the roads very well and jacked up my wheels quite a bit. With the mountain bike, man, I could go over all kinds of crap and still be ok. That in itself made it worth it, and the purchase was more than justified.
Old 05-13-06, 04:59 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like cheap frame (Leader or Scattante) to replace my oversized Lemond Reno. Something of a high speed beater for fast wet group rides year round. Winter Salt gets laid down something fierce around here.
Old 05-13-06, 04:59 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there is any cure. You're doomed like the rest of us.
Old 05-13-06, 08:26 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke
.............i have absolutely no need whatsoever for another bike. it's not a passion, it's an addiction
it's the hunter gather instinct..... oh and marketing, i blame the internet.
Old 05-13-06, 09:42 PM
VeganRider
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, your at the right place. Get another bike, you owe it to yourself. Nothing like the smell of a nice, fresh, squeaky clean new bike, oh yummm. Problem is you end up with a favorite and then shun the rest. After 3 road bikes I found my favorite, but that didn't keep me from buying 3 more! No, I'm not sick....lol. and I have my eye on a Lemond Sarthe now. help.......!
Old 05-13-06, 09:51 PM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forget the mt bike, just go with a cross bike...yeah I know the cross bike can't handle the techincal stuff as well, but that is where skill comes in! and the coffee runs are best made on the fixie/track bike. As far as a bikes, I think you need one of each material. I like the small custom builders...
Old 05-13-06, 09:57 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
It is cheaper than being a drunk and helps you stay fit.
If it's cheaper than being a drunk, you need more carbon fiber.

There are 9 bikes in my garage right now. And a bare frame. 2 of the bikes are not mine, the rest are part of my stable. I can't afford food some weeks, but I'm contemplating another parts order in the $100 range. Sell some plasma, pawn some computer parts, and we're good.
Old 05-13-06, 11:24 PM
RiDE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eatadonut
If it's cheaper than being a drunk, you need more carbon fiber.

There are 9 bikes in my garage right now. And a bare frame. 2 of the bikes are not mine, the rest are part of my stable. I can't afford food some weeks, but I'm contemplating another parts order in the $100 range. Sell some plasma, pawn some computer parts, and we're good.
Eat a donut.
Old 05-13-06, 11:38 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy some high quality Assos gear, you won't have any money for another bike.
Old 05-14-06, 12:01 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Please help me... or I'm going to give in to the dark side.
Because deep down you know you don't have a bike you truly love. Find that bike and you're done.
Old 05-14-06, 12:28 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got three good roadies, and a cheapy MTB for goofing off on the local trails. Don't ask me why we get so obsessed.

I do think it's something within us. Perhaps deeply embedded into our genetic code. Some sort of primevil desire for our legs and feet to go 'round 'n' 'round. That's about the best I can come up with.
Old 05-15-06, 02:22 PM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll pimp for the Tricross Comp...
Old 05-22-06, 01:56 AM
lshobo

Bikes: 1997 Trek Multitrack 730, 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2003 KHS Flite 800, 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2011 Santa Cruz Butcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly feel for you guys.

Few years ago, I bought a Gary Fisher MTB. It's what got me into biking. And then I discovered trials, so naturally I had to build up a brand new trials bike. But because I spent more time with my trials bike, the Gary Fisher fell by the wayside...so I decided to give it new life by turning it into a rigid singlespeeder. Even though I enjoy riding the Fisher now, I started to miss having suspension, so I picked up a used Santa Cruz Chameleon. But now I want to try my hand at road riding...I don't think it will ever end. I am pretty good about dividing my time between the three bikes, but I'm worried about what will happen once I get a fourth bike. I feel like the less time I spend with each bike, the less I am getting out it for what I paid...

What the hell, just do it man....so we can be in the same boat.
Old 05-22-06, 02:55 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

Originally Posted by briscoelab
I think I need help.Bike obsession..... why do I want another bike??!!
Ahhhh, maybe your like me, more money than brains. I have 3 bikes, 3 framesets and 2 groups in boxes. Instead of selling the spare parts, I was looking for more parts to put the 3 framesets back to running condition. I think this is a disease.

Tim
Old 05-22-06, 07:35 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
What obsession?

I need the Merlin to race. I need the Griffen to time trial. I need the Paramount Track bike to work on my spin with the fixed gear. I need the Paramount OS because everybody needs a back up road bike.

Now if I can just get the Cervelo R3 (I need a really lightweight bike for mountains), a new mountian bike (to rpelace my old piece of crap) and a new tandem to replace the aging Burley I'll be set. Obsession? What obsession?