Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

quinoa

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 07:26 PM
jhud51

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Fisher Wahoo, Trek Multi-track 720 (hers)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quinoa

Anybody know about this? I'd never heard of it until recently. It's supposed to be awesome.
Old 12-04-12, 09:52 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've been using it for years. It's a "pseudo" grain that grows at high elevations and is very high in protein. Cooks like other grains with water and in only 20 minutes. It can have a bitter edge if not rinsed well. I like to mix it 1/2 with white basmanti rice which takes the same cooking time and water ratio of 2 water to 1 grain. You get the comfort and taste of a good white rice which is lower in nutritional value because of the processing and the health benefits of the quinoa.I'll often cook it with some kind of boullion paste for added flavor. Highly recommended!
Old 12-05-12, 08:39 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Like so many other "superfoods" it is overly hyped, but it is tasty and healthful and can be used in much the same way as brown rice, barley, or other whole grain products.
Old 12-06-12, 06:19 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't like the taste and texture very much but my wife makes it. Only times I approach liking it is when there's tons of salt in it. We've tried making it with chicken stock and with butter, but still not that great to me. I'm not a big brown rice fan either. I like white rice so I just don't eat a lot of it.
Old 12-06-12, 05:21 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 2,761 Times in 908 Posts
It’s not as high in protein as beans and legumes but it’s a complete protein. It’s a good source for fiber, antioxidents and it’s high in iron. It’s a source for calcium so it’s very useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant. I use it in a number of ways. It's also easy and quick to cook.
Old 12-17-12, 08:16 AM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High in protein, low glycemic load, one of the oldest grains known to man. Not much of a taste but I use it regularly as a base for a cold salad, grated carrots, diced onions, raisins, peas, black beans, feta cheese, fresh lemon juice, with a vinaigrette, whatever vegetables you want to use. Great for long rides as it does not need to be refrigerated. I cook it in 2 1/2-3 times the water.
Old 12-20-12, 08:51 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We use it a bit. Although, not much lately for some reason.

As stated by others. It makes a decent substitute for rice or base for cold salads.
Old 01-03-13, 12:18 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl
It’s not as high in protein as beans and legumes but it’s a complete protein. It’s a good source for fiber, antioxidents and it’s high in iron. It’s a source for calcium so it’s very useful for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant. I use it in a number of ways. It's also easy and quick to cook.
I like to spice it up a bit, add about a tsp of tumeric to the water and 5-8 dashes of Franks red hot sauce ( I put that stuff on everthing!). I have replaced all the white foods that spike my bloodsugar and its been working great. White potatoes have been replaced with sweet patatoes, White rice with brown rice or quinoa, white bread with rye bread or tortillas.
Old 01-03-13, 01:46 PM
atallen223

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's good with Fish in place of rice, but it'll take some time to get a recipe to make it palatable.
Old 01-03-13, 02:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
I have tried to like it...but haven't so far. even with lot of rinsing there is a bitter after taste. next time I will try cooking with a strong broth and see.

Old 01-03-13, 03:45 PM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I have tried to like it...but haven't so far. even with lot of rinsing there is a bitter after taste. next time I will try cooking with a strong broth and see.
There is a saponin coating on quinoa which can cause a bitter taste. Some brands do a better job of washing it off. Some brands will have 'saponin free' on the package. Hot water works best to rinse it off at home. On the plus side studies suggest saponin can help in cholesterol lowering.

The saponin is quinoa’s natural protection against birds and insects so growers don't need to use insecticides.

Originally Posted by DEW21
I like to spice it up a bit, add about a tsp of tumeric to the water and 5-8 dashes of Franks red hot sauce ( I put that stuff on everthing!). I have replaced all the white foods that spike my bloodsugar and its been working great. White potatoes have been replaced with sweet patatoes, White rice with brown rice or quinoa, white bread with rye bread or tortillas.
A sweet potato cubed, tossed in a little olive oil and baked makes for a good ingredient in a quinoa salad

Last edited by clemsongirl; 01-04-13 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-03-13, 05:32 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Love it. My sweetie makes me quinoa salads all the time, and in regular dishes I have it instead of rice.
Old 01-12-13, 11:06 AM
EntenteCordiale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan. I've never noticed the bitter aftertaste, but then I have quite an underdeveloped palate. My local supermarket sells a delicious rye bread with quinoa in it too.
Old 01-27-13, 07:02 PM
KirkBeiser

Bikes: KHS town bike, Motobecane road bike (in my grandparents attic), Fuji Newest 1.0 (never ride) and a touring bike to be built soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prepare it differently than most. I cook it up and add several different types of fruit and pour some honey over it for a nice breakfast. I find that a banana is almost required and typically mix in frozen blueberries and either a kiwi and/or pear/peach.
Old 02-16-13, 01:45 PM
ianriley85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you guys/girls are finding it a little bitter ( I don't) there is a eat trick I learned recently. Toast it in a pan for a minute or two before cooking it. Also rinse it really well before anything. A lot of the bitter flavor is on the outside coating. Different brands clean them a different amount. I also cook with vegetable or chicken stock instead of water. Delicious. So much better than brown rice.
Old 02-16-13, 04:53 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The bitter taste is like herbal medicine. Other thing is that we're not used to bitter tastes. In other cultures, its acceptable. I say cultural condition is a big part of it.
Old 02-17-13, 11:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I've heard about the nutritional benefits for years, but I'm reading that our demand is causing shortages for the people in the areas where it is grown.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-25-13, 08:00 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I recently went wheat free and as a cyclist was concerned where my replacement carbs would come from. Quinoa has become a staple, especially at breakfast. I make a hot cereal with precooked quinoa, ground flax, a little oatmeal, dried coconut and assorted fruit and seeds. It seems to satisfy my carb requirements without the spike and bonk in blood sugar.
It's also great in stirfries, soups etc.
I've been wondering how well producers will be able to keep up now that its getting so popular, I think it only grows in certain areas of S America.
Old 02-26-13, 12:23 PM
40SpokeOD

Bikes: Commuter, MB and road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am now eating more of this due to a wheat sensitivity I developed for some odd reason. I haven't tried this as a breakfast food I will try that out tomorrow.

BTW - rinse the heck out of it with hot water to get the coating that is bitter off of the quinoa before you cook it
Old 02-27-13, 09:26 AM
sternzeit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's $10/lb where I live so I just eat couscous and brown rice.
Old 02-27-13, 09:44 AM
OntheRun.

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Bridgestone MB-3, Mercier Kilo TT, BB17 Karma

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just drink some of this

https://www.drinkupny.com/FAIR_Quinoa_Vodka_p/s0279.htm
Old 03-02-13, 03:54 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sternzeit
It's $10/lb where I live so I just eat couscous and brown rice.
Yikes, $10/lb, ouch. Our Costco carries a 4lb sack of organic quinoa for around $8.50. Our local Coop usually has it around $3-$4/lb.
Old 03-02-13, 04:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Trader Joe's frozen quinoa with veggies is very good. No bitter taste.
Old 03-08-13, 10:43 AM
four de trance
Capt Hook

Bikes: Described above...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started sprouting quinoa and it enchances the nutrional benifits of the food because it's actually raw and living when you eat it. You get a little more of the benefits of the enzymes to help with digestion and the usual health benefits from raw foods and sprouts. Add some lemon juice, salt and spices and dig in. I usually mix these sprouts in with lentil sprouts and alfalfa sprouts. I sprout all my own organic sprouts right in my kitchen, it's VERY easy and extremely nutritional.
Old 03-08-13, 01:00 PM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by four de trance
I just started sprouting quinoa and it enchances the nutrional benifits of the food because it's actually raw and living when you eat it. You get a little more of the benefits of the enzymes to help with digestion and the usual health benefits from raw foods and sprouts. Add some lemon juice, salt and spices and dig in. I usually mix these sprouts in with lentil sprouts and alfalfa sprouts. I sprout all my own organic sprouts right in my kitchen, it's VERY easy and extremely nutritional.
+1
Quinoa and sunflower sprouts, finely grated carrots, avocado, a blended spread of almonds, cashews, celery hearts, shallots, garlic and lemon juice all rolled up in a nori sheet....ftw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.