Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do Japanese frames really have a "dead" ride quality?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do Japanese frames really have a "dead" ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 08:12 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,027 Times in 989 Posts
I cannot speak for pre-1980's Japanese steel bikes as I have neither owned nor ridden any (though not opposed to it!). From the Bike Boom to, say, 1990, in reading and in anecdote, so much changed so fast, and largely for the better. All that to say that sure some of those earlier and/or lower-end frames very well could have deserved that characteristic.

None of the '80s frames of Japanese origin that I own feel dead--seems more of a carbon thing to me (I rode an '09 Felt F5 for a year or so--great bike, soaked up bumps well).

As some have mentioned earlier, tires make a difference. I would add that rims, or more importantly, rim section (plus weight) impact ride quality, too. My '85 Schwinn Peloton felt effortless and light with a full 1989-era 105 groupset, including box-sectioned Wolber rims. I changed everything out to 7400 DA with the hubs laced to 700g boat anchor Weinmann DP-18 rims. Still rode great, felt very solid and secure at any speed with a big flywheel feel because of those hoops. I am nearly done changing it from 7-speed to 10-speed DA with Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels (23C tires, like the previous wheelsets). We shall see how it goes, but I am looking forward to it!

My straight-gauge tubed 1983 Nishiki Olympic 12 is a 27" frame (my other frames are 25" so that is a consideration) and built up for all weather riding/commuting/touring. 35C tires, triple Biopace, 11-34 9S through a Rapid-Rise XTR RD, and nice level-to-the-saddle bar height. So much fun to ride and so comfortable. Steering is wonderfully light and easy. Very not dead.

Just put together a steel blue '83 Fuji Supreme with DB Valite 212 tubing. 600 components. Will need to test ride as well (been raining like crazy here in Seattle. Today is dry and very cold. Time to capitalize!).
Old 11-15-15, 08:20 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mainah
Yeah, that was one of the comments that had sparked my curiosity. Also: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...tange-2-a.html had a similar post re. Tange tubing... and a few others I can't remember. As honored as I am to be called a Troll for this thread (thanks for the warm welcome to the community, guys - sheesh!), I was genuinely curious about this topic. From most of the responses, it sounds as though this "dead" ride quality sentiment isn't widely held.
I think it comes down to a war between those than can afford or those who save to own the exotic racing bike that was ridden by so and so from team whatever verses those who can`t. The term better bike, to many, seems to me has become the one with the highest value. The racers back in the day used Campagnolo and rode exotic Italian bikes given to them by team sponsors. The goal for many is to obtain that glory, a link to the past. Is there an edge to an Italian racing bike over a Japan built one? Maybe, but only the top fit racers would be able to utilize it. They do have a beauty, that is for sure. There will always be the flame wars between the country of origin of the bikes we ride. It may not always be out in the open, but it is there in the shadows of posts all over the forum. Was Mopar better than Chevy in the 60`s? Yes. But someone with no brain will definitely disagree. Same thing different subject. The best thing to do is ride it yourself and find out. '

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 11-15-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 08:50 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Those bikes are crazy beautiful!!
This compliment from a guy who had the hardest time selling a 1987 Miami Vice Ironman.
Old 11-15-15, 09:27 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Originally Posted by oddjob2
This compliment from a guy who had the hardest time selling a 1987 Miami Vice Ironman.
But you need a certain yellow suit jacket and dress shoes to go with that Miami Vice bike. It limits the market.
Old 11-15-15, 09:29 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Hey- tubbs looked good- it was that other guy...

Old 11-15-15, 10:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked 7,565 Times in 4,221 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

By the early 80's Japanese bikes lost out to less expensive bike made in Taiwan.
Japanese bike manufacturing was still going really strong in the early 80s.
Old 11-15-15, 11:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The racers back in the day used Campagnolo and rode exotic Italian bikes given to them by team sponsors. The goal for many is to obtain that glory, a link to the past. Is there an edge to an Italian racing bike over a Japan built one?
All the amateur racers rode italian bikes that were all campy too. They saved and scrounged and bought them with their own money. It had nothing to do with glory and was entirely pragmatic. The main thing was campagnolo worked well, was reliable and didn't break when subjected to long training miles and lots of racing. Early shimano stuff did.

There were virtually no american pros until the mid to late 80s.
Old 11-15-15, 11:25 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
All the amateur racers rode italian bikes that were all campy too. They saved and scrounged and bought them with their own money. It had nothing to do with glory and was entirely pragmatic. The main thing was campagnolo worked well, was reliable and didn't break when subjected to long training miles and lots of racing. Early shimano stuff did.

There were virtually no american pros until the mid to late 80s.
Yes I agree. My point was about today. The value of the old Italian racing bikes is high based on the glory of the past and the famous racers that won on them in part. High quality bikes yes. The Japanese racing bikes came along well later.
Old 11-15-15, 11:36 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
OK, I understand your point now.

Even by 1982 or 83, there were some good Japanese bikes. Team Miyata for example, and of course 3Rensho (which were near unobtanium). But most weren't quite there yet until the late 80s, which is about when production for all the big companies started shifting to Taiwan...
Old 11-15-15, 11:57 PM
Vieux chnoque

Location: I split my time living in Limburg, the Netherlands and the Eifel in Germany

Bikes: Many, mostly steel and titanium. Myfirst carbon bike a Kestrel from 1989, failed and since that time I stayed away from plastic bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 3 Posts
Besides tubing there is the psychology of colour, everyone knows that red bikes are fastest
Old 11-16-15, 01:00 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have not tried out Modern CF but would love to. The good ones are beyond my means and I would not trust used. The OCLV felt like I was riding a stationary bike down the road. All workout, no thrill. I understand your feeling totally.
I am taking about racing bikes only here. I think this philosophy still hold true. The French have always built their rode bike to be stage racing bikes. Ride all day in comfort, but fast and stable. Where as American bikes (starting from those early days) tend to be super stiff and fast like a Cannondale or Klein. I think that's one of the reason Time still lugged their carbon frames. I am told by the sales rep that this is where it makes a difference. I can't feel the bumps on the road even if I hit them hard. I am known to be pretty hard on equip. The Ridley is a different animal. the frontal stiffness is immediately when you hit the first big dip on the road. Still, its a lot more comfortable then all my steel bikes I have ridden over the years.
Old 11-16-15, 01:21 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So much of this "feel" depends on so many factors. Like I said earlier, tires. On the same frame, lets say my old Casati or Medici that I did lots of miles with heavier clinchers But on occasions, my beloved Clement Criterium Setas (for races too) on my GL330s. Those tires alone transformed that bike's feel. I also had a set of GP4 with 260g. Vittoria sew-up that also did the same thing. Fast forward some years later, I picked up cycling again. This time was comparing the old G40 36 spokes wheel I built to a new set of Ksyrium SSCs on Grand Prix 3000 tires. The Ksyrium wheels were so much more responsive again, making my old Torelli Alum./carbon bike feel so much more "alive". That "spring back" from the BB was there again. Not only do tires make a difference, but a light, tighter, wheel will transform the feel also. Now, wider handle bar will create more torque off the saddle, also making the bike feel a little easier to pedal.
Old 11-16-15, 09:35 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Certainly, some Japan-built frames have/had a dead ride quality - but that's true for bikes built anywhere in the world. Not every company can produce a Peugeot quality ride from gas-pipe.

Anyone who has ever owned a Bridgestone RB-1/RB-2/RB-T/XO-1, or a 3Rensho, or Nagasawa, or '80s era Panasonic, or one of the Konno brothers' masterworks (Cherubim) can attest to the ride quality. Ishiwata 022 and Tange #2 are world-class tubesets, giving up little to nothing in terms of ride to anything Columbus or Reynolds ever produced. So it's pretty safe to say that Japan-built doesn't mean dead.

By contrast, there are a number of carbon bikes that feel/felt dead. Early Kestrels and Trek carbon specials come to mind.
Old 11-16-15, 04:04 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Weird thread. Fan of 80's/90 classic lugged w/ Tange Champion incl. 2. Also, had time on a 90's Specialized Allez of which might have been made under the watch of Yoshi Konno. Fine machines.
Old 11-16-15, 05:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
Its true- Japanese frames are dead dead dead - not worth a lick of time and terrible to ride. Proper funerals cost an arm and a leg, and the permit fees for quick burial in the back yard have gone up 300% in just 2 years.

Luckily for you I am willing to take them off your hands for a modest fee + shipping! The average frame to my door will only cost you $70 (+plus fees) and you will rest easy knowing the bike has gone to a better place.

We also accept Japanese components. (Please use bubblewrap)
Noble gesture.
Old 11-16-15, 05:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by verktyg
Robbie, almost haiku...

verktyg

Chas.
I ain't got no rhythm.
Old 11-16-15, 05:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by kunsunoke
By contrast, there are a number of carbon bikes that feel/felt dead. Early Kestrels and Trek carbon specials come to mind.
My one complaint about a Y-Foil. The looks darn near overcome it.
Old 11-17-15, 08:04 PM
vendorz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I liken the ride of my tourers to the ride of a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado.
There ya go!!! I always likened the ride of my too-big Nishiki Seral to the ride of a cruise ship.
Old 11-17-15, 09:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
OK, personal anecdote, for what it's worth.

My first road bike was a low-end 1962 Bianchi Corsa, with 26" tires and steel cranks, rims, and brake calipers.

In 1971 I upgraded to an American Eagle Semi-Pro (Nishiki Competition), which was before Japanese bicycles became fashionable in the US. I put 40K miles on it (including three centuries, a couple of double metrics, and a double century) over the next 20 years, until the frame broke, and I always defended it against those who claimed Semi-Pros were spongy, dead, and heavy, despite their double-butted Ishiwata CrMo tubing. It was not a bad frame, particularly when I put tubulars on it, but my subsequent mixed tubeset road bikes (1980 Peugeot PKN10 and 1981 Bianchi Campione d'Italia) were much more lively, responsive, and fun to ride, so I would have to say that my Nishiki indeed had a "dead" ride quality.

I concur with others who have noted that by the late 1970s the Japanese manufacturers were turning out some world class frames, and I had always liked the SunTour derailleurs and freewheels, Sugino cranksets, and DiaCompe brakes. A modest Nishiki Olympic from the early 1980s is arguably a much better frame my old Semi-Pro.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-03-16, 09:05 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Since a previous post of mine seems to have triggered this thread, perhaps I should respond. Yes, many of the early boom era Japanese models did have a "dead" ride quality. Personally, I have always thought this was intentional. In the aftermath of World war II, anything with a Made in Japan label was viewed as inferior. The Japanese knew that in order conquer foreign markets they would have to offer superior value. They had the low labour costs but needed to improve the quality. Consequently they brought in Quality experts like Juran and Demming, who were being ignored in their native America. Japan took their quality philosophies to heart and began rebuilding their industries.

The Japanese also realized that Americans had been brought up on the single speed roadsters (and later, hi-risers) and were quite abusive with their bicycles, as they were primarily used by children. In order to successfully build their reputation, the Japanese over engineered their bicycles. The easiest way to do this and maintain cost effectiveness, is to use more material, which results in a stronger but heavier bicycle.

The chief competition during the early days of the boom were the French. Unlike America, France (and Europe in general) still had a large adult population riding bicycles and children were brought up to respect their bicycles and care for them properly. Consequently, these bicyc les tended not to be over designed and the racing models, particularly the French, favoured lightness over long term durability. The French were the original weight weenies.

Boom era, entry level models like the Peugeot U08 and Gitane Gran Sport were 28 lb bicycles while models like the Fuji S-10-S and Nishiki Olympic could not break 30 lbs. Move up the scale and you could get 21 lb bicycles like a Peugeot PX 10 or Gitane de France, while the Fuji Newest tipped the scales at 23 lbs and the Nishik Pro was 24 lbs. However, both these models were more expensive than the French models. Limit yourself to the PX10 and TdF price range and you got a 25 lb Nishiki Road Compe! Any rider knew that a lighter bicycle was more lively.

Furthermore, the French trimmed the weight were it was critical, in the rims and tires, particularly on the better models. The standard Mavic Montherly was 40g lighter than the Araya or Ukai 16B. I recall their being even bigger difference in the tires and the French typically had about a 1/2 lb advantage in wheel weight. The resulting improvement in acceleration and climbing was notable.

The French also utilized metric sized tubing which was typically a smaller diameter. Thus, for a given wall thickness, the French frame would automatically have a small weight advantage. More critically, the tubes and resulting frame were not as stiff, resulting in a more resilient and lively feel.

The increased resiliency was often exploited by tightening of the rear triangle to increase responsiveness without impacting the comfort. The PX10 and TdF both had 16.75" chainstays while the Newest and Road Compe were 1/4" and 1/2" longer respectively. The Newest and Road Compe also had combinations of wheelbase and rake that led to more stability over the PX 10 and TdF. Stability, while desirable in some aspects, is generally considered to be less lively.

The weight advantage, increased tubing resiliency and tighter geometry of French bicycles all added up to a lively feel. Thus, compared to the French, which were the standard at the time, the Japanese bicycle did feel relatively dead.

However, the conservative design approach and excellent workmanship, allowed the Japanese to get a toehold in the American entry level market. Once this was secured, they never looked back. As the American public became more educated about cycling, the Japanese started improving their product, moving towards the sate of the art. By the end of the decade, the Japanese bicycle was far removed form the early boom era offerings.
Old 01-03-16, 10:30 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
"...but it's harder to immerse myself into the fantasy of being [insert favorite European pro] on the [insert storied climb] on a Japanese bike..."
Old 01-03-16, 12:02 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
My one complaint about a Y-Foil. The looks darn near overcome it.
It may feel dead, but there's no denying that it climbs close to 10% faster than my steel bikes.
Old 01-03-16, 12:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Quoted: 4690 Post(s)
Liked 5,837 Times in 2,297 Posts
I had a Ciocc years back. Rode like an oxcart. So did a first year Cannondale. Neither were Japanese. My Lotus Classique is pretty lively, however.

All were within a cm of the same frame size.
Old 01-03-16, 12:39 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Troll.
lol, trouble maker might be more accurate.
Old 01-03-16, 12:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
So when I first got into riding in the early 80s, everyone *knew* that European bikes were better than Japanese bikes and most people I knew thought that Italian bikes were *better* than French ones. There were a few deluded souls, however, who still believed in English bikes but I figured that anyone who likes tweed doesn't know much, right?

Then I bought a team miyata to race on and well I never looked back. I have Japanese and American bikes (and one seriously oddball bike from Argentina just to spice things up a bit). I like Miyata and Bridgestones and Specializeds a lot and all were made in Japan. I rate them as highly as I do my made in the US Trek bikes. Everything else being equal, I probably like vintage Treks the best but that's a close call and my answer may change depending on what stage the moon is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.