Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Leader Love!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 08:33 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Didn't cc700 have his FTP powdercoated? Or was that paint?
Old 02-14-13, 12:04 PM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yep. From his pedalroom:

"Salmon Pink to Pearl White fade sparkle powder on the frame"

seems fine to me.
Old 02-14-13, 12:07 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well good luck. I had some orange peel on my powder coated Al frame, bottom the headtube primarily.
Old 02-14-13, 12:09 PM
calv
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Is it something that's hit or miss or can a really good professional make sure something like that wont happen?
Old 02-14-13, 12:12 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by calv
Is it something that's hit or miss or can a really good professional make sure something like that wont happen?
I'm told it's hit or miss, but I'm sure if you find someone that deals with more aluminum that others they would be better at preventing it.
Old 02-23-13, 11:40 PM
noire

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing a Leader Fork for 725 Build

Hey All,

I was originally going to post this in "Ask Scrod" but I'm going to post this in here to ask the rest of you leader-heads:

I'm getting a 2013 Leader 725 (size 51), and am trying to decide on a fork. I figured I'd go with one of the Leader forks - either the new 2013 i806A V3 (Aluminum) fork or the i06TR (carbon blades with aluminum steerer); the i806TR is out of my price range. This is my first aluminum frame. I have a kilo TT, and Pake Rum Runner. This bike will not be a daily rider, but for longer rides (in downtown and outskirts as well).

I've done some searching on the web/BF about carbon vs. aluminum forks, and specifically tried to find comparisons of the leader forks. I get that the carbon absorbs bumps better and saves on the weight. I haven't found much specifically about these Leader forks, except for a a thread from last year - Scrod, you mentioned there that the leader aluminum forks are terrible, and generally that aluminum forks are terrible. Is the new i806A fork an exception? Anything special about it that improves on the previous versions - aside from the new version being more tapered and slimmed out at the ends?

Can anyone here lend their experiences with the Leader aluminum forks (including the new version), or any reasons why I should really consider going one way or the other? I don't want to have to go with the i06tr unless the reasons really weigh in its favour. Also, I'm open to considering non-leader forks in the same price range. For aesthetics, I'd like to consider straight blade fork, and sleak.

Thanks for any suggestions/input!
Old 02-23-13, 11:44 PM
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would but a silly looking steel fork or cheap ebay or Nashbar carbon($100) on a bike before I'd even consider an aluminum fork. I've ridden a handful of them and hated everything about the ride with it.
Old 02-24-13, 08:24 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by noire
Scrod, you mentioned there that the leader aluminum forks are terrible, and generally that aluminum forks are terrible. Is the new i806A fork an exception?
No. It looks nice but will give you a very harsh ride.

The problem with finding a suitable off-brand carbon fork for use on a Leader frame is that you most likely won't find one with the proper amount of rake.

If you don't plan on using a brake, this is a good choice too (and costs less than the I806A):

https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...f04-track-fork

If you'll be using a brake, save up some more money and get the I06TR.
Old 02-25-13, 12:28 AM
noire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ddeadserious and Scrod for your input. I've decided to stay clear from an aluminum fork. I'll most likely go with the i06TR fork. Scrod, when you first made the announcement about carrying the Alpina fork a few weeks ago I was pretty psyched, but then saw that the rake was 30. I thought that 30 instead of 35 would have been too much of a difference; but based on your recommendation, I guess it's all good. Aside from that though, I've decided to go with a front brake on this set up so it wouldn't work out. What a gorgeous fork though - I love the sleek look of it on the Kagero. By the way, would the Alpina match/sit pretty flush with the 725's headtube or is the fork a bit slimmer?

Here's another question for you and anyone else: do you know what the fork is on the promo photo from City Grounds for their limited edition 725 both photo of the orange and silver builds? It's also on pedal room's 'Paul' 's profile (I assume he's associated with City Grounds). Check out the photos here: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2013-l...25mid-ltd-8105 . It doesn't seem to be the i06TR. The shape of the blades look more like the i806TR (tapered) rather than the i06TR (equal width down the length), plus it ha has a gold 'leader' label at the bottom of the fork, unlike the i06TR which has black one. In 'Paul' 's pedalroom profile of the 725's, he says the fork is 'i06TR'. It doesn't look the i06TR that I commonly see online, on Coghouse, Retrogression, CityGrounds, Pedalroom 725 profiles ( https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...-aluminum-fork ) . Anyone have an idea, maybe the one in the phtoos is a newer/not-released version of the i06TR?

Last edited by noire; 02-25-13 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-25-13, 04:10 AM
YoEdgar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I owned the i806a v2. Very harsh ride and I could feel everything on the road. After riding my bolt around with the carbon fork on it i don't ever want to own another full aluminum fork again.
Old 02-25-13, 11:35 AM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just noticed Coghouse is putting a ton of the new 725's with badly welded bottom brackets on eBay. That's gotta be a headache for leader. I wonder how many of these are slipping through the cracks or if ones that look alright now will have problems in the future. It looks like they welded them way to hot.

https://stores.ebay.com/Coghouse/2013...=p4634.c0.m322
Old 02-25-13, 11:37 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by noire
Thanks ddeadserious and Scrod for your input. I've decided to stay clear from an aluminum fork. I'll most likely go with the i06TR fork. Scrod, when you first made the announcement about carrying the Alpina fork a few weeks ago I was pretty psyched, but then saw that the rake was 30. I thought that 30 instead of 35 would have been too much of a difference; but based on your recommendation, I guess it's all good. Aside from that though, I've decided to go with a front brake on this set up so it wouldn't work out. What a gorgeous fork though - I love the sleek look of it on the Kagero. By the way, would the Alpina match/sit pretty flush with the 725's headtube or is the fork a bit slimmer?

Here's another question for you and anyone else: do you know what the fork is on the promo photo from City Grounds for their limited edition 725 both photo of the orange and silver builds? It's also on pedal room's 'Paul' 's profile (I assume he's associated with City Grounds). Check out the photos here: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2013-l...25mid-ltd-8105 . It doesn't seem to be the i06TR. The shape of the blades look more like the i806TR (tapered) rather than the i06TR (equal width down the length), plus it ha has a gold 'leader' label at the bottom of the fork, unlike the i06TR which has black one. In 'Paul' 's pedalroom profile of the 725's, he says the fork is 'i06TR'. It doesn't look the i06TR that I commonly see online, on Coghouse, Retrogression, CityGrounds, Pedalroom 725 profiles ( https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...-aluminum-fork ) . Anyone have an idea, maybe the one in the phtoos is a newer/not-released version of the i06TR?
The crown on the Alpina fork is pretty close to those on Leader forks and matches the oversize head tube on Leader frames pretty well.

The fork on that orange 725 is the full-carbon I806TR.
Old 02-25-13, 11:48 PM
noire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YoEdgar - Thanks for the feedback. It's amazing how there is just such little positive experiences people have with the aluminum forks. I'm surprised that leader makes them seeing that carbon forks (with aluminum steerers) aren't that much more expensive, or sometimes the same price ( like those gorgeous Alpinas).

Scrod - If I didn't need to the brake hole, I'd be all over the Alpina. What a great fork at a great price. Those lines are just straight up sexy. I was actually sitting on the fence for a long time between the 725 and the Dolan Track Champion when I heard you were carrying Dolan.

As for the orange 725, yah I just clued into it this morning that the fork was I806TR. Thanks for verifying. 'Mystery' solved
Old 02-26-13, 12:20 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn
Just noticed Coghouse is putting a ton of the new 725's with badly welded bottom brackets on eBay. That's gotta be a headache for leader. I wonder how many of these are slipping through the cracks or if ones that look alright now will have problems in the future. It looks like they welded them way to hot.
I bought one of those off Ebay and kind of bummed, luckily it's only on one side and outside of the one burn through, it's decent welds for the rest of it. Probably gonna build it and ride it and if it gives me problems, put it on CL and some trust fund kid will likely buy it for full retail. Though I can't really ***** at a half off frame.

Old 02-26-13, 12:48 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Probably gonna build it and ride it and if it gives me problems, put it on CL and some trust fund kid will likely buy it for full retail.
Not cool bro.
Old 02-26-13, 12:55 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nashbar FTP round 2
Old 02-26-13, 01:29 AM
chicagoSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Huffandstuff;15317692] Probably gonna build it and ride it and if it gives me problems, put it on CL and some trust fund kid will likely buy it for full retail. [QUOTE]

It is people like you that are a serious cancer to all other bikers. I hope you grow up and learn some morality some day.
Old 02-26-13, 08:38 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

I bought one of those off Ebay and kind of bummed
Their descriptions are very detailed and you knew it was defective when you bought it.

Probably gonna build it and ride it and if it gives me problems, put it on CL and some trust fund kid will likely buy it for full retail.
Dick move.

Though I can't really ***** at a half off frame.
Yet here you are.
Old 02-26-13, 09:39 AM
JohnnyBighead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the possible issues with these eBay Leader frames? I would love to get onto a Leader, but the cash just isnt there right now.... Any thoughts?
Old 02-26-13, 10:05 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

You should ask them.

It looks to me like the welds are just sloppy and the frames didn't pass QC as a result. I'm fairly certain Leader wouldn't be dumping a bunch of potentially unsafe frames on their customers.
Old 02-26-13, 10:49 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is people like you that are a serious cancer to all other bikers. I hope you grow up and learn some morality some day.
By full retail I meant what I paid for all the parts/labor aka me not losing my ass. Somehow it's acceptable for leader to sell these frames but as an individual I can't? I was mostly posting since someone posted about the bb welds and I was adding to that statement, just as a buyer beware. Leader has it listed as minor cosmetic but if you get a horrible weld like that.silver.one posted, thats structural.

I'm still building it and gonna decide to keep/sell after I put the bb/crank in to see how it fits. You should be pumped scrod cause i'm likely gona buy that alpina fork on your website.
Old 02-26-13, 10:58 AM
chicagoSS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you build the frame and find something defective with it you think you should be able to sell it without disclosing the defect? Especially when the connotation is that you are going to profit by selling it to someone who doesn't know about bikes and that is alright because they have a trust fund.
Old 02-26-13, 11:05 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Leader has it listed as minor cosmetic but if you get a horrible weld like that.silver.one posted, thats structural.
I doubt it. The frame is made of heat-treated aluminum, not papier-mâché.
Old 02-26-13, 11:13 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
damn son, look at those accents.
Old 02-26-13, 11:21 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Just keeping it real, holmes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.