Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 03-15-16, 06:50 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
If you do get rollers, I suggest doing it now. There is a bit of a learning curve to riding them.
Old 03-15-16, 07:30 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I have a set of the cheap Performance brand Travel Trac rollers. They work well for my use and would probably suit your needs. And I agree that it is probably a good idea to get some practice on them.

I've also seen some very narrow rollers with a front fork mount that are designed for race warm ups. I think they pack up pretty small. That might work well for your needs. Here's one: https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/...table-trainer/. It's pretty pricey though.
Old 03-15-16, 08:26 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I have a set of the cheap Performance brand Travel Trac rollers. They work well for my use and would probably suit your needs. And I agree that it is probably a good idea to get some practice on them.

I've also seen some very narrow rollers with a front fork mount that are designed for race warm ups. I think they pack up pretty small. That might work well for your needs. Here's one: https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/...table-trainer/. It's pretty pricey though.
I've been drooling over those ones...but $450ish ain't cheap. I think my eventual warm-up set-up will be those, but I need something in the meantime.
Old 03-15-16, 09:24 AM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to do much more than 200 watts at 90 rpm you probably need rollers with resistance
Old 03-15-16, 09:36 AM
Andy STi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem with rollers is you need flat ground. If you're parked in a field or grassy lot a trainer will be easier. Just something to think about.
Old 03-15-16, 09:54 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is the stages power meter protection plan worth it?
Old 03-15-16, 09:56 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
^ probably not.. They fixed the battery door problem which is the only issue I've had.
Old 03-15-16, 10:30 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just leave the trainer-compatible skewer on full-time so you don't have to swap anything pre-race.
Old 03-15-16, 12:06 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
my stages had power drain issue. upon search, this is somewhat common. currently going through the warranty process.
Old 03-15-16, 12:18 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike868y
is the stages power meter protection plan worth it?

Maybe. They do fail and break sometimes.
Old 03-15-16, 12:25 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Maybe. They do fail and break sometimes.
sure but i think that would be covered under warranty, no? this is more for crashes and damage, at least that what i've gathered. it's probably worth it though.
Old 03-15-16, 12:30 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure but i think that would be covered under warranty, no? this is more for crashes and damage, at least that what i've gathered. it's probably worth it though.
It's pretty low risk area IMO, but it's your $$. I didn't buy it when I purchased two Stages for us last year. Glad I didn't because two sets of warranty replacements later we sold them.
Old 03-15-16, 12:32 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harlan
It's pretty low risk area IMO, but it's your $$. I didn't buy it when I purchased two Stages for us last year. Glad I didn't because two sets of warranty replacements later we sold them.
what'd you go with instead?
Old 03-15-16, 12:36 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what'd you go with instead?
Wahoo Kickrs inside, HRMs outside. Made winter oh so enjoyable. Plus I spend a month at sea per year - the kickr will save my bacon.

I'm not really out of the market, but have been fine by RPE/HR so far. Ideally want a Pioneer. Just need to save $ for it (remember whatever I buy, double it). We are dinks, just dogs and we rent.

I somewhat prefer doing indoor anaerobic work. No need to watch for traffic, plan routes (there aren't any good ones), or worry about differences in FTP between us and me ending up miles down the road.
Old 03-15-16, 12:50 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I broke one on my cross bike (cracked the pod), and had another fail out of warranty. I was an early adopter so they had comped me the protection plan, which covered the out-of-warranty fail. The cracked one still mostly works, but I'd have replaced it if I had the protection plan.
Old 03-15-16, 04:19 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ordered it. the beginning of the end.
Old 03-15-16, 05:15 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Just leave the trainer-compatible skewer on full-time so you don't have to swap anything pre-race.
yeah that's what I do. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine for the trainer. There should be a glut of used trainers on the market because zwift.
Old 03-15-16, 08:28 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Wahoo kickr snap question: I bought this smart trainer a couple months ago and enjoy it for the most part. Issue is that the resistance generated when just under target seems high. For instance if I have target resistance set to 200 watts and I am at 180 it seems to generate a high resistance (feels like 300 watts!) until I get back up to 200... if I happen to drop down to 150 watts I have to be out of the saddle mashing the cranks to get back up to target wattage. I've done multiple calibrations and tried different iOS apps. Current favorite app is Cycleops virtualtraining.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Old 03-15-16, 09:02 PM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had that problem the first day I had the SNAP, did the firmware update and advanced spin down,and haven't had it since.
Old 03-15-16, 09:18 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by palesaint
Wahoo kickr snap question: I bought this smart trainer a couple months ago and enjoy it for the most part. Issue is that the resistance generated when just under target seems high. For instance if I have target resistance set to 200 watts and I am at 180 it seems to generate a high resistance (feels like 300 watts!) until I get back up to 200... if I happen to drop down to 150 watts I have to be out of the saddle mashing the cranks to get back up to target wattage. I've done multiple calibrations and tried different iOS apps. Current favorite app is Cycleops virtualtraining.

A calibration spin-down might help, as valygrl mentioned. I use a Kickr with VirtualTraining, and I've noticed that it's sometimes a bit heavy-handed in erg mode; but I don't know if this is just a limitation of the trainer or a software issue with VirtualTraining. I've found that hard intervals (above threshold) can be really difficult, because you've got to keep the cadence up; otherwise resistance will go up and you end up getting bogged down. It doesn't help that sometimes the Kickr has 'dropouts' where it momentarily reports a much lower wattage and causes the app to raise the resistance quite a bit.
Old 03-16-16, 06:41 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by palesaint

Interesting, as the complaints I see are the opposite, that the Kickr reads high compared to reality. Definitely keep the firmware up to date and run the calibration, but don't do this every time. Set it once and ride it for a while.
Old 03-16-16, 06:45 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Interesting, as the complaints I see are the opposite, that the Kickr reads high compared to reality. Definitely keep the firmware up to date and run the calibration, but don't do this every time. Set it once and ride it for a while.
he's talking about in ERG mode.. if you let your cadence drop too low...it indeed feels heavy. I too experience this at very low cadence levels. I really wish they would release the app that lets you adjust slope like the old days, although my kickr currently is matching well with my vectors..stages read about 5w higher, but then I'm left leg dominate too.
Old 03-16-16, 06:52 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought he might have been referring to his unfamiliarity with erg mode but that doesn't negate the need to get it working right first.
Old 03-16-16, 07:09 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Yes, I have that issue - Kickr SNAP reads 15-20 watts above powertap, so I have to increase the target wattage to in the app to reach the actual wattage. TrainerRoad has a nice watt matching feature to handle this internally, but Zwift does not (yet), so I have to put in fake higher FTP.

I think it was the firmware update that really solved my issue, not necessarily the spindown. But if you get bogged down, if you come to a complete stop before re-starting, the brake will release and you can get going again. I had the same issue with computrainers in a class I used to take.
Old 03-16-16, 07:25 AM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Thanks all for feedback. I've done multiple calibration spindowns with identical results. One thing I haven't done is check for firmware update. Will do that and report back!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.