Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 06:14 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
Patriot1, thanks for the wealth of info.
I took delivery of the comp X1, 2019 as seen in the photo(Cant post pictures yet, 10 posts coming soon......).
First impressions, this bike is a cruiser with an attitude problem! For me I had a 22 mile delightful night of thrashing about the waterline of Baltimore cities inner harbor.
I was shocked at the fatigue I did not encounter. In the beginning I missed what I remember being lighter gearing on the hills but quickly got used to it.

Another thing that stuck to my memory was how invincible I was to anything on the road, from blasting full speed over old cobblestone streets (something I would have walked my 700cc bike over before lol).
What can I say, the wheels/tires are a bit heavy and a drag, but my goodness the transitions up and down sidewalks was amazing. I was always kind of a wus about going off curbs, not anymore.
And all with no shocks. I dont know if this is the only bike you should own, but if it is life will still be good.

Anyways I do have an issue and its so small and silly I hate to post it here.
Has anyone had issues adjusting the height of their saddle, and the post not staying still?
After getting the bike on the road, I adjusted the seat lower from the shop and it had some left to right action, I adjusted it again tightening the nut more, this time it was very difficult to close the Quick Release for the seat post, but there is still a tiny bit of movement.
It is the post itself I can feel it shift. Not enough to make a difference, but I never had a saddle with any give to it.
Is this an issue with the paint breaking in?
Is there something unique, proprietary or special to our post. My father took a look and thinks the post is different because it has grooves in it.
Patriot1, can you try sitting and shifting your but, do you get any play in your saddle. Thanks a million!
GeorgeMD, glad to hear you are enjoying new ride! I look forward to seeing pics posted once you are off 10 post probation.
To answer your question about the seat post movement. What you are experiencing is the movement or play as you say
of the suspension seat slightly from side to side. Yes I am experiencing it as well. All Rolls have this, and adjusting the seat post
clamp tighter will not correct the issue.
This seat movement from side to side, my local Specialized shop owner did make aware of. I agree with you, it is a bit annoying.
A regular non suspension replacement seat post would cure this, I am not sure if I will change this out yet, probably not.
Be careful not to overtighten the seat post clamp, you can break it. It needs to be tight but not gorilla gonzo hands tight.

I added a frame bag to both our Rolls, I don’t like wearing a backpack, but do like carrying a few apples, oranges, bananas and energy bars when I ride.
The same frame bag for my wifes bike will arrive in a day or so. I ordered mine first to check fit. Congrats on the Roll!

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-19-19 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 06:09 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Yeah, all telescoping seat posts like that will have some movement like described. One idea is moving to a parallelogram seat post, like the Kinekt or the Satori Animaris. My father has both of these on his e-bikes, and I have ridden on the Kinect. He's bringing both with him when they come to visit us next week, so I'll get to try the Satori also. From his description, he can't tell a difference between the two, and the Satori is one third the price of the Kinekt.

You can tune these with springs that match your weight. You can tune them super soft, so the ride is like an old Cadillac. Or you can tune them pretty tight, so they just take the sharp edges off. I rode on my mom's bike when I lasted visited them, and hers is tuned to her weight, which is 100 pounds fewer than my weight. It rode like an old Cadillac and I'll say...it was quite comfortable. We did a 30 mile loop that day from their house up to Snow Canyon (which is about 10 miles of gravel desert road) and back. Her bike has a 63mm Suntour NEX fork and a Kinekt seat post, and I could feel next to nothing in terms of bumps and impacts. It was almost like riding a dirt bike. I was gliding over manhole covers like they weren't there at all. Now...that's obviously on one extreme, and I wouldn't put a 140 pound spring under my 240 pound bum, but I liked the concept. There is no wiggle at all. The seatpost is completely stable and smooth in its travel.

But those were on e-bikes. I'm going to try the seatposts on my hybrid and MTB when my folks visit us here next week to see how they do with full pedal bikes in my local conditions. As I recall, the Kinekt is about $250ish and the Satori Animaris is about $60 on Amazon. Suntour also make one, but I haven't personally tried it. It seems to be in the low $100ish range.
Old 03-23-19, 06:30 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yeah, all telescoping seat posts like that will have some movement like described. One idea is moving to a parallelogram seat post, like the Kinekt or the Satori Animaris. My father has both of these on his e-bikes, and I have ridden on the Kinect. He's bringing both with him when they come to visit us next week, so I'll get to try the Satori also. From his description, he can't tell a difference between the two, and the Satori is one third the price of the Kinekt.

You can tune these with springs that match your weight. You can tune them super soft, so the ride is like an old Cadillac. Or you can tune them pretty tight, so they just take the sharp edges off. I rode on my mom's bike when I lasted visited them, and hers is tuned to her weight, which is 100 pounds fewer than my weight. It rode like an old Cadillac and I'll say...it was quite comfortable. We did a 30 mile loop that day from their house up to Snow Canyon (which is about 10 miles of gravel desert road) and back. Her bike has a 63mm Suntour NEX fork and a Kinekt seat post, and I could feel next to nothing in terms of bumps and impacts. It was almost like riding a dirt bike. I was gliding over manhole covers like they weren't there at all. Now...that's obviously on one extreme, and I wouldn't put a 140 pound spring under my 240 pound bum, but I liked the concept. There is no wiggle at all. The seatpost is completely stable and smooth in its travel.

But those were on e-bikes. I'm going to try the seatposts on my hybrid and MTB when my folks visit us here next week to see how they do with full pedal bikes in my local conditions. As I recall, the Kinekt is about $250ish and the Satori Animaris is about $60 on Amazon. Suntour also make one, but I haven't personally tried it. It seems to be in the low $100ish range.
Great info! Thanks for sharing. Wife and I got a good shakedown 15 mi lunch ride in today. We really are enjoying these Rolls!

Old 03-23-19, 11:04 PM
Tentasby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Hello. I am new to the forum and not sure if I am posting correctly. I visited my LBS today and I road the Roll and fell in love. I will be going back next week to purchase one.

Patriot 1...I was wondering if you could share where you purchased your camo accessories? I read all post from the beginning and am even more excited about my soon to be purchase.

Last edited by Tentasby; 03-23-19 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 06:11 PM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by Tentasby
Hello. I am new to the forum and not sure if I am posting correctly. I visited my LBS today and I road the Roll and fell in love. I will be going back next week to purchase one.

Patriot 1...I was wondering if you could share where you purchased your camo accessories? I read all post from the beginning and am even more excited about my soon to be purchase.
Hey great to hear you are picking up a Roll! What model color?
I ordered the “digital camo” bike bags come from a company called Jandd.com. I am very impressed with their products. I have the large frame bag just an fyi. The site is intuitive you just have to see what’s avaiable or in stock. Jandd is great about answering emails as well. Welcome to the forum! Hope I have helped!

Just switched out our original black seats and added the two tone black and brown seats to our Taupe Rolls.
You will find they need to be tipped nose up slightly so your sit bones engage the “cup” of the Roll seat.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-24-19 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 05:12 PM
GeorgeMD

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks for the input on the saddle and the post. Its not as noticeable now.

Hey Patriot1 What made you decide to use XPEL Paint Protection on your Matte Roll over liberal use of Helicopter Tape?
I want to protect the high rub and impact areas, and I like the idea of the tape as its easy to take off and put back on.
I am also very interested in protection as I will be getting a Sirrus in carbon later this season.
Old 03-26-19, 05:43 PM
Tentasby

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1

Hey great to hear you are picking up a Roll! What model color?
I ordered the “digital camo” bike bags come from a company called Jandd.com. I am very impressed with their products. I have the large frame bag just an fyi. The site is intuitive you just have to see what’s avaiable or in stock. Jandd is great about answering emails as well. Welcome to the forum! Hope I have helped!

Just switched out our original black seats and added the two tone black and brown seats to our Taupe Rolls.
You will find they need to be tipped nose up slightly so your sit bones engage the “cup” of the Roll seat.

Thank you for much for the helpful information. I plan on getting the Roll Sport-Low Entry in the gloss mint color. I will be sure to check the website for the bags you have as well. The two tone seats look great.
Old 03-27-19, 01:57 AM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
Wow thanks for the input on the saddle and the post. Its not as noticeable now.

Hey Patriot1 What made you decide to use XPEL Paint Protection on your Matte Roll over liberal use of Helicopter Tape?
I want to protect the high rub and impact areas, and I like the idea of the tape as its easy to take off and put back on.
I am also very interested in protection as I will be getting a Sirrus in carbon later this season.
Night Owl here...
I had enough extra matte XPEL p/p laying around from a previous project that I decided it was enough to do both
our Rolls covering the top tube, down tube, seat post tube, front forks, steering stem, rear seat and chain stays.
Its tedious work, but satisfying once finished and you cannot see it unless I point out where its applied.
We have XPEL p/p on both our vehicles, have used it for years and it’s amazing paint protection material.
Should you need to remove it you apply steam and gently pull the material off the frame.
I personally do not see a need to remove the p/p material. Its excellent very strong, cleans up nicely with lemon pledge or Plexus.
Most of all I have learned and know how to install it properly. That’s my story.

Not p/p here but bought a small roll of 3m digital camo and covered my stem cap to match the camo bags.
Just a little SWAG I guess or custom detail work.

Digital camo stem cap.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-27-19 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 02:16 AM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by Tentasby
Thank you for much for the helpful information. I plan on getting the Roll Sport-Low Entry in the gloss mint color. I will be sure to check the website for the bags you have as well. The two tone seats look great.
You are welcome. The bags are a little spendy be but they are well made and of good quaility. I would buy again.
Look in their sale area on the website, there are sometimes deals to be had.
I emailed Specialized and was informed that the two tone black and brown seats cannot be purchased through Specialized bummer oh a bummer. So I got creative and got in touch with very cool local Specialized dealer who was willing to swap seat colors off two floor model Rolls with me so I could have the black and brown seats. You can buy just the all brown seats, just not the two tones. Go figure?

Post up a few photos of your Roll when you take delivery!

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-27-19 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 06:04 PM
HLW

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MTB tubeless conversion

I've run a couple different wheelsets on my Roll. For the last 2 years or so I used a 700c wheelset with a dynohub which has been great for the road, but I was limited to a 2.0" slick due to fork crown clearance since I have fenders. I'm not using the Roll as a commuter anymore, so I decided to go back to 650b for the larger volume tire and run a mtb tire this time. I'm running it tubeless and it has been great so far. The Roll fenders clear the knobs no problem.

The Roll just keeps calling me back. I may be spending more time on the mtb or road bike at any given time, but nothing beats a nice all day ride on a bike with no computer, power meter, strava, etc just out enjoying the ride.

Last edited by HLW; 04-11-19 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 06:22 PM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by HLW
I've run a couple different wheelsets on my Roll. For the last 2 years or so I used a 700c wheelset with a dynohub which has been great for the road, but I was limited to a 2.0" slick due to fork crown clearance since I have fenders. I'm not using the Roll as a commuter anymore, so I decided to go back to 650b for the larger volume tire and run a mtb tire this time. I'm running it tubeless and it has been great so far. The Roll fenders clear the knobs no problem.

The Roll just keeps calling me back. I may be spending more time on the mtb or road bike at any given time, but nothing beats a nice all day ride on a bike with no computer, power meter, strava, etc just out enjoying the ride.
Great story and photo! The Roll is a fun bike! We are really enjoying the seat time on

Last edited by Patriot1; 04-12-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 12:04 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Any other new Roll owners. I do really love mine. Only been riding about 30 minutes/5 miles a ride since my second hip replacement, but I’m not sure I would be back on a bike at all without the low entry.
Old 04-21-19, 12:28 AM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by MJH
Any other new Roll owners. I do really love mine. Only been riding about 30 minutes/5 miles a ride since my second hip replacement, but I’m not sure I would be back on a bike at all without the low entry.
Mark,
looks like no one has been bitten by the test ride yet. Keep up the riding.
Old 04-22-19, 08:43 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Will do!
Old 07-30-19, 11:49 PM
Ravensfan52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What size frame for a 6ft even 200lb man
Old 08-03-19, 04:59 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravensfan52
Probably large. I'm 6'1, 190, 33" inseam, and 34" sleeves: my bikes are all Ls, 19s, variations of large. Always depends on the bike AND on how it fits and feels to you.
Likes For BiciMan:
Old 08-04-19, 07:06 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravensfan52
I think that just like me, you're kind of on the line where either a medium or a large can work okay. I am 6-ft even, and have short legs and a long torso for my height (30in-inseam). The experienced guy at the bike shop eyeballed me on the medium and said I'd be better off with the large, so that's what I got. It's been fine. When choosing the bike, I test-rode the medium because that's what they had in stock for the single-chainring Elite though, and that was okay too. If that bike hadn't been the "special 420 edition" with the pimped gold chain and weed graphics, I'd probably have just bought it. Instead we ordered a large conventional elite for me.
Likes For YankeeRider: