Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Comfort Bike vs. Hybrid Bike vs. Day 6

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 01:48 PM
macadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a spine curvature issue that requires a different bike. Essentially, I can not ride a bike that puts the rider in a curved back position. Need something that is upright.

I have been doing research on this and have come up with three suggestions. One is a Day 6 Journey Bike that has a lumbar back support on the bike. I liked the upright position better than the recumbent position for me. The Day 6 is an upright position bike with the larger handbars to keep the rider upright.

And I have come across two other types of bikes. One type is a comfort bike and the other is hybrid. Apparently they are close but have their differences.

I am looking at riding around town and on a paved bike trail, no mountain biking. I once had a Giant Rincon mountain bike and did not find it comfortable for me.

For my condition and my riding style, would you recommend a comfort bike or hybrid or the Day 6 Journey? I might be overthinking this, but considered the Day 6 Journey to work on strengthing my back and getting used to riding again and then graduate to a comfort bike.

About a year ago, I purchased a TREK Verve 2 that I thought would be the bike I would keep forever. But the spine curvature issue was identified later and I found that even raising the handebars on the Verve 2 was still giving too much curve in the spine.

I did try the Giant Cypress DX (the 2018 model) when I bought the Verve 2, at the time I decided on the Verve 2. Trying the Giant Cypress DX again, this time, it feels more comfortable.

Any suggestions among the three alternatives (Day 6) (Hybrid)(Comfort) and specific recommendations will be greatly appreciated and considered.

Thank you in advance for your help
Old 08-07-19, 07:05 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
I added a spacer to my Trek FX to raise my handlebars which solved my similar issue. Sorry to hear it didn't help you.
Old 08-07-19, 07:52 AM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Most "hybrids" are going to have you still leaning forward. The Day 6 looks interesting, I guess I would call that a semi-recumbent. It might be just the thing for you. Do you have a dealer nearby where you could test ride? Alternately you might look at an Electra Townie or other crank-forward setups.

https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie
Old 08-07-19, 04:55 PM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
The Specialized Roll is a comfort bike with a significantly more upright position than the Trek Verve. I love mine. See also this thread.

Old 08-07-19, 07:47 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Check out a Cruzbike T-50.

However, with the comfort bikes and hybrid bikes, remember that you're not limited to the components that the bike comes with. You can start with a bike with a lot of stack and short reach, like a Specialized Sirrus. You can then use something like an Ergotec High Charisma stem to increase the effective stack of the bike and an Ergotec Stuttgarter handlebar to reduce the effective reach.

Check out the Trail-A-Bike Back Rest on Amazon or find something like it of you want a back rest like that Day 8 bike, and, in combination with some changes to the stem and handlebars of a hybrid bike, you could probably be quite comfortable.
Old 08-11-19, 01:19 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
I have a bad back from getting hit years ago on my motorcycle so when I was looking for my first bike to start back riding I ended up with the Specialized Expedition Sport. I bought that in 2013 and rode it a few times and liked it but didn't have anyone to ride with. After I didn't ride it for about 6 years I was going to the beach and really wanted to ride the boardwalk so cleaned it up and off to Wildwood NJ. I was on vacation for 7 days and rode every day on it and really enjoyed riding again. After riding it I really wanted disc brakes since I'm a bigger guy so after looking and talking with my buddy who owns a bike shop I bought a 2019 Specialized Crosstrail. Today was the first real ride and I did 15 miles and have to say I thought being bent over a little more would be a huge problem but found out I was pretty good. I think I will just raise the stem up some and change the handle bars to ones with a slight bend upwards and I will be really good.

Maybe the Specialized Roll comfort style bike would work for you. I was really looking at one but I wanted 700 sized tires but the Roll is a very nice bike and I was close to getting one a few months back but decided not to because I didn't ride enough at that time.

Hope you find something that works so you can get out and enjoy pain free riding.
Old 08-28-19, 04:30 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
I have a Cannondale adventure that has a monoshock and adjustable handlebars. When I have the bars forward, like many of the hybrids have. The longer rides are definitely not as comfortable as having the bars raised. For me the more upright riding position is more comfortable. I have mostly been riding rail trails, and since I started riding 3 months ago after I retired, I can't wait to get on the next trail. I just love it. Love the scenery along the rail trails, love the escape from the world, that riding provides, and there is just something about the sound of tires rolling over crushed limestone.
Likes For Alzerbster: