Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Newbie senior - seeking advice on hybrids/comfort bikes

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Newbie senior - seeking advice on hybrids/comfort bikes

Old 05-02-19, 06:30 PM
mr.rique

Bikes: Seeking first "real" bike in decades

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Newbie senior - seeking advice on hybrids/comfort bikes

All,

I'm unsure if Hybrid is the correct forum to use - if I need to cross-post or move this post, please steer me the right way - thanks!

My wife and I are "newbies" in the sense that we've never really owned a "real" bike (if you know what I mean). I was an avid and frequent rider in my youth, as was my wife - but it's been decades. So although we are both fairly comfortable and experienced (albeit from years ago), as of now we'd have to be classified as newbies.

For price range, we're looking at roughly $450 - $650. I could go up to $700, but as said, these will be our first "real" bikes in decades and so we should probably keep our investment on the conservative side (the closer to the $500 ballpark, probably the better).

We will be recreational and occasional riders. Mostly in-town or in-neighborhood bike paths, mostly gravel (very little paved). While the exercise is good for us, our intent is recreation more so than fitness. Most of the paths we ride on will be in the 2-4 mile range, ranging up to 6-8 mile round trips after we are more comfortable. Due to work schedules, we will be weekend riders (other than vacations and extended weekend getaways).

We live in rural Northern Virginia (Fauquier County), which is approx. an hour outside of Washington, DC.

I'm 5'8", overweight (200 lbs, trying to do something about that) and my wife is 5"3" and normal sized. I am totally at ease riding, mounting, dis-mounting - and my wife needs to work on her comfort level to regain the confidence of her youth. We're in our 60s - I'm 64, she's 60.

Our priority is comfort (easy cruising, not racing, not pushing ourselves). Light is better than heavy, upright is much better than not. My research initially pointed me in the direction of hybrids, but perhaps it should have more accurately been described as a cruiser that we should be looking at. I don't know what I don't know - kind of clueless about this.

Recommendations I've received thus far are the Electra Townie 7d, the Marin Fairfax 1, the Fuji Absolute 1.9, the Jamis Coda (Sport?), and the Trek Verve 2. The LBS pushed the Verve 2 and from what I've found online, that does seem to be the closest to what we are looking for (although I wonder if perhaps my wife would be more comfortable with the Townie). There were some others I looked at dismissed for a variety of reasons - SixThreeZero, Giant, Specialized Sirrus.

Hopefully that decently describes what we are looking for - and hopefully I'm posting all of this in the correct forum. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

-- Rique
Old 05-02-19, 09:33 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I would say that you need to spend some time on the bikes you are looking into with a test ride. Try to understand that the bike you decide does not have to be perfect as you can make adjustments in seats, height of bars and seat along with stem so try to get a bike you can adjust in many areas. Get a bike you can put larger tires on and do minor basic maintenance on. This way you can have the bike you will enjoy and not have a ton of money invested. Test rides are very important as only you will know what feels right for you. I tried other bikes but Cannondale was the fit for my body and the others, some you have mentioned, just didn't fit me. Your situation is uniquely yours and your wifes so look for comfort and adjustability.
Good luck, Frank.
Old 05-02-19, 09:43 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
It sounds like you're looking at the right type of bike for your needs. Although something like the Fuji Absolute is a little different than the Trek Verve as in it's more of a "fitness" bike, and therefore the geometry is setup for speed and efficiency. The Verve is a more upright, laid back bike. I wouldn't call it a cruiser, it's more of a comfort bike.

As was said, test ride as many as you can. Although bikes share the same components and geometry, different brands are like shoes. I'm a size 11.5 in Nike, and 12 in Adidas. So test ride bikes like you're trying on shoes.

I think you're on the right path with the bikes you're looking at, and your comfort level with your local bike shop is important too (at least to me anyway).
Old 05-03-19, 05:23 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Welcome, neighbor!

I'd also recommend looking at the Specialized Roll. I'd say it's sort of a cross between the Townie and the Verve, and step-through frames are available. They definitely have a different feel than other bikes, and may or may not be to your liking. Only a test ride will reveal that. Note that they have really high-rise handlebars that could theoretically be swapped with "normal" handlebars if you otherwise like the bike but don't like the tall rise on the bars. Your local bike shop would certainly have more information on that.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-19, 06:11 AM
Dirtbleed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The wife has a Specialized Roll and loves it. She is not that tall and the step thru frame separates this bike from the rest. The seat is really comfortable. Really great bike.
Old 05-03-19, 06:34 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.rique
All,

My wife and I are "newbies" in the sense that we've never really owned a "real" bike (if you know what I mean). I was an avid and frequent rider in my youth, as was my wife - but it's been decades. So although we are both fairly comfortable and experienced (albeit from years ago), as of now we'd have to be classified as newbies.

-- Rique
I'd suggest you try test riding different bikes of different styles and see what feels best.

What did you ride in your youth? I had not ridden in decades when I returned to the saddle and thought I wanted a hybrid or comfort bike. And that's what everyone told me I should want. But after riding a hybrid for a little while, I tried a road bike. It was like I was a kid again and it felt more natural to me. Maybe it was 40 year old muscle memory, but I found a road bike was the most comfortable ride for me.
Old 05-03-19, 10:47 AM
mr.rique

Bikes: Seeking first "real" bike in decades

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
It sounds like you're looking at the right type of bike for your needs. Although something like the Fuji Absolute is a little different than the Trek Verve as in it's more of a "fitness" bike, and therefore the geometry is setup for speed and efficiency. The Verve is a more upright, laid back bike. I wouldn't call it a cruiser, it's more of a comfort bike.

As was said, test ride as many as you can. Although bikes share the same components and geometry, different brands are like shoes. I'm a size 11.5 in Nike, and 12 in Adidas. So test ride bikes like you're trying on shoes.

I think you're on the right path with the bikes you're looking at, and your comfort level with your local bike shop is important too (at least to me anyway).
Thanks for validating that we're on the right path and for your insights on the Fuji. Like said, we don't know what we don't know - and specs and components mentioned on bike sites, bike store sites, bike forums, etc. are "Greek" to us right now. We will pick up the lingo over time, but like you and others have mentioned, fit will come down to putting our fannies on some bikes. Primarily, my purpose here it to get some validation (again, thanks!) that we're looking for (bike) love in all the right places - and also to see if there are some obvious considerations that we're overlooking.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-19, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Question what's in a category name.. ?

Medium wide 35 tire 700c rim straight bars derailleur drive train = hybrid

a type most brands want a slice of market segment for those shopping for that style

in local shop they sell Trek Dual Sport DS has a suspension front fork FX (fitness) does not,
and is lighter because of that ..

components are nicer as you get the more expensive models.
Old 05-03-19, 12:11 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Get your new bike soon and go trail riding! Too many nice trails in northern VA and MD to really list at moment. But hey, get it tonight and look at what you can do tomorrow:

Bring your bike and join us as we explore history and nature along a six mile section of the W&OD trail by Vienna, VA. Ages 8 and older. Bike helmet and water bottle required. This program will be led by NOVA Parks Roving Naturalist, David Garcia. For more information please contact him at (703) 268-6064 or email here.
SAT, MAY 25 AT 9 AMW&OD Spring Bike Ride
W&OD Trail · Ashburn, VAYou like W&OD Trail

**OOPS, misread the date. Not until later in May.

Last edited by travbikeman; 05-04-19 at 08:46 AM. Reason: correcting a date mistake
Old 05-04-19, 05:04 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use a KHS Westwood comfort bike and sounds like it would fit your needs as well. Perfect bike path bike.
Old 05-07-19, 11:47 AM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Rique, I recently asked a similar question here and rec'd a lot of helpful feedback, so I wish you luck as well! I just wanted to throw out that you and your wife may end up liking different bikes. Will you need a bike rack? I'm around 5'3" and found a men's small frame bike has been great for me. I can quickly and securely load my bike now and the bike weighs 28 pounds, which seems fairly light to me. I didn't get the Trek Verve 2, but I think it would have been a really good option. especially since I've been riding almost exclusively on gravely non paved paths. I've comfortably riding 8 to 14 miles at a time thanks to the LBS helping me adjust my seat and handlebars. So I guess that is a vote for working closely with a shop where you think you will get good service. This Bianchi Lucca is what I ended up with, I'm so happy and enjoying it, get your bikes!!!
Old 05-08-19, 08:56 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I'd like to add my support for looking at the Specialized Roll. I'm 70 yo male and a bit overweight, with 2 hip replacements and 1 knee replacement. I opted for the low entry for myself as I was having lots of trouble throwing my leg over the back. Great bike and very comfortable.
At least give one a test ride if possible.
Old 05-20-19, 01:03 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I'd suggest you try test riding different bikes of different styles and see what feels best.

What did you ride in your youth? I had not ridden in decades when I returned to the saddle and thought I wanted a hybrid or comfort bike. And that's what everyone told me I should want. But after riding a hybrid for a little while, I tried a road bike. It was like I was a kid again and it felt more natural to me. Maybe it was 40 year old muscle memory, but I found a road bike was the most comfortable ride for me.
I had a similar experience. I'm the same age (almost) as the OP and went for a hybrid but found myself craving speed so I bought a full blown drop bar racer and love it. It gets most of my ride time but if I feel like turning off the Strava and maybe hitting some bumpy roads I'm glad I kept the hybrid, which is actually more of a custom made urban assault vehicle/grocery grabber.
Old 07-04-19, 07:16 AM
ilanshanon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 70, and I ride a high-end carbon road bike for workouts, but I also wanted a comfort bike to recapture the fun of riding leisurely with my wife, especially when we take trips with our RV. She's had back surgery. So originally we bought a Townie 7D for both of us. She loves her Townie, but because of my road biking experience, I got bored with it. So after researching and thinking long and hard about it, I bought myself a Verve 2 with disk brakes. It has 24 gears, is lighter than the Townie, extends the distance and types of riding that I'll be able to do. I think that when the day comes that I'll have to give up my road bike, I'll still enjoy the Verve. The good thing about the Townie is the forward pedal placement which allows you to stop with feet on the ground. The bad thing about the Townie is the forward pedal placement which doesn't allow you to have as efficient power transfer from your legs to the bike, which limits your distance. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-19, 05:16 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Sure sounds like you're talking about the Specialized Roll Low Entry. Upright riding position is comfortable on your hands, wrists and back. Broad saddle is comfortable on a bike where your butt is carrying more of the weight than on a performance bike. Step-through entry is safe for those who might be less agile or surefooted. Wide 2.3in tires provide cushion and stability and the smooth tread keeps them reasonably efficient on the road. Wide platform pedals allow you to use any shoes for riding, and you don't need to worry about uncleating when you come to a stop. There are numerous Roll low entry models with different component sets, drivetrains and price points, here is the link to the whole Roll line.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...es/roll/c/roll

I would strongly suggest getting a convex mirror on the left side of the handlebars so you can keep on eye on traffic overtaking you. It improves both safety and confidence when riding in traffic. You can see such a mirror on my stepover Roll, pictured below.

Roll Elite stepover model

Another good choice would be the Electra Townie, although in these I'd recommend the Townie Path step-through. The standard Townies have the seat tube joining the frame at the bottom some 6 inches behind the bottom bracket, which makes for a comfortable cruiser but is difficult going up hills; the Townie Path is closer to a normal frame - it was brought out later in response to that criticism. I do think the Roll is the better of the two.

Last edited by YankeeRider; 07-06-19 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 07-06-19, 05:41 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Here's another photo of my stepover Roll (frame size=large for me). Although it looks like a mountain bike from some angles, here you can clearly see that it has a really tall head tube to raise the handlebars, and then a riser bar as well, plus the top tube slants down towards the rear - compared to a normal mountain bike, you've lifted the handlebars a good deal and dropped the seat significantly too. This takes the weight off your hands and wrists and straightens out your back and neck more with an upright riding position. I have issues in my hands and wrists from 30+ years of IT work, and I have a real problem in my neck due to a crushed cervical disk. I could no longer ride normal bikes for more than 15 minutes due to straight up pain. The Roll has solved those problems for me! Rode it for 2 hours on July 4th with no pain :-) The Low-Entry Roll keeps the rider geometry/position the same as this, but has a clever adaptation of the frame to keep the bottom wide open to swing your legs through.

Roll Elite stepover side view

Last edited by YankeeRider; 07-06-19 at 06:27 AM.