Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why did Titanium not take off amongst Pros?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why did Titanium not take off amongst Pros?

Old 08-25-19, 06:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
So after many years it cracked?
Yes, 1/2 vertical crack right alongside the cable stops on the downtube, parallel to the tube. Baffling place for a crack, never laid over, never crashed. The story was the original paint flaked off after about 2 years of use. Trek - who now owned Lemond, warrantied the frame and re-painted and having originally sold me this frame for $850 as a warranty replacement for a cracked Klein. A year later and the 2nd paint job was flaking off, so seemingly Trek was unaware that titanium requires some special work to keep paint on a titanium and refused to warranty a 2nd time. I then had it painted locally which lasted longer than Trek's version. Crack then developed and Trek refused to warranty as I had it painted not by Trek.

My only point is that Titanium isn't always the miracle metal people portray it. It can be flexy and have a bad initial design. My steel Soma road frame has a stiffer b-bracket. Just the way it goes.
Old 08-25-19, 08:24 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
just to split the difference, here's an amazing looking Japanese titanium bike that a shop near me has for sale for $2000

guessing back in the day, folks would have considered Panasonic a soulless factory brand, and not a work of art like a Pinarello or something, hah
Old 08-25-19, 11:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I have a feeling that working with composites take a fairly high level of understanding.
The design process certainly does, but once you have the lay-up sequence and specifics determined, it's mostly a matter of following directions.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-25-19, 01:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
It's not a troll thread. I learned a few things. Thanks, folks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-25-19, 04:10 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

My only point is that Titanium isn't always the miracle metal people portray it. It can be flexy and have a bad initial design. My steel Soma road frame has a stiffer b-bracket. Just the way it goes.
No argument there, my steel Concorde Prelude rides at least as smoothly as my Moots.
The breakages of CF I mentioned above, have that brand you mention in common.
Old 08-25-19, 09:05 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
There isn't a pro rider today that would ride Ti by choice.
Carbon simply out performs it in every way that matters to them.
Doesn't mean that you can't make a great bike from Ti though that will be suited to us lesser cyclists.
Old 08-25-19, 09:20 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
There isn't a pro rider today that would ride Ti by choice.
Carbon simply out performs it in every way that matters to them.
Doesn't mean that you can't make a great bike from Ti though that will be suited to us lesser cyclists.
I wouldn't say lesser cyclists - I'm sure some pros would appreciate the ride qualities of a titanium bike, just probably not in a race setting.
Old 08-25-19, 09:34 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by aliasfox
I wouldn't say lesser cyclists - I'm sure some pros would appreciate the ride qualities of a titanium bike, just probably not in a race setting.
Well especially when they don't have to pay for their bikes.
I am sure I read that a number of ex-Pro's do ride Ti bikes (post racing) and Cadel Evans trained on a titanium Baum while riding for Canyon, while they built him a custom CF frame that fit him better.
Old 08-25-19, 10:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,880 Times in 1,645 Posts
Andy Hampsten was quoted in the 1980s as saying that the only thing scarier than descending on his titanium bike was climbing on his steel bike. But that was before aluminum bikes and then CF bikes moved the goalposts.
Old 08-25-19, 10:44 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Andy Hampsten was quoted in the 1980s as saying that the only thing scarier than descending on his titanium bike was climbing on his steel bike. But that was before aluminum bikes and then CF bikes moved the goalposts.
Serotta must have made some sh1t bikes back in the 80's then.
Old 08-26-19, 12:07 AM
sheddle

yeah, shockingly racers might not want a dedicated purpose-built racing bike when they're retired and not racing

like, I'm certain that titanium bikes are great and all, but I can never get past the "there's a Taiwanese conspiracy to prevent every team from riding Moots Vamoots frames in every race" stuff. the bikes a team uses when they want to win a stage race are not the same bikes someone would use if they want to have a nice century in the countryside lol.
Old 08-26-19, 01:08 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Serotta must have made some sh1t bikes back in the 80's then.
I thought Andy rode Land Sharks.
Old 08-26-19, 01:13 AM
sumgy

I thought Andy rode Land Sharks.
Given how bad his bikes apparently were, maybe the team slipped him a real Huffy?
Old 08-26-19, 02:33 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Judging by the opinions in this thread the Chinese carbon marketing hype machine has really made people believe that carbon road bikes are some how faster than Ti road bikes...it just goes to show the sheer lack of knowledge in this thread and by BF posters in general.
Likes For MyTi:
Old 08-26-19, 05:49 AM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Judging by the opinions in this thread the Chinese carbon marketing hype machine has really made people believe that carbon road bikes are some how faster than Ti road bikes...it just goes to show the sheer lack of knowledge in this thread and by BF posters in general.
So carbon bikes can be made lighter, more aero, and stiffer that Ti.
Please explain how this does not make for a faster bike?
Old 08-26-19, 05:52 AM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, 1/2 vertical crack right alongside the cable stops on the downtube, parallel to the tube. Baffling place for a crack, never laid over, never crashed. The story was the original paint flaked off after about 2 years of use. Trek - who now owned Lemond, warrantied the frame and re-painted and having originally sold me this frame for $850 as a warranty replacement for a cracked Klein. A year later and the 2nd paint job was flaking off, so seemingly Trek was unaware that titanium requires some special work to keep paint on a titanium and refused to warranty a 2nd time. I then had it painted locally which lasted longer than Trek's version. Crack then developed and Trek refused to warranty as I had it painted not by Trek.

My brother in law has cracked 2 Lemonds, the first at the bottom bracket and, what was the replacement for the first on the downtube near the water bottle bosses. Trek refused to cover the second frame since they no longer deal Lemond so he picked up a Seven. Those Trek Lemonds seemed to be failure prone.
Old 08-26-19, 12:36 PM
kydeadhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I'm pretty sure his quote was about descending on a carbon bike being almost as scary as climbing without a carbon bike, this was when he was riding for La Vie Claire on the early LOOK frames. Since he's retired he seems to prefer Ti and steel bikes made by some small builder named Hampsten I believe...

Last edited by kydeadhead; 08-26-19 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For kydeadhead:
Old 08-26-19, 12:48 PM
sheddle

Originally Posted by kydeadhead
I'm pretty sure his quote was about descending on a carbon bike being almost as scary as climbing without a carbon bike, this was when he was riding for La Vie Claire on the early LOOK frames. Since he's retired he seems to prefer Ti and steel bikes made by some small builder named Hampsten I believe...
Sadly the Hampsten frame building concern has succumbed to the evil Taiwanese plastic marketing machine.

And finally Squadra, which features custom carbon tube-to-tube frames made right here at HampCo Seattle. Squadra has the stiffness and light weight of an aluminum frame; the plush ride of our favorite steel frames; and the strength and bomb-proof feel of titanium.
Old 08-26-19, 07:44 PM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Titanium's dirty little secret

Back in 1999, titanium's heyday, Trek rebadged a Litespeed Blade-4 for Lance to ride during time trials at the Tour. Well, everyone knows Trek never made a titanium bike, so the howls and jeers that came from the streets of the massive crowds watching him that day was mistook by Lance as applauds, and propelled him on to victory. When told the noise was mockery, the shame put upon Lance and the titanium bike industry was irrevocable.
Likes For NeilBurt:
Old 08-26-19, 08:14 PM
big john

Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
just to split the difference, here's an amazing looking Japanese titanium bike that a shop near me has for sale for $2000

guessing back in the day, folks would have considered Panasonic a soulless factory brand, and not a work of art like a Pinarello or something, hah
No, Japanese steel frames were highly regarded back then (early 90s) and there were some true artisan Japanese framebuilders.

Pass on the aluminum fork, however.
Old 08-26-19, 08:18 PM
big john

No argument there, my steel Concorde Prelude rides at least as smoothly as my Moots.
The breakages of CF I mentioned above, have that brand you mention in common.
My Seven Axiom Race is about as stiff as a CAAD5 I used to have, just brutal and jarring on rough pavement. My steel Gunnar is a soft ride by comparison.
Old 08-26-19, 08:25 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by big john
My Seven Axiom Race is about as stiff as a CAAD5 I used to have, just brutal and jarring on rough pavement. My steel Gunnar is a soft ride by comparison.
I had a Colnago Master that was a jarring ride like that.
Old 08-26-19, 08:36 PM
big john

I had a Colnago Master that was a jarring ride like that.
The stiffest bike I ever had was a Tesch s22. Oversize heavy gauge steel frame and fork. Perfect for a 220 pound sprinter-type rider but magnified every little crack in the road.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-27-19, 01:57 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
...people believe that carbon road bikes are some how faster than Ti road bikes...it just goes to show the sheer lack of knowledge in this thread and by BF posters in general.
...Aaand there's another three pages, folks
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-28-19, 09:16 PM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I have heard 7 Cycles is pretty reasonable. I don’t know much about their frames.

Seven Cycles | Custom-Built Carbon, Titanium and Steel Bicycle Frames
I have a Seven Axiom SL titanium bike:

It's the most beautiful thing ever. I'm going to be buried with it.
Likes For fuji_owner:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.