Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

40 miles and 5 incidents......

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

40 miles and 5 incidents......

Old 08-22-08, 09:46 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Romans8:28
Not Charlotte, Raleigh/Cary/Chapel Hill
That's where I live. I've been riding road for three years. I ride in Wake and Lee counties crossing into Chatham county briefly. I've not had any of the problems you listed except for the dogs and that has been a real problem. I'm not saying I'll never run into a nut case driver, but I know some of the roads travelled in the stories you've listed. There's no way I would ride them. As an example, Old US 1 is a death trap waiting to happen. I ride it in a car or van every day, never on a bike. Cars ride a narrow, rural road, that has small hills that hide a road bike, with a 55MPH speed limit. As a car comes over a hill, they realize there's a bike ahead. They have to calculate getting around the bike while not hitting the oncoming traffic. And now, there's construction along 5 miles of the road. It's crazy, but the road bikes are out there tempting fate. Amazing, no one has been killed. As for Capitol Blvd. I refuse to ride a heavily travelled four lane highway (sometimes eight lanes).
I carefully map out my routes to avoid heavy traffic and, where possible, travel on back roads. I can't recall a single incident with a car. I have had numerous locals wave to me and say "Good Morning" as I ride by.
I sincerly hope you have better rides in the future.
Old 08-22-08, 09:52 PM
thirtyminbreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a "nice" ride today, I thought I would share with you folks:

In the span of my favorite 40 mile loop, I had 5 memorable incidents.

1. A guy in a late model duel axle Ford pickup deliberately misses me by mere inches at 70+ MPH on a bridge, nice and wide, lots of room and no oncoming traffic. Saw him swerve over to me in my mirror..... how nice

2. Had a guy in an old 197ish datsun pickup pull up along side me and cuss me out and threaten me for "being in the road"..... said I deserve to die for being a dumba**

3. Had someone trying to pass me in a car with oncoming traffic. The car coming toward us decided to steer their car to the middle of the road to make it deliberately tighter than it was already going to be, all the while blowing their horn non-stop

4. Had a bull terrier run into the road perpendicular to me and attempt to bit/attack..... with the owners watched from their front yard. I swerved left (not on purpose) but to keep from being crashed by the dog. An oncoming SUV had to lock up their brakes and swerve into the other lane (where I had previously been) to avoid hitting me head on.

5. While I was on the side of the road lecturing the dog owners about keeping their animals under control, a logging truck came along and purposely gave me zero room as he passed at a high rate of speed.

Can't wait to ride tomorrow............. LOL
I am going to roll a joint and mail it to you. You deserve it after all that ****.
Old 08-22-08, 10:31 PM
Snow_canuck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1. A guy in a late model duel axle Ford pickup deliberately misses me by mere inches at 70+ MPH on a bridge, nice and wide, lots of room and no oncoming traffic. Saw him swerve over to me in my mirror..... how nice

He is a BF member, he saw your mirror and thought "Damn Freds, take him out"

2. Had a guy in an old 197ish datsun pickup pull up along side me and cuss me out and threaten me for"being in the road"..... said I deserve to die for being a dumba**

He was in a hurry to a Star Trek convention with his Mom.

3. Had someone trying to pass me in a car with oncoming traffic. The car coming toward us decided to steer their car to the middle of the road to make it deliberately tighter than it was already going to be, all the while blowing their horn non-stop

Well, steers are large and wide, they need room. Don't insult them.

4. Had a bull terrier run into the road perpendicular to me and attempt to bit/attack..... with the owners watched from their front yard. I swerved left (not on purpose) but to keep from being crashed by the dog. An oncoming SUV had to lock up their brakes and swerve into the other lane (where I had previously been) to avoid hitting me head on.

That's what brakes are for, try them one day.

5. While I was on the side of the road lecturing the dog owners about keeping their animals under control, a logging truck came along and purposely gave me zero room as he passed at a high rate of speed.

Again, Star Trek. Or shower time at the local truck stop

Can't wait to ride tomorrow............. LOL

rofl, yeah amigo yo también.
Old 08-22-08, 10:38 PM
mmerner
okay maybe not.

Bikes: oh a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Answers 1-5: Ride farther out in to the lane.
Old 08-23-08, 12:20 AM
collegeskier

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowGray
Just have it in big letters:
POILCE
I was riding over a year ago behind two bicycle police in a downtown region. Guy behind me yelled out the window to get off the road to me and the cyclist (police) in front of me. I wanted to just tell the guy he was a GIANT idiot, but nothing happened. In the downtown I could usually beat a car up the road anyways.
Old 08-23-08, 06:25 AM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Romans8:28;7318900]Central North Carolina.......

Then get a Skynyrd jersey, problem solved. Don't laugh, it really helps in some areas.