Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel removal tool too large?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 12:41 PM
struby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have an older diamondback hybrid bike with a shimano freewheel. The rear rim got bent and I found a new one for fairly cheap. I had a park tools FR-5 freewheel removal tool I had never used. It said it works with shimano. It looks like it would work, but when I try to put the tool in the freewheel, it just seems like it is juuuuust sliiightly too large. Is there a smaller shimano tool? This is the only tool I have, but a bike shop said all I needed was the shimano key to remove it.

I tried to use the tool on another freewheel, but I might have damaged it a little trying to get it into the initial freewheel too aggressively, so I'm not sure if it would have fit.

Thanks
Old 01-23-14, 12:52 PM
JOHNinIL

Bikes: 70's Raleigh, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 2007 Giant Boulder SE, no longer have 1969 Schwinn Varsity, 1997 Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at Park Tool's website https://www.parktool.com/category/freewheel-cassette and see if there's another tool on this page that can help.
Old 01-23-14, 12:57 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Looks like the FR-5 is a cassette lock ring tool. Do you have a cassette or a freewheel?
Old 01-23-14, 12:58 PM
Crescent Cycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ewheel-removal shows which interfaces tools are meant for. FR-5 is not for freewheels, it is for cassettes, and 23.4mm in diameter. Shimano freewheels are 23mm in diameter. I ran into the same problem and ended up using a Campy lockring/bb tool (22.8mm)
Old 01-23-14, 01:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5782 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Park doesn't make the right tool. Older Shimano freewheels take a remover of significantly smaller diameter. The giveaway si looking straight don the axle. If the freewheel's spline diameter is as small or smaller than the axle locknut. That means the modern thin wall removers that fit between the axle and freewheel can't work, and you need to start by removing the locknut to access the freewheel, then using one of these Note the thick wall, and 10.5m ID which clears the axle but not the cones or locknuts.

BTW- these are had to find and can be pricey, so your best bet might be to bring the wheel in and let a shop or co-op remove the freewheel for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shimano remover (old).jpg (1.7 KB, 347 views)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-23-14, 01:55 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Guessing you need an FR-1. Have not run into any DBs (and I've dealt with a lot of older DBs) with the earlier freewheel style that takes the tool FB shows.
Old 01-23-14, 02:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by CACycling
Guessing you need an FR-1. Have not run into any DBs (and I've dealt with a lot of older DBs) with the earlier freewheel style that takes the tool FB shows.
Yes, rereading the reference to the "just slightly too small" points to the FR-1.

Before spending more money the OP can get a definitive answer by rolling a sheet of paper into a tube just big enough to slide over the locknut and cone. If it slips into the freewheel than he probably needs an FR-1. OTOH- if there's no way it can slip into the F/W, then he needs the old tool.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-23-14, 02:16 PM
struby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah thank you everyone, that should solve my problem. I'm going to try the FR-1 or whatever cheap knockoff I come across. Luckly, I only spend $1.24 at a warehouse and dent store for the FR-5. I know the difference between and cassette and a freewheel and yet, I read right over like there is none.

Thanks again everyone, in my limited experience with the board, you are a very helpful community.
Old 01-23-14, 02:26 PM
struby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will I also need one of those tools with the piece of chain hanging off of it?
Old 01-23-14, 02:27 PM
Crescent Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be fine without a chain whip
Old 01-23-14, 02:36 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
A vice bolted to an immovable object may also be useful for freewheel removal...
Old 01-23-14, 02:40 PM
Crescent Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In case it isn't obvious, the proper way to use a vice with a freewheel remover too is to put the flats of the tool in the vice and spin the wheel which gives you lots of torque for the most stubborn freewheels. Don't try clamping down any part of the wheel.
Old 01-23-14, 02:53 PM
struby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unfortunately there are no immovable objects in my storage locker where I work on bikes, but I have a grip exerciser at home, so I will get some reps in by the time my new tool comes in the mail haha

I can go to a vice if needed though

is the chain tool just for extremely stubborn jobs or is there a separate purpose for that?

Thanks again everyone
Old 01-23-14, 03:02 PM
Crescent Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure chainwhips really serve any practical purpose for these freewheels. They're needed for cassettes, and before cassettes were invented, they were used for fixed cogs.
Old 01-23-14, 03:13 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My method is to jam the wheel against the wall and the floor perpendicular to both, install the freewheel tool (preferably held in place with the skewer but not tight), put a 12" crescent on it and give the end of the crescent a few whacks with a rubber mallet while holding the wheel tight against the wall/floor. Once you break it free, remove the skewer and spin it off. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 01-23-14, 04:55 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Not everyone has one, but a 15" crescent wrench will give you the same amount of leverage as using the wheel in a vise.
Old 01-23-14, 06:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Crescent Cycle
I'm not sure chainwhips really serve any practical purpose for these freewheels. They're needed for cassettes, and before cassettes were invented, they were used for fixed cogs.
Chain whips are also used to remove the individual cogs from a freewheel, e.g. to build a custom ratio, but you need to secure the freewheel in a freewheel vice.
Old 01-23-14, 07:44 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Not everyone has one, but a 15" crescent wrench will give you the same amount of leverage as using the wheel in a vise.
Or a long pipe fitted over the wrench handle

M.
Old 01-23-14, 08:35 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Would it be bad to hit the wrench with hammer? When I've had to remove stubborn freewheels, I'd smack the end of the wrench with a deadblow mallet.
Old 01-23-14, 08:38 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by jsdavis
Would it be bad to hit the wrench with hammer? When I've had to remove stubborn freewheels, I'd smack the end of the wrench with a deadblow mallet.
If it works for you then it's OK. However the hub isn't dollied very rigidly, so you don't tend to get the full energy of the hammer working for you. I've always done best with a long hard pull.

Old 01-23-14, 08:53 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Or a long pipe fitted over the wrench handle

M.
Actually, a 1" box end wrench or (better yet), a 1" six point socket with a breaker bar (for Park pullers) is less likely to slip off the puller tool when you try to loosen the freewheel. At least, if you aren't using the method where the tool is clamped into a bench vice, and the wheel is turned.
Old 01-23-14, 09:33 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I've had good luck with the pipe (PVC) being of close diameter with an angle allowing some of the pipe to overlap the head of the tool.

Then again, I was using freely scrounged PVC broken at an irregular angle...

M.
Old 01-23-14, 11:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Park doesn't make the right tool. Older Shimano freewheels take a remover of significantly smaller diameter. The giveaway si looking straight don the axle. If the freewheel's spline diameter is as small or smaller than the axle locknut. That means the modern thin wall removers that fit between the axle and freewheel can't work, and you need to start by removing the locknut to access the freewheel, then using one of these Note the thick wall, and 10.5m ID which clears the axle but not the cones or locknuts.

BTW- these are had to find and can be pricey, so your best bet might be to bring the wheel in and let a shop or co-op remove the freewheel for you.
Ummm... Shimano freewheels that required the FR-1-style tool went away in the early '80's. After that, they all used the FR-5-style. I'm pretty sure that WSI didn't start selling Diamond Back mountain bikes until the mid '80's. and "hybrids" didn't show up until the early '90's or so.

I'm going to bet on either a slightly bent axle or a gunked-up tool cavity are causing the problem.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-23-14, 11:51 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
This peaked my interest so went out to the garage. I have a Shimano TL-FW80 and just to eyeball it, it looked the same as a Park FR-5, but when I tried on a FW, the Park is a no-go while the TL-FW80 fit like a glove. BTW, that FW is probably 95-00 vintage. My earlier FWs had the 2 or 4 prong style.

scott s.

Last edited by scott967; 01-23-14 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 07:46 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I've never used a vise, since my 1" combination wrench has always done the job (although I had to relieve the "notches" a bit with a triange shaped file to fit the Park removal tools) but a vise would allow one to use 2 hands, spaced apart to help keep the torque "centered".
A solidly mounted vise would be better than a 3rd hand IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.