Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mechanical speedometer/odometer. Recommendations?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 08:49 AM
CompleteStreets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a decent quality mechanical bicycle speedometer/odometer? I'd like to keep track of my total mileage without having to fuss with apps and electronics, etc.

Requirements:

1. Mileage should have a minimum of four digits (preferably five digits).
2. Compatible with a bike with quick release wheels (I've read that some mechanical odometers don't work with QR-wheeled bikes; no idea why).
3. Cannot be reset to zero. I'm only interested in total mileage.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-14, 11:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mechanical? Sorry, You're 50 years too late , just get a battery operated, wired one. the basic bike computer is a simple thing .

you tell it how big you wheel is, and with the spoke magnet pulse , it counts the number of times it goes around ,
and multiplies that count by the circumference of the wheel .

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-27-14 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 12:20 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Agreed. There is no such thing today as a quality mechanical speedometer/odometer. Even when they were around they usually wouldn't have gone well with QR wheels... but I was always partial to the odometers that hooked to the axle and had the little tab that was mounted to a spoke that would advance the odometer a partial turn for each revolution of the wheel. I think that type would be the least cumbersome on a QR wheel if you can find one.

If cost is an issue, I think the wired ones at *-mart are under $15.

Edit... I guess someone still makes the old style.

Here is one for a 24/26 inch wheel: https://www.treatland.tv/CEV-velomet...meter-7075.htm

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-27-14, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

A bike computer battery lasts about a year , total miles when you replace the battery it goes to zero,

so want to keep a long history of total miles? write it down to keep adding your total miles over several years ..
Old 05-27-14, 01:24 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Some computers (all Sigma models I believe) allow you to set total mileage manually so with little effort you can keep track of total miles over battery changes.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Likes For Juha:
Old 05-27-14, 01:42 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have what may be the cheapest, wireless bike computer made. It cost me 5.99 with free shipping about 5 years ago. It is still being sold, but they've jacked the price way up to 7.99. Even this cheapie allows you to re-set the odometer to whatever mileage you want.
Old 05-27-14, 05:57 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

Edit... I guess someone still makes the old style.

Here is one for a 24/26 inch wheel: https://www.treatland.tv/CEV-velomet...meter-7075.htm
Ahhhh! You really had my hopes up … until I saw that the mileage is only kept to THREE digits (I'm guessing the red digit is for tenths of a mile). Would it have really killed them to make it four or five digits?

About eight years ago I tried out a digital odometer. After about a year the computer snapped off from its cheap-o plastic bracket. I'm really not a fan of having to toy with resetting total mileage each time the battery dies, etc. All I want is the equivalent of what a car has. No need for manual calculations or writing crap down on paper.
Old 05-27-14, 06:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Some of the newest el-cheapo computers costing under $10 have a built in warning when the battery is getting low. It is very simple to reprogram the computer after you put a new battery in it and reset the cumulative mileage to the previous reading. I just looked at them today on a China site called banggood Online Shopping for Cool Gadgets, RC helicopter & Quadcopter, Mobile phone, Fashion at Banggood.com. Find the same computer on eBay for a couple bucks more and you can have it delivered in a couple days rather than three weeks for stuff ordered from China. The one I ordered in the past will keep mileage up to 9999.9 before resetting to 0.
Old 05-27-14, 06:34 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Just use Strava
Old 05-27-14, 07:24 PM
Rogan

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a bike computer that does not lose mileage or tire size when the battery dies. I have a Cateye that holds mileage and tire size when changing the battery. It takes two or three minutes once a year to reset the clock when the battery dies.
Old 05-28-14, 04:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by CompleteStreets
Can anyone recommend a decent quality mechanical bicycle speedometer/odometer?...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Mechanical? Sorry, You're 50 years too late…

Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Agreed. There is no such thing today as a quality mechanical speedometer/odometer. Even when they were around they usually wouldn't have gone well with QR wheels... but I was always partial to the odometers that hooked to the axle and had the little tab that was mounted to a spoke that would advance the odometer a partial turn for each revolution of the wheel. I think that type would be the least cumbersome on a QR wheel if you can find one…
Early in my adult cycling career in the 1970’s mechanical odometers were the only devices around. The most high tech innovation I knew of was by a nuclear engineer who fashioned a hard plastic striker to silence the constant “click…click…click…”
Old 05-28-14, 06:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

The most high tech innovation I knew of was by a nuclear engineer who fashioned a hard plastic striker
to silence the constant “click…click…click''…
what no Polonium emitter and radiation detector coupling for the replacement trigger?
'
Old 05-28-14, 09:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
what no Polonium emitter and radiation detector coupling for the replacement trigger?
'
Actually he was a grad student and probably couldn't afford it, and couldn't get away with pilfering them from the lab.
Old 05-28-14, 10:19 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Here's one: Mechanical Bicycle Odometer for 20" Lot of 5 New | eBay

You'd have to work out a correction for the actual wheel circumference for larger wheels.

Personally, I think an inexpensive wired cyclometer is the way to go.
Old 05-28-14, 10:20 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Early in my adult cycling career in the 1970’s mechanical odometers were the only devices around. The most high tech innovation I knew of was by a nuclear engineer who fashioned a hard plastic striker to silence the constant “click…click…click…”
Yeah, I forgot about the continual clicking. Of course, as with any other repetitive or constant sound, I am pretty good at ignoring it and forgetting it is even there... unless something draws my attention to it, then it drives me nuts for a few minutes. At least they didn't impose a constant drag like the speedometers of that era did... and my guess is that they were more accurate.

In my wanderings yesterday, I did see someone selling an NOS French unit in kilometers, with a separate trip odometer along with the total...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-28-14, 03:05 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I give up. Maybe I'll check back on ebay in a few months. BTW the main reason I don't want an electronic odometer is because I know it'll get stolen or vandalized eventually. No, I'm not willing to attach and detach a silly odometer every time I lock my bike up, just as I would never consider doing this for a car odometer. Even if I could prevent an electronic unit from being stolen I don't want to fuss with batteries and resetting the mileage when the batteries die.
Old 05-29-14, 05:05 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
None of the old cyclometers work well with QR wheels. The hub odometers that would are rare as hen's teeth these days. I seem to recall a roller drive odometer but again, it must be pretty rare these days.
Old 05-29-14, 06:37 AM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mos6502
None of the old cyclometers work well with QR wheels. The hub odometers that would are rare as hen's teeth these days. I seem to recall a roller drive odometer but again, it must be pretty rare these days.
My bike originally came with Quick Release wheels. I didn't mention it above, but I've since replaced the QR with Onguard locking skewers. Does the typical mechanical odometer work with my locking skewer setup? Thanks!
Old 05-29-14, 09:20 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
BTW the main reason I don't want an electronic odometer is because I know it'll get stolen or vandalized eventually. No, I'm not willing to attach and detach a silly odometer every time I lock my bike up...
With a wireless cyclometer or phone app, you can leave it in your pocket or bag and not attach it to the bike. A GPS phone app or cyclometer requires nothing on the bike.
Old 05-29-14, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

True a wireless sensor on the bike can possibly in theory send its pulse to your pocket ..

I got a Bike computer a longtime ago for my Touring Bike , it came with the option to mount it on the fork Blade .

so It sits down under the cantilever brake , above the front low pannier rack, largely un seen ..

now just commuting around the area no data is needed to be gathered , so I Dont even buy a battery for the one I have.

Does the typical mechanical odometer work with my locking skewer setup?
given typical is a concept not applicable to something never seen but very-very rarely .

you are asking about the typical Unicorn on Atlantis..

First you have to have any in hand. did you find One?

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-29-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 10:10 AM
Celticgirl

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mechanical speedometer/odometer

I give up. Maybe I'll check back on ebay in a few months. BTW the main reason I don't want an electronic odometer is because I know it'll get stolen or vandalized eventually. No, I'm not willing to attach and detach a silly odometer every time I lock my bike up, just as I would never consider doing this for a car odometer. Even if I could prevent an electronic unit from being stolen I don't want to fuss with batteries and resetting the mileage when the batteries die.
I couldn't agree more, there is nothing wrong with mechanical anything. I think this day and age we are going in the wrong direction; things are becoming too technical. Like the saying goes "Keep it simple stupid"
Old 08-07-19, 11:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Celticgirl
I couldn't agree more, there is nothing wrong with mechanical anything. I think this day and age we are going in the wrong direction; things are becoming too technical. Like the saying goes "Keep it simple stupid"
I'll take my computer controlled washing machine over a washboard and tub.

P.S. You quoted a post from 2014.
Old 08-07-19, 06:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Five years on, the choices of mechanical odometers have likely diminished.
Old 08-07-19, 06:24 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've heard AliExpress is nothing to fear (part of Alibaba)

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/m...eedometer.html
Old 08-08-19, 10:24 AM
Caliper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
BTW the main reason I don't want an electronic odometer is because I know it'll get stolen or vandalized eventually. No, I'm not willing to attach and detach a silly odometer every time I lock my bike up, just as I would never consider doing this for a car odometer. Even if I could prevent an electronic unit from being stolen I don't want to fuss with batteries and resetting the mileage when the batteries die.
You realize that the computer part on most electronic units is designed to be quickly detached from the bike? 1/4 turn to remove and you can slip it in your pocket. The only part that stays on the bike is a plastic mount for the display, the magnet on the wheel and the sensor on the fork blade.

What makes you think that a mechanical part will be any less likely to be stolen or vandalized?

Yes, I'm a mechanical engineer and love all things mechanical but the modern electronic speedometers are so inexpensive, reliable and lightweight that there's no reason to use mechanical unless you're restoring a vintage bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.