Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbents and bad image

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Recumbents and bad image

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 02:23 PM
ploughberry

Bikes: Trek 3700 mtn bike ('04) Specialized Allez SportTriple road bike ('04)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know very little about recumbent bicycles, and only see them once in a while, but I was wondering, do you get the same power in that position that you can get on a traditional bike? (I have never ridden a recumbent bike.
Old 11-14-04, 09:02 AM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ORBIT
Why have recumbents got such a bad image?
My wife hates me riding mine,infact she will not ride a bike with me if im on the recumbent.
We have had some new people next door.I went out on my recumbent,and when my wife found out the first thing she said was "No body saw you did they"?
Ill have to admitt,ive been called the most offensive things when out on my recumbent,even had people try to push me off.
It seems to attract the low life like a magic beacon.My wife worries
about this.
Even a good freind of mine said"You have got some bottle riding THAT?.
Recumbents are great but they really do need a image boost.
Even a recumbent rider was asked on another forum what it was like riding a recumbent and he said"Its like riding a fat woman,
lots of fun,but you would not like to have your mates seeing you do it."
I know the solution to your problem: get a new wife!!
Old 11-16-04, 09:45 AM
tom o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife hates me riding mine,infact she will not ride a bike with me if im on the recumbent.
We have had some new people next door.I went out on my recumbent,and when my wife found out the first thing she said was "No body saw you did they"?
Ill have to admitt,ive been called the most offensive things when out on my recumbent,even had people try to push me off.
..."You have got some bottle riding THAT?"...
Wait a minute, I know what the problem might be...are you riding naked?

he he he
Old 11-16-04, 09:57 AM
phatjoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have gotten almost nothing but positive comments from people in the community. The one sad exception is the guy at my church (he and his family were biking to and from, as I was) who seemed vaguely irked about my Burley Canto. The pre-teen kids told me they liked my cool bike. Dad frowned and chimed in, "it's not a real bike." Sure it is, I replied with a smile, it's just configured differently from yours. "But it's not a real bike. It's something else . . . a trike or something." No, I explained, still smiling, it has two wheels, so it's a bi-cycle. He had no response to that, and his friendly wife changed the subject to bike-commuting in general.

The neighborhood guys my age think my bent is cool, and some have said they want to get one themselves. Their wives, on the other hand, refer to my bent as "that funny-looking bike." So does my mother-in-law. The neighbor girls call it the "old-man bike." I'm not young and trim, so I probably don't look very cool on it. I try not to care. I enjoy running errands on my bent, and I try to put in a 15-mile ride every day when it's above 35 degrees.
Old 11-16-04, 12:47 PM
bentcruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ignorance.
Old 11-16-04, 03:52 PM
Glasspacker
Epitome of Mediocrity

Bikes: Rans V2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentcruiser
Ignorance.
Exactly. End of thread.
Old 11-16-04, 05:53 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10979 Post(s)
Liked 4,642 Times in 2,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Glasspacker
Exactly. End of thread.
Seconded.

Old 11-16-04, 07:43 PM
tom o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in court today and a young man had been carjacked by a hitchhiker he picked up. The guy beat him up, stole his car, then drove around getting parking tickets and running redlights.

Makes a few stupid comments look less threatening. Still irritating but less important.
Old 11-17-04, 06:23 AM
bruceha_2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ploughberry
I know very little about recumbent bicycles, and only see them once in a while, but I was wondering, do you get the same power in that position that you can get on a traditional bike? (I have never ridden a recumbent bike.
There are a lot of different styles of recumbants so 'that position' is hard to answer. :-) We got my wife an EZ-1 SC Lite this past summer. Her RA made riding a regular bike uncomfortable. An EZ-3 AX Trike with a VERY slightly higher position on the pedals (compared to the EZ-1 SC) hurt her hips. The SC-1 is a bit more like a 'regular' bike than the short wheelbase (SWB) recumbants you might see that have the pedals much higher and forward of the front wheel.

I have ridden it a couple of times. It is MUCH easier on my knees, no pressure on my wrists, big comfy seat. :-) I took the kids down the bike path (20" and 24" bikes, with gears, the SC-1 has a 20" rear and 16" front). I coasted more than pedaled, out and back. The 100 PSI tires have seemingly no rolling resistance. There were a lot of times I had to brake while coasting so as to stay behind the girls. It isn't as fast up a hill as you can do standing on the pedals of a regular bike. I HAVE to stand on the pedals of my 10 speed or my knees die. On the recumbant, you have to learn not to push hard on the pedals, but turn them. It is a bizarre thing to describe, you have to try it. If you feel pressure on your knees, you aren't doing it right. :-) I think it is sometimes refered to as 'spinning'.
EZ-1 web site

Bruce
Old 11-17-04, 06:56 AM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thuoght the thread ended?
Old 11-21-04, 04:55 PM
bent3wheeler
ez3 usx

Bikes: ez3 usx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all i have recieved are positive comments about my ez3 usx.if i ever do get harassed i'll just tell them "what do you expect i got hit in the head"i have no balance.i don't care if someone thinks i look funny on my bike pulling a trailer with my dog in it.it's just a good thing my dog doesn't mind riding with 3 20 amp hour batterys.happy trails and keep dodging those squirrels!!!
Old 11-21-04, 09:39 PM
Lucky13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>In another shop across town they had a little better attitude toward bents. The mechanic/salesman was pretty knowledgeable about the two brands of recumbents they sold. However, he wanted to know what kind of injuries I had that was forcing me to consider recumbents>>

I ride a recumbent only out of necessity. Mild to moderate wrist problems forced me to abandon my DF bicycle...for fear of causing long term damage. (Too many years of grinding away on boats.)

Frankly, I consider the entire recumbent experience to be somewhat over-rated. In my case, a 'bent was, of course, a solution. But I'm not at all surprised that the *platform* still resides in the realm of a niche product.
Old 11-22-04, 08:15 AM
toybox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky13
Frankly, I consider the entire recumbent experience to be somewhat over-rated. In my case, a 'bent was, of course, a solution. But I'm not at all surprised that the *platform* still resides in the realm of a niche product.
I'm just curious about your recumbent experience, could you elaborate?
Old 11-22-04, 04:41 PM
Glasspacker
Epitome of Mediocrity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Underrated" is more appropriate. With bents you can have comfort, speed, looks, aerodynamics, torque against the seat, etc....whatever you want with a wide variety of styles. Is all this available with DFs?

Except for the fact that they are banned from most official races, price and transportation logistics likely play a part in the "niche" position it's in.
Old 11-22-04, 04:52 PM
dfulton
hmBldr

Bikes: Home Built recycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Glasspacker, totally underrated. I just watched a video of last years "Ride the Rockies", 5 day tour around the Colorado western slope, beautiful but tough riding. They had a camera at the top of the pass on the first day, all the DF riders look miserable, the only guy smiling is riding a Rans Rocket. At the end of the 2nd day, all the DF riders are heading for the massage tent, the few bent riders are heading for dinner.

Darren
Old 11-23-04, 09:09 PM
Merriwether
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbents are unusual in their appearance, obviously, and are unusual in the quirky-geeky direction, so they're going to attract attention. Most of it is positive. Some of it will be from obnoxious losers with limited imagination. There you are.

I don't have a recumbent anymore, but my touring bike with panniers and a cargo trailer sometimes attracts unwanted attention. If I cared what people thought, I wouldn't roll those things out in the first place.

I don't think this has anything to do with the way he was received, but someone I rode with a few years ago had a recumbent, and believed for a while he was going to pack away everyone else. The thing wasn't as much an improvement over a good road bike as he expected. He was a bit difficult to be around for a while.

Speaking for myself, I started biking for reasons other than wanting to fit in with the race-replica bike club crowd (though I ride with a club sometimes). So, I never sneered at recumbents.

I owned a couple, actually, but I went back to riding my road bike. At the price range I bought the recumbents at their advantages were primarily ergonomic, and not efficiency into the wind. So, they weren't really faster than my road bike, but they had other problems. They didn't accelerate or climb nearly as well. I couldn't hop curbs or maneuver as well as on an upright bike. They were a pain to store, carry in and out, etc. I wasn't riding them enough, so I sold them.

In general, though, I admire the recumbent design. I think the next major bike I will get will be a performance recumbent, kitted out with a fairing and the works.

All bicycles are an elegant solution to the problem of using human power for transportation. Recumbents, though, are a good solution to air resistance during open road riding. It makes sense to avoid throwing all of that energy away if one can avoid it. If the riding isn't a lot of stop and go in traffic, or offroad, or something, the advantages of that aero position are going to be great to ignore. It's fun, too, to recline and just buzz along.

Anyway, what's there to say, really? Recumbents are a different sort of bike design. Whether their riders should be banished or not is the kind of question you leave behind in adolescence, right?
Old 11-25-04, 08:31 AM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said and I third or fourth that motion to end this thread. Ride whatcha got....
Old 11-28-04, 12:16 PM
cycletourist
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have noticed that recumbents seem to be involved in more bike-on-bike accicents than uprights. For example, the last time I rode in RAGBRAI (registers annual great bicycle ride across Iowa) I saw probably twenty or so bike-on-bike collisions where the riders were down. A recumbent was involved in at least half of those accidents. I have noticed the same thing in other large event rides (centuries, MS 150, etc).

A little math (based on my admittedly unscientific observations) shows why this is significant-

* of 15000 bicycles in RAGBRAI maybe 1 percent were recumbents. Maybe even less.

* A recumbent was involved in 10 of the 20 bike-on-bike crashes I saw, meaning that 5 of the 40 bicycles were recumbents. That is - 12.5% of the crashed bikes were recumbents.

* When 1% of the bikes in an event represent 12.5% of downed cyclists that is cause for discussion.

Old 11-28-04, 03:51 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats funny, totally opposite from what I've seen in major events. Never see accidents with recumbents, but plenty of upright riders because they get into big pacelines and somebody f*cks up and down a bunch of them go. Maybe the recumbent riders in Iowa were drinking. This is known to be a big party ride. A heck of a lot easier to carry a 12 pack on a recumbent than an upright.

Are you sure you weren't drinking yourself and mistook mangled up uprights to be recumbents?
Old 11-28-04, 04:48 PM
bentbaggerlen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WHAT? people drink on RAGBRAI?

Say it aint so......
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 11-28-04, 07:11 PM
Glasspacker
Epitome of Mediocrity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
* When 1% of the bikes in an event represent 12.5% of downed cyclists that is cause for discussion.

.[/QUOTE]

So on RAGBRAI, you counted 100 DFs before you saw the next bent? You also kept track of the accidents and what type of bikes were involved, and made calculations? Wow. Do you also remember the fatality, and what bike was involved? A DF. No disrespect intended to any of the family members, but the accident would not have been fatal with a bent. Riders from my group witnessed it.

The large group that stayed at my house (happened to be along the route this year) certainly did not reflect only 1 percent bents, it was much more than that.

I will concede to you that sometimes when a bent is taking off from a crowded rest stop, he/she needs a little space, lateral-wise, to get going, but from what I've seen, the DFs just don't recognize that, which can cause a tumble sometimes. Out on the open road, I really doubt that bents are causing accidents at a rate at which you need to be concerned. They don't need to draft in a pack.
Old 11-29-04, 10:49 AM
cycletourist
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never said "bents were causing accidents". I never even said that bents were dangerous. My only point was (and is) that bents are involved in accidents often enough that it made me notice and start keeping track.

I still want to own a bent (especially for event rides). But before I buy one I want to find out why they are statistically more likely to be involved in bike-on-bike accidents (at least during large events like RAGBRAI). What are the contributing factors in these accidents? Are they ridden by people who simply didn't practice starting/stopping before they took their new bent on a group ride with 15,000 other cyclists? Were they drunk? Are bents less stable at low speed? Are they more likely to veer off course while the rider fiddles with a cell phone or water bottle?

I want to know these things before I buy a bent because that knowledge will, I hope, help me avoid these accidents that I see with other bent riders.
Old 11-29-04, 06:00 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cycletourist
... My only point was (and is) that bents are involved in accidents often enough that it made me notice and start keeping track.
It's because DF riders are too darn slow and don't get out of the way fast enough! Or when they hear you coming, they always have to turn their heads to look at you, which makes them steer right into your bike space! (Helmet mirrors should be mandatory for such riders.)

Originally Posted by Glasspacker
I will concede to you that sometimes when a bent is taking off from a crowded rest stop, he/she needs a little space, lateral-wise, to get going ...
Maybe for a LWB.
Old 11-29-04, 08:01 PM
cycletourist
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forgive my ignorance but what is DF?
Old 11-29-04, 08:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10979 Post(s)
Liked 4,642 Times in 2,131 Posts
Originally Posted by cycletourist
forgive my ignorance but what is DF?
A DF is a Diamond Frame but others call it an A$$-Hatchet, a Wedgie, or an Upwrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.