Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 04-22-16, 06:31 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas View Post
That seems like one of the less controversial items in the list.

Anyway, didn't you read Hamlet?
It is, but it's the one that stood out to me. Olive oil on the skin is something my grandmother used to do, along with taking cod liver oil pills. Nasty.
Old 04-22-16, 07:18 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
On a sort of related note, I just read about how Uber sends special codes with puzzles in them to people taking rides in the Cambridge area near Harvard and MIT, and if you can solve them and prove you can do some coding, they offer you a job. What a neat way to recruit.
i've taken a lot of ubers in cambridge near harvard and mit and have never seen any puzzles...
Old 04-22-16, 07:26 AM
Ygduf
\_(ツ)_/

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
My wife swears by zinc right as she's getting sick, shortens the cold etc.
so does science. zinc in the ****.
Old 04-22-16, 07:55 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In an odd position. I teach at a university and our governor just decided to cut 5% out of funding to higher ed. There's probably a 50/50 chance that includes my job when my current contract runs out in the end of May (being term faculty sucks - all the responsibilities of tenure track but none of the job security). The thing is, I have to interview and sign on students to do research in my lab throughout the summer and for next fall (and have them sign up to take research for credit) while smiling and pretending like my job security is a definite thing and can't tell them otherwise because, if I don't and my contract is renewed, I won't have anyone working for me (earning up independent study credits) and won't get the stuff done that needs to be done so that next year I can convince the merit committee that I've done enough to keep my job (assuming there's money in the budget next year too). So I feel like one of those awful managers in a bank going under in the last recession that was lying to everyone about their job prospects. At least, I know people I can pass all these students off to (where they can probably keep their projects) so they won't be totally screwed if I'm gone.

But yeah it's hard to be motivated to do things like order books, write syllabi, and plan lectures for classes I don't know if I'll be around to teach. I have this sinking feeling that my department chair is waiting until the semester ends next week to let me know what my status is so that I don't just blow off the last few weeks of teaching (and that might be why no one has gotten their merit evaluations that were supposed to come back to us 2 months ago), but it could be that higher administration isn't telling him (or any other chairs) one way or the other for the same reason. You'd think that the fact that the classes I teach bring in 6-8x my salary in tuition (let along my research) would give me a little security, but those folks with tenure who only teach 12 students a year can't be let go, so it's those of us who do the bulk of the teaching who are expendable. My big fear is that they're waiting until the last possible moment to let us know so it'll be too late for us to get jobs elsewhere and then, when we are truly desperate, they can hire us back as part time adjuncts at half salary and no benefits to teach the same classes.
Been there, done that. I've worked in higher ed for over 20 years, six years ago the department I (then) worked for was on the chopping block. It was a very rough time for me.

But my experience with higher ed administrators is that the lack of a performance evaluation may not be anything other than your boss just believes those evaluations are insignificant and not worth his time to do.

Edited to add: Take your angst and frustration out on your bike. It was my best therapy during those couple of years.

Last edited by kensuf; 04-22-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 09:44 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
Been there, done that. I've worked in higher ed for over 20 years, six years ago the department I (then) worked for was on the chopping block. It was a very rough time for me.

But my experience with higher ed administrators is that the lack of a performance evaluation may not be anything other than your boss just believes those evaluations are insignificant and not worth his time to do.

Edited to add: Take your angst and frustration out on your bike. It was my best therapy during those couple of years.
Good points all around. The evaluation (which would be important for raises - not happening this year even for cost of living) might influence whether or not the dean signed off on my contract for the next year, but apparently my annual work plan for next year is being held up by a fight between my chair and the dean as he wants me to stay at 60% teaching and 30% research as I was hired on a tenure track funding line with the expectation that if I did well I would eventually transition over to tenure track (so I need research to do that - plus if I can publish and bring in grant money, that's good for the department, the college and the university), while the dean wants me at 90% teaching because she doesn't see the value in me doing research. I guess the good news about them fighting over what they want me to do is that it means that they both want me to be working here next year - just doing different things. I was up all night last night writing a grant to fund a class that would have 24 students in the lab doing research for my wife and my projects while learning about critical thinking and the scientific method. If I can get that, maybe I can slightly increase my teaching load temporarily and still get research done so that I can get tenure track and some security. Doesn't mean I still won't be polishing my teaching statement and CV over the summer and starting to look for good fits, but the panic level will go down a little bit. As our chair told my wife, our department brings in something like 15% of the entire university's tuition dollars (and over a third of our college's), so we are a bit of the 800 lb gorilla and have a bit of protection. On the other hand, he's retiring in a year, so I lose some of my protection then.

As far as cycling to relieve stress - well lets just say I chose a ****ty time to tear the bike down for a major overhaul right before end of semester grading and stuff hit and I ran out of time to finish. I'm sure if I was able to ride, my freak out levels would have been a bit more manageable. Once my grades are turned in on Tuesday, I'm rebuilding and getting some saddle time in.
Old 04-22-16, 09:50 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 52 Posts
Loan amortization is weird. I have a 72 month, 5.5% car loan that has about 18 months and $5000 left on it or so. I have some spare money so I was seeing if it was worth paying off early. I could save a whopping $120 or so if I paid it off right now. The effective interest rate towards the end of the loan is more like 1.5%, instead of 5.5%. The payments at the end are all principal, almost no interest accrues at the end of a loan, which I never really thought about much.
Old 04-23-16, 12:17 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i want to buy a tesla 3.... in a few years after it comes out, when people are using it, and maybe there'll be 2nd hand deals... by which time, hopefully they'll start allowing direct sales in texas....
Old 04-23-16, 12:38 PM
ridethecliche
Village Idiot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finished swapping the front/rear end of my motorcycle a couple of days ago. Been working on it for ages and it feels awesome to finally have it done. Bike rides fantastic now.

Can't wait to get back on the bicycle too. It's going to suck so much. SOOOOOOO SLOWWWWW.

Oh got the subaru back too. Took like 2200. Needed head gasket, new radiator, and some engine adjustment (valves or such?). Drives so much better now it's incredible.
Old 04-23-16, 01:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 336 Posts
My boss, with whom I've had a great relationship, is retiring as of 6/30. As her term winds down, it's becoming more evident how much stupid political BS she's absorbed and deflected from our group. I may have to polish up my resume and linkedin page myself...
Old 04-23-16, 01:23 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: Parlee,BMC,Specialized and Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
^ I hear you... mine retired about 6 months ago, but the new one is pretty good too so I got lucky there. Industry is shrinking every year though, might need a change myself. Doubting it can go 15-20y more.
Old 04-23-16, 01:40 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
i want to buy a tesla 3.... in a few years after it comes out, when people are using it, and maybe there'll be 2nd hand deals... by which time, hopefully they'll start allowing direct sales in texas....
I hear you. I'd love to have one and some solar cells to power it.
Old 04-23-16, 02:14 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hear you. I'd love to have one and some solar cells to power it.
the tesla charging stations all use solar power. I don't know the logistics, but it seems like marketing hype to me.. using solar panels to charge a car is slooooow. They have batteries, to store them, but there's a limit where the solar panels won't be able to keep up. So there has to be a set number of cars per day (depending on season) that one charging station can support. And as demand for electric cars rise, there's only so much the panels can provide before they have to draw from the grid. In addition, the super chargers rely on super high amperage to charge the li ion batteries fast. I'm curious to know what strategies they use to mitigate the loss of cyclability under such high currents.

also, with the concurrent construction of their huge battery factory, the price for li ion should be tanking in the coming years, which hopefully also has implications for other forms of electric transportation such as e-bikes and electric motorcycles, in addition to home energy storage like powerwall and whatnot... some exciting ****. good job elon

correction: the chargers are all connected to the grid. solar panels likely contribute to only a small percentage. but it's still a good start.

Last edited by spectastic; 04-23-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 03:59 PM
himespau 

Proctoring finals is boring as ****. 2.5 hours of just sitting watching students take tests. And I'm doing it twice in a row today. Missed one set of sisters cheating (or at least they have identical answers for 65 of the 75 multiple choice questions). Fortunately, they had different forms, so one completely bombed and the other only kind of failed. I don't get it. They know I use 6-8 different forms. Why is putting the same letter answer as the person sitting next to you remotely a good idea under those circumstances?
Old 04-23-16, 04:00 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proctoring finals is boring as ****. 2.5 hours of just sitting watching students take tests. And I'm doing it twice in a row today. Missed one set of sisters cheating (or at least they have identical answers for 65 of the 75 multiple choice questions). Fortunately, they had different forms, so one completely bombed and the other only kind of failed. I don't get it. They know I use 6-8 different forms. Why is putting the same letter answer as the person sitting next to you remotely a good idea under those circumstances?
That's amazing. I guess if you're dumb enough to just copy the answers the "why" question sort of answers itself.
Old 04-23-16, 05:12 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
the tesla charging stations all use solar power. I don't know the logistics, but it seems like marketing hype to me.. using solar panels to charge a car is slooooow. They have batteries, to store them, but there's a limit where the solar panels won't be able to keep up. So there has to be a set number of cars per day (depending on season) that one charging station can support. And as demand for electric cars rise, there's only so much the panels can provide before they have to draw from the grid. In addition, the super chargers rely on super high amperage to charge the li ion batteries fast. I'm curious to know what strategies they use to mitigate the loss of cyclability under such high currents.

also, with the concurrent construction of their huge battery factory, the price for li ion should be tanking in the coming years, which hopefully also has implications for other forms of electric transportation such as e-bikes and electric motorcycles, in addition to home energy storage like powerwall and whatnot... some exciting ****. good job elon

correction: the chargers are all connected to the grid. solar panels likely contribute to only a small percentage. but it's still a good start.
Green Car Congress: Tesla And Other Tech Giants Scramble For Lithium As Prices Double
Old 04-23-16, 05:22 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Back of the envelope, 50 square foot solar panel is about 1kW. The Tesla supercharger is about 120kW or so. So if they're in use 100% of the time during the day and none at night, it's about a 1% contribution. If they're only used half the time and the batteries are big enough (probably are) it's about 2%. They're probably only used a few hours at night, so 2% is probably a pretty accurate picture of the kWh the solar is contributing, once they're pretty fully utilized. Today it's probably much higher since they're not used nearly 50% of the time probably.
Old 04-23-16, 06:18 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
see first comment on article. price of lithium is a small component of the entire battery. Most of the battery is dedicated to storing the lithium ions, and even more is dedicated towards the manufacturing process. Part of the drive in battery research is to source materials that are cheap and common. Lithium fits into that category, because it's so common, and the reason why it's a viable resource for helping the world go electric. On the other hand, it is also a finite resource, which suggests there will eventually have to be some type of recycling infrastructure, which doesn't currently exist. Bottomline is yes, price of lithium will go up; it's economics. But it's also expected. The fact that people are scrambling to secure salt mines is indication that this isn't a fluke. EV's will hit big.
Old 04-24-16, 06:05 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Couldn't bring myself to toss some food. Ate it. Got sick. Sort of recovering now. I'm so stupid.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. Its a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. Theres skills, theres tactics theres all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-25-16, 07:12 AM
topflightpro

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 105 Posts
During my ride on Saturday, I encountered a wolf chasing three deer across the street. The deer jumped over a guard rail, but then they ran into an over grown fence. Two of the deer then jumped back on the road and started charging toward me. I stopped in the middle of the road to watch them and to avoid being hit by them.

Then I saw the wolf come out of the brush and go after the third deer, while the two coming toward me jumped back over the guard rail and into the brush.

It then occurred to me, what if the wolf sees me and decides I'm an easier target than the deer. At that point, I got on the bike and started hauling ass out of there.
Old 04-25-16, 07:18 AM
himespau 

Just the one wolf?
Old 04-25-16, 07:19 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wolf sighting in the wild?! Where do you live?
Old 04-25-16, 07:20 AM
Flatballer
No matches

The 18th century apparently.
Old 04-25-16, 07:40 AM
topflightpro

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 105 Posts
Just the one wolf?
I only saw one, but it happened pretty quickly. There may have been more.

I was riding outside Lexington, Va. near the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was actually the second wolf I saw that day. The first one I saw crossing the BRP as I was riding. Someone suggested I saw a coyote, but this was about 5 times the size of any coyote I'd ever seen.
Old 04-25-16, 07:53 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not literally impossible that you saw a gray wolf in Virginia but it's almost impossible. It's far more likely that you saw an eastern coyote (which is still a cool thing to see).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_coyote
Old 04-25-16, 08:08 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.