Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Setting up a Tourist for endurance rides?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 06:25 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Setting up a Tourist for endurance rides?

My Windsor Tourist has played various roles over the six years I've had it. Rear racks, front racks, pulls a BOB trailer, etc. This bike has been my do all, end all bike. I commute on it daily and haul stuff with the trailer as needed.

I am planning some long rides, looking at doing a 200k rando at some point this year. The bike is currently dressed with fenders, and front rack & panniers. I have a Banjo Brothers frame bag somewhere I could swap out the front panniers and live. The panniers are an overkill for commuting, but they are nice.

I plan to add clip-on aerobars, and I would like to do away with the front panniers and go with either a handlebar bag or a rear seat bag (Dill Pickle??). I could loose the fenders but I really like 'em for commuting in the rain. I do have a clip-on rear "blade" fender that would help, but I would limit myself to the handlebar bag only.

Any thoughts on how to set this bike up? I know many here have dedicated rando bikes but I am not afforded that luxury right now.
Old 04-25-16, 06:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
A touring bike is a long distance bike. Personally I'm no fan of aerobars in group rides but I don't know offhand whether they are legal for RUSA events or not. The one change I might consider would be a second set of more performance oriented wheels and tires. This need not cost an arm and a leg.
Old 04-25-16, 06:48 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Upgrading wheels was on my mind as well. Areo's are legal in the US for rando's, but as I understand it, not elsewhere. Reason for the areobars is for extra hand positions. I am on the hoods 80% of the time, flats the rest. Never liked the drops too much.
Old 04-25-16, 07:49 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Rear rack with a trunk bag so you have someplace to put your jacket when it warms up. Bring lights in case it gets dark. I would leave the fenders on in case it's wet. Aero bars on a touring bike look ridiculous IMO.
Old 04-25-16, 08:28 AM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
My Windsor Tourist ... I plan to add clip-on aerobars, and I would like to do away with the front panniers and go with either a handlebar bag or a rear seat bag (Dill Pickle??). I could loose the fenders but I really like 'em for commuting in the rain. I do have a clip-on rear "blade" fender that would help, but I would limit myself to the handlebar bag only.
2 cents from a former WT rider...

Before I switched to recumbents, I rode my WT on a couple century rides and a single brevet, along with the related training rides. I tried a clip-on aerobar setup and a rear rack similar to this:

Never found a way to efficiently&comfortably use a handlebar bag with the aerobars - others have tho', it seems. Otoh, the rear rack was augmented with an Arkel Tailrider Bag

I wound up sticking my 100oz water bladder in the bag and running a drinking tube from it over my shoulder/under my right arm and clipping it to my jersey's collar. The bag was large enough to carry all the extras (snacks, clothes, tools, etc.) I ever needed on my rides in addition to the completely filled water bladder. I did use one of my jersey's back pockets for accessing snacks/gum without stopping then resupplied them from the Tailrider at rest stops. The other two pockets carried my camera, phone(sometimes carried in the TailRider instead) and arm sleeves(coolers/warmers).

One other consideration is/was mirrors. Using aerobars pretty much necessitated using a helmet/eyeglass-mounted mirror. I just never really got 100% comfortable with any of the ones I tried - and I tried 4 different models - because of the riding position when using the aerobars and the "strain" on my neck. At best, I was only 80% comfortable using them. Without aerobars, I ran a pair of handlebar-mounted mirrors and was much more comfortable - except when in the drops, which wasn't often for me.

I'd have stuck with this setup for the long haul had my back issues not led me to recumbents.

Hope this was useful for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
56621-4.jpg.jpg (15.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: gif
ArkelTailRider2.gif (13.0 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by dual650c; 04-25-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-25-16, 08:36 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Rear rack with a trunk bag so you have someplace to put your jacket when it warms up. Bring lights in case it gets dark. I would leave the fenders on in case it's wet. Aero bars on a touring bike look ridiculous IMO.
I'm good in the light department. I commute at 5am so I'm well equipped there.
Old 04-25-16, 05:02 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I like my Arkel Tailrider trunk bag on a rear rack. It expands to hold _a lot_, is easier to get into than a big saddle bag, and should be more aerodynamic than a handlebar bag since it has less frontal area and is in the dirty air behind the saddle.

You don't want panniers. I estimated 20% more frontal area from the single pannier I use commuting, and speed differences at the same power seem to back that up.

Aero wheels won't do much for you. Assuming you stay away from box-section wheels, you're looking at about 4W out of 200 to go 20 MPH, and 1.5 out of 100-120 for 15 MPH. Over 75% of your drag comes from the rider, and you'll gain more with an aero jersey.

OTOH, more supple tires like the GP4000SII can net 15-20W at those speeds. Those have good flat protection for tires rolling that well - outside the rainy season I don't flat more than riding Gatorskins. They come in 700C widths to 28mm.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-25-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 01:13 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think I may install my rear rack and somewhere I have a trunk bag.... give that a whirl commuting for a few weeks to see how I like it.

(That was my 900th post here on BF!)
Old 04-29-16, 01:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I used a single pannier for randonneuring a couple of years ago, mostly out of inertia and laziness. I really didn't notice it until there was a quartering headwind on a very hot day, and the combination just wiped me out and led to a DNF. The drag was really obvious, and the capacity of the bag wasn't that great anyway. So I would definitely recommend against panniers. If you are going to buy a bag, I strongly recommend considering a bikepacking seat bag. Those bags are a very good start to ultralight touring as well as being useful on a long day where you need to shed a lot of clothes. I haven't seen many rack top bags that have any more capacity than that, and the bikepacking bags shrink to a much smaller size as the load shrinks. There are rack top bags that have small panniers that deploy from the sides. Then you are back to the potential for drag.

I am happier without a rack on my randonneuse.
Old 04-29-16, 01:58 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
unter, thanks for the reply. My Tourist has been through a few transformations over the years I've owned it. Accessorized, switched up stuff, etc (I'm like a 16 y/o with a car!). I've ran rear rack with trunk bags, rear panniers, front rack & panniers, handle bar bag.... I've tried it all. I even have a small-ish frame bag from Banjo Brothers somewhere.

I am leaning toward a seat bag myself. Honestly, if I really need more capacity, I'd pull my BOB.
Old 04-30-16, 06:42 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
unter, thanks for the reply. My Tourist has been through a few transformations over the years I've owned it. Accessorized, switched up stuff, etc (I'm like a 16 y/o with a car!). I've ran rear rack with trunk bags, rear panniers, front rack & panniers, handle bar bag.... I've tried it all. I even have a small-ish frame bag from Banjo Brothers somewhere.

I am leaning toward a seat bag myself. Honestly, if I really need more capacity, I'd pull my BOB.
If you need a BOB for a 200,300, 400, or even 600k brevet, you are way over packing and over thinking.
Steve, srsly, just do it. You have it in you, Just do it.
Old 05-01-16, 09:58 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
If you need a BOB for a 200,300, 400, or even 600k brevet, you are way over packing and over thinking.
Steve, srsly, just do it. You have it in you, Just do it.
Trailer is for hauling stuff. And maybe touring. That would be way over packed for a rando!
Old 05-01-16, 10:04 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I used a single pannier for randonneuring a couple of years ago, mostly out of inertia and laziness. I really didn't notice it until there was a quartering headwind on a very hot day, and the combination just wiped me out and led to a DNF. The drag was really obvious, and the capacity of the bag wasn't that great anyway. So I would definitely recommend against panniers. If you are going to buy a bag, I strongly recommend considering a bikepacking seat bag. Those bags are a very good start to ultralight touring as well as being useful on a long day where you need to shed a lot of clothes. I haven't seen many rack top bags that have any more capacity than that, and the bikepacking bags shrink to a much smaller size as the load shrinks. There are rack top bags that have small panniers that deploy from the sides. Then you are back to the potential for drag.

I am happier without a rack on my randonneuse.
Plus by going with a bikepacking seat bag, you save the not inconsiderable weight of a rear rack.
Old 05-01-16, 10:13 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Plus by going with a bikepacking seat bag, you save the not inconsiderable weight of a rear rack.
Does anyone rando with a hydration pack? I own a few, made by Osprey.
Old 05-01-16, 10:22 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Does anyone rando with a hydration pack? I own a few, made by Osprey.
I'm sure someone does. I suppose it depends on the how hot it is, how far apart the controls are and what's in between.
Old 05-01-16, 02:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I use a hydration pack on randonnees if it's hot. I have been using it without the bladder because I am too lazy to pack my seat bag to its max. I'll probably start using it for water in 2 weeks for the 400k. Nick Bull says that he sees a lot of people DNF when they use a hydration pack. There are a couple of Eastern PA routes where I used to run out of water without the hydration pack. I hate running out of water. I'm thinking about putting a third water bottle cage on my bike, I don't know if that would keep me from running out of water or not
Old 05-01-16, 07:02 PM
guidoStow

Bikes: SOMA Double Cross w/ BlackSheep Ti Fork, SOMA Grand Randonneur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 3L hydration pack because I drink more effectively with that than traditional bottles which i somehow always forget to drink from. I have been playing with just using a drink mix for fueling and my stomach is a lot happier than normal brevet food. If there are long distances between controls, I can bring extra bottle(s) as well as insurance. But if the controls are the usual distance apart and I'm good and make sure I refill at every stop I'm fine just using the pack.
Old 05-01-16, 09:40 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Adjust luggage space to the luggage you need to take, won't matter much where it goes. But note, for example, that here in Texas in the summertime, you need zero extra layers or clothing, so all you need is food/water/bike repair stuff. And in that case, you don't need panniers, etc.
If you have the aerobars and think you'll use them, put them on. Maybe half the people I ride with have them, they're not uncommon, not universal. They make more sense if you have long barren stretches into the wind.
If fenders are easy to put on and off, then adjust for the weather the day of the ride. If they're a pain, then just ride it how it is on that day.
Old 05-03-16, 05:50 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I plan to experiment with some different set-ups on a commuter/casual basis. I removed the front rack and panniers and most likely will ebay 'em. I installed my Banjo Bro's. frame bag to keep my pump and spare tube in. For the moment I will use a small hydration pack to be able to carry my lunch to work, carry my phone, rain shell, etc.

I am taking a serious look at a medium/large seat bag. Or maybe I'll break down and go with a rear rack and trunk bag again (ran that combo alone for years!).

As for aero's, still on the fence on that. If they don't work, there is ebay!
Old 05-04-16, 10:47 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I use a hydration pack on randonnees if it's hot. I have been using it without the bladder because I am too lazy to pack my seat bag to its max. I'll probably start using it for water in 2 weeks for the 400k. Nick Bull says that he sees a lot of people DNF when they use a hydration pack. There are a couple of Eastern PA routes where I used to run out of water without the hydration pack. I hate running out of water. I'm thinking about putting a third water bottle cage on my bike, I don't know if that would keep me from running out of water or not
Hmm, I don't recall saying that I've seen people DNF with a hydration pack. I can't think of anyone who I would say has DNF'd because of one. I know a half dozen or so people who regularly carry them. I don't like carrying one, myself, because it adds weight to my hands and butt, and it is hot in the summer. I have 3 water bottles and almost never run out but for long stretches where I know there's no resupply I will buy a bottle or two of water at a convenience store.

Nick
Old 05-04-16, 11:02 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I plan to experiment with some different set-ups on a commuter/casual basis. I removed the front rack and panniers and most likely will ebay 'em. I installed my Banjo Bro's. frame bag to keep my pump and spare tube in. For the moment I will use a small hydration pack to be able to carry my lunch to work, carry my phone, rain shell, etc.

I am taking a serious look at a medium/large seat bag. Or maybe I'll break down and go with a rear rack and trunk bag again (ran that combo alone for years!).

As for aero's, still on the fence on that. If they don't work, there is ebay!
My advice: Don't ebay anything for now, particularly not a front rack. My handlebar bag is the most useful piece of rando equipment that I own!

Go with what you already own, to start with. Just use the rear rack and trunk bag. It's pretty aero and only adds about a pound versus using a saddlebag alone. It's not likely to cause you to be over the time limit. If the time limit's a constraint on a 200km, then the problem is more likely with the motor than with the equipment.

After you have done a bunch of brevets then you'll start learning for yourself what works well and what doesn't. Then you can go buy stuff to optimize for rando.

Nick
Old 05-04-16, 12:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

If you have a trunk bag, definitely go with that. That's a very common rando setup, and it works for a lot of people. I have even ridden with some people that put the bladder for their hydration pack in a trunk bag. For a summer 200k, there is very little bike storage needed other than a place to put a tube/repair kit. I frame mount my pump.

Originally Posted by thebulls
Hmm, I don't recall saying that I've seen people DNF with a hydration pack.
I swear you told me that. I have wondered about it because it adds one more complication on a hot day. I'm not sure that I don't cramp more because of the hydration pack. I don't like having a lot of water in a hydration pack because it does end up causing abrasions and shoulder soreness, but that's just minor discomfort. My pack is not hot, the mesh back and ventilation is very effective.

Definitely going to look at adding another water bottle cage to my bike, I think 3 is the most that I've needed on the east coast. In Utah on a summer day, I ran through 5 bottles on a 30 mile ride, so I don't see how to avoid a hydration pack.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-04-16 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 01:32 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This is what I'm planning when I get to rando time. Strip. It. Down.

I'm going to lose the racks and fenders, keep the trunk, empty it to bare minimum, flatten the dashboard as much as possible, drop in better wheelset with slightly narrower tires. I'm running 40's on my Masi Giramondo currently.

That is what I suggest.
Old 05-06-16, 01:39 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies! Lots to think about. I keep looking at the rigs featured in the Trans Am race and marvel. And then I am brought back to reality.... longest ride I will do this year will be done in a day, don't need to pack for a week!
Old 05-06-16, 03:11 PM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
In general, the "good endurance" riders know to to do more with less. The two most obvious areas for engineering improvements are rolling resistance concerns, aerodynamic drag.

Find out what tires and tubes other good riders are using on the rides you intend to complete. Carry the same gear, the same way they do.

I wouldn't entertain "aero bars" - but hey - nothing quite like a "new" setup among other riders on rides you've nver done...... have fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.