Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Aero thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 05:42 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Looks like a Campy Delta clone.
Old 11-04-16, 04:55 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I believe the Modolo predated the Delta. The TriRig is different mechanics. TriRig pulls a wedge that splits the arms on bearing rollers while Delta's have a parallelogram they move. I have some - think I'll go get them and maybe use them.
Old 11-04-16, 07:25 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I believe the Modolo predated the Delta. The TriRig is different mechanics. TriRig pulls a wedge that splits the arms on bearing rollers while Delta's have a parallelogram they move. I have some - think I'll go get them and maybe use them.
Sounds like the roller cam mountain bike brakes.

Adjusting Roller-cam Bicycle Brakes

I had them on my "pepto bismal" pink Cannondale mtb. I really liked those brakes although they were heavy as heck.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-05-16, 05:59 PM
Doge

These are not the bars and these are not the brake levers. But I was playing with the fit/feel.
I think I have something here. I may get track bars for this. Sprinter shifters go on the Garmin mount that extends 4 cm.

BrakesHidden.jpg
Old 11-05-16, 08:48 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

no.
Old 11-05-16, 10:02 PM
Doge

On an IAB only race? Why not?
Old 11-05-16, 10:49 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a bit gimmicky, no?
Old 11-06-16, 08:51 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
inability to emergency stop, excessive ability to spear your leg in the event of a crash.

they won't let you ride without bar-ends, how could they allow this.

also, all the other kids would point and laugh and it's just not worth it.

a better way to accomplish the same thing (and you still should not do this) would be to get some single-pivot brake-only levers and mount them right near the stem faceplate, then put the IAB arms on top of them, effectively removing them from the aero profile. they won't spear you, you could emergency stop if you had to, and it would be so, so much less offensive.
Old 11-06-16, 09:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I thought you planned to put them behind the tops of the bars - i.e. backward from how they are supposed to be set up, so that the bar provides some aero protection, and at least would give a second point of contact for IAB. I really see no value in what you now propose.
Old 11-06-16, 09:50 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Darn Doge, collegiate rules are made so that people like me don't have to worry about equipment too much and here you are talking about chopped handlebars and inverted brakes and whatnot.
Old 11-06-16, 09:51 AM
PepeM

Not that I would be anywhere near your son's category of course.
Old 11-06-16, 09:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Should mount shimano grip shifters right by the stem so he can rest his forearms on em and shift without having to break form.
Old 11-06-16, 09:54 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by PepeM
Darn Doge, collegiate rules are made so that people like me don't have to worry about equipment too much and here you are talking about chopped handlebars and inverted brakes and whatnot.
I was thinking that too. They could goto a UCI bike - much easier and more defined.
I often liked the idea of the same bike for all events. Taking a TT bike, or for college even a Tri Bike (no seat stays required, no 3:1) and putting road bars on a huge advantage. Many of the college kids have Tri bikes.
Old 11-06-16, 10:01 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ygduf
a better way to accomplish the same thing (and you still should not do this) would be to get some single-pivot brake-only levers and mount them right near the stem faceplate, then put the IAB arms on top of them, effectively removing them from the aero profile. they won't spear you, you could emergency stop if you had to, and it would be so, so much less offensive.
Can't go in front in the Crosstop position as that may be disallowed. Behind the bar is good.

Also putting sprint shifter buttons on/near top.

In the end - might just do the sprint shifter buttons and leave everything else as is, but that costs me a Di2 brake lever set.

Part of this is economics/not wanting to move parts as I don't want to buy more 9000 Di2 (brakes), but already have the FELT DA2 wired and mostly setup. His Venge and MASI (borrowed some parts, bought others) are also setup. So right now got almost 4 bike (EVO has SRAM Red) and trying to reconcile them. If we could get to one bike (Venge or Felt) that would be 1st choice and save the MASI for home visits and climbing. The EVO is a loaner.

Edit Add:
Also the Aero bars won't allow these brake levers on the tops - or I can't find any without round clamps. So it would be round bars. Not sure that matters. Just a consideration.

Last edited by Doge; 11-06-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 10:07 AM
PepeM

I was thinking that too. They could goto a UCI bike - much easier and more defined.
I often liked the idea of the same bike for all events. Taking a TT bike, or for college even a Tri Bike (no seat stays required, no 3:1) and putting road bars on a huge advantage. Many of the college kids have Tri bikes.
Haven't looked into the rules carefully tbh, since I only have one bike anyways. But you're right, there is a lot of overlap between Tri clubs and cycling clubs in college, so there must be some tri bikes laying around.

One think I really like about collegiate is that TTTs are a fairly common thing. Don't think I'd get a chance to do one of those around here otherwise.
Old 11-06-16, 10:17 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What race is this for? Browsing the pics on USAC from last year's collegiate nat's, it seems most in the TT are riding normal bikes without any "creative" tweaks.

https://www.usacycling.org/usacgalle...pionships-2016
Old 11-06-16, 12:55 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by hack
What race is this for? Browsing the pics on USAC from last year's collegiate nat's, it seems most in the TT are riding normal bikes without any "creative" tweaks.

https://www.usacycling.org/usacgalle...pionships-2016
Helpful pictures. This is for collegiate TT and TTT. And I'm just playing around a bit - cause I like to find the edge of the rules. Junior may just do the road bike, but seems he can also/instead use his TT bike - with a bar change.

The USAC rules were revised this year (of course). The rules are simple:
"6F1. Bicycles and Wheels used in competition in all collegiate road events (criteriums, time trials, road races, etc) must use mass-start bicycles as defined in 1I1(g). These bicycles must have at least 16 spokes and no wheel covers may be used."
1I1(g) is not a UCI bike. It allows for bunches of stuff UCI does not. I think they should just make it a UCI mass start bike - but they didn't. A serious Tri Bike would be a huge advantage IMO - even over my trickery.

Things on the website conflict with the rule book. I sent and asked detailed questions to USAC got this response:
"No the rule book is the final verdict, because of how dense our website is in terms of historical pages we can’t always update each one, so the rule book is the final word in what is allowed...."

Years ago when junior was 8 I got into a long discussion with the USAC technical director about a "standard bike" vs the freedom to tinker and make it mostly engine, but some machine. At that time we both agreed tinkering is part of cycling. Since then others in that job went more rules on a standard for younger ages. So no high profile wheels, no carbon, no TT bike etc. (I am not up on them now - for obvious reasons). The thought is/was to make the cost of entry less. I can see where that needs to be applied to college too - esp where many of the kids can barely afford things and mom and dad and sponsors are not paying the bills.

Then...USAFA is a low ranking Div II team. USAFA does not allow them outside sponsors like other colleges. And the riders are not that strong or experienced. They are not threat to the big cycling schools. So shaking things up a bit might be fun. I'll be curious to see what others are using / doing.

Last edited by Doge; 11-06-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 01:12 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FYI, Div I and Div II are no longer a thing in collegiate cycling. It's club/varsity now. With all the time you spend dissecting the rule book i am literally shocked you don't know that.
Old 11-06-16, 02:14 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Should mount shimano grip shifters right by the stem so he can rest his forearms on em and shift without having to break form.
get a hub with a coaster brake and stack your forearms on the stem, no handlebars needed at all
Old 11-06-16, 02:16 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Edit Add:
Also the Aero bars won't allow these brake levers on the tops - or I can't find any without round clamps. So it would be round bars. Not sure that matters. Just a consideration.
you haven't addressed the fact that it would be near impossible to use the brakes. human wrist doesn't bend that way.

this is one area where you should just let your kid compete like a normal collegiate rider and **** around with everything, imo.
Old 11-06-16, 04:06 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
you haven't addressed the fact that it would be near impossible to use the brakes. human wrist doesn't bend that way.

this is one area where you should just let your kid compete like a normal collegiate rider and **** around with everything, imo.
Pretty sure I'll be posting something very similar in about 17 years....
Old 11-06-16, 06:07 PM
Doge

Most likely this is a tinkering exercise and he will have brakes in the "normal" spot. Although they may not be Di2 and still will use those buttons.

If someone shows up on a Tri bike -
Old 11-06-16, 07:01 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Show up with the venge and aero (zipp? aerofly?) bars w/Di2. That's a reasonable middle ground between tinkering and being on a standard bike.
Old 11-07-16, 10:18 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly certain that other college kids would take him out of the back of a break just to f*** with him if he showed up with that. I probably would.

My teammate obliterated both the D1 TT and crit last year, lapping the crit field solo after dispensing with her partner in the break. On a bike she bought herself, on borrowed race wheels.

Collegiate racing is not supposed to be about how much money mommy or daddy can throw at you.
Old 11-07-16, 10:37 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
My teammate obliterated both the D1 TT and crit last year, lapping the crit field solo after dispensing with her partner in the break. On a bike she bought herself, on borrowed race wheels....
The female racing thing from what I've seen in college - that is believable. Not believable for the guys.

The best collegiate guys [I know] are winning Cat 1, UCI Worlds podium kids riding the best stuff available. I don't think it is relevant who funds it, but it isn't the kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.