Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Selecting a bike from Craigslist to begin...

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 03:13 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

I’ve had an electric bike in the past, and I’d like to build a new one. Here’s my concern, my previous bike was built from the ground up to be electric, by the manufacturer (Stromer). This time around, I’m going to convert an existing bike to electric, and I’m not sure what I should consider in terms of what would make a good e-bike. I know there are certain items I’m looking for, such as disc brakes, space for a battery in the frame, and possibly shocks to smooth out the ride. What else do I need to pay attention to? I don’t want this bike to fall apart at higher speeds. If it helps, I’ll be using a BBS02 mid drive unit and will be searching for a hybrid bike (for commuting).
Old 01-11-18, 03:24 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 620 Posts
IMO, as long as the bike is from a major manufacturer and has the features you're looking for, decent components and hasn't been thrashed, you should have an excellent platform. Also, for me, a 68mm bottom bracket is desirable since I like to be able to use the retaining nut with the kit.
Old 01-12-18, 11:58 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up to a point, I would agree that a good quality bicycle will make a good quality e-bike.

However, the main thing that makes for a good bicycle, is light weight. This does not mean as much with a motor, and fact can be a definite safety problem with higher speeds.

As you pass about 18-20 mph, you leave the area that most bicycles are designed for. Brakes, tires, wheels, shocks that are fine at lower speeds are less than adequate at just slightly higher speeds. A used downhill bike is often recommended as good for higher speeds, as they are designed for it and often available at decent prices. Many use moped or motorcycle wheels and tires, cheaper but much tougher steel frames, then attach higher-end forks, shocks, and other components.

Also, your Stromer likely used a hub motor, there is good reason for this. Do you like shifting a lot, doing extra drivetrain maintenance, do you have a crank puller, or do you have a lot of hills Minnesota? Lots of steep hills are really the only good reason to endure the compromises involved with a crank drive.
Old 01-12-18, 02:31 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
#1. What size tires do you use?

I have a fast light road bike that uses 32mm tires.
I have a heavier full suspension bike that uses 60mm tires

They are very different beast. What are you looking for?

Generally, I love the '90s mountain bikes. They are cheap, well proven and not too expensive. There are some great steel bikes from that era.

They handle well, are not too specialized, and are happy with or without suspension.

Bikes these days are too darn specialized and e-bike parts are not always compatible. I guess a slack down hill bike would be the bomb if you could get everything to fit and were going for the heavy duty side.

Me, I just use what is in my garage, LOL.
Old 01-12-18, 04:59 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I just use what is in my garage, LOL.
Yeah, I had considered that. But I'm actually trying to have bikes I use on a regular basis in my garage, and only those that I use. I've sold some in the past few years just to cut down on storage!