Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modernizing a Classic: 1984 Trek 760

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Modernizing a Classic: 1984 Trek 760

Old 08-08-19, 04:22 PM
  #51  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist View Post
Thanks. I suppose your right about the 520. I'm not a modern bike guy. I'd more likely be looking for a Nishiki, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic type sport bike. I see them on CL sometimes for 1 or 1:50. The 520 is a bit sadate even for me. I prefer my Klein Performance.
I like technology.

But I also really like this frame. It's the first bike I raced on. Id like to enjoy it again.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 05:36 PM
  #52  
lonesomesteve
Senior Member
 
lonesomesteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I use to own an '85 760. It was an amazing bike! Still kicking myself for selling it during an ill advised phase of "Swedish Death Cleaning."

Anyway, I believe the '84 and '85 frames were pretty much the same in terms of geometry and clearance. Mine definitely did NOT have room for 32 mm tires. 28mm was as wide as I could fit. I also tried some 650b wheels on it and found that it did NOT have enough room between the chainstays or under the fork crown for 650b with 38 mm tires. 650b x 32mm would probably work, but then you'd have a pretty low bottom bracket, and tires that narrow sort of defeat the purpose of converting to 650b.

I recommend making that bike ridable with its original fork and whatever drive train makes you happy. Trek 760s are very special.
lonesomesteve is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 12:40 AM
  #53  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm going to go ahead and order one of those Innicycle headset adapter thingamajiggys that I posted about earlier.

What's the verdict on mixing and matching silver/black for seatposts/stems/bars? I'd like to avoid the roadie police coming after me in full force!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 03:19 AM
  #54  
Millstone
Senior Member
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 111

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 2.3 2019, KM Granlux 1995, Benotto 800 late 70's

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
What's the verdict on mixing and matching silver/black for seatposts/stems/bars? I'd like to avoid the roadie police coming after me in full force!
That's just a good way to get back into shape I guess
Millstone is offline  
Likes For Millstone:
Old 08-26-19, 11:25 AM
  #55  
HarborBandS
HarborBandS
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Chicago Western Suburbs
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I'm kicking myself for not just parting out my cannondale now. I think the DA 7800 would have been pretty great on this.
I just picked up a CAAD9 frameset for little money. Maybe the person you sold it to saw the opportunity to part it out and made some cash?
HarborBandS is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 12:16 PM
  #56  
crank_addict
Senior Member
 
crank_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,112
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 332 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
So I'm going to go ahead and order one of those Innicycle headset adapter thingamajiggys that I posted about earlier.

What's the verdict on mixing and matching silver/black for seatposts/stems/bars? I'd like to avoid the roadie police coming after me in full force!
Just yesterday I rode my +/- '84 760 build with stock fork. Black and silver components ;"\

Hammer down 35 mile with a mix of road surface, some really rough with busted asphalt. The bike amazes me and even with clinchers (Veloflex Masters 25) on 32 spoke deeper Mavic CX30 rims. Love this bike.

The build is not the lightest means but super mannered, holds a line very well in tight fast corners. Bonus the whisper quiet road sucker, unlike any modern carbon frame / wheels and angry bees sounding hubs.

Interesting enough, few weeks back on a Thurs night fast group ride, I swapped rides with another. Rode his Felt carbon, (don't recall model), we share similar size but I could've used a but of saddle adjustment. Anyways, we hammered on the same route as above. I was pounded to punishment on the Felt but clearly had a boost on the climbs. Contrary, the fellow on my 760 was grinning. He couldn't believe how fast and comfy this 35 year old steel bike and weighing 7-8 lbs more could better tackle the rougher portions.

I've watched many a rider on modern carbon 'slow down', elevate off the saddle in the rough road. So now these same riders whine about how harsh their modern carbon ride and now want the latest frames with clearance for fattie tires.

I suggest to keep the stock fork but to pour the money in a super wheelset. Consider premium tires in any type - clincher, tubeless to tubular.
crank_addict is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 04:44 PM
  #57  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the purple frame would look better with silver accents instead of black ones, no?

Originally Posted by HarborBandS View Post
I just picked up a CAAD9 frameset for little money. Maybe the person you sold it to saw the opportunity to part it out and made some cash?
I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.

I really should have done all this over the winter/spring since I had a fair amount of time. I'd been kicking the can down to sell the CAAD9 for years. Truth be told, I really didn't want to part with it ya know.

Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Just yesterday I rode my +/- '84 760 build with stock fork. Black and silver components ;"\

Hammer down 35 mile with a mix of road surface, some really rough with busted asphalt. The bike amazes me and even with clinchers (Veloflex Masters 25) on 32 spoke deeper Mavic CX30 rims. Love this bike.

The build is not the lightest means but super mannered, holds a line very well in tight fast corners. Bonus the whisper quiet road sucker, unlike any modern carbon frame / wheels and angry bees sounding hubs.

Interesting enough, few weeks back on a Thurs night fast group ride, I swapped rides with another. Rode his Felt carbon, (don't recall model), we share similar size but I could've used a but of saddle adjustment. Anyways, we hammered on the same route as above. I was pounded to punishment on the Felt but clearly had a boost on the climbs. Contrary, the fellow on my 760 was grinning. He couldn't believe how fast and comfy this 35 year old steel bike and weighing 7-8 lbs more could better tackle the rougher portions.

I've watched many a rider on modern carbon 'slow down', elevate off the saddle in the rough road. So now these same riders whine about how harsh their modern carbon ride and now want the latest frames with clearance for fattie tires.

I suggest to keep the stock fork but to pour the money in a super wheelset. Consider premium tires in any type - clincher, tubeless to tubular.
I totally believe it.

I have some decent wheels for the bike, but may end up getting something else down the line.

I'm actually keeping the stock fork. I am planning on swapping to a part that someone on bike forums came up with and update to a modern bar/stem combo. I have a bunch of black stems sitting at home, so I'll likely end up getting a silver one when the fit is set up if I'm so inclined. I feel like keeping the 'front end' silver will pay homage to the quill stem setup this bike came with!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 10-14-19, 10:03 PM
  #58  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any recs for a basic tool kit for putting a bike together or should i just piece together the few things I'll need? The one I had in college is MIA.

I have a lot of tools for working on cars so I should have the bases covered, but I should have things like a chain whip, headset and bottom bracket tools, etc etc etc. I might just take the bike to a shop to have the cables etc done since there's a good local shop and I think I paid dues for the university affiliate and get a discount there. I'd like to be able to ride the damn thing this year lol. It's much warmer here in NJ than it was in MA.

Or if any one's a local... I have pizza and beer I can offer! You can also check out this awesome headset adapter I got from the forum member mentioned above. I'm pretty excited!
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 07:37 AM
  #59  
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 11,928

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I use a cheap chainwhip that came with an old tool set I got from Nashbar when building my first bike (2004-ish). For bottom bracket tools and just about anything else that's bike-specific, you can't really go wrong with anything from Park Tools. I've bought one dud (for an obsolete ISIS bottom bracket) but other than that, everything else works quite well. I tend to just buy what I need when I need it as there is too much overlap in their bigger sets with tools I already own for automotive work (which I'm sure are nicer than what they include).

For headset and press-fit bottom brackets, I use my automotive wheel bearing set to press the cups in. You can get away with threaded rod, matching nuts, and some sockets/washers for a cheap kit. The forces are fairly low (relative to big front wheel drive bearings). Park Tool's headset cup remover works nicely for disassembly, though I know people have made their own version of that tool.

For cables, a rotary tool with cutoff wheels is my choice for trimming housing. I have a pair of Knipex diagonal cutters for trimming cables. They cut clean without distorting the twisted cable.

You'll want a good hacksaw and a steerer tube cutting guide if you plan to trim the innicycle conversion.
joejack951 is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 08:14 AM
  #60  
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters
 
mechanicmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Posts: 796

Bikes: '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '07 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6 View Post
I think you would be better served running fatter tires, but I am pretty sure you are going to be limited by the frame.
I've gotten 28c on an '86 560. It's tight but works fine.
mechanicmatt is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 09:31 AM
  #61  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 6,612

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 66 Posts
I bought a PO project bike that is a 760. Haven't done anything with it yet but plan on putting Superbe Pro on it. It is an 1984 model. It does of the socketed seat cluster.

WP_20141102_005, on Flickr

What it came with was a Giant unicrown fork! Went looking for an original but they are few and far between. Found one that was bent, bent it back to 38mm offset. What is unique about it is the crown. It has the sword feature that was not commonly used.

P1030005, on Flickr
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 10:22 AM
  #62  
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,545

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 219 Posts
I believe there is a tools thread on here someplace with recommendations, If you have a co-op anywhere near most all the use of tools maybe for a small fee but using a shop as you mentioned to get it cabled up and checked over isn't a bad way to go if time is a factor. I hope some pictures are coming soon of this build

I get allot done with Y hex wrenches, metric box end open end and a large adjustable wrench but for things like BB, pedals and cable cutting its good to have the bike specific tools
ryansu is offline  
Old 10-15-19, 10:26 AM
  #63  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 21,079

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426 View Post
What is unique about it is the crown. It has the sword feature that was not commonly used.

P1030005, on Flickr
The first couple years of production, a Cinelli CC sloping crown was used on that model. Later production used the flat Tange "Trident" crown pictured above.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 10-18-19, 09:51 PM
  #64  
ridethecliche
Village Idiot
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bahstaaaaan
Posts: 20,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu View Post
I believe there is a tools thread on here someplace with recommendations, If you have a co-op anywhere near most all the use of tools maybe for a small fee but using a shop as you mentioned to get it cabled up and checked over isn't a bad way to go if time is a factor. I hope some pictures are coming soon of this build

I get allot done with Y hex wrenches, metric box end open end and a large adjustable wrench but for things like BB, pedals and cable cutting its good to have the bike specific tools
Trust me... I'm trying!

I'm a first year resident and residency doesn't leave time for much... I finally get to leave the hospital and do something more outpatient based for a couple of months starting nov, so hopefully I'll get to start up in the next couple of weeks. I might just buy a small toolkit or so to start off just doing things piecemeal.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 01:36 AM
  #65  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 14,621

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
OP, you asked about "fork offset" and "rake". Yes, what Trek is calling offset is simply rake. You can see it on the diagram.

Edit: but it is worth checking the actual rake on your fork. Those catalogs typically are printed long before the bikes are made and changes often happen.

Ben
Iíve found the Trek forks to be pretty accurate, of the few I measured. But if this 760 is actually made of 531P (very thin-wall tubes) it is probably seriously intended for racing, and hence should have rather tight wheel clearances. Not sure it can readily be made into anything that isnít also racy.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 08:00 AM
  #66  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,775

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 674 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Trust me... I'm trying!

I'm a first year resident and residency doesn't leave time for much... I finally get to leave the hospital and do something more outpatient based for a couple of months starting nov, so hopefully I'll get to start up in the next couple of weeks. I might just buy a small toolkit or so to start off just doing things piecemeal.
Big toolkits have a bunch of tools you wont need.
Smaller toolkit?...I'm not sure.

Just write down what you need and search amazon. They have quality and crap all right next to one another and pick what you want for the price.

That frame is great, cool that you are bringing it back.
The innicycle headset will open up a lot of options for you in terms of handlebars for comfort(compact are nicer than traditional for me).
Just get the widest size tire that clearly fits for comfort. Wider tires have more to do with comfort.
Buy quality tires. Supple tires will be light and fast. They can change the feel of a bike.
Get a black cockpit or a silver cockpit. Either is fine. Perhaps not both though. It's tough to get quality silver bars and stem. They are available, but not many options and not usually light or cheap.


Enjoy the process!
mstateglfr is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
GordoTrek
Classic & Vintage
10
10-05-17 11:32 AM
terminatorsd
Bicycle Mechanics
14
09-04-15 04:18 PM
SJX426
Classic & Vintage
3
11-11-14 09:57 AM
jecky619
Recreational & Family
0
07-26-13 11:57 AM
ndbiker
Road Cycling
5
08-23-10 02:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.