Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Off the Wall Wheel Plan

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Off the Wall Wheel Plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 02:44 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Reynolds DV46s are light, cheap tubular wheels. Look around, and you can probably get a good set for a few hundred bucks, then upgrade the freehub body to 11-speed. It's a DT240 hub, so all you have to do is pull the old hub off and push the new hub on.

That said, I don't think this is a great idea.
1. Tubulars are a PIA in a road flat. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to patch a tubular on the road with Superglue and Stans, but it's not something I'd want to deal with.
2. A pre-glued replacement tubular will be heavy and not 100 percent reliable on hard turns - you do not want to roll a tubular on a downhill.
2.While carbon brake tracks have improved a ton over the last several years, if you're going older and cheaper, you'll be getting lower quality brake tracks. Do you really want to be dealing with that in a mountain century? Imagine if it rains.
Old 02-11-20, 04:34 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
OP here, BTW.

This has gone in a much different direction than I would have guessed. It was really (in my mind) mostly a deep section vs. lighter 'not deep section' wheels thing, where tubular was really almost an after thought.

Such is the life of discussion boards in the internet.

dave
Old 02-11-20, 07:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IME that sort of equipment doesn't make more than piddly difference on a ride like this compared to what you're using now.

What does make a huge difference in ET is training, and in your case, maybe supplements. That'd be the discussion I'd want to have. I finally got a free PM and have been training with it. The difference I totally did not expect was the ability to do hard training on days when I thought I was too tired to do it effectively. I've been only road riding on our tandem and training on my single using resistance rollers. I got the chance to get out on my single this past Sunday and was astonished to be absolutely killing it (for me), riding 50 miles and 3100' with our fast group, 10+ years younger. On the last little hill, every pedal stroke I could feel my quads twitch. Just barely made it at that effort. Which reminded me of the need to do competitive riding with folks faster than I, and doing the training necessary to be able to do that. That's the real deal.

For inside of the leg cramps, gotta do heavy barbell squats. And can't do those without a full-body progression working up to it. Athletes get knee injuries all the time and train their way back out of them. Good personal trainer is where to spend that money

Yes, there's a good reason to go tubular, and that's to get the aero cross-section that the deep carbon wheel manufacturer specifies. But I don't see how that's going to help you, since you'll be speed-limited on the descents anyway. Lighter is faster seems to have been a myth. Where did the Helium wheels go? I saw them for maybe 2 years, then no more. Tires make a difference, but you already know that.
Old 02-11-20, 08:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
How about 69 mm front, 79 mm rear, 1410 g, rim brake, Shimano free hub, tubular, $895 ($600 off)? New, and not a no-name brand. You would probably take much less than a $500 hit on these if/when you re-sell them.
Old 02-11-20, 08:40 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How about 69 mm front, 79 mm rear, 1410 g, rim brake, Shimano free hub, tubular, $895 ($600 off)? New, and not a no-name brand. You would probably take much less than a $500 hit on these if/when you re-sell them.
That is certainly interesting. If I were to choose this path, that it wider than I had considered (mostly concern about crosswinds). Interesting, anyway.

dave
Old 02-11-20, 08:46 PM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IME that sort of equipment doesn't make more than piddly difference on a ride like this compared to what you're using now.

What does make a huge difference in ET is training, and in your case, maybe supplements. That'd be the discussion I'd want to have. I finally got a free PM and have been training with it. The difference I totally did not expect was the ability to do hard training on days when I thought I was too tired to do it effectively. I've been only road riding on our tandem and training on my single using resistance rollers. I got the chance to get out on my single this past Sunday and was astonished to be absolutely killing it (for me), riding 50 miles and 3100' with our fast group, 10+ years younger. On the last little hill, every pedal stroke I could feel my quads twitch. Just barely made it at that effort. Which reminded me of the need to do competitive riding with folks faster than I, and doing the training necessary to be able to do that. That's the real deal.

For inside of the leg cramps, gotta do heavy barbell squats. And can't do those without a full-body progression working up to it. Athletes get knee injuries all the time and train their way back out of them. Good personal trainer is where to spend that money

Yes, there's a good reason to go tubular, and that's to get the aero cross-section that the deep carbon wheel manufacturer specifies. But I don't see how that's going to help you, since you'll be speed-limited on the descents anyway. Lighter is faster seems to have been a myth. Where did the Helium wheels go? I saw them for maybe 2 years, then no more. Tires make a difference, but you already know that.
FWIW, leg squats are off my list simply due to knee concerns. My inner thigh issues are (I think) the adductor muscles which are not the prime drivers of the leg motion in squats (they are more used to closed the legs together). Of course I could be wrong about that. Have a follow up in a month or so with my orthopedic doc and hope to get some clarification then.

dave
Old 02-11-20, 08:50 PM
tomato coupe

How deep-ish are you looking for?
Old 02-11-20, 10:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Reynolds DV46s are light, cheap tubular wheels. Look around, and you can probably get a good set for a few hundred bucks, then upgrade the freehub body to 11-speed. It's a DT240 hub, so all you have to do is pull the old hub off and push the new hub on.

That said, I don't think this is a great idea.
1. Tubulars are a PIA in a road flat. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to patch a tubular on the road with Superglue and Stans, but it's not something I'd want to deal with.
2. A pre-glued replacement tubular will be heavy and not 100 percent reliable on hard turns - you do not want to roll a tubular on a downhill.
2.While carbon brake tracks have improved a ton over the last several years, if you're going older and cheaper, you'll be getting lower quality brake tracks. Do you really want to be dealing with that in a mountain century? Imagine if it rains.

Again- do you have any experience with tubulars?

1. A tire lever is helpful to avoid sore thumbs. Generally faster to put on a spare tubular than to change a tube.

2. 165g. in my case, with glue and rubber band. Pretty nice & light Roval alloy clinchers w/ tube= 5.68lbs. DA 35mm tubular w/27mm tires & spare tire= 5.31 lbs.
So could carry two spares for the same weight as the clinchers with one tube.
It is in fact very hard to roll a tire outside of CX and maybe extreme criterium conditions, glue or no glue.

2. (sic) I have & have had a variety of carbon wheels new and old, ridden in in the rain, etc.. No problems- better than alloy/cantilever on my CX bike.
Old 02-11-20, 10:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
FWIW, leg squats are off my list simply due to knee concerns. My inner thigh issues are (I think) the adductor muscles which are not the prime drivers of the leg motion in squats (they are more used to closed the legs together). Of course I could be wrong about that. Have a follow up in a month or so with my orthopedic doc and hope to get some clarification then.

dave
Heavy half squats do serious adductor damage if one hasn't been doing them regularly. Talk to a strength coach as well as the orthopod. A common thread with doctors is "good outcomes." IOW, you tell your patient that he won't hurt his back if he only lifts light things. Very true but unhelpful in the long run. Gyms of course have adductor machines, but the range of motion is wrong for cyclists. I'm a big fan of doctors who are endurance or strength athletes. Otherwise, not so much unless its a positive diagnosis of a thing they know how to fix.
Old 02-11-20, 11:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm not a fan of the usage either (largely because it makes me hungry), but it's a little late to protest. The fixie crowd has been calling their deep-section rims "deep dish" for a long time now...
they’re allowed I guess - they generally don’t have any other dish to talk about
Likes For Litespud:
Old 02-12-20, 06:49 AM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How deep-ish are you looking for?
Just from the reading that I have done, around 50. FWIW, nothing in this thread has made me more likely to take this path.

dave
Old 02-12-20, 07:50 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
OP here, BTW.

This has gone in a much different direction than I would have guessed. It was really (in my mind) mostly a deep section vs. lighter 'not deep section' wheels thing, where tubular was really almost an after thought.

Such is the life of discussion boards in the internet.

dave
My vote is for 50mm tubeless. You'll get aero and rr gains, and you'll be able to put a tube in should you have a major issue that the sealant can't handle.
Old 02-12-20, 08:00 AM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
My vote is for 50mm tubeless. You'll get aero and rr gains, and you'll be able to put a tube in should you have a major issue that the sealant can't handle.
Setting money aside for the moment, there is a different choice which is to just stick with my existing Bontrager RXL wheels (spec'ed at 1440 grams). And is it correct that current tubeless tires have a lower rr than the equivalent clincher/latex tube pairing?

dave
Old 02-12-20, 09:19 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Setting money aside for the moment, there is a different choice which is to just stick with my existing Bontrager RXL wheels (spec'ed at 1440 grams). And is it correct that current tubeless tires have a lower rr than the equivalent clincher/latex tube pairing?

dave
I thought so from some reading I've done, but looking at brr just now, it seems that the GP5000 for example, is about the same rr for tubeless or a latex tube. The top 3 fastest tires on the site are tubeless tho. So I guess it comes down to puncture prevention/sealing, and whether or not you want to pump them up every ride.

My new bike is coming setup tubeless, so I'll see how that goes and decide whether or not I want to stay tubeless on the road.
Old 02-12-20, 10:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
they’re allowed I guess - they generally don’t have any other dish to talk about
Even more tangential to this thread, I recently learned that several "real" one-sided track hubs like Campy Record and Shimano Dura-Ace actually don't have symmetrical flange spacing. So those wheels do have a little dish, albeit not enough to jeopardize their strength.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-12-20, 11:07 AM
DaveLeeNC

@DaveLeeNC " I really am not a viable replacement candidate at this point as the situation is currently manageable."

OTOH, how much does an replacement knee weigh vs. a organic knee

dave
And the answer is about 170 grams out (organic knee parts) and about 460 grams in (replacement knee parts). I would come out a winner if I could lose the knee brace :-)

dave
Old 02-13-20, 06:19 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Deep tubulars can be pretty light. My Caden Decadence 50mm rims are supposed to be 310g.

So the point of tubular is deep with no weight compromise.
Old 02-14-20, 09:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I was born in 1946 but I don't have knee issues so I can't speak to that. I can say that last year I went to Mavic tubeless and they made the bike lighter, quicker to spin up and much more comfortable. The rim brake version of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs cost me under $500 for the set and that included tires. Got them at Competitive Cyclist. Oh, haven't had a flat.
Old 02-18-20, 09:03 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
i'm always a fan of new wheels, but i would also strongly recommend finding a rolfer (fascial bodywork) in your area, and trying a few sessions with them to see if they can't get some of the muscle/fascia issues sorted out. after my last partial knee replacement, rolfing was the key to getting things working right again.

for wheels, i'd be prone to getting a really nice set of clinchers, rather than tubulars, for the reasons many already mentioned. the difference between a super light set of deep carbon clinchers and tubulars is negligible (at least in my mind) compared to dealing with a completely new kind of tire mounting process.
Old 02-18-20, 02:30 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Heavy half squats do serious adductor damage if one hasn't been doing them regularly. Talk to a strength coach as well as the orthopod. A common thread with doctors is "good outcomes." IOW, you tell your patient that he won't hurt his back if he only lifts light things. Very true but unhelpful in the long run. Gyms of course have adductor machines, but the range of motion is wrong for cyclists. I'm a big fan of doctors who are endurance or strength athletes. Otherwise, not so much unless its a positive diagnosis of a thing they know how to fix.
My orthopedic's PA has been a tri-athlete in his past. And is into strength training presently. Left knee replacement facilitated my return to cycling 9 years ago.

And the answer is about 170 grams out (organic knee parts) and about 460 grams in (replacement knee parts). I would come out a winner if I could lose the knee brace :-)

dave
Life post op with a knee replacement has as much to do with attitude as it does activity. I had my left done at 47. And I just don't think about it as I am doing things today. At 57, I have plenty other things slowing me down, including the RIGHT knee needs replacing...
Old 02-18-20, 07:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by zjrog
My orthopedic's PA has been a tri-athlete in his past. And is into strength training presently. Left knee replacement facilitated my return to cycling 9 years ago.

Life post op with a knee replacement has as much to do with attitude as it does activity. I had my left done at 47. And I just don't think about it as I am doing things today. At 57, I have plenty other things slowing me down, including the RIGHT knee needs replacing...
It's a timing issue. They last about 20 years. So you do 47-67-87 on that one - except they won't usually do one if you're over 80, though it's a possibility. The OP is over 70, so probably should wait if possible.
Old 02-18-20, 07:28 PM
tomato coupe

It's a timing issue. They last about 20 years. So you do 47-67-87 on that one - except they won't usually do one if you're over 80, though it's a possibility. The OP is over 70, so probably should wait if possible.
Why would someone wait if they were 70 years old? The life expectancy of the knee would exceed the life expectancy of the person.
Old 02-18-20, 07:35 PM
ups

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Sure, why not.

Something like this might work: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bo...061769806.html

China carbon tubulars are quite good IME. Newer wheels tend to have rounded profiles- better in cross winds.

Maybe ask around at shop or club for someone in your area that rides tubulars- a bit of one on one feedback would helps thing to go smoothly.
40mm Carbon Tubular Aero Wheelset 10s / 11s - $550(Folsom)image 7 of 7

condition: excellent
Selling my carbon wheelset.

These are tubular!

1,259g / 40mm deep

Shimano / Sram 10/11s compatible

Bitex road hubs
Sapim CX-ray bladed aero spokes
Aluminum Nipples
BTLOS BT-40 Premium rims (higher end Chinese carbon)

20h front and 24h rear.

Tubular tires were professionally installed (glued) and are in great shape. No cuts, no sealant, no leaks. They hold air perfectly and are in phenomenal condition. Zipp valve extenders are installed and included.

The tires are 300tpi gumwall Challenge Strada PRO's in 700x25c. I've ridden a handful of tubular tires and you can't beat the comfy feel of a handmade tire.

Wheels and tires were used in a few triathlons and saw minimal training mileage outside of competition (I rotate between a few bikes).

Wheels and tires have low miles on them. Would love to keep them, but I'm not longer racing.

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offerspost id: 7061769806
Old 02-18-20, 07:39 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
DaveLee,
Mad Honk here. I have always ridden sew-ups and am now finding myself unable to find tubulars under $150 for the 19c variety I am used to. But they are very low in rolling resistance and total wattage used by me. So my advice is to find some of those, or look to a 18c rim like the Weinmann and use a 19c or 20c clincher tire. The clincher tires are still out there but cost about $20 if you can find a shop that has them or $50 from the big stores. The rims cost me around $25 from JBI and a wheel set is doable for about $100. HTH, MH
Old 02-18-20, 07:39 PM
DaveLeeNC

FWIW, my mother had a full hip done at age 90. She will be 94 in April and is currently rehabbing a shoulder replacement from November. You never know.

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.