Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 08:55 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't care if they put it in someone's garbage can or garbage bag set out on the curb. I am talking about the people who leave the poop bags on the sidewalk next to garbage cans and bags.
Understood - that bothers me, too. I just don't understand getting worked up over the former.
Old 02-14-20, 08:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22575 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Sunday is looking the best for me. 38°, sunny, and light winds.

I really need to start getting some saddle time in, so I'm hoping to do maybe 40-50.

The first brevet of the season is May 02. I'd like to get a handful of 100k - 160k rides in before then.
Originally Posted by datlas
What's the shortest brevet? 200k??
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yes. Shorter ride is called a Populaire, and that's in the range of 100k to 199k.
We may need to talk. I really love riding, but somewhere around mile 80-90 something starts to hurt. Usually my butt or my back. So I usually limit my century-plus rides. Any tips on how to overcome this? I would love to go out and do an all-day 200+K mile but body does not seem to like it.
Old 02-14-20, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Understood - that bothers me, too. I just don't understand getting worked up over the former.
So many people like to involve themselves in drama. We have a NextDoor group in my 'hood. I haven't joined because I would tempted to rant about the trash problem in a way that would not be very civil.
Old 02-14-20, 09:01 AM
WhyFi

I need to get in a 200k this year. It's weird, but I seem to get in at least one century per year, and the last few years I've had 2-4 each year... yet my longest logged ride is only 104 miles.

#crawlingovertheline
Old 02-14-20, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

So many people like to involve themselves in drama. We have a NextDoor group in my 'hood. I haven't joined because I would tempted to rant about the trash problem in a way that would not be very civil.
Probably a wise choice. Even if you approached it calm in mind, the interaction with the crazies would flush that calm down the toilet.
Old 02-14-20, 09:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Always good stuff, Bill. Those guys always look cranky.....
Yes, they usually have a “don’t mess with me” look.
Old 02-14-20, 09:11 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LAJ
Sort of. 9,000 seems high until you realize I start at 5,280. Of course, 14,000 is high, no matter where you start.
So you’re acclimated to the thinner air of 5,280 ft. Do you have an advantage in competitions at sea level, maybe slightly? I think it’s widely accepted that sea level athletes are at a slight disadvantage competing against mile-high athletes in terms of stamina.
Old 02-14-20, 09:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Sort of. 9,000 seems high until you realize I start at 5,280. Of course, 14,000 is high, no matter where you start.
The highest I ever got was Independence Pass. Rode up from Aspen without my gear. IIRC, it's a hair over 12,100'. I had been riding out west stating in the spring and had been over Hoosier (11,500+) and Monarch Passes (11,300+) fully loaded. Despite that, I could feel it near and at the top of Independence Pass.

The year before there was a young guy on our x-country trip who was from Leadville. He noted that he lived at an altitude that was nearly twice as high as the highest pass we were going to cross during the entire trip. (Logan Pass in Glacier, at about 6,700').
Old 02-14-20, 09:17 AM
BillyD
Administrator

-11° f
Agree. I would actually try riding tomorrow outside with morning temps around 18F.
Sunday is looking the best for me. 38°, sunny, and light winds.
April is looking the best for me. Maybe even May.
Old 02-14-20, 09:22 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Everyone has their own tolerance to cold. If it's above freezing, I am ok with gloves. For 20's, I wear mittens with glove liners. No problem. For below 20, I also throw in a chemical hand warmer.

The coldest I have ridden that way was somewhere around 6 or 7F. That's as cold as it ever gets around here. I would not say the ride was fun, but we did it for 2 hours and survived. I do have to go from glasses to ski goggles if it's below 20 also because exposed skin anywhere freezes.

I have some friends with Raynaud's who have battery warmed socks and gloves, with mixed results.
I have ridden to work in 5º. All the extremities got pretty numb, but it was still sort of fun. I've done fairly long runs in that kind of weather, but that's a whole different thing.

I never get Raynauds on the bike, it just comes on after I come home and my core temp starts to go down or something. I have electrically warmed gloves specifically for when I have to drive home from on cold evenings, something which reliably produces it. They help, but not completely. Once it's really on, it takes a long, hot, shower to reverse.
Old 02-14-20, 09:32 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
We may need to talk. I really love riding, but somewhere around mile 80-90 something starts to hurt. Usually my butt or my back. So I usually limit my century-plus rides. Any tips on how to overcome this? I would love to go out and do an all-day 200+K mile but body does not seem to like it.
It's not comfortable the whole time.

Granted, I'm very new to the whole long distance thing, I've only got 3 centuries and 3 200ks under my belt, but I've come to accept that it's just going to hurt at the end. Usually my upper back is pretty sore and stiff, and yeah, sitting on a bike saddle for that long isn't going to be comfy all the time.

I typically start to get a little uncomfortable and feeling a little down mentally around the 70-90 mile mark, but have always managed to start feeling better. I've just come to realize that it's not going to be perfect all the time and it's okay to not enjoy the entire thing. Riding with someone who matches your pace definitely helps.

No real suggestions other than maybe setting up your bike to be a bit less aggressive, position-wise. But changing your fit can cause a whole bunch of other issues, too. I know a lot of people carry tylenol or ibuprofen to help with the soreness.

Overall, I keep coming back to it because an all-day zone 2 ramble is just a fun thing to do. It's given me the chance to see a lot of my local area that I never would have otherwise.
Old 02-14-20, 09:40 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,734 Times in 2,758 Posts
Your butt is almost normal. Sitting on a saddle for 5-6 hours for a century, isn't the most natural thing. Eventually that goes away, but that's only saddle time, and getting used to longer and longer rides. The back is more complex. Core type stuff, fit type stuff, genetics, all of that plays into it. When I went for the series, every weekend was back-to-back 100 mile rides, with a climbing ride on Saturday, and a hammerfest on Sunday. Or, it was a Brevet on Saturday, and a hammerfest on Sunday. Cubic time on the bike is essential, and the longer you want to ride, the more that becomes true.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-14-20, 09:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

It's not comfortable the whole time.

Granted, I'm very new to the whole long distance thing, I've only got 3 centuries and 3 200ks under my belt, but I've come to accept that it's just going to hurt at the end. Usually my upper back is pretty sore and stiff, and yeah, sitting on a bike saddle for that long isn't going to be comfy all the time.

I typically start to get a little uncomfortable and feeling a little down mentally around the 70-90 mile mark, but have always managed to start feeling better. I've just come to realize that it's not going to be perfect all the time and it's okay to not enjoy the entire thing. Riding with someone who matches your pace definitely helps.

No real suggestions other than maybe setting up your bike to be a bit less aggressive, position-wise. But changing your fit can cause a whole bunch of other issues, too. I know a lot of people carry tylenol or ibuprofen to help with the soreness.

Overall, I keep coming back to it because an all-day zone 2 ramble is just a fun thing to do. It's given me the chance to see a lot of my local area that I never would have otherwise.
Originally Posted by LAJ
Your butt is almost normal. Sitting on a saddle for 5-6 hours for a century, isn't the most natural thing. Eventually that goes away, but that's only saddle time, and getting used to longer and longer rides. The back is more complex. Core type stuff, fit type stuff, genetics, all of that plays into it. When I went for the series, every weekend was back-to-back 100 mile rides, with a climbing ride on Saturday, and a hammerfest on Sunday. Or, it was a Brevet on Saturday, and a hammerfest on Sunday. Cubic time on the bike is essential, and the longer you want to ride, the more that becomes true.
Thanks for the tips. I kinda figured that was the case.

Issue is my regular schedule allows me to do 50-75 mile rides, so a century plus is going to be rare. And possibly uncomfortable. Maybe when I semi-retire I will have more spare time for longer rides on a regular basis. For now, I am ok with keeping it under a century with rare exceptions.
Old 02-14-20, 09:50 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by LAJ
What was your typical 200K time? I usually take somewhere around 10.5 hours total. But like I alluded to above, brevets are more of a zone 2 all day cruise for me. I would like to try for a sub 10h 200k this year, as these kind of rides are a pretty big time commitment, especially if you have to drive an hour or so each way to get to the start and then back home! I'm fast enough to not have to worry about making controls in time, but getting quicker just makes things easier overall.

Thanks for the tips. I kinda figured that was the case.

Issue is my regular schedule allows me to do 50-75 mile rides, so a century plus is going to be rare. And possibly uncomfortable. Maybe when I semi-retire I will have more spare time for longer rides on a regular basis. For now, I am ok with keeping it under a century with rare exceptions.
I am fortunate that I have loads of free time. I work 1st shift M-F, weekends off, no kids and almost zero social obligations.
Old 02-14-20, 09:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I am fortunate that I have loads of free time. I work 1st shift M-F, weekends off, no kids and almost zero social obligations.
Daughter #2 goes off to college in the fall, and if I can swing it I hope to drop to working 3 days/week, which will open up my schedule for more riding. That's the dream.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-14-20, 09:54 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I didn't know about this until I made the mistake of joining NextDoor, but some people, at least in MN, get upset by dog owners throwing poop bags in their garbage cans as they pass by on the walk. Given the alternatives, I don't understand the ire.
Definitely pisses me off when people do that. Why, simply because they're too lazy to carry their own pet's ****, should I have to pick it up and put it in one of my full trash bags. The trash collectors will just leave it there in the bottom of the bin if I don't.
Old 02-14-20, 10:03 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The trash collectors will just leave it there in the bottom of the bin if I don't.
Really? That would be a reason to be upset then, but that doesn't happen here - all of the bins are rolled over to the truck, hooked on and mechanically upended.
Old 02-14-20, 10:09 AM
abshipp 

The highest I ever got was Independence Pass
I think the highest up I've ever stood on my own two feet is around 10K. Both times wearing ski boots and skis. Mt. Werner near Steamboat Springs or Mt. Ogden near (you guessed it) Ogden UT. Not sure who's gondola puts you higher.

Side note: if you happen to be on any of the social networks, The Best of NextDoor is a great account to follow; it highlights the bat**** crazy that is NextDoor.
Oh lord.

My community is too small to have a NextDoor location. Should I be grateful?

#rural
Old 02-14-20, 10:10 AM
WhyFi

Oh lord.

My community is too small to have a NextDoor location. Should I be grateful?

#rural
Yes. You would surely be troubled by that peek behind the curtain.
Old 02-14-20, 10:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I have never checked NextDoor. I hope I am not missing out on anything. I still don't even do FaceBook.

Old 02-14-20, 10:15 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Really? That would be a reason to be upset then, but that doesn't happen here - all of the bins are rolled over to the truck, hooked on and mechanically upended.
Not here. The guys are racing full-speed and if they will only dump a bin if they can't grab the contents. Dumping often results in the destruction of the bin, since it is hurled violently back at the curb with the top open. Our paper recycling bins have the fitting for the mechanical dumper, but I've never seen it used and I'm not sure the trucks are even so equipped. Those bins don't last long.
Old 02-14-20, 10:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I have never checked NextDoor. I hope I am not missing out on anything. I still don't even do FaceBook.

We have a neighborhood listserv. It's a great way to sell stuff. They were very sympathetic when I had my hit and run. The perp might even have read my message asking for witnesses.
Old 02-14-20, 10:27 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
The sun is out today (sort of), and yet the air is far colder than it was yesterday, when it was cloudy.

Mysterious.
Old 02-14-20, 10:29 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I have eschewed inches and inches of snow, drifting, and sub-zero windchills for Florida. Left Nashville earlier in rather rude weather temps but it’s becoming saner now that we’ve entered Georgia.

Old 02-14-20, 10:32 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts

We got an invite recently to join a neighborhood group of some sort that several of our neighbors are on but we declined after seeing that it was being managed by a private company like in Oklahoma or somewhere. I figure it’s basically a data-scalping company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.