Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken upshift thumb paddle on right Campagnolo Veloce 10sp shifter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-13-20, 08:47 AM
Nikola

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

I have a pair of Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed brifters, from year 2011 to about 2013. As you can see from the attached photos, the upshift thumb paddle of the right shifter EP11-VLBXR is broken. The shifter works fine, but I can't upshift as easily because of the broken paddle. On the Campagnolo spare parts catalog https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_155_Catalogue_spare_parts_tools_Campagnolo_2011_part_A.pdf at page 44 I can't see the exact partnumber for the upshift thumb paddle. Anyone has experience with ordering replacement parts from Campagnolo? Or Should I contact Campagnolo directly?
If needed, I will provide clearer pictures.
Thanks a lot.
Nikola.

Old 02-13-20, 08:54 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
US responders please note OP is in MACEDONIA in the EU.
Old 02-13-20, 11:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Should be a pretty straight forward repair for someone experienced, a challenge for a newbie although quite doable. This is not a frequent replacement part but was available at one time. I've sold at least one from a parts lever for a service job before. The usual problem that I've seen with this up shift paddle is rust freezing the intermediate pivot and/or the hair thick spring breaks. If there's a bike shop that deals with the higher end stuff and is also service focused they might have a new or used on hand. Andy
Old 02-13-20, 01:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Parts availability in Macedonia? Good question. Where I live, I am a 40 minute drive from the best Campagnolo parts distributor in Canada which also has a retail store. In general, Campagnolo would have a nearby distributor which sells to local retailers, but I have no idea about where you could find them. My guess is that you should contact Campagnolo directly. This is pretty ironic, I live on another continent while you live within a few hundred kilometers from where the parts are manufactured
Old 02-14-20, 12:50 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
These are Powershift shifters. I have serviced many of the higher-end Ultrashift levers, the difference being that Powershift drops one gear at a time, whereas Ultrashift allows multiple shifts.

I don't bother servicing the Powershift models - I would buy a replacement right lever off of Ebay.

I used to have a collection of Powershift levers, several new, but I gave them away to my local Co-op: too much stuff.
Old 02-14-20, 01:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Total aside, feel free to ignore - I was not aware those were called paddles. When I was looking at buying a Prius, I test drove a C and really liked it. Then the choices of model. going up from the base, I could get more dashboard info and toys, a rear cam (which I would really love!) but - all but the base came with paddle shifting. The base had the shift on the floor where it belongs. I bought the base model. No GPS, no cam but a stick down where it belongs!

So bike related - I still ride bikes with the stick(s) where they belong, on the down tube. No, not 4-on-the-floor (or 5). It's now 7 and 9 but they are on the floor!

My other bikes are fix gears. Yes I am a dinosaur.

Ben