Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Just changed jobs, new commute is only 10 miles!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 08:24 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

At my previous employer, I had a 22 mile (one-way) commute. Needless to say, I didn't do that very much, if at all. I recently changed jobs, and my new place of employment is only 10 miles away. I did a test drive today with my car when I was out running errands, and found out most of the way is a MUP or dedicated bike lane. There is only one major road I need to cross at a crosswalk, but unfortunately I could end up waiting several minutes for the light to change.

Still, I'm super excited. I ride all year in Minnesota, and my long-term goal is to ride enough to get rid of my car and go car-free! However, to start, I'm going to ride a couple of days per week and work up from there over time.

Is it odd that one of the most important aspects to me about this new job was whether I could bike to work???
Old 08-18-17, 08:33 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
No. Completely understandable.
Old 08-18-17, 08:56 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Nice!
Old 08-18-17, 10:00 PM
RunForTheHills

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love riding my bike to work. It is a great way to start and finish your day. I am always in a good mood when I get to the office.
Old 08-18-17, 11:39 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not surprising at all! I had a 16 mile each way commute (flat) at my previous job and rode both ways most every day in nice weather. When I left that job I tried not to let the commute aspect bias my decision. Now I bike 22 miles to work in the morning four days a week. The commute home is train and six miles. I have to tell you a 22 mile ride is long enough to really help build fitness.

I hope the new job works out well!
Old 08-19-17, 08:32 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Ten miles you can do everyday, totally. Nice that you've got the MUP too. It's perfect.
Old 08-19-17, 06:00 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 88 Posts
I do not think that it is odd that it be important aspect of a new job be that you can bike there. When we were looking to buy a house I would not look at any houses that I were too far so I could not bike commute. We all have our priorities in life.
Old 08-19-17, 07:11 PM
mcours2006

Where I live the average commute time (with all modes of transport) is 42 minutes, the highest in North America. It's the time spent commuting, but the stress of traffic that is a source of stress for people. If you can shorten your commute by changing jobs or moving closer to work it makes sense, and even more so if you can bike or walk there. The commute is now dual purpose--gets you there and exercise. Win win.
Old 08-20-17, 04:49 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I actually selected my last three jobs based on commutability and made sure to ask explicitly at my last 5 or 6 interviews about bike connectivity and what parts of each city to live in. Some jobs I declined because of the quality of life which often included the ability to cycle into work and the facilities they had present
Old 08-20-17, 08:47 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My own pattern has been job first regardless of where, and then moving to improve the commute. As a criteria when you have a choice of jobs, the ability to bike to work makes perfect sense.
Old 08-20-17, 01:48 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
i am semi retired so i can be a little pickier but i always consider a job based largely on the commute. bikes rule man!
Old 08-20-17, 07:08 PM
Alligator

Just test rode the route today, but on my road bike. 39 minutes, 10.0 miles (one-way). I figure I'll be slower on my hybrid, but I need it for the fenders and rack. The good news is that the ride home is mostly downhill.
Old 08-20-17, 07:19 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Alligator
The good news is that the ride home is mostly downhill.
That's perfect after a long day at work. Although my 12-mile commute is mostly flat I often curse at the prevailing headwind that normally accompanies my ride home. I'd prefer to face the headwinds in the morning and have an easier time coming home.
Old 08-24-17, 09:40 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations, that's awesome! I'm also in the Twin Cities. Are you on the greenway for your commute?

At my previous employer, I had a 22 mile (one-way) commute. Needless to say, I didn't do that very much, if at all. I recently changed jobs, and my new place of employment is only 10 miles away. I did a test drive today with my car when I was out running errands, and found out most of the way is a MUP or dedicated bike lane. There is only one major road I need to cross at a crosswalk, but unfortunately I could end up waiting several minutes for the light to change.

Still, I'm super excited. I ride all year in Minnesota, and my long-term goal is to ride enough to get rid of my car and go car-free! However, to start, I'm going to ride a couple of days per week and work up from there over time.

Is it odd that one of the most important aspects to me about this new job was whether I could bike to work???
Old 08-24-17, 10:02 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
My commute to work is one of the reasons I moved a year ago. Old commute: 37 miles one way, 4000' elevation change. I could only do this on the longest days of the year and rarely did. My old commute was hybrid - load the bike on the car, drive part way, ride to work, then reverse in the afternoon. New commute: 12 miles one way, 550' elevation change. Awesome change.
Old 08-24-17, 10:45 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Good for you. I've been transferring between a few locations in Chicago in my company the last couple years. I've got a 12 mile commute each way now through mostly MUP and residential neighborhoods. My favorite was 7 miles each way into a very nice area of the city through bike lanes. 7 miles was short enough that I was comfortable just rolling up my pantleg and going with a shirt and tie, or polo on. 12 miles, with stop lights, intersections, etc is the better part of an hour ride for me...so I feel like I need to gear up for an actual ride each time, rather than just a cruise in normal clothes through the neighborhood. I like both...but the 7 mile commute made things more flexible .
Old 08-24-17, 11:28 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
OP, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm with you on all of your points. I'd also prefer to live closer to work but am about 24 to 25 miles away taking the GWB route. So to get around the 3+ hour rides daily, I do a park and ride to give myself a break. It also sounds like you are in a good area. I'm looking to eventually do the same and relocate to hopefully a more cycling friendly commute situation. Will see...
Old 08-24-17, 11:48 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
10 miles each way would be perfect, my ride is 6 or 7 it's just a hair short.

ps-> we arranged our kids' daycare/preschool options for compatibility with biking from home to work; the last one (before elementary school) didn't have a place to store a trailer or trailabike but they had a roof over some hedges and they let me leave the rig in the hedges.
Old 08-24-17, 02:18 PM
Alligator

Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
Congratulations, that's awesome! I'm also in the Twin Cities. Are you on the greenway for your commute?
No, but I wish I was, that's a nice path. I'm north of Minneapolis, and have some bike lakes most of the way to work now.

I start just after Labor Day, and I can't wait. I also can't wait until it's -5° F (-20° C) here in the winter. The looks from the people in cars is very motivating. And I have a nice new pair of goggles that I'll wear.
Old 08-24-17, 07:40 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Everyone feels differently about this kind of stuff, but for me I love the cold, and dread the snow. Two years ago I hit my personal record cold commute at -20F air temp. But if there's more than an inch of new snow I usually drive. Studded tires make a night and day difference in the winter; I've been really happy with schwalbe marathon winters.

No, but I wish I was, that's a nice path. I'm north of Minneapolis, and have some bike lakes most of the way to work now.

I start just after Labor Day, and I can't wait. I also can't wait until it's -5° F (-20° C) here in the winter. The looks from the people in cars is very motivating. And I have a nice new pair of goggles that I'll wear.
Old 08-25-17, 07:01 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like your idea about prioritizing the cycling to work. And 10 miles each way is a good ride.
Old 08-25-17, 02:10 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
10 miles each way would be perfect, my ride is 6 or 7 it's just a hair short.

ps-> we arranged our kids' daycare/preschool options for compatibility with biking from home to work; the last one (before elementary school) didn't have a place to store a trailer or trailabike but they had a roof over some hedges and they let me leave the rig in the hedges.
It's a lot easier to do longer than shorter on the commute...
Old 08-26-17, 09:06 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
I love riding my bike to work. It is a great way to start and finish your day. I am always in a good mood when I get to the office.
That is funny, I'm usually pissed off by the time I get to work, which puts me in the right frame of mind to deal with my job.
Old 08-31-17, 11:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
hey congrats! do they have a shower?

I brought up biking to work & asked if they had a shower at a job interview once. I also asked if they were profitable & gave raises every year. didn't get a 2nd interview & I' wasn't disappointed. not profitable? no shower? I'm not interested
Old 09-01-17, 01:55 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hey congrats! do they have a shower?

I brought up biking to work & asked if they had a shower at a job interview once. I also asked if they were profitable & gave raises every year. didn't get a 2nd interview & I' wasn't disappointed. not profitable? no shower? I'm not interested
Important questions...if you're not desperate to take the first gig offered. Too many people treat interviews as one way conversations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.