Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon vs. Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 04:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
An interesting article on the Cervélo website and I think they only make carbon bikes ?. The pie chart shows how small a portion of overall rider comfort is from the vertical compliance of a frame. I’ve seen this before, that so many other factors - tire size and psi, wheel design, saddle used, bar tape, shorts, etc.... are as, or more important than the frame.

Can we feel the difference between materials ?, yes and that affects what we like to ride. I read somewhere that carbon is really good at damping shock transmitted thru a frame. Aluminum less so. Steel and titanium are in between those two. But the feel is very subjective.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/ride-quality
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-05-20, 05:04 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
My carbon superx with the dreaded bb30 also has never creaked. Proper prep and install of generic bearings with loctite 609. Gets ridden hard in mud and water
Old 01-05-20, 05:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
The lateral stiffness is a major contributor to precise handing which results in decending confidence and even safety. It is not just about power transfer. I agree that the market went crazy buildiong stiffer and stiffer bikes for decades, Cannondaue was the poster child for that, then as the bulk of serious cyclists started to age and care about comfort the market started to shift to want compliance, especially vertical. Cannondale, stuck with all of their technology to just make things stiffer had to come out wiith suspension sysytems added to their super stiff frames to make them comfortable again (something they try to market as an advantage).

The reason recent tehnology for frame design has been the push creale vertical compliance is because gravel riders ride roulh roads needing the compliance/comfort, but still wanted low weight bikes with great performance on the paved parts that stitch together many if not most longer gravel rides... Those paved portions are what make front or full suspension anb MTB size tires unappealing on grabel bikes.
Yeah...I'm just not the dramatic a rider, I guess. I haven't been in a descent with my 1" steerer road bikes and lacked confidence or felt unsafe. my old gravel frame, with a 1 1/8" steered never left me feeling unsafe or unsure.
I dont feel safer or more confident on my current gravel frame with a tapered steerer and 44mm head tube.
Perhaps I dont ride dynamically enough to experience the unsafe feeling of a 1 1/8" steerer, or perhaps the gravity of the situation is overblown.
I would think geometry would play a larger part in confident descending. For confident descending, things like trail and front center measurement seem more critical than an overly stiff bottom bracket or massive head tube junction.
Maybe I'll come upon a time when I wished for a frame that is as laterally stiff as a board, but so far that hasn't come up.

As for you referencing Cannondale as the brand that is trying to market suspension as a technology in their frames due to stiffness- not sure why you left out Trek and Specialized. You bash Cdale for focusing on stiffness then having to engineer in comfort- why leave out Trek and Specialized? Seems odd to rant about one brand only when two major brands are pushing comfort tech.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-05-20, 08:46 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The lateral stiffness is a major contributor to precise handing which results in decending confidence and even safety.
That's what the marketing says. But as someone who rides frames with widely disparate characteristics in spirited road rides, I can't agree. Sure, if the frame's properties lead to bad specific behaviors like speed wobble, changing them is significant. But as long as the frame is reasonably well-behaved, further stiffness isn't overly relevant to road handling.

In yesterday's road ride, when we cracked 50mph on one of the descents, my steel bike tracked rock-solid like always, 1" steerer and 7/8" quill stem and all.
My '83 Miyata 710 is, in most respects, flexier than my Emonda. But its geometry is very similar, and the way it responds to steering is just about identical.
And when I'm leaned far in a corner on a vintage steel wet noodle, it's the tire feedback that makes me nervous, I don't really notice frame flex at all.
Old 01-06-20, 04:54 AM
JF69

Bikes: Planet X Tempest Titanium R8000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Titanium

Titanium.

Awesome ride quality, strong yet light, looks great too (if that's your thing)
Old 01-06-20, 06:05 AM
MugenSi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 2017 Felt VR30 gravel bike fitted with 28mm tyres on Fulcrum DB5 wheels and 5800 groupset. Its my go to bike for 90% of the year, very comfortable, versatile, great gearings (46/30 chainset with 11/32 cassette) and out of the 4 road bikes I own, its my favourite. When buying this bike I could have bought the VR4 which is the carbon version with 4700 Tiagra groupset but I wanted alloy as it can stand up to abuse more and less likely to get damaged and the weight difference between the two was negligible (less than 0.4kg)

I also have a 2015 S-Works Roubaix (SL4) with carbon wheelset and R8050 Di2 groupset that I sort of have to force myself to use in summer. Its a beautiful bike, much lighter than the Felt (7.2kg v 10kg) and faster. Its set up almost identically to the Felt with more or less identical reach/stack etc but I just prefer the Felt for some reason.

I also have a Planet X Spitfire titanium bike with 6800 groupset which gets very little use, its a lovely bike but if I were honest with myself I have no use for it and should sell it.

I also have a 2018 Cube Attain (entry level bike with Claris) which I use on the turbo trainer and take with me if we are going away for weekends during the summer etc. Its such a nice bike also, the frame is very sweet, comfortable and rides really nice, The biggest problem with the bike is the big gaps in the gears, it has a 50/34 compact chainset and an 11/36 8 speed cassette. I plan on changing the cassette to an 11/30 which should take out some of the huge jumps but like the idea of the 36T as a bail out gear for really tough stuff. I prefer this bike to the PX titanium bike as it rides nicer even on its really cheap Alex rims and wired tyres.

I will most likely keep the Roubaix long term for summer use and change the Felt at some stage but what ever I do replace it with, it'll be alloy.
Old 01-06-20, 08:02 AM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Gravel bikes are the place where carbon really excels the most over other frame materials. Carbon in a gravel frame can be laid up to create the holy grail - laterally stiff, vertically compliant by varying the carbon types, weaves and thicknesses in different poarts of the frame to give it very different characteristics laterally vs. vertically. All that can be done while keeping the frame very light too...Because road bikes are generally ridden on smooth surfaces the difference in vertical vs. lateral is not such a big deal (stiff both ways is okay). On MTB bikes you have shocks to take up the flexibility needs. But on a gravel bike you want to keep it light, have verttical give, but lateral stiffness for performance and handling. With metal frames you have the same material on all sides of the frame members and can just vary shape so you simply cannot mimic the ride if a carbon gravel frame.
I agree that no other material than carbon offers such possibilities to frame designers. I am a fan of carbon. However, intinctively (I have no experience riding an aluminium gravel bike) I tought that bigger tires with lower pressure would reduce the advantage of carbon over other materials on gravel/off road. On tarmac, the capacity of carbon to soak small vibrations while being laterally stiff is certainly a big advantage when riding on small width/high pressure tires. I love my open UP on fat 650B 47mm tires but would be curious to compare the same tires with an aluminium frame. Someone did this kind of comparaison?
Old 01-10-20, 04:03 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Have ridden all three materials (of various bikes of each) and find comfort noticeable in this very order, best to worst: Steel, carbon, aluminum.

I hear Titanium is the best of all of those three materials but since it's too rich for my blood I've never ridden one.
Take a look at a Lynskey for a Ti frame on gravel.
Old 01-10-20, 04:07 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

It is more than just frame material, geometry in particular for a gravel bike is critical. I ride a steel Ritchey Outback and really like this frameset/bike. I also own a carbon Orbea Orca (road only) and titanium Merlin Extra Light (road only). Putting the Ritchey into turns, particularly at speed, you notice the intelligent well worked out geometry of his frames. It is not twitchy and is very stable, but much more sporty feeling than other gravel bikes that I have been on, particularly due to the head angle. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-10-20, 07:53 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My thought is by the time you end up on cross tubeless tires at 40 psi, you’ll never notice any difference in vertical compliance of carbon vs. aluminum, or steel, or titanium.
I can positively state that is not true.
Old 01-10-20, 08:46 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Bingo.

Just my $.02 here:

If you are racing, have lots of disposable $$$ and have a team of people to work on your bike, then carbon makes some sense. A main issue (for me) is always going to be Bottom Brackets. They gonna get loose and get creaky on carbon. Period. The industry have shoved this down our throats and people with money coming out of their pores might not care but the entire press fit BB issue is just compromised engineering for racing and because it is cheaper for manufacturing than using a real threaded BB (which is problematic on carbon frames).

If you doing long bikepacking/touring then a steel frame can be a strong consideration as well.

Titanium is still one of the best material for bike frames and still cost prohibitive for most of us mere mortals.
not all carbon bikes have press fit bottom brackets
Old 01-10-20, 09:22 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
It is more than just frame material, geometry in particular for a gravel bike is critical. I ride a steel Ritchey Outback and really like this frameset/bike. I also own a carbon Orbea Orca (road only) and titanium Merlin Extra Light (road only). Putting the Ritchey into turns, particularly at speed, you notice the intelligent well worked out geometry of his frames. It is not twitchy and is very stable, but much more sporty feeling than other gravel bikes that I have been on, particularly due to the head angle. Just my 2 cents...
I've always wondered how that HDA affected the real world feeling of the Outback. Glad to hear my suspicions are confirmed.
Old 01-10-20, 09:37 AM
Fox Farm

I've always wondered how that HDA affected the real world feeling of the Outback. Glad to hear my suspicions are confirmed.
I am not a frame builder (although that is on my bucket list of things to learn), but I find that on the Outback, the front end is fast and the rear is stable. When riding it on the road and pushing the bike into a fast descent and carving turns, it feels so different from my road bikes. The rear end stays planted, so to speak.
Old 01-10-20, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I am not a frame builder (although that is on my bucket list of things to learn), but I find that on the Outback, the front end is fast and the rear is stable. When riding it on the road and pushing the bike into a fast descent and carving turns, it feels so different from my road bikes. The rear end stays planted, so to speak.
If the Ritchey came in a size that fit me, it would have 100% been a frame that I didnt just heavily consider, but would have almost certainly purchased. I geek on Ritchey stuff hard. The only downside is 40mm max tire which is antiquated. I would have gotten over it and continued to ride 40mm tires though.

The 73degree HTA and 47mm fork offset in the largest size is 60mm of trail. That is the same trail as my gravel bike with a 72.5 degree HTA and 50mm fork offset. Its certainly a departure from where a lot of gravel frames have gone in the last year or two.
Old 01-10-20, 01:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I can positively state that is not true.
Cervelo disagrees with you. Go look at the chart they have on the site and notice where the frame sits in the general scheme of ride quality.
Old 01-10-20, 01:50 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Cervelo disagrees with you. Go look at the chart they have on the site and notice where the frame sits in the general scheme of ride quality.
I can't find it but I wouldn't believe them anyway lol. My butt and personal experience don't lie.
Old 01-10-20, 03:44 PM
Steve B.

I can't find it but I wouldn't believe them anyway lol. My butt and personal experience don't lie.
https://www.cervelo.com/en/ride-quality

Our individual experiences are what is known as anecdotal. I cannot recall what or where I read it, but somebody did a stiffness test a few years ago (Damon Rinard maybe ?) to try to determine if such things as vertical and lateral stiffness in frames could be felt by the rider. I recall many heated discussions on the internet at the time but generally the consensus was that given the use of aired-up rubber tires, saddles, bar tape, padded shorts, etc... all essentially combined to eliminate a riders ability to feel a difference in the vertical stiffness between frames.

That's not to say that you don't feel the difference between frame materials. All experienced riders can feel that shock and bumps are transmitted thru the frame in different ways, and I've read that carbon is good at soaking up shock while aluminum is not. My experience with multiple carbon, aluminum, steel and titanium frames is not that clear cut. I'm a clyde and am likely less sensitive to how a frame transmits shock. Other riders (like a buddy I road with today) are significantly more sensitive as you might be and I think that's what drives peoples opinions. Which are just that - opinions.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-10-20, 06:45 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I guess I just assume my bikes are going to get some superficial damage so I just don’t feel it’s worth it taping things up.
Old 01-10-20, 07:09 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by fraba
I agree that no other material than carbon offers such possibilities to frame designers. I am a fan of carbon. However, intinctively (I have no experience riding an aluminium gravel bike) I tought that bigger tires with lower pressure would reduce the advantage of carbon over other materials on gravel/off road. On tarmac, the capacity of carbon to soak small vibrations while being laterally stiff is certainly a big advantage when riding on small width/high pressure tires. I love my open UP on fat 650B 47mm tires but would be curious to compare the same tires with an aluminium frame. Someone did this kind of comparaison?
Certainly, but I was sticking to teh OP question about Carbon vs. Aluminum as a frame material, not geometry, tires, wheels. etc... When you have wider tires at the right pressure, well designed geometry AND a carbon frame,well, you have a custom built Open! It don't get much better. And Open is made by Gerard Vroomen who founded Cervelo then left to form Open. He also is the main designer for 3T.
Old 01-12-20, 11:19 AM
Fox Farm

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If the Ritchey came in a size that fit me, it would have 100% been a frame that I didnt just heavily consider, but would have almost certainly purchased. I geek on Ritchey stuff hard. The only downside is 40mm max tire which is antiquated. I would have gotten over it and continued to ride 40mm tires though.

The 73degree HTA and 47mm fork offset in the largest size is 60mm of trail. That is the same trail as my gravel bike with a 72.5 degree HTA and 50mm fork offset. Its certainly a departure from where a lot of gravel frames have gone in the last year or two.
Wow, how tall are you? I am 6'3" and the XL fits me fine. I use a 12cm stem. Because I also ride the bike on the road, partially for commuting and also for getting to different trails in the rural landscape, I like the fact that it feels sort of fast like my road bikes. As for noting bigger than 40mm tires... I don't know, I run 38s regularly. I guess if I were riding in a particularly rocky area, like when I lived in northern Utah, I could see the benefit of larger tires. I was a bit torn between the Ritchey and the Ibis Haka, which can take larger tires and even 650b but had wanted another Ritchey for some time. I have had a Road Logic which is a great bike and in the very early 1980s, i rode on of his early mountain bikes, so I had some history with the brand. Also the same with Ibis so it was a bit of a toss up.
Old 02-01-20, 08:35 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I ride a a Jamis Renegade Expert, which is probably good for pavement or gravel, depending on tires. . My gf rides a Trek Madone 3.1, entry level carbon but with rim brakes. She told me that she wants a gravel bikepacking bike. Lightweight, Wider tires, disc brakes, a touring drive train. We're deciding between drop bars and carbon frame or an aluminum frame and flat bars. We're trying to figure out what we need. Carbon frame is preferred but racks and saddlebags are a step into a heavier frame, i.e. aluminium. How light can we pack? Meanwhile, my ExtraWheel trailer probably has the capacity to haul the excess baggage a bikepacking load won't pack. Advice?
This is her first foray off pavement. Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 02-01-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 07:01 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Some better data is needed for some of these arguments.

Some of the arguments in this thread need a scientific control group! There is so much that can alter the perceived ride quality of a bike that has nothing to do with frame material, so comparing completely different bikes doesn't let us isolate frame material differences. SEE BELOW for a Niner RLT 9 Carbon vs Aluminum comparison:

** https://gravelcyclist.com/videos/nin...h-shimano-grx/

This is still a small sample size, but is better than most of the apples-to-oranges-to-coconuts comparisons being made here among different bikes. Our two test riders have two well-designed framesets, with IDENTICAL GEOMETRY, IDENTICAL DRIVETRAINS, IDENTICAL COCKPITS, and IDENTICAL WHEELS. Other than the 1.5 lbs difference in weight between the two framesets, our test riders reported having a very difficult time differentiating between the ride quality of the two bikes when using wide tires at appropriate pressures for gravel riding.

Overall lesson: I agree that companies can design carbon frames with a bit more vibration dampening, while keeping stiffness in the right places, and also keeping them very light compared to metal frames. That said, a rigid frame accounts for a fraction of the overall ride comfort, especially when paired with identical carbon forks and wide tires at low pressures. I give "Steve B." some credit for his Cervelo data link (https://www.cervelo.com/en/ride-quality) which quantifies how much of this compliance comes from the frame on a non-suspension bicycle (hint: an astonishingly small amount). We can all continue to trade anecdotal stories, but at the end of the day the evidence available shows us that rigid framesets (i.e. without suspension) are not the most important component of "ride comfort". It is one of many factors.

[FYI: Thanks for this thread! I'm also looking into my next frameset, since my current gravel/commuting frame was damaged in an accident. It will probably be aluminum for its balance of relatively low cost (compared to carbon) and relatively low weight (compared to steel)]

Last edited by TrackSmart; 02-12-20 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For TrackSmart:
Old 02-20-20, 09:32 AM
Lindarets

Bikes: J.Guillem Atalaya Gravel, Orient All-Road, & Tomir mountain

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Some of the arguments in this thread need a scientific control group!
Just heard Josh Portner of Silca (formerly of Zipp) talking about the Cargo Cult of Stiffness. Interesting listen as always, stiffness comes in at ~54m. Spoiler: it sounds like their testing suggests that flexier -within reason- frames climb faster. Who knew?

Not on the site yet but "Granola and Cargo Cults" is in the feed now.
https://marginalgainspodcast.cc/
Old 02-20-20, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Wow, how tall are you? I am 6'3" and the XL fits me fine. I use a 12cm stem. Because I also ride the bike on the road, partially for commuting and also for getting to different trails in the rural landscape, I like the fact that it feels sort of fast like my road bikes. As for noting bigger than 40mm tires... I don't know, I run 38s regularly. I guess if I were riding in a particularly rocky area, like when I lived in northern Utah, I could see the benefit of larger tires. I was a bit torn between the Ritchey and the Ibis Haka, which can take larger tires and even 650b but had wanted another Ritchey for some time. I have had a Road Logic which is a great bike and in the very early 1980s, i rode on of his early mountain bikes, so I had some history with the brand. Also the same with Ibis so it was a bit of a toss up.
6'5. A frame with 650mm stack and 405-410mm of reach works great with a 90-100mm stem. These have been what my last 2 gravel bikes were.
The Outback's 596mm stack in the largest size just wouldnt be enough for me to be comfortable for long rides and a lot of wonky compromise, starting with a goofy high angle stem, would need to be used for me.

As for tire clearance, there are just so many great tires that are 40-43mm wide that its a shame to cut the clearance off at 40mm. It eliminates a lot of excellent gravel tires and it isnt necessary. There are plenty of ways to use traditional frame joining(what Ritchey bikes use) and still clear larger tires, especially since the chainstays are 437mm long.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 02-20-20 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-20-20, 01:07 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Some of the arguments in this thread need a scientific control group! There is so much that can alter the perceived ride quality of a bike that has nothing to do with frame material, so comparing completely different bikes doesn't let us isolate frame material differences. SEE BELOW for a Niner RLT 9 Carbon vs Aluminum comparison:

** https://gravelcyclist.com/videos/nin...h-shimano-grx/

This is still a small sample size, but is better than most of the apples-to-oranges-to-coconuts comparisons being made here among different bikes. Our two test riders have two well-designed framesets, with IDENTICAL GEOMETRY, IDENTICAL DRIVETRAINS, IDENTICAL COCKPITS, and IDENTICAL WHEELS. Other than the 1.5 lbs difference in weight between the two framesets, our test riders reported having a very difficult time differentiating between the ride quality of the two bikes when using wide tires at appropriate pressures for gravel riding.

Overall lesson: I agree that companies can design carbon frames with a bit more vibration dampening, while keeping stiffness in the right places, and also keeping them very light compared to metal frames. That said, a rigid frame accounts for a fraction of the overall ride comfort, especially when paired with identical carbon forks and wide tires at low pressures. I give "Steve B." some credit for his Cervelo data link (https://www.cervelo.com/en/ride-quality) which quantifies how much of this compliance comes from the frame on a non-suspension bicycle (hint: an astonishingly small amount). We can all continue to trade anecdotal stories, but at the end of the day the evidence available shows us that rigid framesets (i.e. without suspension) are not the most important component of "ride comfort". It is one of many factors.

[FYI: Thanks for this thread! I'm also looking into my next frameset, since my current gravel/commuting frame was damaged in an accident. It will probably be aluminum for its balance of relatively low cost (compared to carbon) and relatively low weight (compared to steel)]
this. My caadx and superx with similar geometries and the same wheels ride very similarly. Especially when used with 38mm+ tires at 30psi. I trust cannondale to make aluminum frames with tailored ride quality. Aluminum frames in general nowadays are so good with shaping and tube sizing/butting to mimic carbon layups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.