Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How bad is Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss in the mud?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 09:03 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

The Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss seems like a decent all around gravel tire but in reviews it's mentioned it's not great in wetter sloppy conditions? But that's such a vague statement. Is it unrideable in muddly conditions? what level of mud? there's some level of mud where you slide around no matter what.
Old 02-14-20, 12:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I think they are just stating the obvious to cover all bases. I don’t ride them much in mud, but yeah they don’t have too much bite until you really lean them over. A lot of what I pay attention to is breakaway characteristics. These are going to be hard to ride sideways in mud, but they are not going to go down nearly as fast as a slick. Slicks let go fast and hard.

It also depends on width. Dedicated mud tires are typically ~30mm – because you want to dig down and to go where the tire is pointed. Wider tires have too much float to do this. My worst mud tire is a 60mm slick – Just hitting a damp spot on a dry day is like going from dirt to ice. These tires obviously are not that bad (assuming a more moderate size).
Old 02-14-20, 12:35 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I think they are just stating the obvious to cover all bases. I don’t ride them much in mud, but yeah they don’t have too much bite until you really lean them over. A lot of what I pay attention to is breakaway characteristics. These are going to be hard to ride sideways in mud, but they are not going to go down nearly as fast as a slick. Slicks let go fast and hard.

It also depends on width. Dedicated mud tires are typically ~30mm – because you want to dig down and to go where the tire is pointed. Wider tires have too much float to do this. My worst mud tire is a 60mm slick – Just hitting a damp spot on a dry day is like going from dirt to ice. These tires obviously are not that bad (assuming a more moderate size).
my most frequent gravel route has some sections that tend to get muddy but it's maybe 10% (if that) of the 20 mile route. for my gravel bike, unless I'm doing some road riding I rarely run anything narrower than 40mm. I generally like gravel tires that are at least okay in most conditions. They don't have to be great in mud. Just functional. I have wtb resolutes 42 right now which I like but I'm doing DK this year and, from what I've read, wtb's don't have the reputation of have great sidewall protection. So I'm looking for a tire that's generally good and will be work well for DK. The Pathfinder seems popular but seems if I end up having to ride in more mud it's not going to be great.