Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Those who own a BMC mc or mcd - carrying capacity?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 03:20 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I'm again considering getting a BMC MCD. This bike will be used for long day rides on a mix of horrible pavement and gravel roads. I will also want to use it for some bikepacking trips. Mike Varley has said himself this is not a touring frame. OK, I get that the tubeset is designed for the ride, not a lot of weight. I am 6' tall and would take the 58 if I got the rim brake version (sometimes I consider this) or the 53 in the MCD. I weigh between 210 and 215.

I know there's at least a handful of BMC owners here. How much weight would you feel comfortable packing up on your mc or mcd?

My "safe" alternative is to get a Kona Sutra. I've been riding a Surly DT for the past five years, so I have a pretty good idea of what it's like riding a touring frame for general riding without a load.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 02-14-20, 05:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
I'm again considering getting a BMC MCD. This bike will be used for long day rides on a mix of horrible pavement and gravel roads. I will also want to use it for some bikepacking trips. Mike Varley has said himself this is not a touring frame. OK, I get that the tubeset is designed for the ride, not a lot of weight. I am 6' tall and would take the 58 if I got the rim brake version (sometimes I consider this) or the 53 in the MCD. I weigh between 210 and 215.

I know there's at least a handful of BMC owners here. How much weight would you feel comfortable packing up on your mc or mcd?

My "safe" alternative is to get a Kona Sutra. I've been riding a Surly DT for the past five years, so I have a pretty good idea of what it's like riding a touring frame for general riding without a load.

Thanks for any feedback.
So this, like most bike questions, is an 'it depends'.
a 210# cyclist with 30# of gear is a 240# cyclist(not exactly, but basically).
I have a 65cm rim brake version that I now use for commuting/touring. It is built with slightly thicker tubing due to it not being heat treated. Its 9/6/9 instead of 8/5/8 like all the smaller frames. So while the thicker tubing will be stiffer, I am also 235#, so it sorta offsets in a way.

I have a rear rack on all the time and have a front rack that I can put on as needed. I've ridden it with probably 20# on the back and dont find it to be noodly or 'tail wagging'. The front rack is stable(for me) due to HTA and fork rake giving it a nice neutral trail(for me). The fork certainly isnt thin gauge tubing and has handled a rack plus 2 rear panniers just fine. The MCD fork has a beefed up left blade due to the disc- I think itll be plenty stiff.

My favorite setup for multiday riding is front and rear rack with rear panniers mounted up front and a compression dry bag attached to the top of the rear rack. it's what I used on my old touring bike for warm weather multiday camping trips and works fine on this frame.

Yes, 8/5/8 tubing is thinner than 9/6/9 and more flexible, but the triangle of a 53 MCD is significantly smaller than my triangle and the frame will be as stiff or maybe stiffer, even with the thinner tubing.

So me at 235#, plus 30# of gear(split between front and rear), and a larger triangle frame isnt an issue when it comes to ride quality. I feel in control, the bike goes where I want, and it doesnt feel too flexible. I do have a triple and spin more than mash when I have gear on the bike though, if that matters to how your ride.
Old 02-14-20, 08:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Best bet is to check with Mike Varley, don’t you think? He designed the bikes and sells them, and also seems to be a pretty responsive person.
Old 02-14-20, 09:22 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I did check with Mike. He wouldn't commit to an answer. Can you blame him? Think about it. Think about all the things some idiot could say on the internet after Mike tells him or her how much weight he thinks would be OK to put on the bike.
Old 02-15-20, 11:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
I did check with Mike. He wouldn't commit to an answer. Can you blame him? Think about it. Think about all the things some idiot could say on the internet after Mike tells him or her how much weight he thinks would be OK to put on the bike.
Exactly. It wasnt designed as a touring frame, so it's in his best interest to hedge on the conservative side and specify that it isnt a touring frame.

...but that doesnt mean it cant competently handle racks and gear.