Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Wisconsin, USA!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 10:16 PM
brandonjclark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm new to this forum (first post) and I'd like to introduce myself. First of all, I'm a noob cyclist as I've only been cycling seriously for around 4 years. Second, I'm sad that I missed out on ALL of these years of cycling at age 41 (nearly 42). I mean, I rode my bmx and MTB's as a kid just about everywhere. But the first day I grabbed the car keys at age 16 I left bicycling behind. HOW STUPID OF ME!

So, I said I'm a serious cyclist but that's all relative. On Strava I see some people putting down 10k miles or more a year. I'm not THAT serious, but I do love riding as much as possible. I have a large family to support with five kids and time really is the barrier. That said, I put down around 2.5k miles since last June and did my first century ride in September. Since the weather here in Wisconsin is pretty cold, I usually get my winter miles in on the trainer (turbo). It's a wheel on trainer and while it's not as nice as the direct drive Wahoo Kickr the Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 has been my baby for the last four months and helped me ride when the weather was just too cold or snowy.

My story of how I got back into bicycling isn't probably very different than some but to me it was divine. I was walking my dog one day, being FAT and saw my neighbor throwing out an old Trek flatbar 10-speed. I paused when I saw it. Wait a minute, yes! It was the exact bike I had as a kid! I asked him if I could take it home with me and he said he was throwing it out anyways so I could have it. He explained it belonged to his son who was around my age now and that he'd maintained it all of those years.

So, I lubed the chain and took it for a ride the next day. "Lynda! Lynda! I just rode five miles! Can you believe it," I asked? I stumbled into the house looking as wet as I would had I stepped out of pool, just dripping with sweat! (HAHA). At the time I weight 295lbs! STUNNING! I was an alcoholic and very depressed. Anyways, that old Trek flatbar didn't last long. It was actually quite trashed despite my old neighbor telling me he maintained it. The chain had a kink and the LBS told me they didn't think it was worth investing any money into it (it's a Trek store, what do you expect?) so I decided on buying a new bike just one month after pulling the old Trek from the garbage pile. I talked to the local Trek store and they had me settle on a Trek 7.2fx. I've managed to put around 3.5k miles on it and just changed the BB last week. HOLY COW, what a difference it made. The thing rides like new!

Well, it's been four years since that day I found the old bike in the neighbor's garbage and I'm nearly back to my fighting weight. Now, I took the year before last off due to a motorcycle ankle injury and put some weight on, but this last year I've put on my most miles ever and reclaimed some fitness. After my century ride in September I was determined not to lose my gains over winter like I had the first two years and decided to buy a trainer, as I said. However, I'm outgrowing the Trek 7.2fx now. But that is another story....

So, that's me in a nutshell. Hello and thank you for welcoming me to your community!

*Oh yeah, I'm taking part in the Milwaukee Ride for the Arts ride in April as well as participating in my first race, the Race The Lake around Lake Winnebago this August. Wish me luck!

~Brandon
Old 02-22-20, 07:50 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Good story.
Thank your dog for walking you past the discarded bike.

The measure of your cycling success will be how fit you feel at retirement time in a couple of decades. That's when you want to be healthy enough to enjoy getting up every day.

Ride On.

Old 02-22-20, 08:43 AM
brandonjclark

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Good story.
Thank your dog for walking you past the discarded bike.

The measure of your cycling success will be how fit you feel at retirement time in a couple of decades. That's when you want to be healthy enough to enjoy getting up every day.

Ride On.

Thank you!
Old 02-22-20, 08:44 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Hello Wisconsin ! Welcome, nice intro to BF's, there's a good community here and a section devoted to weight loss and lifestyle changes through cycling.
Old 02-22-20, 05:02 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Welcome! I’m from Illinois and have ridden many times in the great state of Wisconsin.

Old 02-28-20, 02:29 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the fair seasons, I'll ride up to Milwaukee from Chicago. A pretty dang nice trip! There is camping at the IL state line, and the path is mostly paved once you hit the WI side of the ride! I really enjoy riding WI! Welcome!
Old 03-02-20, 07:01 PM
Scootr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great story!

Thanks for sharing! I am a newbie here and to cycling regularly. I'm also from Milwaukee Wisconsin. I am in the middle of my weight loss / regain my health journey. I'm at 277lbs now from an all time high of 320lbs. 220 is the goal but I'm actually enjoying the journey thanks to cycling.
​​
Old 03-08-20, 10:16 AM
T.W.O.
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Welcome! I am planning on riding the Cream City Cycling Club Century Ride on August 30th, starting out of East Troy, WI. You might want to check out the club and the ride. Cheers, Steve
Old 03-08-20, 10:56 AM
Scootr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T.W.O.
Welcome! I am planning on riding the Cream City Cycling Club Century Ride on August 30th, starting out of East Troy, WI. You might want to check out the club and the ride. Cheers, Steve
I'm interested! Thanks
Old 03-08-20, 12:37 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Welcome!
Old 03-22-20, 02:15 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Welcome!
Old 03-23-20, 04:26 PM
nhatt97

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome

Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-23-20, 05:13 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
Welcome! You have some absolutely beautiful riding in the SW part of your state!