Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Where do you work?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Where do you work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 12:44 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Hollywood Racks . com sounds like it would be something else entirely.
I spoke with the owner of Blackbottoms shorts (cycle wear) at the show and apparently they get the same kind of mis-guided "customers" looking at their site for something else entirely!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-17-14, 12:53 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
After having discovered sex and drugs and rock-n-roll in the early 70s, I barely graduated from high school. Interestingly, one of the courses I had to make up in summer school was gym. It was about the last time I was physically active before taking up cycling a few years back.

After a couple of decades in IT, these days I work as a clerk at the front desk (Circulation) of a neighborhood branch public library, starting just after lunch and working until closing. It's essentially a customer service position.

I've had patrons stop me in the street to return books and DVDs. Fortunately, there's usually room in the panniers. I've also ridden a few blocks with patrons on their way to the library.

OTOH, while the library is in a borderline area, my commute takes me through what can only be described as da 'hood. I won't stop there. I've been offered five bags for my bike. Although, that was for my now-retired bright yellow full-Sora Trek. My bare Ti full-DuraAce Litespeed has never attracted any attention.
Old 01-17-14, 01:37 PM
thelazywon

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R340, 2014 Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I arbitrate medical necessity and Healthcare Acquired Conditions with Medicare and Insurance companies on behalf of the hospital and patient. Before that I was a Neuro ICU RN, Emergency RN, Paramedic, and Light Infantry Medic occasionally tasked out to the Sniper platoon. My commute is 20 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
medical_center_front.jpg (73.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-17-14, 01:42 PM
PIPO_VV

Bikes: Dogma 60.1 SuperSix Evo HM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a US Army Warrant Officer. Have served for 14 years and plan on doing 11 more. I mainly ride 20-25 miles during my lunch time.
Old 01-17-14, 02:31 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another fed.
Old 01-17-14, 02:46 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I love that you've brought people's books and DVDs back to the library for them!

Originally Posted by tsl
After having discovered sex and drugs and rock-n-roll in the early 70s, I barely graduated from high school. Interestingly, one of the courses I had to make up in summer school was gym. It was about the last time I was physically active before taking up cycling a few years back.

After a couple of decades in IT, these days I work as a clerk at the front desk (Circulation) of a neighborhood branch public library, starting just after lunch and working until closing. It's essentially a customer service position.

I've had patrons stop me in the street to return books and DVDs. Fortunately, there's usually room in the panniers. I've also ridden a few blocks with patrons on their way to the library.

OTOH, while the library is in a borderline area, my commute takes me through what can only be described as da 'hood. I won't stop there. I've been offered five bags for my bike. Although, that was for my now-retired bright yellow full-Sora Trek. My bare Ti full-DuraAce Litespeed has never attracted any attention.
Old 01-17-14, 02:53 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a solution architect (sort of a sales engineer/program manager) for a Health IT company in San Francisco (South Beach/SOMA). I have my BS in Computer science. Our office is very bike friendly, with indoor bike storage and a shower for those of use with longer commutes. On an average day there are probably 10-20 bikes in an office of about 100 people. Really nice days might have 30 bikes.

While I think there may be a lot of stereo types about who bike to work and why, I think San Francisco is one of the cities that stereotypes are not true as people with all types of jobs, education levels, and financial situations bike to work for many reasons. I see line cooks at restaurants biking to work, but I also see engineers, startup founders, and executives bike to work in and around San Francisco. I am sure many bike-commuters co-workers think they are odd (particularly those of use with longer commutes) but most people I know seem to think its a good thing, even if they think you are crazy for doing it.
Old 01-17-14, 02:53 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I teach engineering and physics at a community college in a near-ring suburb of Minneapolis. On really cold or snowy days every student I run into asks, "did you bike TODAY?" In my spare time I play jazz guitar on a nylon-string, although I haven't played outside my house in many years.
Old 01-17-14, 02:59 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
I teach engineering and physics at a community college in a near-ring suburb of Minneapolis. On really cold or snowy days every student I run into asks, "did you bike TODAY?" In my spare time I play jazz guitar on a nylon-string, although I haven't played outside my house in many years.
Hopkins is a nice area. Dated a girl who lived there for awhile.
Old 01-17-14, 03:24 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redvette
I've been lurking here for awhile and I haven't seen any threads on the subject. So, I'd like to know where you all work and what your job entails. I got thinking about it since anyone that I talk to believes that if you commute by bike, you don't have an education.
I'm a team lead in the accounting department at an architecture/engineering/urban planning/etc. firm. On the education side, I have a 2-year college diploma, earned part time over 4 years, and am currently working on a bachelor's degree in the same field.

If there was a physical quesiton of where, it's a downtown office, in a pleasant historic building. Working for architects is awesome, we get some pretty sweet digs.
Old 01-17-14, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
secure undisclosed location On a need to know basis ..
Old 01-17-14, 03:29 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by neil
I'm a team lead in the accounting department at an architecture/engineering/urban planning/etc. firm. On the education side, I have a 2-year college diploma, earned part time over 4 years, and am currently working on a bachelor's degree in the same field.

If there was a physical quesiton of where, it's a downtown office, in a pleasant historic building. Working for architects is awesome, we get some pretty sweet digs.
Opposite for me. Large factory and the priority is on the manufacturing side. Carpet is from the 60's furniture is all a mishmash. Some of the higher ups have slightly nicer furnishings and the sales department has slightly nicer carpeting (since customers see it). I have windows though so it's not all bad.
Old 01-17-14, 03:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
I just started working as a consultant at a tech company, doing programmer-type stuff. It's 60-odd miles from home, so they're letting me work from home four days a week. Two hours each way, one day a week. I can't complain. I can take the train, which beats the pants off driving.

Picture at this link

It's at the old American Standard toilet factory! This is in Hamilton, NJ, near Trenton. "Trenton makes. The world takes."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-17-14, 03:46 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by noglider
I just started working as a consultant at a tech company, doing programmer-type stuff. It's 60-odd miles from home, so they're letting me work from home four days a week. Two hours each way, one day a week. I can't complain. I can take the train, which beats the pants off driving.

Picture at this link

It's at the old American Standard toilet factory! This is in Hamilton, NJ, near Trenton. "Trenton makes. The world takes."
That place is huge. I'm assuming there is more than one business located there?
Old 01-17-14, 03:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
That place is huge. I'm assuming there is more than one business located there?
Yes, there are very many businesses there.

Interestingly, the only highway that runs by it is I-295, which is a relatively new Interstate. So in the old days, I guess the factory workers were expected to ride by train. The train is a short walk. Driving there takes a long time because of the lack of highways.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-17-14, 04:02 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm the team lead for a bunch of java programmers. We write GIS software for telecommunications companies such as AT&T to do "outside plant" network design and analysis.
Old 01-17-14, 04:08 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I managed to graduate from high school by "majoring" in Band and Shop. (sex and drugs and John Phillip Sousa?- The Sousa actually prevented the sex, which led to the drugs. )

After a stint in the military, I had the good fortune to be able to do high school over at a community college, eventually transferring to, and getting a degree from a state university.
Old 01-17-14, 04:38 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 607 Posts
Quality assurance at a small defense contractor.
Old 01-17-14, 04:40 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I work for a bulk food distributor, in the warehouse. I am very fortunate since I can wheel my bike to my desk and keep it there. I am the only commuter of about 250 people that are employed at my location.
Old 01-17-14, 05:14 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in software, and have a bachelor's and master's (in engineering).

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Hey! I have one of those!
Me too, I have an F1B although one of my straps broke recently. Need to order another.
Old 01-17-14, 05:14 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Quality assurance at a small defense contractor.
Did they notice any Cobalt 60 missing...?
Old 01-17-14, 05:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by redvette
I've been lurking here for awhile and I haven't seen any threads on the subject. So, I'd like to know where you all work and what your job entails. I got thinking about it since anyone that I talk to believes that if you commute by bike, you don't have an education. I'll start it off...
Since you asked, to support your contention that educated people cycle-commute, I'm a decades-long, year-round, cycle-commuting pathologist at a suburban Boston hospital, with an MD degree and board-certified in four specialties. I do admit that many at work call me crazy, but I’ve also been called a saint.

My hospital is an ideal destination for a cycle commuter. I bring the bike inside near my office, and have a place to hang my cycling clothes and a table fan to dry them off. For the most part I wear surgical scrubs all day so I don't necessarily have to clean off on arrival (I shower at home before the ride). I do have shower facilities though, as well as a coffee shop and cafeteria on site. Finally, almost all my personal service needs like barber shop, dentist, dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance, or a short hop on the bike.
Old 01-17-14, 05:30 PM
buzzbee

Bikes: 33yr old mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in computer networking (large company) in hardware engineering
BSEE and MSEE degrees are part of my 'edjubication'
Old 01-17-14, 05:50 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After many jobs in the service industries I finally went back to school at age 34, finishing a BA-Ed. I'm currently teaching EFL at an elementary school in Taiwan after teaching middle and high school for many years in Houston, TX.
Old 01-17-14, 05:56 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Me dum wit no edukation either . . . straight D & F hi skool stoodent ~ After such a horrific experience I swore off education forever. Now work in a niche, non-profit who researches/makes educational and adaptive products for blind or impaired individuals. I know braille and use it to transcribe books, tests, other material, and create the tactile artwork for that material. I am proud that I was an integral part of a new printing technique that is revolutionizing the industry
A great job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.