Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What spacers for 10 speed MTB cassette on 11 speed hub?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What spacers for 10 speed MTB cassette on 11 speed hub?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 07:28 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's just the chain running rough through the lower jockey. It's 11 speed chain it's not new but under 500 miles

Originally Posted by trailangel
What is that noise??
Is your chain bend?
new chain?
10 sp chain?
Old 12-18-18, 07:55 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
11 speed mtb RD, 11 speed chain.

10 speed cassette

Hmmm.

What shifter are we working with?

How extended is the RD when in big/big?
Old 12-18-18, 08:14 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I tried it with an 11 speed cassette and same problem.

Shifter is SLX M7000 11 speed shifter.

RD is very extended bu that's to be expected its a 36T big cog

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
11 speed mtb RD, 11 speed chain.

10 speed cassette

Hmmm.

What shifter are we working with?

How extended is the RD when in big/big?
Old 12-18-18, 09:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I'd try a 1x chainring as others have suggested, if it's still dropping, I'd try moving one of those crank spacers over to the drive side.
Old 12-19-18, 06:43 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
This gets more interesting all the time. Why are you using a 10 speed cassette if the shifter is 11 speed? I can't think of a situation where that would work properly.

Also, that chain has some weird bends in it.
Old 12-19-18, 07:59 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No. 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed MTB RD isnt a problem. Lots of threads how they work together. Besides tried it with a 11 speed wheel and had same problems.

hmmm. Where. Did you see the chain bends? In the video or the pictures?

Does the chainline look correct? Ithink thats my main focus here. The crankset manual specifixally says dont use with 130mm rear spaced hub.
Originally Posted by dsaul
This gets more interesting all the time. Why are you using a 10 speed cassette if the shifter is 11 speed? I can't think of a situation where that would work properly.

Old 12-19-18, 08:30 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
In terms of the chainline, I don't know why you can't wrap your head around the fact that the narrower rear wheel makes the chainline from the small cog to the large chainring "less" extreme than it would be with a 135mm wheel. It makes it more extreme to the large cog, but thats not the issue you've been describing. You say the problem is the chain coming off the OUTSIDE of the chainring when on the smallest cog.

In terms of the shifting:

Shimano 10 speed MTB shifter pull of 3.4mm x RD ratio of 1.2 = 4.08mm movement per shift
Shimano 11 speed MTB shifter pull of 3.6mm x RD ratio of 1.1 = 3.96mm movement per shift

.12mm difference per shift equals 1.2mm over 10 shifts. It probably works, but its going to have some misalignment on one end of the cassette.

The real question is, what makes you want to use a 10 speed cassette with an otherwise complete 11 speed system?
Old 12-19-18, 10:08 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by raria
No. 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed MTB RD isnt a problem. Lots of threads how they work together. Besides tried it with a 11 speed wheel and had same problems.

hmmm. Where. Did you see the chain bends? In the video or the pictures?

Does the chainline look correct? Ithink thats my main focus here. The crankset manual specifixally says dont use with 130mm rear spaced hub.

Tough to guess chainline from photos of even numbered drivetrains. If you had a 1x chainring on and took pics in the 5 and 6 cog, we could have a guess at chainline.

Another thing to consider is that an 11sp Shimano MTB cassette will sit inboard of a 10sp MTB or 11 speed road cassrtte. Would have a minimum of 40t big cog to get one that does so, however.

Have you tried it with the clutch off?
Old 12-19-18, 10:19 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Also, it seems like lower pulley chain noise *might* be reduced with a longer chain. Set it up so that chain is almost rubbing upper pulley with RD in small cog. This will give the longest effective chainstay distance between chainring and lower pulley.

It's a tough setup as that RD is designed with longer chainstays and smaller chainrings in mind.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-19-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 11:07 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is turning into a Saga like Gone With the Wind

Raleigh's help desk was very useful.

They said the crankset they paired with teh bike has a 43.5mm chain line.

But the crankset I had was 46mm chain line. Could that be the issue?

As God as my witness, I shall never buy a Cyclocross bike again!
Old 12-19-18, 01:57 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Measure your chainline
Old 12-19-18, 07:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
As God as my witness, I shall never buy a Cyclocross bike again!
it isnt the bike category fault.
you have hodgepodged together a bike and with that decision comes issues. Its hardly unique- its seemingly kinda common.

43.5mm chainline is a road crankset. Makes sense, since its 130mm spacing in back.

regardless, the crank you have isnt meant to run 1x. Get a 1x chainring(called narrow wide) that fits your crank's bcd and see if the small ring of your current crank is close enough to 43.5mm to make it work.
or sell that crank and buy one that is meant to be used with the frame you bought.

and I still haven't seen you say why you have a 10sp cassette with all this. Seems odd.
Old 12-21-18, 10:04 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
God it was complicated

It was a number of things interplaying:

1) Turns out the 114 link chain I bought wasn't 114 links it was 110 links
2) Turns out the clutch on the RD was too tight

Lets just say JensonUSA isn't getting my business in the future. I'm almost certain they sold me returned parts.

Everything works fine now. No need to buy new cranks or do anything special, just had to get the existing parts to behave how they were supposed to.

The "culprit" is that you are using a double crankset without a derailleur. You can't just stick the chain on one of the chainrings and call it a 1x. You need to take off those chainrings and put on a chainring that was designed for 1x use.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
you have hodgepodged together a bike and with that decision comes issues. Its hardly unique- its seemingly kinda common.
Originally Posted by Elvo
Chain might be too long, FD high limit screw might need adjustment, FD angle might need adjustment
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
You need to adjust your rear derailleur's high limit screw.
Old 12-22-18, 08:11 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
It was a number of things interplaying:

1) Turns out the 114 link chain I bought wasn't 114 links it was 110 links
2) Turns out the clutch on the RD was too tight

Lets just say JensonUSA isn't getting my business in the future. I'm almost certain they sold me returned parts.

Everything works fine now. No need to buy new cranks or do anything special, just had to get the existing parts to behave how they were supposed to.
Kudos for your unique learning experience. A couple stray observations...

Buy a steel machinist rule: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010IR0CGG..._IlKhCbJW5WF0K

Did you use a different chain after replacing the one you bought from Jenson? I hadn't followed this thread but the first 11 speed chain I bought had a stuck link, I wonder if this was the issue more then not having 114 links. My chain was brand new Shimano. It took the tech guys a bit of headscratching to figure that out.

It makes no sense that a longer chain and looser RD clutch will stop the chain from falling off the front.

You should buy a NW ring as others have noted.

I'll look at your other thread again, but why not an 11 speed cassette!? You know what I would do? Why not get crazy and get the 11 speed 11-40, drop the 40t cog, then rig in a 14t cog. That would be sweet.
Old 12-22-18, 06:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Operator Error
Old 12-23-18, 09:08 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Big Shout out to JensonUSA!

I reached out to JensonUSA and told them both products they sold were clearly returned items (the 114 link chain only had 108 links). To their credit they let me keep the items (chain and RD) and refunded my money. Whilst I'm not happy because they wasted my time, at least they tried to make it better so I'll give them another chance.

Originally Posted by trailangel
Operator Error
How?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'd try a 1x chainring as others have suggested, if it's still dropping, I'd try moving one of those crank spacers over to the drive side.
It's fine now, no dropping at all. I talked to some serious MTB type and they saw no need for a dedicated 1 x 11 chainring UNLESS I did some serious single track (i.e. bumpy rides).

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
'll look at your other thread again, but why not an 11 speed cassette!? .
The SLX M7000 is designed for 10 or 11 speed cassettes. For the former you just have two clicks for the largest cog. It works flawlessly. As to why I didn't go 11 speed to start off with, a high quality 11-36 10 speed cassette can be had for $20 but the 11-42 11 speed cassettes are 3 times + and I wasn't sure I need a that big cog at the back (as yet).

It was your last point that got me thinking about chain length. Thanks! I used the standard chain length calculator that said I needed a chain of 56 inches. So I bought a 114 link chain (57 inches). But when I measured it, it was only 54 inches.
Old 12-23-18, 10:32 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yeah, that pulley noise made me think chain too short. That last pic in post 22 points to chain too short also, assuming it's in the 4th or 5th cog, RD shouldn't be that extended in that position. I'm surprised short chain would affect chain drop that much. I suppose it make a bit of sense, as the RD extends, it's pushing the chain down as much as it's pulling it back.
Old 12-23-18, 10:33 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I would shift one of the spacers to the drive side to offset the crank outboard slightly more. A narrow/wide chain ring would help also. You have a pretty extreme chainline in the large front/small rear combo, if the chain stays are short, that will make the problem slightly worse.

I have a hybid that was 1x9, I ran a narrow/wide single front ring, centered on the middle of the cassette, it is a long stay bike that would still occasionally drop the chain on very bumpy terrain in the big/small combo.