Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- May 29/30

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 11:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Last weekend of May!! Tell us all about your cycling recently. Or other sports.
Old 05-29-20, 11:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A brief update ...

I've been busy during the shutdown. I'm still working full time from home and I decided to take 2 university courses toward my Master's degree this semester instead of my usual 1 course. Not the best decision but brings me that much closer to the goal. So, I've been up to my eyeballs in research papers. But I've got one more paper, which I'm working on right now, and one final exam ... and then the semester is done!!!! It's finished on June 12. Then next semester (starts July 13) I have one course, and I'm finished the degree!! Can't wait!! Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Rowan has pretty much plateaued. He fatigues very easily, walks unsteadily with his left leg, and struggles with short term memory, to name a few things. But he enjoys working in our garden. He works at it a bit, then rests, then works at it a bit more. We've had some lovely fruit and veggies from the garden!! We get out for walks or short bicycle rides now and then too which is nice. Plus we've been Zwifting.

We adopted a little black cat from a shelter a couple months ago, just before the shutdown. He's been wonderful ... kept us amused! His name at the shelter was Rhody and we decided to keep that name. Say it with bicycles in mind ... specifically road bicycles.

Both Rowan and I will be going for surgeries soon which will slow us down a bit. Rowan's is a hernia surgery at the end of June and mine is a deviated septum surgery at the beginning of July. Fortunately, I guess, we're about to go into winter. Rest time.

Meanwhile, we're thinking of Zwifting later today because it has been quite windy out there. Wind + Rowan's balance issues don't go well together. But thank goodness for Zwift!!

Likes For Machka:
Old 05-30-20, 10:42 AM
StargazeCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Last weekend of May!! Tell us all about your cycling recently. Or other sports.
Joined some kind of group ride this morning. It was a big group, and I knew nobody. There was no pace line (I suppose they never do that). The group soon broke up, stretching many kilometers, with people riding singly or in small groups, and nobody except me tried to draft. I followed them for the first 50 km with no problem. It turned out there was another group riding the same road, and I followed the wrong group and took the wrong turn. The second group was so slow that I dropped them after a few km, and then realized there was no more people in front... At least wit GPS I had no problem finding my way, so another 10km to a village for much needed lunch, and then 26km home, battling strong headwind.

Total mileage: 90km
Old 05-30-20, 12:14 PM
FujiQG7

Bikes: 2021 Ridley Helium SLX Disc, 2018 Diamondback Century 6C, 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 15 Posts
Rode just over 70 miles last two days. Trying to hit 1,000 miles since we've had the stay at home order before May is over.
Old 05-30-20, 04:45 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
2 x rides this weekend. 64 miles yesterday and 56 today. Same coffee stop destination, today was busier than yesterday. Both days were hot, but the cafe was serving iced coffee. My lockdown training is paying off as I felt good on both rides.
Old 05-30-20, 06:28 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiQG7
Rode just over 70 miles last two days. Trying to hit 1,000 miles since we've had the stay at home order before May is over.
Did 80 miles in the last two days.
Old 05-31-20, 08:35 PM
slowgo

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Raleigh Redux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 25 Posts
Able to do two rides in my hometown of Gainesville, Florida over the weekend. Did a hilly 23 miler on Saturday with some beautiful tree hammock roads and 25 miles on Sunday down the Hawthorne Trail with my sister in law who is just getting into riding. I forgot how nice MUP riding can be.
Old 05-31-20, 10:13 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
89.7 miles. Checked out a couple of roads I hadn’t been on heading for Castroville. Took the coastal route up to Watsonville and then back to Hollister. Overcast all day. Very pleasant day to ride.

Old 06-01-20, 02:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
30 miles Friday, 35 Saturday. 100 winks Sunday -- snoozed most of the day. Beautiful spring weather. Other than the allergies, I can't complain.
Old 06-01-20, 07:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
I did a 45k ride (800m of total elevation) Saturday morning in the national park (Parc de la Gatineau) close to where I live. It re-opened last month & but only to cyclists and walkers. Life is SO good without cars & motorcycles. I wish it would be like that year-round.

Yesterday was raining and my pavement princess does not go out when it's not dry!

Last edited by eduskator; 06-01-20 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Took a 25 mile ride mostly through Philly that included a lovely, gravel MUP along a trout stream.

Sunday I rode around the city to look at the aftermath of the looting. While the place was not hit Saturday, it decided to take no chances going forward.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-01-20, 08:32 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
Saturday was an easy 20 miles.

Sunday I took a new route down to the Mohawk Valley and up the other side, total was 100k.

Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-01-20, 11:51 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This was kind of a weird week. Thursday I knew I would be cutting it close with an expected storm in the afternoon. I should have done my usual Davis Is. evening ride since it was closer to home. However, I thought I would still have enough time if I went into the wind first to Picnic Is. WRONG! The wind was already killing me heading out and I expected to get a good tailwind back. The storm caused the wind to shift and I got it in the face the whole way. It was blowing so hard I turned a corner and almost came to a stand still. Then the rain came down in buckets. I got home completely soaked. When I went to check my bike the next day I heard water sloshing around in the frame. I had to take off the seat post and hang it up to let the water pour out. 32 miles of agony. Saturday, a few miles from home, I almost got creamed by a car that ran a yield sign at full speed. A few blocks latter I stop at a light. A street person began to cross over in my direction. As he was walking towards me he kept yelling "this is the second time they've done this". He was wearing dirty clothes and a filthy surgical mask (I think it had blood on it too). He was making a bee line for me so I ran the red light and got the heck out of there. This was all in the first 4 miles of my journey. Anyhow, the rest of the 38 miles was an uneventful trip around S. Tampa. Sunday was relatively peaceful 44 miles on the Courtney Campbell trail - Phillippe Park route. Hotter than heck already.
Old 06-01-20, 04:40 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
Did my Sunday ride into Ventura from my home and did a brief tour of downtown. Total of 33 miles nice ride
Old 06-01-20, 05:22 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
After a long hiatus from road cycling, I went out on a local ride around the hometown and got lost for a while. Really only did 20 miles but found and explored the new developments in the area. The best part is that the streets were empty and it was a peaceful Sunday morning.
Old 06-01-20, 08:10 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great cycling weekend. 52 miles on Saturday and 35 on Sunday.