Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Critique my position

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Critique my position

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 11:18 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Critique my position

I’m a corona-rider who started biking regularly around late April. I am 5’8” with 31.5”-32” cycling inseam, riding a Lemond Tourmalet with 50cm c-t and 51cm top tube:

wife says I look like a circus bear on the bike. But here is the problem- I feel very stretched out on this bike. I feel like I need to move down to something like a 48 cm. The saddle is at maybe one hair behind KOPS position. The stem is about 70mm.
Since this pic was taken I moved the seat forward so that I am at about 0.75” ahead of KOPS - it feels much better but is it safe to be ahead of KOPS?
Old 06-13-20, 11:28 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Icemilkcoffee

+10 for your wife!

I'd say you need at least a 56cm old school frame but more probably a 58 (not sure about modern sloped TT frames). From the photo, you look like your legs would always be tucked tight and would get very cramped.

You say you started in April but don't say how far you ride.

Are you physically uncomfortable? How do you feel after a long ride. I get being nervous about the position but are there any problems that can be tweaked? If you're reach is bothering you how about a slightly shorter stem?
Old 06-13-20, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea too small , reach short too for a road bike..
Old 06-13-20, 02:58 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I used to be 5' 7", 31" cycling inseam, and a 50 CM Gitane was too small; I never measured the TT. A 54 CM was just right for me, and you have longer legs than I do.

I recommend seeing if you can get a test ride on a 54 or 56. You might feel better immediately. If you don't, you'll probably feel better once your body acclimates to the bigger size.
Old 06-13-20, 03:40 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Too small imo.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 06-13-20, 04:18 PM
wirides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Definitely too small. I agree with all above.
Old 06-13-20, 04:35 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by WGB
From the photo, you look like your legs would always be tucked tight and would get very cramped.
when you say legs would get cramped - do you mean the legs hitting the handlebar? It’s not close to hitting the bars though.

Originally Posted by WGB
Are you physically uncomfortable? How do you feel after a long ride. I get being nervous about the position but are there any problems that can be tweaked? If you're reach is bothering you how about a slightly shorter stem?
i guess the issue is that my neck gets tired from holding up my head. If I keep a flat or slightly arched back then the neck would feel better but there would be too much pressure on the perineum and it would go numb.
Old 06-13-20, 04:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Everyone says the frame is too small but why do I feel the reach is so far away? A larger frame would put the reach even further away. Are you guys saying my hands should be even further out front?
Old 06-13-20, 08:04 PM
wirides

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Do a Google search for proper fit and I think you'll better understand. Perhaps the feeling of being too stretched out is just a lack of familiarity of road positions. Maybe you just prefer something more upright. I always reccomended a professional fit but, in this case, I don't think that will help.
Old 06-14-20, 04:09 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
@icemilkcoffee

when you say legs would get cramped - do you mean the legs hitting the handlebar? It’s not close to hitting the bars though.

It looks like you can't straighten your legs which means they are compressed and can't relax. Also, I just noticed you aren't even seated on the seat but almost behind it. Check out the other photo I randomly grabbed off the net and compare to your ride. perhaps it feels good to ride this way because you haven't tried a larger bike.

Please try and ride something a little larger and see what we mean.

Likes For WGB:
Old 06-14-20, 06:41 PM
icemilkcoffee 

The saddle height is adjusted such that my leg is straight when the peddle is lined up with the seat post, and roughly at KOPS position fore and aft. I am following all the usual guidelines. Including the one about riding with a 'flat back'. This is how the bike looks without me on it:

But I don't seem to see much guidelines about how far your hands should be in front of you. I have trouble envisioning how other 5'8" people are riding 55cm frames. Do you guys all have long arms or what?
Old 06-14-20, 07:48 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I think you're on the borderline for going up one size and/or a slightly longer stem but its not that far out. You have a little bit of seatpost out on a horizontal top tube bike and a little bit of saddle to handlebar drop but its not that dramatic. Some racers would have similar fit except for having a longer stem.

How do you feel when you're in the drops?
A picture or 2 of you in the drops would be good. One with your legs at 9-3 and one with your legs at 6-12.

EDIT: A quick question. Does this bike have 700c wheels or 650c wheels? I'm not quite sure and if it does have 650c wheels then this would be why most people think that its FAR too small.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 06-14-20 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 06-14-20, 09:27 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
How do you feel when you're in the drops?
I’m not on the drops very often. When I am on the ends of the drops closest to my body it doesn’t feel too straining. But the drops behind the brake levers I don’t want to be on more than a minute or two at a time.

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
EDIT: A quick question. Does this bike have 700c wheels or 650c wheels?
700c wheels
Old 06-14-20, 09:47 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I’m a corona-rider who started biking regularly around late April. I am 5’8” with 31.5”-32” cycling inseam, riding a Lemond Tourmalet with 50cm c-t and 51cm top tube:
I'm 5'7" with your 31.5" cycling inseam, so very close to the same. Our shorter upper body means we need a taller bike for our legs, but with a shorter reach for our upper body. The problem with riding too small of a frame is when you adjust the saddle to the proper height, you end up with a huge saddle to bar drop, which many find uncomfortable.

I find 52-54 frames to fit the best depending on the bike, and always end up installing a shorter stem. Some frames even in this size range just won't work for me. (too long or too much s/b drop)

Try some larger frames, especially any with shorter top tube and reach specs. I think you'll be surprised.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 06-14-20 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 09:52 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I’m not on the drops very often. When I am on the ends of the drops closest to my body it doesn’t feel too straining. But the drops behind the brake levers I don’t want to be on more than a minute or two at a time.
700c wheels
OK. Road bikes are about having a low and streamlined riding position and your position in your photo is sitting up pretty high. I definitely wouldn't try to fit you to a smaller bike. You could fit on a one size larger bike yet you can make this bike fit as well.
I think your stem is too short and you could/should change the angle of the bars (bring the tops of the levers and the bottom of the drops closer to horizontal) or even try another set of bars altogether. It usually takes large hands to be really comfortable in the drops close to the levers.

There is an old rule of thumb that when you look down to the front hub the handlebars should be right in line between your eyes and the hub. Its only a rule of thumb yet your bars are WAY behind it and that is a short stem on your bike.

Another issue is centre of gravity on the bike. The bottom bracket (BB) is the centre of gravity on a bike. If you move the seat BACK, then its easier to reach forwards with less weight on your hands/arms/shoulders. I'd try to stretch yourself out both forwards and backwards to find/maintain a good balance on the bike.
Old 06-18-20, 11:34 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Everyone says the frame is too small but why do I feel the reach is so far away? A larger frame would put the reach even further away. Are you guys saying my hands should be even further out front?
Yes. your arms should form a 90° angle with your torso. It's a tiny bike for you. You feel that way because you're not used to riding a road bike. You'll get used to it.
Old 06-25-20, 12:18 PM
bikobkio

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m 5’3” and ride comfortably (and even stretched out depending on how far back I put my seat) with a 48cm top tube. I won’t belabour the point since it’s already been made, but wanted to give you an idea of the size of people who normally ride 48-50cm ish.
Likes For bikobkio: