Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do I want disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 02:00 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Yeah I too find it an advantage that I can without much effort modulate my brakes with one finger to mimic abs braking in the loose stuff. Powerful brakes have saved me from more than one wipeout in the snow when my front tire has locked up but I've been been able to instantly release the brake a bit to regain traction. If I had to have more than one finger on the lever or use significant force to actuate the brake I'd been slower to release and I'd probable have fallen.

I also cannot understand the idea that hydraulic disc brakes are somehow digital or on off. They are not but they do take a bit of practice to learn away from cantilever lever use. I've used hydro's from light road brakes with 160mm rotors to DH brakes with 203mm rotors and never have they ever been been anything other than incredibly precise. I've had a few bad apples but that was years ago and the entriest of entry level brakes used outside their specced environment.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 07-14-20, 03:01 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
This all reminds me of motorcycle brake technology from the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

Early motorcycle disc brakes required four fingers or three strong fingers. Some of this was technological limitations of early disc brakes, with some arguing that the new discs were too powerful compared to the old drum brakes.

In a few years, those four finger hydraulic brakes became two finger brakes, and then even easier to use two finger brakes. Let alone learning a light touch on a tiny hydraulic rear brake pedal on '90s motorcrosser while wearing inflexible heavy leather racing boots.

I also remember cars without power steering and the aftermarket small diameter steering wheels that were available that were sold as "racing equipment only" because they would steer "too quickly" at speed. We've had cars that we can steer with one finger for quite some time now.

And I don't even have to mention how automotive brakes and clutches take much less effort than they did decades prior. Which makes me remember sitting in a freeway traffic jam for 3 hours in the mid '80s in a late '70s CJ5 Jeep with a 3 on the floor and a V8 up front. Creeping along at 1/2 a mile an hour for all that time did my clutch leg in for sure. Nowadays, that wouldn't be quite the same ordeal.
Old 07-14-20, 03:19 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Does hydro fluid ever boil in bike brakes like it can in high performance cars? DOT fluid has wet and dry boiling points. Mineral fluid doesn't absorb water like most DOT fluids do.

Shimano makes brake pads with cooling fins so I assume bike brakes can get pretty hot. Probably need a serious downhill and someone riding the brakes.

Just wonder if there are any stories to tell or if standard practice is to flush fluids before big races.
Old 07-14-20, 06:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
They get hot, but they cool down fast that you'd have to hammer on the brakes & immediately after stopping, touch them in order to feel the severe heat. Being small parts, you want to avoid that sorta intense heat. Small parts a susceptible to warping when cooled by a shock temperature change [water puddle]. Fins help regulate the heat from getting to the extremities of things.
Old 07-14-20, 08:25 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Does hydro fluid ever boil in bike brakes like it can in high performance cars? DOT fluid has wet and dry boiling points. Mineral fluid doesn't absorb water like most DOT fluids do.

Shimano makes brake pads with cooling fins so I assume bike brakes can get pretty hot. Probably need a serious downhill and someone riding the brakes.

Just wonder if there are any stories to tell or if standard practice is to flush fluids before big races.
Yes, I expect if you are on a long steep descent. Mineral oil will boil before dot 5 so would soften the brakes more quickly as they heat. Don't know about to failure though - I live in the Midwest with no big hills or mountains,. Maybe that's why Shimano has cooling fins on the pads and rotors and SRAM doesn't. Don't know about the effectiveness of those find tho
Old 07-15-20, 05:18 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Yes, I expect if you are on a long steep descent. Mineral oil will boil before dot 5 so would soften the brakes more quickly as they heat. Don't know about to failure though - I live in the Midwest with no big hills or mountains,. Maybe that's why Shimano has cooling fins on the pads and rotors and SRAM doesn't. Don't know about the effectiveness of those find tho
The companies that use DOT fluid make this claim - Hayes for example. They claim that the occasional bubble you get in your brake is from the mineral oil bubbling. Every year or so, I "burp" my Shimano brakes by attaching the funnel to the brake lever and flicking the lever while tilting the bike. You get the bubbles out and you are fine to go for a while. Takes all of 5 minutes.

I will say that some of the DOT brakes (Hayes, Hope) are tons more powerful than the Shimano's and also have much better modulation. Not sure if it is the brakes or fluid.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-15-20, 07:39 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I understand that my fingers needed calibrating but never found that to be an advantage which is why I moved away from hydraulics. As for the definition, “modulation” is not what I would call the action of hydraulic brakes. Trying to “regulate by or adjust to a certain measure or proportion“ something that is extremely touch and goes from off to on with very little input is the very opposite of “modulate”. Hydraulics are powerful brakes but that power has no regulation in my experience. I can actuate a cable brake from just a little slowing to full on stopped without having to think about how much lever power I’m putting into the system. I never experienced that with hydraulics.
Maybe you should try a cable brake system on your car. Report back the results.

Again...Bottom line here...Pay attention...rim brakes are going away (unlesss you buy a department store bike), cable disc brakes will soon follow the path of rim brakes. As with any product offered to the consumer...You either lead, follow or fall behind.
Old 07-15-20, 08:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I fully believe that disc brakes are the way to go. However as a mechanical tech, I also believe that hydraulic brakes are a complicated over kill. Those that have them talk about feel and everything, but IMO they are still not needed.

As to feel the mechanical disc brakes on my trike feel fine. I do how ever admit that the cable runs on my trike are very short.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-15-20, 10:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
However as a mechanical tech, I also believe that hydraulic brakes are a complicated over kill. Those that have them talk about feel and everything, but IMO they are still not needed.
That's an exceptionally low bar. I love many of the current trends, but by the "not needed" standard, even I'd have to go back decades to find something that I strongly felt was "needed."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-15-20, 04:49 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
same reason why all cars have AC , have automatic tranny, we buy yeti coolers, central AC is in most homes...
it is better.
Old 07-15-20, 05:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
same reason why all cars have AC , have automatic tranny, we buy yeti coolers, central AC is in most homes...
it is better.
Automatic transmission? Pfft.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-15-20, 05:22 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
we all can't drive corvettes...
I get it..
Old 07-15-20, 05:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't think I've ever not owned a manual.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-15-20, 05:45 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
The companies that use DOT fluid make this claim - Hayes for example. They claim that the occasional bubble you get in your brake is from the mineral oil bubbling. Every year or so, I "burp" my Shimano brakes by attaching the funnel to the brake lever and flicking the lever while tilting the bike. You get the bubbles out and you are fine to go for a while. Takes all of 5 minutes.

I will say that some of the DOT brakes (Hayes, Hope) are tons more powerful than the Shimano's and also have much better modulation. Not sure if it is the brakes or fluid.
I have both SRAM Force 1 (dot) and Shimano 8070 (Mineral oil) hydros and I think the power and modulation are comparable - I do not notice any significant difference. Both are excellent in my book. .
Old 07-15-20, 07:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
we all can't drive corvettes...
You can't buy a new Corvette with a manual transmission.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-15-20, 07:27 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Maybe you should try a cable brake system on your car. Report back the results.

Again...Bottom line here...Pay attention...rim brakes are going away (unlesss you buy a department store bike), cable disc brakes will soon follow the path of rim brakes.
Yep, old Henry Ford refused to put "juicers" on his cars for years. Hell, Edsel Ford had to fight him to put front brakes on Ford cars.

Now that I think about it old Henry Ford would fit in just fine on this board.

BTW I would bet money that cable actuated brakes aren't going away. Silly bet though, no way to collect

Oh, and mineral oil is just slightly less toxic to the environment than DOT fluid if you spring a leak in the woods. Plus it doesn't eat paint. I would prefer the mineral oil set ups for no other reason than these.
Old 07-15-20, 09:15 PM
thenetters21

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I jumped on the disc break craze and sold all our old mountain bikes / hybrid bikes / outgrown kids bikes and ordered four commuter bikes with disc brakes for my family. Delivery day...late August (at least we kept a few bikes to get us through until then...but I look dorky riding around on my road bike with my family...I keep telling myself it's temporary).
Old 07-16-20, 10:00 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Wow! This thread went much farther afield than I'd anticipated. Learned a lot in the process. Thanx. In any case, my choice has been made, and if Fedex ever gets their fecal material organized, I should have a brand new Canyon on my doorstep in a couple weeks. I know, I know. Pix or it didn't happen. Promise I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 07-16-20, 10:28 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I don't think I've ever not owned a manual.
I started driving in 1975. Learnt on a manual tranny.
Every vehicle I owned was manual until I bought a 2015 RAM/hemi Blackout pkg. If I could have ordered it with a stick I would have. I like 3 pedals in my vehicles .....

bmcer...looking forward to some pics!
Old 07-16-20, 10:48 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Why do I want disc brakes?" hahaha! to ensure the service department at your lbs stays busy! This week I have bled 5 hydro brakes, replaced 6 sets of pads, and replaced 4 brake sets due to the OEM being pieces of crap from the start. I hate them and love them at the same time as I make more money working on them, but they take a whole lot more time to work on than good ol' rim brakes.

Me? Had disc brakes once, no more.
You need a better tech. I've been riding hydraulic disk brakes for gravel, road and cyclocross for over five years. Tens of thousands of miles. Never had to bleed or adjust them after installation. If you mount them and bleed them properly the first time, you should never have to touch them again. Replacing pads is no more frequent than rim pads.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 07-16-20, 11:02 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
You need a better tech. I've been riding hydraulic disk brakes for gravel, road and cyclocross for over five years. Tens of thousands of miles. Never had to bleed or adjust them after installation. If you mount them and bleed them properly the first time, you should never have to touch them again. Replacing pads is no more frequent than rim pads.
That's actually incorrect. Dot fluid is hydrophilic so water does migrate in to the system over time. Water in the system will worsen the properties of dot fluid so a bleed every two years or so is adviseable.

With mineral oil it's a bit different but water does migrate and the qualities of the mineral oil deteriorate over time (all oils deteriorate over time).

​​​​​New hoses every half a decade won't hurt. Apparently with motorcycles it's recommended to bleed every year and get new hoses every two years. Or was it two and four...
Old 07-16-20, 11:21 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Yeah, I am going on close to 20 years with disc brakes - from the old Hayes systems, to Shimano, AVID and new Hayes systems and compared to bikes with V-brakes or older - the maintenance is minimal.

If a guy at a shop has problems working with disc brakes in todays world - I would steer far, far away from that shop.
Old 07-16-20, 12:16 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's because modern automatic shifting transmissions provide better performance than manuals. Many super performance cars don't offer manuals.
Likes For boilermaker1:
Old 07-16-20, 05:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, but at least you still have the shift paddles mode so you can shift when you want, if you want. Driving my minivan by shifting like that kinda sucks
Old 07-16-20, 06:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Yes, but at least you still have the shift paddles mode so you can shift when you want, if you want. Driving my minivan by shifting like that kinda sucks
I think it's interesting / amusing that eTap is basically set up like the paddle shifters in high performance cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.