Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning your drivetrain.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cleaning your drivetrain.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 01:50 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I've read this entire thread with interest. Haven't read any recommendations for using a pressure washer. I mean, I just wipe down the dirty chain, myself, and lube with Pro-something, shift through the gears, and wipe clean.

But I have a friend who periodically uses a pressure washer to knock the grit off the cassette, chain and chainring. Then foam some WD-40 on the chain, then wipe dry, lube with lube, and wipe again. The grit is gone. The chain is lubed. Just his technique.
I don't own one, but I've researched electric pressure washers for detailing my cars.

Go to You Tube, and look up the Obsessed Garage pressure washer tests. Spoiler Alert - buy a Karcher.

Keep in mind, that with the factory plastic fittings, all of the consumer-grade electric models will likely leak over time.

They're great tools for cleaning vehicles, the exterior of your house, your concrete (although a gas pressure washer is superior for this task).... honestly, though, on a bike? IMO a hose is better. A pressure washer is going to force water into places you don't want it. I detail the engine bays of my vehicles, including washing them with soap and water.... never ever use a pressure washer in an engine bay, and I apply the same rule to bicycles.
Old 09-08-20, 01:33 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I've read this entire thread with interest. Haven't read any recommendations for using a pressure washer. I mean, I just wipe down the dirty chain, myself, and lube with Pro-something, shift through the gears, and wipe clean.

But I have a friend who periodically uses a pressure washer to knock the grit off the cassette, chain and chainring. Then foam some WD-40 on the chain, then wipe dry, lube with lube, and wipe again. The grit is gone. The chain is lubed. Just his technique.
There are more considerations than getting dirt off the gears, you don't want to contaminate the lubrication inside. Use purpose-made tools to clean the areas that need cleaning on a bike.
Old 09-08-20, 03:44 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
There are more considerations than getting dirt off the gears, you don't want to contaminate the lubrication inside. Use purpose-made tools to clean the areas that need cleaning on a bike.
Hey, I'm not pointing a high pressure stream at the end of the cassette. All the water is directed parallel to the cassette cogs. You guys do ride in the rain sometimes, right? I think I'm talking about the same amount of water exposure.
Old 09-08-20, 04:56 AM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Not to get off topic here, but I could not help but notice that the postings on underwear were followed by cleaning your drive train...hmmm, coincidence....I don't think so.
Likes For zeeway:
Old 09-08-20, 06:42 AM
southpier13

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I have no idea why someone would use gasoline as a cleaning product. I'm sure it works great, but there are much safer and less toxic alternatives.
yeah; that pretty much went out in like 1960. or when we turned 10 years old; whichever came first.
Old 09-08-20, 06:45 AM
southpier13

i forgot: why not use proprietary chain cleaners?

cost?

availability?

i'm lost here . . . .
Likes For southpier13:
Old 09-08-20, 06:57 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I wax my chains. It's a learning process the first time, and switching over a traditionally lubed chain to wax takes a little more time because you have to clean off the lube. But once you convert a drive train to wax, it's pretty easy to maintain after that.

If you want to try wax, the best tip I can give is to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. Manually cleaning a chain is a pain.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 09-08-20, 08:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier13

cost?

availability?

i'm lost here . . . .
Because they are messy and mostly useless. Chain cleaners might have been more useful in the days of pushing out pins to remove chains (they were still very messy) but we live in the age of easily removed and installed quick links. Taking a chain off is simple and shaking it for 30 seconds in a bottle is far more effective than any chain cleaner. The added advantage of the bottle is that you don’t end up splashing chain cleaner all over everything.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-08-20, 10:39 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
Sea Foam and or Marvel Mystery Oil seems to work for me.
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 09-08-20, 11:03 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Someone needs to start a wax thread.
Old 09-08-20, 11:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
"Wax" is in fact the only reason I used a degreaser on my chain. One time. I wanted all of the lube off the chain before applying wax lube. It worked, but I kind of regretted it because it's drastic. "Drastic" combined with "chemical treatment" often leads to unintended consequences IME and I'd prefer to avoid that generally speaking.

I get wanting your equipment to perform as perfectly as possible. But at some point we have to ask, is this marginal gain (or IS there any gain in reality) really worth this trouble?
Old 09-08-20, 11:29 AM
jadocs

All I can tell you is maintaining my drivetrain is a heck of a lot simpler and quick after wax. Stiff bristle brush and maybe a cursory wipe with some rubbing alcohol.
Old 09-08-20, 11:51 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts

cost?

availability?

i'm lost here . . . .
They're certainly not as good as an hour in an ultrasonic tank, but they are quick and easy and do a pretty reasonable job.
Old 09-08-20, 12:40 PM
southpier13

Originally Posted by jadocs
Someone needs to start a wax thread.
Brazilian wax is the best
Old 09-08-20, 12:43 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
All I can tell you is maintaining my drivetrain is a heck of a lot simpler and quick after wax. Stiff bristle brush and maybe a cursory wipe with some rubbing alcohol.
I also like that I can touch my chain without getting a big stain. I seemed to always have marks on my legs from the chain ring.

My wife's bike requires that you pull the chain in order to remove the rear wheel (it has horizontal dropouts). This is much cleaner with a waxed chain. Plus, she somehow dropped her chain at the beginning of a ride this weekend. I pulled the rear derailleur back and put the chain back on with no mess on my hands.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 09-08-20, 01:18 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Yours is another example of complicating the simple. Yes, wax is simple. Keep it that way. What’s the brush do? What’s the alcohol do? I kind of know what you are trying to do but since you have to rewax frequently, why not just let the hot wax do what the brush and alcohol are supposed to do? The hot wax will dissolve the old wax and anything on the surface will just end up in the bottom.

Don’t do multiple steps if one step will do.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-08-20, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Brazilian wax is the best
Wax on. Wax off.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-08-20, 01:34 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yours is another example of complicating the simple. Yes, wax is simple. Keep it that way. What’s the brush do? What’s the alcohol do? I kind of know what you are trying to do but since you have to rewax frequently, why not just let the hot wax do what the brush and alcohol are supposed to do? The hot wax will dissolve the old wax and anything on the surface will just end up in the bottom.

Don’t do multiple steps if one step will do.
Huh??? I'm not trying to do anything or imply what I do is required. I like to keep a spotless bike period. Everyone maintains their own equipment their own way.
Old 09-08-20, 03:11 PM
cyccommute 

Huh??? I'm not trying to do anything or imply what I do is required. I like to keep a spotless bike period. Everyone maintains their own equipment their own way.
I’m just pointing out that the steps you do aren’t necessary and/or aren’t doing anything effective, so why do them? The brush, I suspect, is used to take off excess wax on the outside of the chain. This flakes off so why do it? The alcohol, I suspect, is to remove grit. It’s really unnecessary because grit doesn’t get into the chain nor does grit really stick to the chain.

I don’t really care about a “spotless bike” but I don’t like oily drivetrains. I don’t hot wax but I use solvent wax lubricants which has a similar effect to hot waxing. It keeps the chain clean without requiring more than just refreshing the lubricant. The constant wiping and cleaning that oil based lubricants require is simply unnecessary so why do it? Hot wax is very similar.

Old 09-09-20, 06:48 AM
jadocs

I’m just pointing out that the steps you do aren’t necessary and/or aren’t doing anything effective, so why do them?
Because I want to.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-09-20, 08:14 AM
cyccommute 

Because I want to.
That’s what 99% of the elaborate cleaning schemes boils down to.

Old 09-09-20, 08:42 AM
jadocs

I don’t really care about a “spotless bike”
I do....and?

Originally Posted by cycommute
That's what 99% of the elaborate cleaning schemes boil down to.
My 90 second routine does what I want it to do. Where did I say what I did was required for function?
Old 09-09-20, 09:17 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
All I can tell you is maintaining my drivetrain is a heck of a lot simpler and quick after wax.
+1

It is a huge time saver, everything stays clean, the chain is silent and the wax lasts a long time. Despite almost daily usage I can go many, many months w/o having to even think about the chain. The only caveat is even though I am a fair weather rider, if I get caught in the rain then I will reapply the hot wax.

The hot wax cannot be beat if the rear wheel needs to be removed, such as for a roadside flat, because handling the chain does not result in greasy hands.
Old 09-09-20, 09:46 AM
diggida

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
After I did my big clean of my Bike and drive train I used DuPont Chain-Saver, which is wax based. I have limited experience, but it seems to work well. I sprayed it pretty liberally on my chain, chainrings, and gears. How does it compare to the hot wax method?
Old 09-09-20, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 

I do....and?
Just pointing out differences of opinion as well as some agreement.

My 90 second routine does what I want it to do. Where did I say what I did was required for function?
My questions aren’t entirely rhetorical. What does the brush and the alcohol do that you “want [them] to do”? If it is not for function, what is it for?

That question “...what’s it for?”, does come back to my rhetorical question of “why do it?” I’m an experimentalist and I have a long professional history of developing methods and procedures for chemical processes and chemical analysis. When I develop a procedure or look at someone else’s procedure, I look at all the steps and if there are steps that aren't required for function, I cut them out. If I can replace 4 elaborate steps with a single step, I’ve saved myself time, energy, and money. On the other hand, if someone points out a step that I put into a procedure that is unnecessary, I look at their suggestion and am willing to remove the step if it’s not necessary. I’ll check it first by doing experiments with and without the step while assessing the results. If the results are the same without the step, I’ll remove it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.