Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing Brake Levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Removing Brake Levers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20, 10:08 AM
AJ1515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Removing Brake Levers

Alright, kind of a weird question, but here it goes. I am riding drop bars, and I've got brakes on my tops. I am surprising by how much I like this set up. I'd still like to get one more hand position, however, so here's what I am thinking: Is it possible to install cheap hooded break levers, and then knock the pin out and remove the actual levers. This would leave me just with the hoods clamped to the drop bars.

Is this doable?
Old 09-12-20, 10:19 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by AJ1515
Alright, kind of a weird question, but here it goes. I am riding drop bars, and I've got brakes on my tops. I am surprising by how much I like this set up. I'd still like to get one more hand position, however, so here's what I am thinking: Is it possible to install cheap hooded break levers, and then knock the pin out and remove the actual levers. This would leave me just with the hoods clamped to the drop bars.

Is this doable?
Perfectly doable - you’d end up with a pair of hand rests. A bit pointless though, because you’ve just given up two perfectly good braking opportunities. A better solution would be to install a pair of proper levers on the drops and a pair of (blanking on the correct term) cross levers or interruptor levers on the bar tops. Multiple hand positions, with accessible braking from all positions. You don’t want to be on your “hoods” when someone/something pulls out right in front of you.

Last edited by Litespud; 09-12-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 10:20 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Sure. You just have to make sure to route the cable housing through the mock brake and not clamp down on the cable housing.

You will need to plan out the location of the functioning brakes somewhere on the drops to make sure you can reach the levers. Depending where you locate it, you may need a different style of brake lever.

What you are doing will result in a pretty cluttered cockpit.

John
Old 09-12-20, 10:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Actually Dia-Compe makes hand rests that would probably work. I figured someone had probably tried something like this before.

https://www.benscycle.com/Dia-Compe-...SABEgJCe_D_BwE

And there are stoker dummy levers, which I never knew about since I have never ridden a tandem, that you can use.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 09-12-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 10:30 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 975 Posts
From what I understand you have interrupter levers on the bar top without any other lever on the drop. The best solution is to buy the drop levers and install them running the cable to the interrupter lever and from that lever to the brake calliper. This will give you brakes for both positions. Remember, if you have no drop lever you will also have no brake when riding on the hoods. This can be awkward if you have to brake quickly while riding in that position
Likes For alcjphil: