Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Odd headset removal advice?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20, 10:04 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts

I am trying to rebuild an early 70's Bottecchia for a neighbour.

It not only has cottered cranks (one day I'll find a reasonably priced tool), it has a Regina GS Corse freewheel which required sourcing an obsolete removal tool.

My newest issue is the headset. The bars still turn but I want to strip the headset and rebuild it as I'm sure the grease hasn't been changed since it left the factory.

The adjustable race is smooth and only has two very small pin holes to fit a removal tool. I don't want to clamp on an adjustable wrench and trash the finish as finding a replacement might be hard.

juvela thought the headset might be an Agrati or OMG but was unsure based on photos I offered.

Q: Does any one know what tool would work for this type headset? I tried a Park SPA-1 bottom bracket tool but the pins don't ace inwards so only a single pin engages. I have the frame upside down on the stand now with penetrating oil soaking into the cup and hopefully the threads. If I have to I can try a punch but suspect that will damage the pin holes.
Old 09-12-20, 10:09 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
As you probably know, this should not require a tool for removal, only one to hold it in place when tightening the jam nut.

Any way, I would try a rubber belt of some kind to wrap around the cup and some handle, even a socket extension, and try removing it like a oil filter on a car. Could use leather too, but something with a high level friction surface. Like a tie down strap mechanism where the belt wraps around the handle and wraps on itself to keep from slipping.
Old 09-12-20, 10:22 AM
WGB 
WGB

Ps I even tried eBay Italy but didn't find a similar headset, let alone a tool to remove one
Old 09-12-20, 10:24 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I have found you can also sometimes get these loose by putting a small hole punch or screw driver in the hole and tapping it at a angle with mallet.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 09-12-20, 10:30 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
I took a Park "SPA-3" (the one with the blue handle) and filed down the rectangular pins
until they were round, and just small enough to fit the holes in the headset.
I used a smallish (~6") 2nd-cut or smooth file, and took my time.

Didn't take long, and I've used it lots over the years, so I'd say it was worth it.

I think the SPA-3 model may not be made anymore; look for old-stock where you can find it.

I also made another one from an adjustable pin wrench for BB adj. cups, I think it was a Park SPA-6, but I can't find it right now to take a picture. Start with this:

Clamp one arm in the vise and twist the arm with an adjustable wrench (crescent wrench) 90°, until the pin is facing towards the other arm. Then repeat on the other side. It was fairly easy to do the bending, less than a 5 minute job. Definitely less work than filing the pins on an SPA-3. Possibly could be done with two crescent wrenches or vise-grip pliers if you didn't have a vise.

And if you have access to a VAR #13 adjustable pin wrench, those can have the pins facing either way — like the SPA-6 above before bending, or after bending it. Just remove the pins and thread them into the other holes.

Mark B in Seattle

Last edited by bulgie; 09-12-20 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 09-12-20, 10:42 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
It should not be that tight(note should!). Maybe wrap a piece of old tube around the jaws of channel locks and allow only the rubber to grab the headset adjuster. I have done this on chrome plated plumbing fixtures and not marked up the piece.
Old 09-12-20, 11:24 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
WGB

These may work, they have a right angle pin set that may be able to be put in opposing each other. It says they open 2 inches so.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TG80SY...0Ring%20Pliers
Old 09-12-20, 12:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
you need a strap wrench
​​​​​​https://www.rona.ca/en/fuller-innova...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-12-20, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
why not just replace the headset with one with 32 mm flats like every one else uses .. ?
Old 09-12-20, 01:53 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd try the Hozan headset pliers with a rag underneath so you don't mar the cup:

https://www.amazon.com/HOZAN-C-203-H...a-441435708121
Old 09-12-20, 05:40 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
I suspect the right tool might look like a adjustable channel lock pliers with replaceable hardened steel pins at its jaws, instead of teeth/serrations
I'm a bit puzzled though, why you might need a tool to remove that top race cap, as it shouldn't be screwed on that tight and should not have that much preload pressure on the bearings.......unless maybe your steerer tube threads are messed up?
I suspect those pin holes are used more to hold the threaded top cup when you tighten the top nut against it to lock the race in place.

Last edited by Chombi1; 09-12-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 05:52 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
How about using a strap wrench?

https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber...hoCwHAQAvD_BwE
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-12-20, 05:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Paging cb400bill

Can we get these 2 identical threads merged plz?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...al-advice.html
Old 09-12-20, 06:33 PM
IdealSteel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like Cougrrcj said a strap wench. If you don't have one, a leather belt and some vise grips might do the job!
Old 09-12-20, 08:13 PM
WGB 
WGB

Thanks all.

I soaked penetrating oil into the cup for two days. Wrapped in strap then used locking pliers. Came off a charm. Stupid design to have a smooth surface.

I'll probably reuse as only spare headset I have is an NOS 600 Ultegra and this frame doesn't get that!

Onto that $&:#?ing cottered crank set which has a bent pin......
Old 09-12-20, 11:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Thanks all.

I soaked penetrating oil into the cup for two days. Wrapped in strap then used locking pliers. Came off a charm. Stupid design to have a smooth surface.

I'll probably reuse as only spare headset I have is an NOS 600 Ultegra and this frame doesn't get that!

Onto that $&:#?ing cottered crank set which has a bent pin......
It’s not the best design but bicycle parts are repleat with silly designs. Usually they work better with the right tool. The hole in the headset is for a C-style adjustable pin spinner. The pin on this one may not exactly right but I suspect it can be modified.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-13-20, 10:11 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
If you keep it as a spare, grind 2 flats so you can grip with "Channel lock" pliers next time.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-13-20, 10:28 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Here's The Correct Campy Tool - Historical Perspective

That type of headset was quite common BITD, especially on Italian bikes.

Bianchi with integral cups built into the head tube.

Here's the very rare Campy headset tool with the sliding jaws open and closed.

Expensive overkill tool for a stupid design part....

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 09-13-20, 12:32 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
That type of headset was quite common BITD, especially on Italian bikes.

Bianchi with integral cups built into the head tube.

Here's the very rare Campy headset tool with the sliding jaws open and closed.

Expensive overkill tool for a stupid design part....

verktyg
Wow, that's an impressive bit of over engineering for a basic pin spanner! I've never seen that campy tool before. Thanks for posting.

I remember the VAR tool well. That's what I would have grabbed. Seems like there was a Park pin spanner that worked for this too, but I can't recall the color.

At any rate, I'm sure it would come off with enough hand pressure. A tool is only useful for tightening it back against the locknut when readjusting after it's put back together. Some music wire, a torch, vise, and a grinder would be sufficient to improvise a tool in about 5 minutes.
Old 09-13-20, 06:13 PM
WGB 
WGB

That maybe over engineering but that is still cool.
Old 09-13-20, 08:07 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Won't it require TWO pin tools to secure the locknut, one for the locknut and one for the cup?

Seeing this design I have to wonder how often that riders in those days suffered loosening headsets while riding on less than securely tight headset nuts.
Old 09-13-20, 09:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
if you have access to a VAR #13 adjustable pin wrench, those can have the pins facing either way — like the SPA-6 above before bending, or after bending it. Just remove the pins and thread them into the other holes.

Mark B in Seattle
Yes, the VAR-13 is the proper tool for this, but it should be possible to remove the threaded cup with careful use of a slip-jaw plier.

It's possible that the steer tube is metric thread, which limits replacement parts if the current ones are worn beyond use, but there are some choices still available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var-pin-tool.jpg (31.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-13-20, 10:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Won't it require TWO pin tools to secure the locknut, one for the locknut and one for the cup?

Seeing this design I have to wonder how often that riders in those days suffered loosening headsets while riding on less than securely tight headset nuts.
Road bikes didn’t suffer that much from loose headsets. Mountain bikes of the early 80s to mid90s, on the other hand, often loosened on a each ride and had to be replaced often. There was a huge cottage industry for locking nuts on headsets. Some were as simple as shaft collars and others were engineering marvels with prices to match.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!