Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Greg Lemond's 1979 World Championship Race

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-20, 09:50 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts

Wow, I'd never actually seen the footage of this before but while stumbling around "the internets" and finding / watching some old Coors Classic footage (and reading how the former race director Michael Aisner was just busted for some heinous stuff @ 70 years old) I found video of Lemond "winning" the sprint at the 1979 Junior World Championships!

Not sure if anyone else would be as excited to see it as was/am, but here it is:

At 27seconds in, it looks like he has to bunny hop one of those tires that were used to narrow the road.
Old 09-17-20, 08:56 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Anyone know if he was ever awarded the Congressional Gold Medal? I read where he was nominated, but can't find info that he ever rec'd it. Always been a fan (not the reason I bought a LeMond road bike-but the bike is a great riding bike).
Likes For freeranger:
Old 09-17-20, 09:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Greatest bike racer the US has ever produced.
Old 09-17-20, 09:28 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am a fan of Lemond as a rider and a fan of his steel/ti bikes. Whatever happened in his business world, or feuds with whomever, I am not concerned with. He was a great racer and had a lot to do with expansion of bicycling popularity in the USA.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-17-20, 11:10 AM
spank226

Same youtuber actually has a longer video that includes a few snippets of the Junior TTT (Which Lemond and team won Bronze in) and the start line of the Jr Men's RR. At 5:20-5:23 you see a shot of Jeff Bradley (or possibly Mark Frise??) and Andy Hampsten wearing the Stars and Stripes jerseys. Video is taken by a Belgian affiliate, so obviously shows a bunch of the Belgian team including a young Eric Vanderaerden

Old 09-17-20, 11:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My favorite cyclist.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-17-20, 11:49 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I can't tell from the video whatis being implied about LeMond's victory. Did he squeeze the second place rider against a barrier?
Old 09-17-20, 12:33 PM
bg18947

Bikes: 72 Iverson Drag Stripper, 81 Raleigh Super Course, 82 Appel 531, 82 Falcon 753, 83 Pinarello Record SL, 85 Strawberry SL, 97 Cannondale F1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
If you read about him on Wiki, it covers his relationship with Trek which went sour when he got into the feud with Lance Armstrong. Trek built frames for Lemond and they pretty much derailed him when the feud started. Trek went with defending their money-maker at the time who was Lance. In the long run, they bet on the wrong horse. I believe LeMond got a new builder. I forgot what it said on Wiki.
Likes For bg18947:
Old 09-17-20, 01:07 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am a fan of Lemond as a rider and a fan of his steel/ti bikes. Whatever happened in his business world, or feuds with whomever, I am not concerned with. He was a great racer and had a lot to do with expansion of bicycling popularity in the USA.

His new bike business will be making an announcement sometime soon. The website says this month. He's heavily invested in carbon, so don't get your hopes up for a steel ride.

https://lemond.cc/

In 2016 he launched a new Tennessee-based company, LeMond Composites, which had rights to new technology developed at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory for low-cost, high volume carbon fiber manufacturing. At the time, Greg LeMond told BRAIN that he learned of the technology while researching options for a new bike line. He said the technology would be ideal for bike frames but that the new company would first focus on sales to other industries, including the auto, aviation, and wind power industries.

The following year, LeMond Composites licensed carbon manufacturing technology from Deakin University in Australia in a 20-year deal reportedly worth $44 million. Late last year, LeMond and Deakin announced that the technology had been shown by an independent organization to enable carbon production at less cost and energy use than other methods. At the time, LeMond said it was operating a pilot carbon fiber manufacturing line at Deakin University's facility in Australia and was raising capital for a full-scale industrial carbon fiber production line it hoped to launch in 2021.
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...aunch-imminent
Likes For capt_velo:
Old 09-17-20, 01:11 PM
bg18947

Bikes: 72 Iverson Drag Stripper, 81 Raleigh Super Course, 82 Appel 531, 82 Falcon 753, 83 Pinarello Record SL, 85 Strawberry SL, 97 Cannondale F1000

Lemond has integrity. I support him. I hope he continues doing well.
Likes For bg18947:
Old 09-17-20, 03:21 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
When I was a kid, Lemond and Eric Heiden were 2 of my favorite athletes. Fantastic comeback story after getting shot too. He never got enough props or fame in the US for what he accomplished.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 09-17-20, 05:01 PM
bg18947

Totally forgot about Eric Heiden. I remember he had one of those Exxon Grafteks. He was racing in Central Park once and some pedestrian walked in front of the him. Bingo! Grafteks were available in our local shop. Not sure that they sold at all.
Old 09-17-20, 05:02 PM
bg18947

Don't forget Dave Stoller. He may only be a movie character, but one that we could look up to.
Old 09-17-20, 05:31 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by bg18947
If you read about him on Wiki, it covers his relationship with Trek which went sour when he got into the feud with Lance Armstrong. Trek built frames for Lemond and they pretty much derailed him when the feud started. Trek went with defending their money-maker at the time who was Lance. In the long run, they bet on the wrong horse. I believe LeMond got a new builder. I forgot what it said on Wiki.
I believe it was years later but LeMond had his steel bikes being built by Zen in Portland (?). I think Look was building his CF bikes. Trek's position on the LeMond-Armstrong issue is why I've never owned a Trek and never will.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-17-20, 07:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Regardless of what you think about Lemond, Armstrong, or Trek, it's hard to make the argument that Trek bet on the wrong horse.
Old 09-17-20, 07:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Regardless of what you think about Lemond, Armstrong, or Trek, it's hard to make the argument that Trek bet on the wrong horse.
I agree looking at Treks size and impact on the cycling industry today. Although Lemond bikes have a strong cult following he never was a manufacturer but rather a brand device marketing his name. He was an amazing a gifted Athlete and put America on the map in professional cycling however he always seams to have drama around him in his cycling and professional ventures.
Old 09-18-20, 12:19 AM
spank226

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I can't tell from the video whatis being implied about LeMond's victory. Did he squeeze the second place rider against a barrier?
As you watch the video, Lemond tries to come up on the far side and gets pushed to the outside of the tires and has to sprint on the other side of them and then tries to come back in (because the finish line isn't as wide as the road which is why the tires were there to keep the cyclists from going too wide). When he tries to come back in he has to bunny-hop over one of the tires! He raises his hand after crossing the finish line in second place to protest the sprint. The Belgian rider who crossed the finish line in first place was relegated for an irregular spring and into last place in the group he was riding in at the time of the infraction, which was a 2-man group so he was relegated to 2nd place thereby giving Lemond the win.

Frankly, I was surprised to see they actually shook hands on the podium afterwards.

Lemond won second in the individual pursuit at the Junior Worlds that same year along with the bronze in the TTT.
Old 09-18-20, 04:14 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Lemond has integrity. I support him. I hope he continues doing well.
I'm with you on that.
Old 09-18-20, 04:38 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
I was a huge fan of LeMond until he started feuding with Armstrong and then I decided he was just a jealous retired guy. But... we found out that he wasn't just a whiner but right all along. Went back to being a huge fan, again.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-18-20, 12:39 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Greatest bike racer the US has ever produced.
I sort of think that Bob Roll was. In the 1988 Giro de Italia He had pulled Andy Hampsten to the base of the Gavia pass and then dropped off and was through for the day, Then the team car pulled up along side of him and told him that there was a snowstorm at the top of the Gavia and that he had to carry winter clothing up to Andy. Though spending all day pulling Team 7-11 Bob took the clothing and caught Andy at the top of the Gavia under conditions so bad that most of the team leaders had already dropped out. Andy put on the winter clothing and finished, I think, 3rd and locked down the time so that he finished in the Pink. Roll finished not far behind Andy on that stage and finished 61st overall. Roll was a professional's professional and rode for many American based teams. It isn't the winners that are the great riders so much as those who allow them to win. Bob would probably replace Phil Ligget as the Tour announcer when Phil finally retires but like many of the riders from the early 2000's he had to take drugs to maintain employment and he has developed pancreatic cancer. Hopefully he can be successfully treated and keep his voice in our ears for years to come, but that is inevitably a fatal illness.
Old 09-18-20, 12:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I sort of think that Bob Roll was. In the 1988 Giro de Italia He had pulled Andy Hampsten to the base of the Gavia pass and then dropped off and was through for the day, Then the team car pulled up along side of him and told him that there was a snowstorm at the top of the Gavia and that he had to carry winter clothing up to Andy. Though spending all day pulling Team 7-11 Bob took the clothing and caught Andy at the top of the Gavia under conditions so bad that most of the team leaders had already dropped out. Andy put on the winter clothing and finished, I think, 3rd and locked down the time so that he finished in the Pink. Roll finished not far behind Andy on that stage and finished 61st overall. Roll was a professional's professional and rode for many American based teams. It isn't the winners that are the great riders so much as those who allow them to win. Bob would probably replace Phil Ligget as the Tour announcer when Phil finally retires but like many of the riders from the early 2000's he had to take drugs to maintain employment and he has developed pancreatic cancer. Hopefully he can be successfully treated and keep his voice in our ears for years to come, but that is inevitably a fatal illness.
Not to take anything away from Bob Roll, but I believe that Jim Ochowitz handed Hampsten some warm clothing at the top of the Gavia. I don't think Roll was there with Hampsten. Unless I am remembering this incorrectly?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-18-20, 01:00 PM
bg18947

Bob Roll definitely seems to have the personality to connect with everyone. Life of the party. I wish him well.
Old 09-19-20, 12:33 AM
spank226

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Bob would probably replace Phil Ligget as the Tour announcer when Phil finally retires but like many of the riders from the early 2000's he had to take drugs to maintain employment and he has developed pancreatic cancer. Hopefully he can be successfully treated and keep his voice in our ears for years to come, but that is inevitably a fatal illness.
Yea, I remember all those years when Alex Trebek suffered up the Kemmelberg, and brought his team leaders all through the Dolomites. Shame how all of his ped use caught up with him now that he's finally got a sweet gig on tv. If only he too had made better choices earlier in the early 2000s, maybe Alex wouldn't have come down with pancreatic cancer...

/sarcasm.

I can't find any reference supporting the idea that Bob Roll has pancreatic cancer. Furthermore, he was a professional from 1985 to 1995. Finally, I'm more than a bit offended that you are insinuating Bob Roll used peds.

I have little doubt Bob Roll would fail a drug test from time to time, but I doubt it would be for peds.
Likes For spank226:
Old 09-19-20, 12:50 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by spank226
I can't find any reference supporting the idea that Bob Roll has pancreatic cancer. Furthermore, he was a professional from 1985 to 1995. Finally, I'm more than a bit offended that you are insinuating Bob Roll used peds.
RiceAWay uses a lot of “artistic license” in his posts.
Old 09-19-20, 08:25 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
I was a Junior in '76 racing my first Milwuakee Super Week. First days race my friend comes up to me all excited, "Greg Lemond is here". I had no idea who that was. In '76 Greg was a 14 yr old Intermediate who was allowed to race in the Junior race that day. And he won. Saw him on the podium after the race, a skinny, slight build kid...he won the race? But at 14 he was already newsworthy, and beating the top Juniors of the day. And the Juniors of that era basically went on to be the core of the 7-11 team.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.