Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jamis Allegro vs Coda?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jamis Allegro vs Coda?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 04:54 PM
Brenton393

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Jamis Allegro vs Coda?

I know the owner of a local dealer for Jamis. He keeps recommending the Allegro. I've been recommended that coda from people online, mainly the coda sport. Little more pricey for me tbh. The Allegro is close to $400.

I'm inclined to go with the cheaper bike. I see that many like the coda, but whats the consensus on the Allegro? What are the pros and cons of both? Comparing the two base models... Im not sure I want to spend the extra money for the sport right know.

Owner says he sells a ton of Allegro's and not many Coda's. He doesnt have a Coda in stock for me to try either. I just want a decent bike that I can commute with and ride for fitness. I know the Coda is Steel and the Allegro is Aluminum. Steel is supposed to be a smoother ride, but I cant really compare the two. I know the cheaper Allegro model comes with disc brakes, but the Coda doesnt unless you spend extra.

I imagine whichever bike I get, that If I get really into biking I'll probably end up getting something better in a couple years. I could see myself going on 20 to 30 mile rides on some weekends. My concern with the Allegro is that it would be really bumpy on any surface other then smooth pavement.

Thoughts? Its much easier for me to pick up the allegro, but Im curious of what the opinion is on this. I know they arent the best bikes, but I just want something decent that I can ride for fitness and commuting. My budget has got to be under $500 at the moment.

Last edited by Brenton393; 12-20-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 05:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Those are both nice bikes for the price. I don't see much difference other than steel vs aluminum. At a glance, they seem similarly spec'd at each level. With 32mm tires the aluminum Allegro should be comfortable. If your shop has the Allegro and the owner recommends it, I see no reason to inconvenience yourself by choosing something else. Enjoy it!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-20-19, 05:39 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
For under $500 you can get Allegro/Allegro S3 or Coda/Coda S3 according to Jamis web site. Both bikes will have a threaded headset.

Allegro is aluminum and Coda is chromoly steel. If you are afraid of aluminum try riding it and see how it feels. I like steel, but it does not mean that aluminum is non-riideable: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-comfort.html You can mount wider and more supple tires on both bikes, it will make the ride less bumpy.

Both have a 7 speed cassette (not a freewheel) in the back. There are more choices for 8 or 9 speed cassettes, but 7 speed is rideable as well. Both have rim brakes as you said.

I think both bikes will be good for what you want.
Old 12-20-19, 05:47 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I'm a fan of steel bikes. The Jamis Coda Line (Comp&Elite) where on my radar to replace a minty '96 Marin Muirwoods(also steel) I gifted to my son.
The Coda S3 has a similar list price as the allegro but doesn't have discs. If possible ride them both and buy the one that fits you best. If they both feel good.....buy the S3.
If you can pull it off buy the Comp/S1. You won't regret it. Cry once...buy once.

Jamis is under rated but makes good bikes!

Last edited by Speedway2; 12-20-19 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 12-20-19, 06:59 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I had a Coda Sport a few years ago and it was a nice riding bike. 520 Reynolds steel.
Unfortunately I let my daughter's BF ride it, and even after telling him not to leave it out, bring it inside... he left it out by their front door..... gated property in the city, and someone jumped the fence and stole it.
I replaced it with a Diamondback Insight 1 (aluminum) and while a good bike, it would beat my @ss pretty good. Ended up putting a Brooks sprung saddle on it to tame the ride......worth more than the bike.
Old 12-20-19, 09:18 PM
Brenton393

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm going to check out the allegro since Its at the shop ready for me to test ride. Not really sure what the difference is between the allegro and allegro a3. I wish I could try out the Coda, but If Im happy with how the allegro rides I may get it. Not sure how much I care about the steel vs aluminum. Wouldnt be able to compare, but I'd have to spend extra with the coda if I wanted the disc brakes. Im 26 M and weight less then 150 lb.
Old 12-22-19, 03:39 PM
Brenton393

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Test rode the Allegro and I bought the Allegro A2 from the local dealer. The owner is a good guy and a good friend. Gave me a deal for $485. The Allegro was nice and the A2 has upgrading parts.
Likes For Brenton393:
Old 12-22-19, 05:21 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Congrats on the A2! What colour did you get and we're going to need pics...its kinda an unwritten rule around here
Old 12-22-19, 07:22 PM
Brenton393

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thankyou! and Flat ink. Its got to ship to the shop first for me to pick it up. Give me a week and i'll try to remember to post some pics!
Old 09-19-20, 10:31 AM
mchnhed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are the pictures?

Originally Posted by Brenton393
Thankyou! and Flat ink. Its got to ship to the shop first for me to pick it up. Give me a week and i'll try to remember to post some pics!
>>>>>>>>>