Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur on Cannondale Caad8 too far from cassette- at a loss

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear derailleur on Cannondale Caad8 too far from cassette- at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 07:45 PM
peanstein

Bikes: lemond, Twin Six, Ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sort of fixed the issue but changed several things at once but I don;t believe that was the issue as I had tried 2 different cable housings.
Will explain in detail at the end.

Originally Posted by ShannonM
Is the housing loop pushing the derailleur slightly inward? I've been bitten that way... drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

--Shannon
Old 09-19-20, 08:11 PM
peanstein

Bikes: lemond, Twin Six, Ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
solved...sort of?

I tried several other 10sp. setups to no avail.
tried Trakhak's recommendation and checked my frame alignment, which was spot on- 3.1mm on both side of the seatpost.
I then checked the derailleur hanger tab (i do not have the ParkTool FFG-2 so fabricated something from rods & tools used in a machine shop environment- crude but same principle)
Sure as sh@#, the hanger tabs were out of what by about 2.5mm.
I did what is not recommended and used a big C-Clamp on the RD hanger tab and tweaked in back and is now nice and parallel to the other side.
before tweaking the tab, I placed a wedge inside the tire channel so I would not squeeze the dropouts and make the inside smaller than the needed 130mm.

I will monitor the integrity of the welds for stress and might even try to take it to an xray machine that I may have access to.
In the end, if I broke the frame then I'd have felt victorious at least in one way

I have to admit that I did switch the 10s setup to a 9s Shimano setup that I removed from a 04 Zurich (shifters, RD, cassette and chain) that I also had and that worked like a charm.
I think I owe it you everyone that helped with commenting (my curiosity too) what will happen if I place the 10s setup back on there. I'd likely sawzall the frame and 10s compoments to pieces out of frustration..........

Attached are pics of the bike before I tweaked the RD tab and did not take pics afterwards as I don; think a pic. could show the difference.

Oh yeah, the 9s cassette went on the first set of wheels that I tried with the 10s setup.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in and I learned several things regarding frame and RD tab alignment.

Last edited by peanstein; 09-19-20 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added detail about 9s setup
Old 09-19-20, 08:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Congrats on getting the bike to work.

My son had an aluminum frame mountain bike and the dropout was just slightly off, maybe 1mm. I ended up modifying the inside (attach) surface of the hanger to compensate, rather than bend the dropout. So far so good; not that you need that info at this point in time.

John