Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Small backpack for an overnighter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 10:23 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

A group of guys that I ride with are talking about doing a two day ride. We'd be staying in a hotel and eating at restaurants so no need for panniers. In short, all that's needed is a toothbrush, a change of socks, a new jersey (maybe?), a new pair of bibs (maybe?) shorts, a T, and flipflops. Total distance we're looking at is 150k the first day and maybe 150 ~ 160k the next day.

My question is, would I be ok doing a trip like this with a small/light backpack? I'm thinking of using a small camelbak that I have, minus the bladder. The group of guys are roadies, so we'd be riding road bikes. Riding in a pace line, etc. Some of the guys have one of those bags that hang from the top tube. One of the guys suggested NOT going with a backpack, as in the summer heat and riding hard, the backpack would be annoying. Not to mention a real sweaty back.

I have never done an over night like this before, so am looking for guidance/ideas/suggestions.

Thank you.
Old 06-08-20, 10:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Having used both, I would definitely put a frame bag over a backpack, but a cycling-specific bag (like a Shimano Unzen or Rokko) is quite comfortable and works really well. I use both several times a year.

I would start by doing some rides with the Camelbak on (loaded with at least the weight of what you expect to take) and see how it feels. IME, none of the hydration packs we have here come close to the Unzen.

The straps on Camelbaks are generally designed for hiking. Road cycling has a very different body position. But hey, testing it is free.
Old 06-08-20, 10:49 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Backpack certainly needs getting used to, if it is not fitted or adjusted properly it can lead to issues like back pain, shoulder pain and the like. It's something I wouldn't recommend taking out on a trip like this unless you've had time to test and condition yourself.

I'd go with a frame bag, if your bike has the space for it, or a large saddle bag (e.g. from Apidura or Topeak) instead.
Old 06-08-20, 11:22 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
The Topeak backloader seat bag is ideal. Maybe a bit big. For a summer day trip I,d use my smaller revelate bag. MTB shoes/pedals are a good idea too.
Old 06-09-20, 03:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Check to see if there are laundry facilities in/near the hotel. If there are, you can all wash your cycling clothes together and eliminate the need for second sets. (Socks would be the least of my concerns.) And there are travel sizes of toothpaste and even toothbrushes.

What about sunblock? Phone charger?

Refine the gear list first.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-09-20 at 03:54 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-09-20, 04:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
A group of guys that I ride with are talking about doing a two day ride. We'd be staying in a hotel and eating at restaurants so no need for panniers. In short, all that's needed is a toothbrush, a change of socks, a new jersey (maybe?), a new pair of bibs (maybe?) shorts, a T, and flipflops. Total distance we're looking at is 150k the first day and maybe 150 ~ 160k the next day.

My question is, would I be ok doing a trip like this with a small/light backpack? I'm thinking of using a small camelbak that I have, minus the bladder. The group of guys are roadies, so we'd be riding road bikes. Riding in a pace line, etc.

Some of the guys have one of those bags that hang from the top tube. One of the guys suggested NOT going with a backpack, as in the summer heat and riding hard, the backpack would be annoying. Not to mention a real sweaty back.

I have never done an over night like this before, so am looking for guidance/ideas/suggestions.

Thank you.
I have investigated various seatbags meant for road bikes on this thread, “Road bike Rear Rack...no eyelets" (link) and my choice is,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use my carbon fiber endurance bike (Specialized S-Works) for commuting, and my best solution has been to use a seat mounted (not seatpost) Arkel 15 Liter Bikepack.

I have sufficient room to carry just about everything I need.

I might add a lightweight backpack for bulky, but light items.
I think the capacity of that bag would be sufficient for a casual overnight stay; I even carry a pair of street shoes for work.

I also have a rectangular elastic cargo net with a hook at each corner that I can wrap around the bikepack to accommodate additional items, e.g. an extra jacket.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-09-20 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added photo of cargo net
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 06-09-20, 05:12 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
you might try KRIEGA back packs >>> i have used an R30 for over 10 years on moto & bike > they make all sizes & their strap system is A OK for 2 wheelN

KRIEGA R30
Old 06-09-20, 06:04 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I bought one of these last yer for about $65. it can hold up to 15 liters, but it can go to less than half or that size. The rearmost black portion is soft and can be rolled towards the front most gray portion. pretty well built for cheap. I never got to use it, as Covid 19 cancelled the tour.
Large seat bag
Old 06-09-20, 01:05 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Have a look at the Deuter Race EXP Air. It is small and narrow. The best feature is the Air Mesh Back Comfort System. This really works well. My wife used this for our two day jaunt in Japan. I used a slightly larger pack with the same type of mesh system and had no complaints.

The reason I like it on my back vs the seat bag is I want the bike to ride like it always rides. Swinging the bike back and forth as you climb a mountain isn't affected by all that weight that makes the bike top end heavy. On my back the weight is where I want it. Of course this works for me and as you read above others prefer something else.
Old 06-09-20, 01:18 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I took a 14 liter seat bag on a 4 day credit card tour, which was just barely enough room, but something like this might work really well for just an overnight. I'm not a fan of wearing a backpack all day if it's going to be hot out but that's certainly an option too if you don't mind that.
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...eat-bags/Shrew
Old 06-09-20, 01:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
This pack rides extremely well. Nice clean lines too. It's $$$ but you can get 20% off at camp saver right now.
Old 06-09-20, 01:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Check to see if there are laundry facilities in/near the hotel. If there are, you can all wash your cycling clothes together and eliminate the need for second sets. (Socks would be the least of my concerns.) And there are travel sizes of toothpaste and even toothbrushes.

What about sunblock? Phone charger?

Refine the gear list first.
Yep. I washed my clothes in the sink staying a night at a hotel at the end of a long backpacking trip. Not quite the same as laundry facility - which many hotels have - but it did the trick.
Old 06-10-20, 07:57 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I use a 6 litre altura saddlebag for commuting. It should do the job for an overnight. The frame bag has been ditched as my bike is slightly too small to access water bottles with it attached.
Old 06-10-20, 09:03 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Yep. I washed my clothes in the sink staying a night at a hotel at the end of a long backpacking trip. Not quite the same as laundry facility - which many hotels have - but it did the trick.
That's good enough. Bring a travel size container of what you use for detergent and wash your clothes at the end of your shower. Hang them up after everyone has showered. Good to go.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-10-20, 07:15 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I had an Osprey Raptor 14 backpack that I used for commuting. It was super comfy and everything I needed for a day a work fit in it no problem, but I eventually replaced it with a seatpost mounted rack and a trunk bag. MUCH more comfortable even on an hour commute ride. I couldn't imagine riding all day with the backpack even if it fit and was comfortable. I have a Salsa EXP seat bag but haven't tried it out yet due to working from home. It goes on and off the bike almost as easy as the trunk bag, and there is no messing with the seatpost rack.
Old 06-10-20, 07:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Ortlieb stuff is a bit pricey but awesome. An Ortlieb seat bag and a handlebar bag will give you all you need.

and the 2 together will be balanced
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.