Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question: When was the first braze on shifters

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-10-20, 06:56 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts

Hey experts!

Someone on my YouTube Channel asked when the first Braze on shifter bosses were introduced.

Does anyone know that question.

Here's what I do know.

My 74 Moto Grand Record have strap on. The top of the line 74 Bianchi has strap on but the 75 is braze on..

So, Do you guys think that 75 or so was the first year? Or am I way off?
Old 09-10-20, 07:09 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,780 Times in 1,405 Posts
Late 40s/early 50s Simplex.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-10-20, 07:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 6,625 Times in 2,596 Posts
Not uncommon to see Cyclo braze-on mounts on 40s Brit bikes.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-10-20, 08:00 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
1964 Schwinn Varsity had braze on shifters....

Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-10-20, 08:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
1948 Peugeot PH-60

Old 09-10-20, 08:59 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
1964 Schwinn Varsity had braze on shifters....

Yeah. I totally forgot about those!!!
Old 09-10-20, 10:32 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 928 Posts
There were braze-on shifters in the 1953 Campy catalog. They probably didn't have anything to put them on, but still.
Old 09-10-20, 11:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Can I ask the question a different way? In the 70s they were out of fashion. Why? My Dad’s Paramount has no shifter or bottle bosses, but it does have cable stops. In the 80s they went whole hog, even had the chain hanger.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-10-20, 11:18 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
My '46 Herse has a brazed-on Le Cyclo lever. Early wartime ('41) Herse bikes are the same.

I'm not suggesting herse invented it. Lord knows he already gets credit for stuff he didn't invent, his bikes are so heavily collected and photographed. It was far more likely someone in St. Étienne or near there, possibly pre-WWI. Could have been Paul de Vivie (Velocio) or Joanny Panel with a Le Chemineau or other wacky contraption they messed around with. Le Chemineau derailleur was put to market in 1912.

Or any other (likely French or British) tinkerer who thought they could save a couple grams by ditching the clamp or clip. Or were frustrated it was slipping or stripped a screw and couldn't find another the right size, but had a torch and solder handy.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-10-20 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 01:22 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Can I ask the question a different way? In the 70s they were out of fashion. Why? My Dad’s Paramount has no shifter or bottle bosses, but it does have cable stops. In the 80s they went whole hog, even had the chain hanger.
I believe it was Colnago that pushed the idea that brazeons weaken the tubes where they are attached. Deleting the brazeons saved them a ton of money. They later pushed the idea that straight fork blades are better than curved. Again, not having to bend the blades saved them a ton of money.
Old 09-11-20, 10:15 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
Liked 6,449 Times in 3,189 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Do you guys think that 75 or so was the first year? Or am I way off?
If looking at when they became common, it was '79-'80. This is also the time we begin seeing 126mm rear spacing and bottle bosses.
Old 09-11-20, 11:12 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 653 Posts
What I remember hearing was that at the 1960 Olympics in Rome, the Italians showed up to race with bicycles without braze-ons. The idea (as already mentioned) was that the brass used to attach the braze-ons might weaken the metal. Of course frame builders everywhere were enthusiastic to copy this and not have to do that extra work (and have a rational to justify making it a better choice). When I started building and repainting frames in the mid 70's, one of my main sources of income was putting braze-ons on frames that didn't have them. These would have been bike boom frames that started to appear in the Midwest in 1970/71.

The 1972 Masi I got in Milan had shifter bosses, 1 set of water bottle bosses on the down tube, gear cable guides on top of the bb shell and a chain stay stop. It didn't have top tube brake cable guides. English frames after WWII had brake and gear cable stops (including a center pull cable stop on the seat stays) as well as a front lamp mount. They often had pump pegs on the down tube. While they sometimes had lever bosses they usually had just some kind of clamp stop so the gear levers wouldn't slide down the down tube. They didn't have water bottle bosses. Almost every frame I made since I learned in 1975 had a full amount of braze-ons. Of course most of those are put on with lower temperature silver. Sometime in the 80's it becomes more popular to put on 2 sets of water bottle bosses.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-11-20, 11:33 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
So when did bottle cage bosses at 2.5" become a standard?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-11-20, 11:46 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
This article might shed some light on the subject: lack of braze ons was a cost cutting measure

​​​​​​Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - Everything Clamp-on

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-11-20 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-11-20, 01:29 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by busdriver1959
I believe it was Colnago that pushed the idea that brazeons weaken the tubes where they are attached.
Rivendell said this about mid-blade eyelets in one of their Readers back in the late '90s or early 2000s, claiming the weakening was only significant for the fork. You still can't get a Rivendell with mid-blade eyelets. Generally if they have fork eyelets they're rear-rack hourglass-shaped eyelets brazed up higher in the "mini rack" position.

My '59 Jack Taylor tandem is the earliest bike I've seen with a brazed-on bottle cage mount. The cage looks to be a modified Simplex cage (I think all Simplex cages were originally clamp-on). I think they're spaced at 2.5" but I will have to measure to make sure. Come to think of it, what did randonneurs do before bottle cages? All those lovely '40s and early '50s Herse/Singer/Goeland/Routens/Charrel bikes don't have cages. Bottle of cidre brut in the handlebar bag? Stop at a café because back then cafés weren't just for the rich? Or were they tougher/weather was cooler, so they didn't need to drink?

Last edited by scarlson; 09-11-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 02:07 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Rivendell said this about mid-blade eyelets in one of their Readers back in the late '90s or early 2000s, claiming the weakening was only significant for the fork. You still can't get a Rivendell with mid-blade eyelets. Generally if they have fork eyelets they're rear-rack hourglass-shaped eyelets brazed up higher in the "mini rack" position.
That's interesting. To be honest, they've always sketched me out a little bit too. That's why my touring bike doesn't have them. A fork is a big spring. I watch that thing move when I ride, and it moves a lot.

I wonder if anyone has ever done empirical destructive testing? I suppose with sufficient reinforcement, a mid fork braze-on isn't going to be a problem. Like I said though, it still sketches me out.

Back to the original question.... Ignoring all the true facts about braze-ons going way way back, a pragmatic answer to the question is approximately late 70s. Motobecanes didn't have braze-ons in 1977. In 1978, they had pretty much the full complement. Strangely though, most models continued to use clamp on shifters for a couple more years. Presumably this was for flexibility.
Old 09-11-20, 02:38 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
What I remember hearing was that at the 1960 Olympics in Rome, the Italians showed up to race with bicycles without braze-ons. The idea (as already mentioned) was that the brass used to attach the braze-ons might weaken the metal.
There might have been some truth in that on high end race bikes as they were going very thin-wall with Reynolds 531 which isn't as strong or tolerant of heat as modern steels. And once something is on the race bikes it's cool and everyone wants it. And if it's also cheaper to make it's a win win.

Bottle holes in particular seem a bit sketchy especially as they're in the thin part of the double butted tube. You are probably relying on the boss for reinforcement.

The braze-ons you need the most are probably the ones where the shifters go because if that slips down and scrapes up your paint it really ruins your day.
​​​
Old 09-11-20, 03:13 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 3,090 Times in 1,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
What I remember hearing was that at the 1960 Olympics in Rome, the Italians showed up to race with bicycles without braze-ons. The idea (as already mentioned) was that the brass used to attach the braze-ons might weaken the metal. Of course frame builders everywhere were enthusiastic to copy this and not have to do that extra work (and have a rational to justify making it a better choice). When I started building and repainting frames in the mid 70's, one of my main sources of income was putting braze-ons on frames that didn't have them. These would have been bike boom frames that started to appear in the Midwest in 1970/71.
An old-country bike shop guy told me the same in the early 80s...I used to ride 20 odd miles to and from the shop to ogle the merchandise.

However, he also said that some racers in Italy didn't want to be locked into the reach of the braze-ons and wanted adjustability, that it would disrupt their positioning if the shifters were too low or high to the head tube. With the band on, you could move it up and down.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-11-20, 03:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's interesting. To be honest, they've always sketched me out a little bit too. That's why my touring bike doesn't have them. A fork is a big spring. I watch that thing move when I ride, and it moves a lot.

I wonder if anyone has ever done empirical destructive testing? I suppose with sufficient reinforcement, a mid fork braze-on isn't going to be a problem. Like I said though, it still sketches me out.

Back to the original question.... Ignoring all the true facts about braze-ons going way way back, a pragmatic answer to the question is approximately late 70s. Motobecanes didn't have braze-ons in 1977. In 1978, they had pretty much the full complement. Strangely though, most models continued to use clamp on shifters for a couple more years. Presumably this was for flexibility.
Almost all of our "vintage" steel forks taper signficantly down to the dropout, so almost all of the flexing occurs past the point of the taper. Mid-fork braze-ons are in the "beefy" part of the blade.

The only thing I've ever found to be lacking in good structural integrity are low rider attachments that are only a bottle boss on the outside of the fork blade. I've seen a couple of those fail due to twisting of the rack with loaded panniers. I've drilled out fork blades through the neutral plane on both sides and braze a tube through both sides. Look at some 80's touring bikes and that's how they did it, but you can find examples with a bit on just one side.
Old 09-11-20, 08:06 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Colnago Braze-ons

Originally Posted by busdriver1959
I believe it was Colnago that pushed the idea that brazeons weaken the tubes where they are attached. Deleting the brazeons saved them a ton of money. They later pushed the idea that straight fork blades are better than curved. Again, not having to bend the blades saved them a ton of money.
Interesting notion about Colnago braze-ons but Signor Ernesto has been known to fling a little merda di toro!

Around the end of the Bike Boom - 1973-74, high end Italian frames started coming into the US with braze-ons. Initially derailleur cable stops on the chain stays,and cable guides on the BB shell then shift lever bosses and water bottle cage mounts. Some started having brake cable guides on the top tubes too.

The "Brits" called them "tiddly bits" and they were used on better quality and custom small builder frames.

The conventional wisdom at the time was that brazing high quality butted tubing in the thin sections like where the shift levers mounted or the top tube brake cable guides or stops attached could easily be overheated resulting in damage that could later crack or fail.

There's some truth to that because many "production" frames were brazed together by lower skilled employees. That's also why heavier gauge Reynolds 531 and Columbus SP tubing was used in a lot of those frames up into the early 80's. The thicker tubing was less sensitive to over heating.

During the Bike Boom, the goal was to assemble bikes as quickly as possible, box them up and push them out the door.

Gitane factory in 1980

As I mentioned above, by the mid 70's most quality Italian bikes and frames were coming with braze-ons. Braze-ons were starting to be offered as extra cost options on custom built frames from the UK and the US too.

Concerning the Colnago straight fork blade fad, I have one bike with them, a Colnago Technos franken bike. The ride is very smooth despite the forks having no flex. The thin wall main tubes absorb most of the road shock and vibrations coming through the forks.

One thing that I discovered, those straight forks are very unforgiving when hitting a significant bump at low speed. Twice I've had the front wheel turn instead of going straight over the bump as would happen with curved fork blades. Both times resulted in a straight down spill.

One cost savings that was billed as an improvement was the switch from 36 spokes to 32 spoke wheels. 10,000 wheels = 3200 less spokes but more importantly the reduction in time spent building the wheels.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-11-20 at 08:20 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 09-11-20, 08:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
My '59 Jack Taylor tandem is the earliest bike I've seen with a brazed-on bottle cage mount. The cage looks to be a modified Simplex cage (I think all Simplex cages were originally clamp-on). I think they're spaced at 2.5" but I will have to measure to make sure. Come to think of it, what did randonneurs do before bottle cages? All those lovely '40s and early '50s Herse/Singer/Goeland/Routens/Charrel bikes don't have cages. Bottle of cidre brut in the handlebar bag? Stop at a café because back then cafés weren't just for the rich? Or were they tougher/weather was cooler, so they didn't need to drink?
You'll never guess who gets the credit for that one on page 220 of the "Rene Herse" book.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-11-20, 08:48 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
You'll never guess who gets the credit for that one on page 220 of the "Rene Herse" book.
What I want to know is, is it a conflict of interest if you write the book claiming all the laurels for a brand _before_ you acquire the brand you wrote the book about?

Seriously though, does he say why Herse used inches in this situation? I thought he was a metric-only man.
Old 09-11-20, 09:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Almost all of our "vintage" steel forks taper signficantly down to the dropout, so almost all of the flexing occurs past the point of the taper. Mid-fork braze-ons are in the "beefy" part of the blade.

The only thing I've ever found to be lacking in good structural integrity are low rider attachments that are only a bottle boss on the outside of the fork blade. I've seen a couple of those fail due to twisting of the rack with loaded panniers. I've drilled out fork blades through the neutral plane on both sides and braze a tube through both sides. Look at some 80's touring bikes and that's how they did it, but you can find examples with a bit on just one side.
When I asked Peter Mooney about LowRider bosses in1978,he said he wouldn't drill through a fork blade. (He was saying this to a survivor of a fork breaking and was at the annual club diner when it was announced I was in a coma.) When I asked again in 1984 when asking for replacement fork, he said he still wouldn't but if I was OK with an English generator mount (with its larger bolt) he was willing to do it. I said yes and now have to file all the racks I put on that bike, but the attachment is wonderful.

My 1976 Fuji Pro had just a boss for the shifter clamp and 1 set of WB bosses. Clamp-on brake guides, all derailleur guides and the 2nd WB. (All my bikes get at least two bottles. Now they get third under the DT bosses.)
Old 09-11-20, 09:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,905 Times in 2,539 Posts
What I want to know is, is it a conflict of interest if you write the book claiming all the laurels for a brand _before_ you acquire the brand you wrote the book about?

Seriously though, does he say why Herse used inches in this situation? I thought he was a metric-only man.
He had a dream where it came to him that it was ordained that WB bosses should have fasteners at exactly 6.10 cms. Been that way ever since.
Old 09-11-20, 10:43 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Campy # 650 Braze-on Shift Lever Bosses

The first reference that I found to Campy # 650 Braze-on Shift Lever Bosses is in the 1955 Catalog # 13.

Simplex and Huret had braze on bosses too but most were only for the the right side rear derailleur.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.