Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keep components the same across bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Keep components the same across bikes?

Old 09-16-20, 07:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
The bike I have now is new and pretty nice. The idea with the backup was to have something else I could beat up on the trainer all winter long and take out in a pinch if needed (or if the roads were really crappy one day).
That never works because then you will need to get a backup for the backup lol.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-16-20, 07:17 AM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
That never works because then you will need to get a backup for the backup lol.
Haha - and then one for the rain, and then a gravel bike, and then one for when the temperature is between 60-70 with slightly overcast skies, and then one to match my favorite socks, and then one to hang on the wall,......

I get it
Old 09-16-20, 07:20 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
haha - and then one for the rain, and then a gravel bike, and then one for when the temperature is between 60-70 with slightly overcast skies, and then one to match my favorite socks, and then one to hang on the wall,......

I get it
exactly!
Old 09-16-20, 07:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Haha - and then one for the rain, and then a gravel bike, and then one for when the temperature is between 60-70 with slightly overcast skies, and then one to match my favorite socks, and then one to hang on the wall,......

I get it
A gravel bike would probably be a good option. You could put a trainer tire on it (or get just a cheap trainer wheel with trainer tire). But it would give you something with different capabilities and you could still manage to have disc brakes for wheelset swapping - if needed, you could toss the road wheels on the gravel bike to ride on the road if the road bike is in the shop.
Old 09-16-20, 12:51 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Another solution looking for a problem.
Here's the problem: You get a groupset of components that you happy with (for me: Shimano 6603, 10 speed). You know that in just a short time this group will be replaced by all manner of new electronic, hydraulic, etc. stuff; and your parts are now obsolete and unobtainable. So, you need to start spending your money stockpiling all of your parts that will wear out.

If you have multiple bikes, stockpiling multiple groupset parts gets mighty expensive and complicated. So, I keep Shimano 10-speed triple groups on my 3 brifter bikes, and I keep Campagnolo Racing T parts on my three 6-speed friction shifter bikes. Now I have a parts bin that can service the 6 bikes.
Old 09-16-20, 01:13 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
However, I've had a number of people tell me I'll really regret not spending another $700-1,000 bucks to get similar components on the backup
I disagree to the point of "we'd be nuts to spend 700 - 1000 extra for cross compatibility"

It's easy to imagine swapping out wheels for different purposes, but frankly I've never wound up doing that. Even with spare wheelsets in the closet for that specific reason, it's been a rare thing.

If we were talking about some deep section carbon fiber high dollar aero wheels that would be a different story, but we're not. Just regular wheels on 2 different bikes, there's no reason to ensure that you can swap them around. Let alone spend all that extra for it.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-16-20, 04:02 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’ve learned not to “stockpile” parts. I usually end up stuck with old new parts in the box that I no longer need.

I think the same thing would happen if I made decisions based on getting bikes to use the same components. As soon as I set up a second bike to match the first, I’ll end up changing the first.

But I guess a second bike is better than parts in a bin.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-16-20 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 08:54 AM
DaverSomething

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 7 Posts
There are some things I "like". Like Ultegra 6703, XT Dyna-sys. Yokozuna Reaction cables. Both bikes go up hills a lot, and I like both bikes to stop and shift crisply.
Frames on the other hand are quite different, and that's where I'm interested in the different character.

On another bike I have bar-end shifters and they just annoy the crap out of me. Some day I'll have brifters on that one too.

I guess my personal point of view is that most of the time I'm not trying to ride a different bike. Instead I'm trying to ride a different route, and the route wants a different bike.
Old 09-17-20, 03:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’ve learned not to “stockpile” parts. I usually end up stuck with old new parts in the box that I no longer need.

I think the same thing would happen if I made decisions based on getting bikes to use the same components. As soon as I set up a second bike to match the first, I’ll end up changing the first.

But I guess a second bike is better than parts in a bin.
I can solve your problem...stockpile the parts into a good sturdy box for shipping and then bring it on down to USPS or FedEx or DHL or UPS office and ship it over to me that way you get to have those spare parts but you aren't stuck with them

You will want to stock pile some XT and Ultegra Di2 stuff and if you have any previous stock piles of Dura Ace 7400 and any XT M737 or XTR M900/M950 Rear derailleurs and shifters those are also handy. Also could use a couple extra XTR Octalink BBs and probably wouldn't hurt to have a couple sets of 25th anniversary Dura Ace lying around just in case.

The idea of multiple bikes is great but just a back up bike maybe not so much. Also keeping some spare parts is good especially for common wear items but I wouldn't buy new derailleurs and shifters and such unless I was trying to build another bike it is a big expense on something you may not need. However having old parts in bins can be quite nice, I have certainly built 4+ bikes out of parts bin items and could build more should I want and that is a fun making things all work together and play nice and have a random hodgepodge of stuff.
Old 09-18-20, 05:43 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Nine of my bikes are compatible with each other. If my gravel and road bikes could switch wheels, that'd be great. In practice though, it's never been an issue.

I wouldn't get two bikes that are essentially the same. Maybe get a replacement that's still a good trainer but also good for something different, like gravel or touring.

Same type of pedals is nice. For me, look for road and spd for dirt and trails. Keeps the shoe closet less crowded.
Old 09-18-20, 08:28 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If you have multiple bikes intended for the same purpose then matching components is probably a good idea. But most people I know, even those with extensive fleets of bikes, usually only have one bike for each purpose - one 'road' bike, one CX or gravel or touring bike which would generally have tires too wide to fit on a road bike, or a fat bike and an XC mountain bike, again with tires that cannot be interchangeable.
Old 09-18-20, 09:25 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
The only thing that I have standardized are pedals. I don't want to have different shoes for different bikes.
Likes For bblair:
Old 09-18-20, 10:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Spending extra for electronic shifting sounds kind of crazy,

but having swappable wheelsets is good if available.
Old 09-18-20, 12:09 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Spending extra for electronic shifting sounds kind of crazy,

but having swappable wheelsets is good if available.
What about from a purely maintenance perspective? Do you think not having to deal with adjusting/replacing shift cables, etc. be worth the extra cost?
Old 09-18-20, 01:15 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
What about from a purely maintenance perspective? Do you think not having to deal with adjusting/replacing shift cables, etc. be worth the extra cost?

If anything, I see more folks having trouble with their electronic shifting than with mechanical.

Dropout of function, dead batteries, broken FD, mysterious wiring issues.

I know they're very popular, & not bashing.

Also, for me the backup bike is for foul weather, mixed rides, loaner, & lower theft potential, so high-strung and expensive is not the best choice.
Old 09-18-20, 09:27 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input, really helpful to get different perspectives. Ended up going with the mechanical, rim brake bike. Think it should fit the bill very well. Why I love BikeForums.