Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are road and TT bikes so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are road and TT bikes so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 08:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Iceland was the first nation to get hit in fact .... the CDO phenomenon swept across global markets ....

But I don't want to support the use of facts here .... this thread was just starting to get good ....
We could get back to noodles.

I saw a video about The Best Noodle Shop In Japan, which was amazing. 4 different kinds of dried fish go into the broth, which simmers for 4 days or more, Then the chef mixes each day's broth by feel/taste. I might finance THOSE noodles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-21-20, 09:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's the basic problem - the whole thing came about because EVERYONE, at every level, assumed somebody was "in charge". "They wouldn't let you do it if it was dangerous". That goes from the homebuyers all the way up to the Fed Chairman, but let's be clear here - the farther up the chain you go, the more that person brings in a big salary based on the expectation that they WON'T do something stupid.
Yes, this is true.

Alan Greenspan was like an old grad school classmate of mine: when he talked, he used a lot of big words and sounded confident, so others assumed, well, that he just must have been smarter than the rest of us. As it turned out, he just smoked more dope than the rest of us.

I have precisely as many degrees in economics as does Greenspan, and rarely could make sense of his public pronouncements. I think the Presidents who appointed and reappointed him, and the Senators on the Banking Committee, must have been truly baffled. But they assumed that a guy with those big words and big glasses just must have been smart.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-21-20, 10:07 AM
alphaphoenix

Bikes: 90' Rockhopper (gravel conversion)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^LOL - this made my day.
Old 09-21-20, 11:40 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
i just wait til they are 20 years old, then titanium + dura ace is like $500
Likes For wle:
Old 09-21-20, 11:51 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
My current road bike is a Nashbar AL1 that cost $425 new. It's almost all Shimano Soria, which works faultlessly, and I replaced the brakes and rear derailleur with Ultegra. It's a great, fun, nicely handling 21.5 pound bike. I suppose I should be ashamed, but I'm not. I love it.
My Gravel Bike is a sub 18 pound $2500 Carbon Trek and I love it too.
My MTB is a thirty plus year old El Capitan from Yokota, long since gone. Great bike then, great bike now. Heavy as hell.
I've been looking at new Carbon bikes, but I see no reason at present to replace any of these. If I see a good carbon frame with a good package around $1k, I might buy another road bike.

BTW, the $400 AL1 is as good a ride as my old 85 Gios Torino with fully campy, only the brakes and derailleurs are far better, and it cost considerably less. In today's dollars I paid $3k for the Gios.
Old 09-21-20, 08:24 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 115 Posts
So, we now have a seven page urination contest that makes little
sense. Way too many people with way too much time on their hands. Get off the computer and go for a ride!
Cheers,
Old 09-21-20, 08:59 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
So, we now have a seven page urination contest that makes little
sense. Way too many people with way too much time on their hands. Get off the computer and go for a ride!
Cheers,
I'm still shaking it.
Likes For afm199: