Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Subaru Elephant Rock Ride - Anyone Doing It?

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 12:09 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about doing the Elephant Rock ride. I don't think I wanna do the full century, but might do the 62 mile ride.

Anyone else going? What's the ride like? How's, gosh, parking?
Old 01-27-10, 12:15 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I've done it a couple times, the 62 and 50. This year I may do the 100 with work folks.

One thing to plan for: get there EARLY. It's a madhouse.

The ride opens up with a nice hill inside the first three miles to open the legs. Expect lots of people walking. Then skip the first aid station, it's way too crowded, and you'll get to the others before they're packed. I think the route has changed slightly since I've done the metric, with Rollercoaster Rd no longer in the picture? Anyhoo, if you get out early enough, you'll be heading back north through Palmer Lake before the headwinds kick up.

It's a great ride, pretty well supported, but also pretty dern crowded. Get in-n-out early--
Old 01-28-10, 01:15 PM
UGASkiDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the 100 last year along with 4500 of my closest friends. The first 20 miles or so to the turnoff for the 100 ride is a madhouse and crazy packed. After the 100 miles it gets pretty reasonable...I'll probably do it again as a training ride for Bicycle Tour of Colorado or Ride the Rockies.
Old 01-28-10, 02:11 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 2,327 Times in 891 Posts
I've done the 100 mile course the past three years and plan on doing it again this year. It's a nice early season ride. #1 on getting there early 'cause the traffic can be pretty bad.
Old 01-29-10, 09:51 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did it a couple times. Races are safer. No thanks.
Old 01-30-10, 06:36 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I did it a couple times. Races are safer. No thanks.
+1

The year I rode a lady from Boulder was killed - not by a car, but by bike congestion combined with a pot hole. I don't understand riding with 5,000 other folks - perhaps one knows two o fthem, when one could take an equally (or more) enjoyable ride with a few friends and no congestion.

Oh well!! I guess I am getting old. Perhaps, at 70, I am!!
Old 02-01-10, 12:32 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 2,327 Times in 891 Posts
I don't know. I think it's fun. Superdex is right though. Skip the first aid station and the crowd thins out pretty well after that.
Old 02-02-10, 02:18 PM
ProudDaddy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It is a good event and well supported. If it weren't, it would not have reached its 7,500? capacity the last couple years. I've done the century a couple times and pulled the burly with the family at the 32 distance (not recommended unless u have more patient children than mine). I may try to break 5 hours in the century this year. Last year was 5 hours and 4 minutes iirc. There are plenty of riders of all abilities to match yourself up with.

Also, try to avoid the Palmer Lake rest stop if possible. I was parched and had to stop there last year - it is one heckuva long hike.
Old 02-09-10, 11:55 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been spending time on my trainer the last couple of weeks with the intention of preping myself for E-Rock this year. I don't know if I'll sign up or not, but for now, that is my plan. I've done the metric and the century. I live in Castle Rock just a couple of blocks from the fairgrounds, so I either plan to ride that day, not leave the house, or leave town the night before. Parking and traffic are a nighmare, and getting in and out of my neighborhood is virtually impossible. It may sound silly, but the smart riders camp out at the fairgrounds the night before. The ride itself is great and very well supported. Like superdex suggested, skip the first re-fueling station if you can stand to. It is by far the most crowded and hectic since it is shared by the most coarses. The roads and scenery are awesome. I think the metric century is about the ideal ride. The extra 40 miles on the century don't offer anything different or better than the first 60 except fewer riders. The only reason to go 100 is to be able to say you did it. Get an early start to beat the wind, heat, or afternoon t-storms. Pace yourself because it's not like riding a single pass where you ride up and up and up and then coast down to the finish line. Every time you enjoy a good downhill, the next climb feels even bigger than the last. I don't know if Rollercoaster Rd is included in either of the big coarses this year, but it is definately a challenge and will suck the energy right out of you. If you're prone to cramping, Rollercoaster Rd will be your nemisis. Otherwise, the first climb (Lake Gulch) and the last climb (Tomah Rd.) are probably the most daunting.
Old 02-18-10, 05:35 PM
hocker

Bikes: Road and Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-rock is okay, but it seems like a lot of folks get hurt. Just saying, but I guess with 4500 the odds are someone will. There are a ton of great centuries in Colorado to choose from. My personal favorite, though not in Colorado, is the Santa Fe Century. Rolling hills, well organized, and you can't beat the food and art in SF.
Old 03-06-10, 10:44 AM
ummbnb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it for the first time last year and wasn't terribly impressed with the support/services provided by the ride organizers. I doubt I'll do it again.